More Singapore-Bangkok flights axed as travellers shun city

webfact

More S'pore-Bkk flights axed as travellers shun city
Karamjit Kaur
The Straits Times

SINGAPORE: -- Fewer flights are being operated between Singapore and Bangkok as more travellers continue to shun the volatile Thai capital.

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has confirmed a second round of cuts to its flights to Bangkok, while budget carrier Tigerair axed its first flights on Monday.

Travel agents foresee more cancellations in the coming weeks as the city went into a 60-day state of emergency from Thursday.

SIA spokesman Nicholas Ionides said that in view of the current situation, the airline will cut another 24 flights to Bangkok from now until Feb 27.

This is on top of a previously announced reduction of 19 flights.

SIA, which usually flies five times a day to Bangkok, will put affected customers on other flights or give them a refund, he said.

Tigerair is cutting six flights in the week to Monday, a spokesman said.

Affected customers and those who bought their tickets on or before January 10 for travel to Bangkok from now until February 10 will be spared the usual charges for flight changes.

But they will have to pay the fare difference, if any, for new travel dates or destinations.

Budget carriers AirAsia, Jetstar and Scoot said they have not axed services but are monitoring the situation in Bangkok.

A Jetstar spokesman said the airline will waive the usual fees for flight changes, subject to certain conditions being met, for travellers who do not wish to continue with their flight plans.

Scoot will not waive the fees.

Said its chief executive officer Campbell Wilson: "Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not changed its travel guidance for Bangkok, which continues to advise visitors to stay away from large crowds and demonstrations and monitor local news and developments closely, but does not recommend against travelling to Bangkok."

Urging Singaporeans to stay alert, the ministry, which updated its website advisory on Thursday, noted that demonstrations which are meant to be peaceful "can turn confrontational, and escalate into violence without warning".

Singaporeans visiting Bangkok are encouraged to pre-register with the ministry and contact the Singapore embassy in Bangkok should they need assistance.

Chan Brothers Travel has had several cancellations for bookings to Bangkok but not everyone is staying away, said its spokesman Michelle Yin.

She said: "We know people who have just returned from Bangkok claiming that they did not feel any tension from the protests while they were there."

Dynasty Travel’s director for marketing communications Alicia Seah said that since last month, about six in 10 Bangkok-bound customers have either postponed their trips or gone elsewhere.

She said: "We hope normalcy will return by mid-February so that there is no impact on demand during the March school holidays."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-24

Well done to the government!!thumbsup.gif

First you bankrupt the ricefarmers, and now you are killing the livelihood for all the people working in the service-industry!!

Thank you, three times!!coffee1.gif

Of course, the anti government protests have nothing to do with it. It must be that evil Thaksin clan that's behind all these flight cancellations.

The assumption is that these "lost passengers" are all tourists. Some, undoubtedly are, but how many are business travellers who have discovered the wonders of modern day communications - the telephone, fax, email and maybe even video conferencing?

First you bankrupt the ricefarmers, and now you are killing the livelihood for all the people working in the service-industry!!

Of course, the anti government protests have nothing to do with it. It must be that evil Thaksin clan that's behind all these flight cancellations.

You took the words out of my mouth , yes Thaksin clan is evil....

• Like 2

Are you mad?? I think you have lost the plot completely, blame the Government wow

I am not a supporter of any colour but why do you blame the government for this am I correct in believing that it is Suthep and his yobs who are holding Bangkok ransom by blocking the streets and please tell me what the previous government did when they forced themselves in by the back door as far as I am concerned they were no better at running the country I for one do not want to live in a country where people do not have the freedom to vote that is un democratic if you believe it is right maybe you should go and visit North Korea the experience might change your mind.

• Like 1

And that is what happens if you foolhardily declare a State of Emergency, because it only serves to signal other countries that you as a (caretaker) government are no longer able to control the country and that the situation has become grave.

Agree ! There was NOT any reason to declare the State of Emergency as all those rally protests were PEACEFUL ! It was the Toxin clan who started the VIOLENCE... and now whiner YL took this action... Great example how incompetent she is.... time to get rid of that discusting puppet ! tip for her : Go take some lessons in camel riding in the desert where they will treat you as a (fallen) Princess... coffee1.gif

all those rally protests were PEACEFUL !

Killing a cop, beating a taxi driver half to death and firing shots into a mosque where children are. Yes very peaceful. I'd love to hear your definition of violent.

Edited by diceq

The assumption is that these "lost passengers" are all tourists. Some, undoubtedly are, but how many are business travellers who have discovered the wonders of modern day communications - the telephone, fax, email and maybe even video conferencing?

Or just travellers of any kind transfering at BKK to onward flights.

And that is what happens if you foolhardily declare a State of Emergency, because it only serves to signal other countries that you as a (caretaker) government are no longer able to control the country and that the situation has become grave.

Agree ! There was NOT any reason to declare the State of Emergency as all those rally protests were PEACEFUL ! It was the Toxin clan who started the VIOLENCE... and now whiner YL took this action... Great example how incompetent she is.... time to get rid of that discusting puppet ! tip for her : Go take some lessons in camel riding in the desert where they will treat you as a (fallen) Princess... coffee1.gif

...or actually might be sold to Yemen for a couple of camels and a few goats.

Well done to

the government!!thumbsup.gif

First you bankr

upt the ricefarmers, and now you are killing the livelihood for all the people working in the service-industry!!

Sad,

Thailand deserves better that that.

There are still too many naive foreigners who dream of Thailand beiing a friendly place. Eventually, they will come to their senses and will scrap their flights, too, and eventually, Thailand will need to prove how good it can do without all that foreign money!

Arrogance will get what it asks for!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Thank you Mr Sethup for f***ing up Bangkok

Bangkok was <deleted>**ed up already in 2010.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And youd think the deputy PM from then would know better now because of it.... oh well monkey monkey do i suppose.

Every cloud has a silver lining we can look forward to some great promotional deals in the not too distant future and the exchange rate is looking ever more favourable for those with overseas funding.

Killing a cop, beating a taxi driver half to death and firing shots into a mosque where children are. Yes very peaceful. I'd love to hear your definition of violent.

The report said that a gun was fired outside a mosque, it is your own often-repeated embellishment (aka lie) that SHOTS were fired INTO a mosque.

BTW that event was quite some distance from BKK, the subject of this thread.

Edited by JRSoul

Just to start it off, is throwing rocks and chunks of Concrete considered "Peaceful"??? Not what I would consider peaceful,,,

Pianoman

If the government did their job right there would be nothing to protest about.

There would be no corruption/rice scam

Thaksin would be in prison.

The police would not extort money from helmetless bikers.

But don't expect eutopia anytime soon.