GPS in Thailand

stament

I'm going to hire a car and wondered if I could just download some GPS app on my iphone rather than paying the daily rate for a GPS system from the hire company.

Does anyone know if this would be as good and if so can recommend an app and the cost?

Many thanks

Google maps and the Iphone map app both need to use the internet while you navigate, so if you you plan to use it a lot it might be cheaper to buy an app or GPS device. Both do their job well.

Many use the Sygic app which is available for both Android and Iphone, works well. The app will cost about 1000B for Thailand only or you get the "World edition" which is on sale for about 2.700B. One time investment that may pay off if you travel a lot.

Google maps and the Iphone map app both need to use the internet while you navigate, so if you you plan to use it a lot it might be cheaper to buy an app or GPS device. Both do their job well.

Many use the Sygic app which is available for both Android and Iphone, works well. The app will cost about 1000B for Thailand only or you get the "World edition" which is on sale for about 2.700B. One time investment that may pay off if you travel a lot.

Many thanks for the informative posts. I was thinking about an app on my phone to be honest. If I download the app how will it work the same as GPS in the car (as this doesn't use the internet) i.e. will it turn my phone into a GPS device?

I've recently moved to Dubai and so probably worth investing in an app that is worldwide as driving here is a nightmare! Also good point about the internet as it's not available everywhere in Thailand!

Many thanks

Unless your phone has a GPS as part of the hardware, it will not work as a GPS.

It will work like a GPS if you have internet access. A phone without a GPS chip cannot be used for navigation as you couldn´t get an accurate enough position. AFAIK

Personally, I think buying a auto GPS is money well spent.

The Iphone from 3G onwards does have it´s own GPS chip onboard, totally indipendent. After you´ve installed your offline GPS app you can use it in your car just like any other navigator. You don´t need cellular data or anything else. You even don´t need a sim card inserted to use the GPS function. But a Sim will improove the accuracy, as well as the wireless lan function will also be used to get additional position data.

The only problem is that the GPS hardware in the Iphones isn´t as sophisticated as a premium GPS Device. But an Iphone 4 does work well already, better is an Iphone 4S though. The 4S has a better GPS chip and can also recieve the russian GPS equivalent Glonass signal.

Afaik you can try the Sygic software 7 days for free, but you will have to check that yourself as I already got it on my device and cannot verify that anymore. So you could try if you will be happy with your phone as your navigator. For Thailand there aren´t too many software choices, for Europe or the USA there are countless perfectly reliable free alternatives.

youtube.com/watch?v=x_fcVoggoWk

Edited by I knew this would happen

Just get a sim card with data for gods sake. It would cost much cheaper than buying an old, outdated technology garmin navigator (maps are good but tech wise it is old)

Google maps and apple maps works just fine. Just buy a phone holder to keep your phone in windscreen thats it.

Just get a sim card with data for gods sake. It would cost much cheaper than buying an old, outdated technology garmin navigator (maps are good but tech wise it is old)

Google maps and apple maps works just fine. Just buy a phone holder to keep your phone in windscreen thats it.

Would google and apple maps verbally direct me though? Sorry I only use google maps for the map part of it never used it for satnav and directions purposes (apart from reading the directions that is).

Would google and apple maps verbally direct me though? Sorry I only use google maps for the map part of it never used it for satnav and directions purposes (apart from reading the directions that is).

Both of them support voice directions in Thailand. This depends on country, but Thailand is supported. Also, they can re-route if you take a wrong turn.

Go to Gps maps in Thailand forum a lot of info there or spend 4,000bt for garmin unit with Thai map installed, can use when you go back to your home country so money not wasted.

No don’t buy the 4,000 thb Garmin. The map is in Thai only. English imput and voice availible but all POI’s are in Thai only, and the map itself is Thai only. This is not like the older unit I've owned for the last five years which has the english map and POI’s…

Good maps are availible at the app store. “Navagator” is a stand alone GPS that has a free Thai map that’s good and in English.

Of course the google maps are also good if you have internet connection.

Go to Gps maps in Thailand forum a lot of info there or spend 4,000bt for garmin unit with Thai map installed, can use when you go back to your home country so money not wasted.

No don’t buy the 4,000 thb Garmin. The map is in Thai only. English imput and voice availible but all POI’s are in Thai only, and the map itself is Thai only. This is not like the older unit I've owned for the last five years which has the english map and POI’s…

Good maps are availible at the app store. “Navagator” is a stand alone GPS that has a free Thai map that’s good and in English.

Of course the google maps are also good if you have internet connection.

Not true; Available from distributor in English. Mr Art at Gadgetrend Bkk. Have it on mine a Nuvi I use as a spare.