Amazing Thailand, What's the most shocking/amazing thing you seen in Thailand?

lmfao

Thailand always seem's to amaze me everyday, what are the most amazing experiences or wildest stories, or events you have seen or experience while in Thailand?

Your amazing stories big or small.. it would be interesting to hear them smile.png

Edited by lmfao

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the very worst was a beggar in nong khai with no arms and legs at all just small stumps at each limb .seated on a small stool .i cant imagine how he ended up like this .

very depressing sight that never leaves me .

and the young boy biker in BKK who had crashed and his head was squashed as flat as a pancake with blood all over the road

Shocking - finding out that burnt limbless beggar and the kidnapped-trafficked 13-y.o. sex worker were slaves of high-up police officers.

That most people supported drug dealers being summarily executed by police, even though they knew it was largely to eliminate the competition.

Shocked to learn just how bad the quality of education is in Thai-managed schools, even very expensive "elite" ones patronized by relatively wealthy Bangkokians.

Shocked that some people think the leaders of Thailand are capable of coming up with some form of government that works better than the psudo-democracy imported from the west.

Amazing how the poorest upcountry people are the kindest and happiest people in the Kingdom.

Amazing how much trouble poor people would go to to return my valuable lost property and then refuse a thank you tip.

Amazing how lovely the girls and delicious the food.

Amazing how tolerant and accepting Thais are of the shenanigans we foreigners get up to.

"Amazing how the poorest upcountry people are the kindest and happiest people in the Kingdom.

Amazing how much trouble poor people would go to to return my valuable lost property and then refuse a thank you tip.

Amazing how lovely the girls and delicious the food.

Amazing how tolerant and accepting Thais are of the shenanigans we foreigners get up to".

Sorry dude I think your missing out in a large section of life with these views.

I hope you see the light. The spiritual light my brother wink.png

The most shocking and amazing thing i have witnessed, in my innercircle, i have seen worse though but ...., is that in 2005 i saw a young girl selling flowers.....so sweet and lovely....at the age of around 4.....and that in 2009 when i saw her 1st time again....the sweetness in her eyes had changed into a stonecold feeling of only doing her job......an innocent life ruined by her parents/caretakers/bosses.

I will never ever forget those 2 differences in the young girls eyes. Sad !

the very worst was a beggar in nong khai with no arms and legs at all just small stumps at each limb .seated on a small stool .i cant imagine how he ended up like this .

very depressing sight that never leaves me .

and the young boy biker in BKK who had crashed and his head was squashed as flat as a pancake with blood all over the road

Similar, seeing a old beggar in a similar state, but not on a stool just lying just about face down to the pavement trying to move along the pavement on his stumps just outside an upmarket shopping mall in Bkk with all the hi so waking around him and I wondered the same, and for the first and only time in my life I put my hand in my wallet and dropped THB 1000 in his cup, if was a "scam" ie he was put there by a "gang" running the beggars I lost USD 30, big deal, but it was the real deal, I really hope the money helped him and the people who take care of him as someone must be looking after him

I have never seen such a pitiful sight in all my life

• Like 1

My wedding night in Isaan when a neighbor flew several kites throughout the night. The kites were huge and had strings on them that made a musical note. All night long they hummed this hypnotic, ethereal tone.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mmmmmm......to me that sound will always remind me of cool season nights in Mahasarakham. At night, even when there is seemingly no wind at ground level, those kites seem to pick up a breeze and sing mournfully through to dawn. By the way, hope you weren't so hypnotised by the sound of the kites that you forgot what wedding nights are supposed to be all about! smile.pngwhistling.gif

Shocking!! returning back to camp with a young squaddie on his first visit to an isaan village, being stopped by 2 thai men ,who immediately opened fire with automatic weapons, the young fella died of his injuries, sadly it was a case of mistaken identities!!

amazing 45 years of great and generous friendship with my extensive thai/lao/Khmer family indeepest Isaan!!

Not shocking but an overturned tanker on mittraparp highway in khon kaen with about 50 locals standing there with as many containers as they could handle waiting to collect the fuel made me do a double take. Like something out of mad max 2.

Enough of shocking. Amazing - another cow story. We were driving home along a narrow river track yesterday about midday. Water very clear, sparkling but cold. Came across some cows being fed corn husks in their small compound overlooking the river. One of them had just given birth to a beautiful grey and red coloured calf. All the other cows were busy munching the corn. The air smelt good. Everyone, including us, the farmer and the cows were very happy.

- Its the small things that really matter

• Like 1

Nothing new under the Sun or Moon.

The most beautiful and needed things are free.

Possessions do not make happiness.

Do not get attached - stay free.

And some are more poetic than others, - cannot help this.

Yes went to his gang handler/owners.

Better to buy him nutritious food.

Your most likely right, I should point out I have been in Thailand long enough to know the "scams" and have worked in enough other 3rd world countries to know these "scams" go on all over, and have never been " taken in" by a sob story , but to this day I still don't know why I did what I did with this particular guy

Even if his handlers did take all the money, one can only hope he got a better meal that day from them for being a "good earner" on his "shift"

• Like 1

Getting street directions from a Thai. Amazing!

Ordering one dish and receiving something completely different. Amazing!

Driving 80km OVER the limit. Also Amazing!

But, gorgeous people and country so wouldn't swap it for anything!

About the driving, I would add "driving over the limit while towing another car AND doing an overtake"..

The most shocking and amazing thing i have witnessed, in my innercircle, i have seen worse though but ...., is that in 2005 i saw a young girl selling flowers.....so sweet and lovely....at the age of around 4.....and that in 2009 when i saw her 1st time again....the sweetness in her eyes had changed into a stonecold feeling of only doing her job......an innocent life ruined by her parents/caretakers/bosses.

I will never ever forget those 2 differences in the young girls eyes. Sad !

I saw something similar beginning in about 2000. Father with two young boys selling flowers on the median at an intersection in town. Drove by them a couple times a week since then. The old man is still there, the one boy disappeared, and the other bow has a wife and baby on the median.