need a good cheap smartphone that also works back in canada

driedmango

need a full feathered smartphone, with sd card slot, removable battery, android, has all radios - gps, world bands, usb otg, ... the works.. was thinking samsung galaxy s3 but they are cheaper back in canada, saw this "go live" smarphone at 711 and it looks good from outside but are they locked and what bands do they hae, anyone have any tips here for a good cheap brand.. lost my computer/phone and all that recently so kind of need something asap.. and cheap./

Casualbiker's advice is a great place to start. The next bit of information should be to google up the "cellphone operation frequencies" for both Thailand and Canada. But I'll give you a hint, mostly anything you buy either in a store in Thailand like http://www.jaymart.co.th/index.asp this place or MBK (second hand) will often work. Your S3 idea is a pretty good one as there are lots of accessories (cases) for it, and it still has lots of potential (free software to improve functionality) and longevity to it. Just remember to get at least one spare battery. try not to buy from anyplace that's too dodgy.

good luck

Edited by pineconehead

LENOVO is a worldwide brand now the 3rd largest producer of smartphones. They are known for outstanding build quality. They are currently making a big push into North America and Thailand. For B2999 you can buy their A390 or slightly more up to date A369 running Android 4.2, a standard no frills smartphone. With 512K RAM, you wouldn't be playing 3D games but as a phone and Android platform, it will do the job.

I recently purchased a LENOVO P-780. It's standout feature is a 4000 mAh battery that lasts 2+ days of heavy usage on one charge. Otherwise, it is a decent but unspectacular 5" screen phone running Android 4.2 also. It has a good screen and does all I want it to do. About B7500 in Bangkok