Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thailand third worst in the world for road deaths; Phuket killing someone every three days

webfact

@ wilcopops

See if you can find any evidence that it doesn't work. Remember, it's only got to save ONE life, and it has worked.

Ok, I will speak for myself. I went on one visa run in a minibus, a few years ago - never again. Now, I fly for my visa runs. Did graphic pictures effect my decision to fly, no, because I didn't need to see them - I know I would havw died if that crazy visa run driver crashed.

What about all the news stories of bus crashes in Thailand. Don't you think this causes some people to fly???? Don't you think people can mentally picture the carnage when to vehicle collide at 100 kmph?

You mention the UK. Here's one story I remember that must have had an effect on people's choice of mode of transport for long distances in Thailand. I believe these mothers created a website - I just couldn't find it.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/sep/16/thailand-mothers-memory-sons

No need for graphic pictures. The news stories and road statistics in Thailand speak for themself.

You mention EDUCATION. Here's some education for you. Thailand is a 3rd World Country with poor safety standards, poorly maintained vehicles, and where corruption is rife.

Road transport is barely regulated and road laws hardly enforced. No need to see graphic pictures when you know this. It makes the decision NOT to get on the roads here and easy one.

The title of this thread speaks for itself.

"What about all the news stories of bus crashes in Thailand. Don't you think this causes some people to fly???? Don't you think people can mentally picture the carnage when to vehicle collide at 100 kmph?"

And there are no collisions/deaths on the roads to and from the airport huh? cheesy.gif

When your number is up..it's up..end of, IMO

Also, pedantic maybe, but LOS is not a 3rd world country...

Yes, of course there are accidents to and from the airport, however a 1 hour journey, compared to a 12 hour journey, is considerably less risk.

If your number is up..that's it..its up....you can get yourself killed just crossing the road...wrong place at the wrong time is all it takes..

No - it takes a wide combination of factors on both sides ....nothing JUST HAPPENS!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ wilcopops

See if you can find any evidence that it doesn't work. Remember, it's only got to save ONE life, and it has worked.

Ok, I will speak for myself. I went on one visa run in a minibus, a few years ago - never again. Now, I fly for my visa runs. Did graphic pictures effect my decision to fly, no, because I didn't need to see them - I know I would havw died if that crazy visa run driver crashed.

What about all the news stories of bus crashes in Thailand. Don't you think this causes some people to fly???? Don't you think people can mentally picture the carnage when to vehicle collide at 100 kmph?

You mention the UK. Here's one story I remember that must have had an effect on people's choice of mode of transport for long distances in Thailand. I believe these mothers created a website - I just couldn't find it.

No need for graphic pictures. The news stories and road statistics in Thailand speak for themself.

You mention EDUCATION. Here's some education for you. Thailand is a 3rd World Country with poor safety standards, poorly maintained vehicles, and where corruption is rife.

Road transport is barely regulated and road laws hardly enforced. No need to see graphic pictures when you know this. It makes the decision NOT to get on the roads here and easy one.

"What about all the news stories of bus crashes in Thailand. Don't you think this causes some people to fly???? Don't you think people can mentally picture the carnage when to vehicle collide at 100 kmph?"

And there are no collisions/deaths on the roads to and from the airport huh? cheesy.gif

Yes, of course there are accidents to and from the airport, however a 1 hour journey, compared to a 12 hour journey, is considerably less risk.

Again this is rubbish.....around 70% of all serious accidents happen within 16 km from "home". - time and again people are relying on perception rather than reality.

Edited by wilcopops

I didn't read everything, but was there any talk about doing something to stop one of the most common problems of children riding motorcycles and against traffic? Often 4 or so of them on one and none with helmets on. Near my home, where there are some schools, I have seen that situation often as they ride merrily by a BIB going the wrong way on the shoulder and he doesn't bat an eye. I might also suggest that they actually test people on the road in real traffic before issuing a diving licence.

Many countries actually have drivers who have either never taken a test or took one that was so easy it was a joke....

Most of these drivers are older as countries have introduced more thorough driver TRAINING and testing.

2 examples: -

USA - whose tests were (and still are??) a joke, Belgium who didn't have a test till the 1970s

The problem is that this means that most people tested before measures were taken are potential road hazards. (Probably several who post on this site!)

motorbikes account for about 70% of road deaths in Thailand and has little to do with driving ability - it is down to one thing and one thing alone - WEARING OF HELMETS. again it seems that few people grasp what a helmet does for the wearer in an accident. Mabny people end up lying on the road in apparently perfect condition but dead; it is only later that it becomes clear that they died from brain injury due to a slight glancing blow as they fell off the bike- even at crawling speeds.

Take those deaths out of Thai state and you get a remarkably different picture.

Edited by wilcopops

Again this is rubbish.....around 70% of all serious accidents happen within 16 km from "home". - time and again people are relying on perception rather than reality.

Yes, of course, because also on the longer journeys people depart from or go to home.

So your stat has no reference on the claim of NKM.

@ wilcopops

Ahhh, are you seriously telling me that being on the road for 12 hours is the same risk as being on the road for 1 hour???? cheesy.gif

In relation to your "16 km from home" - you do realise Phuket is a small tropical island. For most locals, tourists and expats, at any given time, on Phuket, they will be 16 km or less from their home, but only because Phuket is small.

In relation to "70% of all serious accidents happen 16 km from home" - please quote your source, especially in relation to Thailand.

I didn't read everything, but was there any talk about doing something to stop one of the most common problems of children riding motorcycles and against traffic? Often 4 or so of them on one and none with helmets on. Near my home, where there are some schools, I have seen that situation often as they ride merrily by a BIB going the wrong way on the shoulder and he doesn't bat an eye. I might also suggest that they actually test people on the road in real traffic before issuing a diving licence.

Many countries actually have drivers who have either never taken a test or took one that was so easy it was a joke....

Most of these drivers are older as countries have introduced more thorough driver TRAINING and testing.

USA - whose tests were (and still are??) a joke, Belgium who didn't have a test till the 1970s

The problem is that this means that most people tested before measures were taken are potential road hazards. (Probably several who post on this site!)

motorbikes account for about 70% of road deaths in Thailand and has little to do with driving ability - it is down to one thing and one thing alone - WEARING OF HELMETS. again it seems that few people grasp what a helmet does for the wearer in an accident. Mabny people end up lying on the road in apparently perfect condition but dead; it is only later that it becomes clear that they died from brain injury due to a slight glancing blow as they fell off the bike- even at crawling speeds.

"motorbikes account for about 70% of road deaths in Thailand and has little to do with driving ability - it is down to one thing and one thing alone - WEARING OF HELMETS."

Sorry , but it is you talking garbage..,",little to do with driving ability??" ,,bizarre....w00t.gif..Its a whole lot to do with driving ability!!

wearing a helmet should be the last optional precaution in the chain of events leading to lowering the road toll ...if all the multitude of accident creating problems on the roads were fixed the death toll of motorcyclists would be instantly a small % of what they are now.

The 5E's[from you] amongst many many other things are what is needed to lower the road toll here.

• Like 1

Yes, of course, because also on the longer journeys people depart from or go to home.

Firstly many people drive mostly near home, but it has also been suggested that when nearer home people tend to be less "on their guard. This also suggest that on longer journeys people take more care. This would be backed up by the statements above where posters "naturally" assume that a longer journey is more dangerous, whereas it would actually appear that the opposite is the case.

as for stats - What do you mean by NKM?

As this is a forum and not an academic paper I seldom produce citations, it is my opinion that people should do their own research on subjects before they post.

usually those who ask for "stats" or " citations" are simply covering for the fact that they don't actually have an argument of their own.

Edited by wilcopops

"motorbikes account for about 70% of road deaths in Thailand and has little to do with driving ability - it is down to one thing and one thing alone - WEARING OF HELMETS."

I've just finished reading the below thread, posted on the Phuket forum at 2pm today.

It's about a 15 year old student killed on his motorbike and he was wearing a helmet.

Sure, you can say he his part of the other 30% and people with helmets do die - but 15 years old, 3 on his bike, most likely speeding and definately at fault in the accident - I would say that would have a lot to do with driving ability and poor judgement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703663-one-phuket-student-killed-two-injured-in-motorbike-accident/

Once again, please quote where you are getting your stats from.

• Like 1

I've just finished reading the below thread, posted on the Phuket forum at 2pm today.

It's about a 15 year old student killed on his motorbike and he was wearing a helmet.

Sure, you can say he his part of the other 30% and people with helmets do die - but 15 years old, 3 on his bike, most likely speeding and definately at fault in the accident - I would say that would have a lot to do with driving ability and poor judgement.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703663-one-phuket-student-killed-two-injured-in-motorbike-accident/

Yes - that's the problem, most of the posters on this thread don't seem to be able to get past the concept of driver culpability, the truth is that this is only one of many factors involved - including the 5/Es and the other driver.

The idea of sinlge issue "reasons" or causes is a non-starter. However when a rider comes off a bike - whatever the cause, regardless of speed or "blame" - the chances of survival are dramatically reduced.

the concept of blame is of cause totally meaningless in itself as this seldom has any relation to the death of the individual or otherwise.

Edited by wilcopops

I think this is the crux of the problem with many posters on this thread and the perceptions of road safety in general - this banal interpretation of stats is preventing people from understanding even the most basic concepts surrounding the issues.

Sorry , but it is you talking garbage..,",little to do with driving ability??" ,,bizarre....w00t.gif..Its a whole lot to do with driving ability!!

wearing a helmet should be the last optional precaution in the chain of events leading to lowering the road toll ...if all the multitude of accident creating problems on the roads were fixed the death toll of motorcyclists would be instantly a small % of what they are now.

The 5E's[from you] amongst many many other things are what is needed to lower the road toll here.

"Sorry , but it is you talking garbage..,",little to do with driving ability??" ,,bizarre....w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif..Its a whole lot to do with driving ability!!

wearing a helmet should be the last optional precaution in the chain of events leading to lowering the road toll ...if all the multitude of accident creating problems on the roads were fixed the death toll of motorcyclists would be instantly a small % of what they are now." QED! This poster has no idea of how important a helmet is.

• Like 1

"The 5E's[from you] amongst many many other things are what is needed to lower the road toll here." - please what do you consider to be "other things" outside the 5Es?

Firstly many people drive mostly near home, but it has also been suggested that when nearer home people tend to be less "on their guard. This also suggest that on longer journeys people take more care. This would be backed up by the statements above where posters "naturally" assume that a longer journey is more dangerous, whereas it would actually appear that the opposite is the case.

as for stats - What do you mean by NKM?

As this is a forum and not an academic paper I seldom produce citations, it is my opinion that people should do their own research on subjects before they post.

usually those who ask for "stats" or " citations" are simply covering for the fact that they don't actually have an argument of their own.

Again, your interpretation of the stats is totally wrong. "This would be backed up by the statements above where posters "naturally" assume that a longer journey is more dangerous, whereas it would actually appear that the opposite is the case." Per kilometer you are correct, but not with a general statement like this.

And no, sorry, it does not work this way. You claim from stats, that means you have to be able to come up with those stats, and when queried about them not say 'do it yourself, this is a forum'. Or refrain from using the stats, especially since you have the nasty habit of interpreting them incorrectly to suit your own arguments.

​I have to say I'm somewhat amused at your belief in the "correct" interpretation of stats - it just goes to underline your naivety.

if you have a REAL point to make about road safety in Thailand why not put it forward - I have - if you actually think an argument is faulty, false or incorrect, why not put forward a counter argument rather than getting into semantics about stats which is what people do when they haven't got a counter argument.

Edited by wilcopops

​I have to say I'm somewhat amused at your belief in the "correct" interpretation of stats - it just goes to underline your naivety.

if you have a REAL point to make about road safety in Thailand why not put it forward - I have - if you actually think an argument is faulty, false or incorrect, why not put forward a counter argument rather than getting into semantics about stats which is what people do when they haven't got a counter argument.

So, the statistics you are posting can not be quoted from any source and just represent your opinion. Nice one. :) :)

Look at the title of the thread: "Thailand third worst for road deaths; Phuket killing someone every three days." - statistics bought about these findings, not opinions.

I have already put forward my main "REAL point" on road safety on Phuket - i'm well known for stating it, I'll state it again for you. Proper public transport on Phuket would go a long way to reducing traffic, road deterioration, pollution, parking problems, accidents and therefore death and injuries.

If it only saves one tourist from hiring a car or motorbike and having an accident and killing themself, or someone else, then it has worked.

• Like 1

If it only saves one tourist from hiring a car or motorbike and having an accident and killing themself, or someone else, then it has worked."

You don't even seem to realise what a fafacilecie comment this is. Come on, get up to speed before you post on this subject. The gaps in your understanding are so huge it's impossible to communicate rationally with you.

If it only saves one tourist from hiring a car or motorbike and having an accident and killing themself, or someone else, then it has worked."

You don't even seem to realise what a fafacilecie comment this is. Come on, get up to speed before you post on this subject. The gaps in your understanding are so huge it's impossible to communicate rationally with you.

Well, you could try to communicate with me, and others, by actually putting something of substance in your post. :) :)

How about doing away with U-turns into the fast lane?

How about some motorcyclists getting a license and learning some rules of the road?

How about some motorcyclists getting lights on their vehicles?

How about trucks getting some lights on?

How about the police doing their job, instead of collecting tea money?

How about car drivers being taught to accelerate out of danger occasionally instead of slowing into danger?

How about accelerating away from green traffic lights, or even how about not driving through on red?

How about having a justice system that penalizes the driver at fault whether he is a motorcyclist or a Thai?

Dadadadadadada

• Like 1

How about doing away with U-turns into the fast lane?

How about some motorcyclists getting a license and learning some rules of the road?

How about some motorcyclists getting lights on their vehicles?

How about trucks getting some lights on?

How about the police doing their job, instead of collecting tea money?

How about car drivers being taught to accelerate out of danger occasionally instead of slowing into danger?

How about accelerating away from green traffic lights, or even how about not driving through on red?

How about having a justice system that penalizes the driver at fault whether he is a motorcyclist or a Thai?

Dadadadadadada

How listing things one has observed on Thai roads helps the situation I fail to see. Basically everything on the list above is covered by the 5 Es - ...but of course if you want to make a list of problems the above list hardly scratches the surface and would hardly dent the situation in the country at present.

Nothing will change as long as there are no rolling/patrolling road police to stop and ticket offenders.

M-F I put 60-100 clicks on the bike around Phuket and for sure this year has been the worst for accidents I've seen.

Be careful out there.

No point having "rolling/patrolling road police" if they take bribes, or sexual favours from bar girls.

The amount of traffic on Phuket these days has got so much worse in recent times. That brings with it the increased risk of accidents.

Nothing will change as long as there are no rolling/patrolling road police to stop and ticket offenders.

M-F I put 60-100 clicks on the bike around Phuket and for sure this year has been the worst for accidents I've seen.

Be careful out there.

No point having "rolling/patrolling road police" if they take bribes, or sexual favours from bar girls.

The amount of traffic on Phuket these days has got so much worse in recent times. That brings with it the increased risk of accidents.

Yet another single issue myopic perspective.

Classic misunderstanding of statistics. Time and again people are making illogical assumptions based on concepts they do not understand. I'm sorry to tell you your post is rubbish as well.

This 70% figure can't tell you much without knowing the percentage of the time spent in the car within 16km from home.

If that percentage is over 70%, then short trips near home are actually safer than longer trips

Classic misunderstanding of statistics. Time and again people are making illogical assumptions based on concepts they do not understand. I'm sorry to tell you your post is rubbish as well.

This 70% figure can't tell you much without knowing the percentage of the time spent in the car within 16km from home.

If that percentage is over 70%, then short trips near home are actually safer than longer trips

Don't doubt his intrrpretation of the stats, he'll tell you only people who have nothing to add do that.

Coming up with nonsense interpretations is the way to go.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"Sorry , but it is you talking garbage..,",little to do with driving ability??" ,,bizarre....w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif..Its a whole lot to do with driving ability!!

wearing a helmet should be the last optional precaution in the chain of events leading to lowering the road toll ...if all the multitude of accident creating problems on the roads were fixed the death toll of motorcyclists would be instantly a small % of what they are now." QED! This poster has no idea of how important a helmet is.

" This poster has no idea of how important a helmet is."giggle.gif

Yeh, you think you know it all don't you? you know SFA! My 50 years of licensed motorcycle riding..,circuit racing,dirt speedway, trials riding, drags, high speed training,private tuition of motorcycle survival riding techniques, and a total of near 3/4 million kilometers on bikes alone tells me otherwise...

I well know how important a helmet can be, but it should be a personal choice, just as drinking to excess is,or eating junk food to excess,or all manner of lifestyle decisions that don't have any effect on others directly is

If i go down, its my injury or possible loss of my life..no one else is involved or killed...my choice , my consequences!

I well know how important a helmet can be, but only at the very last second, when all other dozens of road safety measures have failed [5E's]..then and only then is a helmets use going to be possibly of some benefit..up till that remote occassion it is nothing more than as i said..something to keep my hair dry on a rainy day, or to save paying BIB tea money.

Your post i'm replying to is total, uninformed garbage from you again..to reiterate;

"has little to do with driving ability - it is down to one thing and one thing alone - WEARING OF HELMETS."cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

I dont see Thais competing in the:

World Rally Championships

Formula 1

Superbikes

Perhaps as a human race they lack coordination when it comes to driving. They were driving elephants and buffalos only 50 years ago, so it could explain why.

Edited by IrishIvan

I dont see Thais competing in the:

World Rally Championships

Formula 1

Superbikes

Perhaps as a human race they lack coordination when it comes to driving. They were driving elephants and buffalos only 50 years ago, so it could explain why.

I find myself in the position of being a passenger to my wife these days.

It can be a terrifying experience. She often just doesn't seem to see events unfolding ahead of her, and doesn't know what, if anything, is close behind.

Despite not wanting to be a back seat driver, I constantly find myself saying "That car is stopping, turning, changing lanes, pulling out, etc.". She just doesn't see the same things until it happens.

Perhaps it's a bit like the Thai view of the outside world, they only know about what is necessary for their immediate passage in life.

And yet, talking to some Thai people recently, they regard farangs as dangerous drivers who just don't know how to drive the Thai way. They had stories of farangs on bikes passing on the outside and then turning left across the traffic.

• Like 1

[[Template core/front/global/userPhoto is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]