Heinz Ketchup

yourauntbob

So the label has changed a bit, they used to have 3-4 big tomatos on the bottom of the label, now it is one single tomato in the middle of the label.it now tastes more like tomato sauce than ketchup. not good at all. anyone else notice this?

why would they do something so ridiculous?

Heinz tomato ketchup is produced in Bang Phlee Industrial Estate in Samut Prakan. It is made under licence by Win Chance Foods.

Last time I was there, there were no longer farangi working there, but they do have a team of food scientists checking both quality and consistency.

You can contact them.

Here is their website.

p.s. Did you know almost all of their tomatoes come from Nong Khai and Udon Thani?

Edited by Briggsy

I noticed the last two big plastic bottles I bought both tasted off - like they'd been left in the sun for days or something.

Yep, plenty of super markets keep surplus of stock sitting out the back in the hot.

Maxvalue is notorious for this..

I noticed the last two big plastic bottles I bought both tasted off - like they'd been left in the sun for days or something.

Yep, plenty of super markets keep surplus of stock sitting out the back in the hot.

Maxvalue is notorious for this..

The odd thing is, I bought one of them from BigC, then a few days later bought the other from Makro. Made me think the issue was with the manufacturing or delivery rather than the retailer.

The new label reads "Heinz Tomato Sauce". Nothing about ketchup. You can still get the American version at most places that sell Farang food.

And yes, it's not very good.

Edited by Shot

American Ketchup and Tomato Sauce are two completely different recipes.

Thais prefer sweet over salty.. why would they cut their own hands off in the market to satisfy a few farang like ya self?

believe it or not, many Thais (my wife included) like the original recipe. and they were making both for a while, why not just continue to make both. our house will be switching brands if they dont bring back the old stuff.

probably fake ?

there was a huge nescafe factory in bkk raided last year guess what ,nescafe

dont have a factory in bkk so they were just making it from cheaper ingredients

and probably ive been drinking it without even knowing

shitloads of fake smirnoff vodka is supposed to be around at the moment too

There are different recipes used depending on the country the factory is serving.

I know that Heinz Ketchup recipe is different between the US and Canada. As I recall, the Canadian version is less sweet.

Point is, though, that the same product is produced differently for the different markets.

There are different recipes used depending on the country the factory is serving.

I know that Heinz Ketchup recipe is different between the US and Canada. As I recall, the Canadian version is less sweet.

Point is, though, that the same product is produced differently for the different markets.

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/01/fake-smirnoff-handed-over-to-diageo/

American Ketchup and Tomato Sauce are two completely different recipes.

Thais prefer sweet over salty.. why would they cut their own hands off in the market to satisfy a few farang like ya self?

believe it or not, many Thais (my wife included) like the original recipe. and they were making both for a while, why not just continue to make both. our house will be switching brands if they dont bring back the old stuff.

Yeah, I like both depends what im eating it with.. I like the American style for eating chips/french fries thumbsup.gif

But i much prefer BBQ sauce laugh.png

According to the respective websites, the ingredients for the Thai version are:

68% tomato pulp concentrate
14.5% sugar
10% vinegar

(Not 100% - Other ingredients not listed. Same figures given on bottle.)

And for the US version (percentages not given):

Tomato concentrate from ripe red tomatoes
Distilled vinegar
High fructose corn syrup
Corn syrup
Salt
Spice
Onion powder
Natural flavouring

The British version:

Tomatoes (132g per 100g sauce)
Spirit vinegar
Sugar
Salt
Spice & Herb extracts (contain celery)
Spice

It would appear that the British version is not made from concentrate. (They used to advertise many years ago in the UK "not from concentrate" to position the sauce as superior to rivals.) The others clearly use concentrate. The British version also doesn't have onion powder.

The US version uses high fructose corn syrup, the other two use proper sugar.

According to the respective websites, the ingredients for the Thai version are:

68% tomato pulp concentrate

14.5% sugar

10% vinegar

(Not 100% - Other ingredients not listed. Same figures given on bottle.)

And for the US version (percentages not given):

Tomato concentrate from ripe red tomatoes

Distilled vinegar

High fructose corn syrup

Corn syrup

Salt

Spice

Onion powder

Natural flavouring

The British version:

Tomatoes (132g per 100g sauce)

Spirit vinegar

Sugar

Salt

Spice & Herb extracts (contain celery)

Spice

It would appear that the British version is not made from concentrate. (They used to advertise many years ago in the UK "not from concentrate" to position the sauce as superior to rivals.) The others clearly use concentrate. The British version also doesn't have onion powder.

The US version uses high fructose corn syrup, the other two use proper sugar.

I know the buyers from Win Chance travel up to Nong Khai to source their tomatoes. They tried other regions but this region of Thailand consistently produces the best product. They have to run stringent tests for pesticides, colourants, other additives and foreign bodies unlike the fresh markets which will flog anything.

I don't know if the tomatoes are pulped up in Isaan or in the factory in Samut Prakan. Either way, any drop in quality will lead to rejection. Brand value is too great to drop standards.

• Like 1