Reliable Buses.

NoshowJones

I am thinking about a short holiday in Phuket. Can anyone tell me if there is a reliable bus service between the airport and Phuket town and Patong? Due to reports I have read about taxis and tuk tuks, I would rather avoid them.

As far as i know the buses from the airport and Phuket Town or airport to Patong are still running.

http://www.airportbusphuket.com/

I just looked at that link, it seems they only go to Phuket Town now, not Patong.

They suggest getting out at Surakul Stadium and catching a local bus (blue cattle trucks) to the beaches.

Perhaps I'm reading it wrongly?

Is there such a thing as a reliable bus?

I think there is, how often do you see those old Bangkok buses sitting broke down by the roadside? Not often, and those buses are fifty or sixty years old.
I thought you were saying reliable as in following a time table.

As far as i know the buses from the airport and Phuket Town or airport to Patong are still running.

I just looked at that link, it seems they only go to Phuket Town now, not Patong.

They suggest getting out at Surakul Stadium and catching a local bus (blue cattle trucks) to the beaches.

No, I read that too, I just want to know if there are buses running regularly, hopefully from someone who has experience of them.

I should have included this link for Patong http://phuketairportbusexpress.com/en

I think there is, how often do you see those old Bangkok buses sitting broke down by the roadside? Not often, and those buses are fifty or sixty years old.
I thought you were saying reliable as in following a time table.

Yes, I'm sorry, that is exactly what I meant, even coming regularly without a timetable.

Yes, I read that link, but I wonder if any poster with experience of them, and can tell me how often they run.

Fact of the matter is that I doubt many Thaivisa members are using the aiprort bus service. I can recollect only one report by a member who used the Patong service. I do see these buses on the route but I have no idea of the frequency or if running as per the time table. To be honest for a single traveller, take the shared minibus.

Yes, I read that link, but I wonder if any poster with experience of them, and can tell me how often they run.

Fact of the matter is that I doubt many Thaivisa members are using the aiprort bus service. I can recollect only one report by a member who used the Patong service. I do see these buses on the route but I have no idea of the frequency or if running as per the time table. To be honest for a single traveller, take the shared minibus.

The shared minibus? That sounds a good option.

You can pay at the taxi/minibus desk as you arrive at Phuket Airport. Used to be about 160 - 180 baht/person, not sure of current price. Downside is that you might have to wait a short time until they fill the minibus, and the biggest hassle is the stop at a place wher they try to sell you a hotel room, tour, whatever. Just stay in the bus and ignore the agents. For sure it's takes longer than a taxi, but better than waiting for a bus and then having to find your way to you hotel from where the bus stops. The minibus should take you to your hotel, well, at least drop you off at the road end w00t.gif

You can pay at the taxi/minibus desk as you arrive at Phuket Airport. Used to be about 160 - 180 baht/person, not sure of current price. Downside is that you might have to wait a short time until they fill the minibus, and the biggest hassle is the stop at a place wher they try to sell you a hotel room, tour, whatever. Just stay in the bus and ignore the agents. For sure it's takes longer than a taxi, but better than waiting for a bus and then having to find your way to you hotel from where the bus stops. The minibus should take you to your hotel, well, at least drop you off at the road end w00t.gif

Thanks, but that's not for me, I have still to get back to the airport, and theres no way I will use a taxi, or tuktuk, from what I have read on TV and elsewhere, they are to be avoided at all costs. Thanks for your help anyway.

Thanks, but that's not for me, I have still to get back to the airport, and theres no way I will use a taxi, or tuktuk, from what I have read on TV and elsewhere, they are to be avoided at all costs. Thanks for your help anyway.

A mini bus is bookable -------hotel - airport just ask the hotel reception staff

Easy ! smile.png

Taxis are not expensive, a 1 hour ride from the airport to Rawai cost 800 Baht, less than $30 USD/AUD in Dec 2013

That was in a taxi without a meter, metered taxis are usually cheaper

here we go again..........

What do you mean by that comment, Whats the cost of a 1 hour taxi ride in your home country

Thats what i use as a comparison,what do you use??

Edited by nedkellylives

Taxis are not expensive, a 1 hour ride from the airport to Rawai cost 800 Baht, less than $30 USD/AUD in Dec 2013

What do you mean by that comment, Whats the cost of a 1 hour taxi ride in your home country

He means that you opened the Pandora's box, as have been done so many times before.

As you say it's not expensive if compared to prices in home countries, someone would bring in average salary levels at western countries. Then we'll compare how unfair it is that uneducated taxi driver have way better salary compared to educated teacher or nurse (or even medical doctor). After that there might be an discussion how this unbalanced situation affects to the people's morale.

Someone will bring in facts that BiB is protecting the taxi mafia and there is 10 powerful families on the island, who protects and benefits from the mafia.

At this point there is someone, who says how nice people the tuk-tuk drivers really are. They are actually helping people. They have families to take care of.

The whole situation have been talked over and over again.

Now the reason I did not wait and see, how this goes down, was that you actually used USD/AUD to show the currency. If you have been using simple dollar sign, I would have asked how does some arbitrary currency have anything to do with Thailand.. and offered an up to date exchange rate of Zimbabwe dollar.

I MEAN, this has been hashed out more times than I can count! SO here we go again, its not difficult!

As for comapring the price to back home, do you factor into your comparisons-

Most people here earn & spen THB not Dollar, GBP etc,.....

Most peoples home country will have public transport, maybe 2 or 3 options

Most peoples home country's airports have properly regulated Taxis with meters & safety devices etc... & the taxi divers wont take them on a magical tour of the locale

Most people, dont have to endure threats & arguing just to exit the terminal

Your comparison should be from BKK- the city or even Pattaya get it?

• Like 1

pretty expensive if you compared to other cities here..

but sure if are a tourist and not living here its cheap..

• Like 1

I MEAN, this has been hashed out more times than I can count! SO here we go again, its not difficult!

As for comapring the price to back home, do you factor into your comparisons-

Most people here earn & spen THB not Dollar, GBP etc,.....

Most peoples home country will have public transport, maybe 2 or 3 options

Most peoples home country's airports have properly regulated Taxis with meters & safety devices etc... & the taxi divers wont take them on a magical tour of the locale

Most people, dont have to endure threats & arguing just to exit the terminal

Your comparison should be from BKK- the city or even Pattaya get it?

Been to Bali recently, thats another Asian tourist resort with more scams than Phuket and no public transport

Bali international airport has taxi scams worse than phuket, you can only catch a airport taxi at the international arrivals

and guess what they do not have meters like all the other taxis on Bali and charge what they can get away with, you don't

have any choice

Two different Asian holiday destinations, i know which i prefer

Last Dec, I caught the bus to Phuket Town from Phuket Airport. First I went out from arrival dept, Phuket airport, and turned left. I walked a couple of metres (just politely ignore the taxi). One man kept waving me pointing to the rather hidden place and I tried to talk him about bus. I was still in doubt but he begged me "Yes, yes, yes". Then I looked at the several plastic seats which means for waiting for bus. I finally trusted him alright. Within a few minutes, the bus (coach style) came. A couple of us got in. Then this bus was taking us to just the outside of the airport where two minibus are waiting for us. We found little uncomfortable in there but I cant complain about 60Baht. I would not recommend for anyone with heavy baggage or family.

Edited by nabbie