Questioning why i live here....

Jameskrabi

Ive lived in Phuket for a bit and live in a mostly Thai area near Nai Yang Beach. I hear of little crime in the area, purse snatchings, burglary, simple assaults usually brought on by drink or misunderstanding, but I will tell you its way less tlhan I was used to in a relatively calm city in the USA where I used to live. This type of thing happens everywhere, unfortunately. Just be aware of your situation and don't make yourself a target, ladies be especially careful if your alone at night.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Berkshire, if you read it correctly, it would read to you that it does not mean everyone, just a minority/majority depending on what way you look at it. the country is barking for sure, but to have a gun pulled on you for a iphone 5 worth a mere 18k is completly barking mad, anywhere else in the world he would have been hunted down and arrested, instead in thailand youtube is far better and more productive to the thai police....

Like i mentioned i have many thai friends, working with 200 directly but seeing this happen to me i look at things differently i now feel uncomfortable. i expect a gun to be pulled on me in Africa, the Middle East but not a thai holiday island....

The OP is absolutely a scumbag racist. Condemning an entire society because of one or two individuals? Thailand would be better without him.

Where is he condemning a whole race? he just reported what happened and how he feels about it.

Ok, sms, explain to me what he means by "a very barbaric race of human beings." Who is he talking about? And don't say the guy who robbed him. One guy is not a whole race of human beings.

BS JamesKrabbi.

You report a cell phone theft in New York, London, Vancouver, or LA and the cops will also give you a blank stare.

You also said Thais are a barbaric race of humans and pretty much said they were uncivilized. People who want to live in another country, with a disdain for the local people, will never be happy.

• Like 1

Your first mistake was handing the phone over. Unless the guy insisted you threw the phone to him then he would have had to come within arms reach to take it. At which point he's not expecting any violence if you indicate that you're handing it over,... then disarm him (a swift kick in the nuts or punch to the throat would work wonders)

Your 2nd mistake was not running him off the road when you had the chance.... I would have reversed over him just to make sure he got the message

Your 3rd mistake was placing any faith in the police doing diddly squat to help you.

No matter where you go in the world you will find villains and ar$seholes! There are far worse places to be living (such as Fullerton California where the local police can form gangs of 6 and beat you to death for absolutely no reason at all and then get exonerated by the judge).

• Like 1

Man up or go home. I would have called his bluff

I hope you are presented with the oportunity to do so in the future. It's easy to talk tough when it's someone else. The OP did the right thing, it was a phone for god's sake. Not worth the risk given the very real dangers in Phuket.

• Like 1

Just been reading all the replies to ''Why i live here''..

I would just like to say, I have been here in ''Phuket'' for nearly 4 years, yes a ''Newbie'', and for me, it ticks all the right boxes, Love the Weather, I find the Thai people, that i have encountered lovely, I am fortunate to have a beautiful Condo with an amazing sea view, I have a great life style, and a good quality of life, - the only drawback for me is the ''Driving Standards'', which does annoy me, but i can live with it, i just have to be more careful than when i drive back in my Homeland..

If i moved back to where i am from .., my life and lifestyle would be a quarter of what i have here.., and because i am getting on, the pace of life suits me....

I have travelled in Thailand, and like ''Bangkok'' too , also been further a field, ''Chang Mai, Chang Rai'' and thats beautiful too, been to other places as well.... all beautiful..

Phuket does get a lot of bad press, but for me, for the time being its ''Paradise''...

What you encountered, could happen anywhere, and i am sorry it did happen to you...

Cheers

I tried make a police report in Chalong one day. The police officer refused to take my report and after an hour waiting patiently he looked at me and spat.... "Do you believe in Fr Christmas farang? Well if you do you will believe you will get any help here!" In the Bangkok Bank across the road when I complained after being left 90 minutes while the mutant in the foreign exchange booth slipped silently out to lunch the manager said in Thai... "Go <deleted> your mother!" I know that they are only kidding. They really like us. I voted with my feet and left Phuket to implode.

Could happen anywhere .

I've had guns put in my face in the UK and in Egypt, had knives pulled on me in many countries.

A BG chased my friend down the road a while back, to return his iPhone which he left somewhere.

Good & Bad everywhere.

Very True. Thailand is just being what our own countries have been. Good and Bad...Happy and Sad, trying to make a buck any way they can. Used to have long talks from my mom and dad, who spent their teen years growing up in New York during the Great Depression. Long food lines, no heat in the house, family members being victims of crimes....all the bad stuff, that I see here only once in a while....but never as explained to me by my parents. Of course we had the crime elements (Mafia) and thugs ...and still do. Nobody here could complain about Thailand after living on the streets of (even present day) New York/Chicago/LA...etc. Let alone many similar cities across the world.

Dear Op,

I had one of my roughest weekend and too many things happened. It's also called life. Just enjoy your life, think more positive and get over it.\

Life's a bitch and that's true. Just look forward and learn through your experiences. Just try to avoid to see <deleted>. Okay I know that there're too many out there, especially where you're living.

Or why don't you just visit Isaan and you might love it here. Not so many weird tourists. Thai are mannered much better and the environment is much better for a living.

Wish you the best, get over it. Greetings from lower northeast.-wai2.gif

"....see that the civilisation is not upon par with the majority of the world," That is so naïve. I do not believe that a person could possibly have a real life experience frame of reference and make such an assertion. Disgraceful story, yes. But majority of the world? I am dubious and believe that you would be extremely disillusioned if you were to get out there and find out for yourself.

Every morning I get up and walk down the road in front of my house and never question why I live here!

attachicon.gifDSC00829.jpg

Perhaps you have yet to have a .38 in your face chum, it could still happen.............

A water gun, loaded with rotten fish sauce would be enough for this gentleman to ask himself a serious question.-coffee1.gif

To live here happily / successfully it's best to have as little interaction with the locals as possible.

Been here over 28 years and have many of my friends 25++ an we all agree with this statement!!!

This is true also of my group of long stayers..not thru dislike or anything, just frustration nothing in common etc..it isn't a conscious act it just seems to have happened over the years..I have extremely nice Thai neighbours in my condo so this isn't Thai bashing..maybe it's just age.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After 10 years I'm still questioning why I live here!

Whats worsening it is that you arrive with a lack of perception to see the dangers and that this perception develops over time.

To my personal opinion Thailand is not getting safer, over the past 10 years I've seen for example a strong increase in aggression on the roads and an increasing amount of people that are hostile to foreigners as a standard attitude.

Man up or go home. I would have called his bluff

That shows a lot of intelligence over a cell phone. I was riding with my wife on my Harley. A couple of yayhoos came up on a scooter, grabbed her purse, cut the strap, and sped off. I chuckled. I was simply going to catch them and kick them off their bike. As I appraoched one pulled a gun. I've been shot before, I decided the purse and contents were not worth being shot again. So, would you have offered me the same advice? Could have been just a water pistol.

Your first mistake was handing the phone over. Unless the guy insisted you threw the phone to him then he would have had to come within arms reach to take it. At which point he's not expecting any violence if you indicate that you're handing it over,... then disarm him (a swift kick in the nuts or punch to the throat would work wonders)

Your 2nd mistake was not running him off the road when you had the chance.... I would have reversed over him just to make sure he got the message

Your 3rd mistake was placing any faith in the police doing diddly squat to help you.

No matter where you go in the world you will find villains and ar$seholes! There are far worse places to be living (such as Fullerton California where the local police can form gangs of 6 and beat you to death for absolutely no reason at all and then get exonerated by the judge).

or he shoots you in the head. The 2nd and 3rd responses then become irrelevent. Special services or not.

OP had a genuinely crappy day. We all have 'em.

He vented a little. We all do.

Tomorrow, the world will probably look different.

I live with the knowledge that I can choose to stay or choose to leave. Today I choose to stay, and that puts my happiness in my hands. It's a small victory, but a win nonetheless.

To live here happily / successfully it's best to have as little interaction with the locals as possible.

Been here over 28 years and have many of my friends 25++ an we all agree with this statement!!!

That is extremely sad state of living. I can understand that it can happen, but to live in a glass prison, does not sound like something I wish to do in the future.

I am not racist in any manner

ive now come to the conclusion that they are barbarick and like pack dogs...

Sorry for your experience. I've been robbed at gun point ... during a home invasion in my case, but not in Thailand ... in another country not my own, by people not my race. Frightening and, literally, a painful experience. Not much in the way of useful assistance by the police.

I still never found that that experience was an excuse to blame everyone in that country for what happened or to call the entire population barbaric or to label the people dogs. I was robbed and injured by some individual from that country and of that race. Robberies, physical attacks, murders and unhelpful police exist in every country, including the country that we think of as our birth home. Paying some school fees or getting your picture taken with someone doesn't provide you with immunity from crime.

It's understandable to feel angry toward the individual who robbed you and about the lack of support from police, but the leap to "they" being barbaric and dogs is exactly what racism and prejudice is all about. Obviously you know that or you wouldn't try to sell the idea that you're so generous and caring. Generous and caring is good, but it doesn't buy you a free pass from bad things happening to you.

Forgiveness is not easy and some people confuse it with weakness, but if you allow some event or some individuals to turn you into a hateful person, then those individuals have taken more from you than just your phone.

I not only sympathize with you, but because of a similar experience I can genuinely empathize. Don't let the experience change who you are though. Generosity isn't just about money and things.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

[Maybe i am wrong, in shock still, or even bitter over it all but i now look at thai men with distrust and disdain, even thai friends i dont want to know right now ...

Understandable you should think that way right now, but you must have been aware after living in Thailand for a couple of years that these things - and much worse - happen (to others) but if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and very unlucky, it can (and has) happened to you.

Try and see things in perspective and think about the positive things that have kept you happy in Thailand this long already.

Edited by laobali
  • Like 1

Chuck Norris, I wondered what happened to you.

• Like 1

Could happen anywhere .

I've had guns put in my face in the UK and in Egypt, had knives pulled on me in many countries.

A BG chased my friend down the road a while back, to return his iPhone which he left somewhere.

Good & Bad everywhere.

Must be something wrong with me. In 38 years of living in different countries, including Egypt and UK, I have never had a gun or knife pulled on me.

But Mr Tee has had it happen on several occasions????

Strange how the world works, isn't it?

[Maybe i am wrong, in shock still, or even bitter over it all but i now look at thai men with distrust and disdain, even thai friends i dont want to know right now ...

Understandable you should think that way right now, but you must have been aware after living in Thailand for a couple of years that these things - and much worse - happen (to others) but if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and very unlucky, it can (and has) happened to you.

Try and see things in perspective and think about the positive things that have kept you happy in Thailand this long already.

Couldn't agree more.

Just put it down as one very unlucky bad experience and get back on with the life you were enjoying before the event.

• Like 1

"Ive moved my entire life out here, houses, cars..." - this is something i decided i would never do even BEFORE i got off the plane 5 years ago - plenty of information on the 'net to make a decision about that without waiting for hard experiences to force it. I've never understood the guys who burn their bridges to come to such a culturally alien place - why ? Why not have a back-up plan ? I mean a going-back plan of course !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly
  • Like 1

Thai people are generally as nice as any other race.

Thai people can be nastier, less empathic than most other races..

But overall over the years I have developed a rather poor opinion of Thai society..in part because of the way Thais treat other Thais, especially at work (we as farangs are not that important),

Thailand has deteriorated over the years, this is recognized by Thais..

I don't interact with as many Thais as I use too..no big deal..my life is as it was.I prefer farang company primarily because of the humour.

If someone doesn't particular like the general characteristics of a society that is their right. It is also there right to stay here..most farangs seem to live in a bubble here anyway..on their little moo baan in issarn.

There is a lot wrong with a society where lying is seen as a better alternative than loosing face, where Mai pen rai means that nothing gets done and it's not my fault.Where sabai sabaii is construed by many to justify laziness.Where Thais recognize that Thais cheat each other more readily than in the west. Where the smile is not really a smile. It is impossible in my opinion to be a Thai apologists like some on here because of so many obvious limitation, but people in general within this system are decent folk.

JL has a valid view point and one I have sympathy for.

This is very well put.

I am happy here in my own little life minding my own business and going about life with my family.

I still like to think i maintain my manners and morals from the west, I refuse to be dragged down to Thai standards so it's my choice to remain at a distance from the locals.

I do know good Thai people but they are few and far between with ( I'd imagine ) zero loyalty.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app