Suthep's plea for military help to protect protesters

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The mob's ringleader is asking for the Army to help him stop democracy in the name of democracy??? Nothing like Thai logic to motivate the military. Many in the West would shoot too if someone was using force to stop them from voting. I'm surprise more of the anti-democratic mob hasn't been gunned down.

It is far from democracy when Thaksin and his cohorts are involved. He would never allow a free and clean election where there is a chance he could lose. They are experts at electoral fraud and you can bet they will do what they are best at again....Need reforms, checks and balances then a fair election can happen. The protestors don't want to stop democracy, they want real democracy instead of Thakjsinocracy6 as we have now.Get your facts straight please...

The mob's ringleader is asking for the Army to help him stop democracy in the name of democracy??? Nothing like Thai logic to motivate the military. Many in the West would shoot too if someone was using force to stop them from voting. I'm surprise more of the anti-democratic mob hasn't been gunned down.

It is far from democracy when Thaksin and his cohorts are involved. He would never allow a free and clean election where there is a chance he could lose. They are experts at electoral fraud and you can bet they will do what they are best at again....Need reforms, checks and balances then a fair election can happen. The protestors don't want to stop democracy, they want real democracy instead of Thakjsinocracy6 as we have now.Get your facts straight please...

Please enlighten us what "real democracy" means. We can see that it starts with polling place blockades. Then...?

• Like 2

Does the thai army swear to defend the constitution?

I am not sure, and excuse me if I am wrong, but I think they swear something like King, Religion and Country.

Swearing to defend the constitution might be a bit confusing in Thailand (check how many constitutions Thailand had already + all the changes) and when the government openly says that they don't accept the constitutional courts ruling what should they do? Another coup?

Meanwhile in Pattani. There is the usual week of bombings killings etc.

Hmmmm who taking care of protection down there? Not very good at it are they and maybe should stick to judicial coup this time as many more will fight the Army if they overthow Government this time.

Total stupidity. Don't intimidate voters and stage Coup and you don't get shot dead. On a good day :(

Not an unbiased article at all. Completely yellow.

Really a wild piece of work. About 2 paragraphs in, that's two paragraphs of bashing the Economist's credibility, the author sets to work loading the page with fact free opinions and unsupported information against the Thaksin "regime". Like a piece of rotten fish tied to an anchor the piece drops fast and deep into a fantasy concoction of international intrigue.

PTP style, violence and bribe...Who think that Isaan people can vote what they want, they got pressure from this Mafia...The Police heads are all reds, so only the army can stop the Taksin-regime mercenaries.

I have read a lot of nonsence on these threads, but your post is probably right up there at the top. I was going to ask have you ever lived in Isaan, but I doubt whether you have even ever been there.

I live in Isaan and until 3 months ago I was living in a very remote village amongst rice farmers. There is no mafia and the police are decent guys.

Isaan is not like Bangkok or the South. Thankfully.

• Like 2

It can be assumed that Suthep and his dreaming brigades will do the same on the 2nd Feb. the result will be a nullified election, with a postponement of the election. Again the caretaker government will stay ( or better has to stay). It's time to call the party off and sit together and find compromises where both sides are not losing face.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No its time to send Suthep and his thugs back south. If the army should protect anything it is the basic right of each Thai man and woman to cast their vote.

EricBerg, I hope you are equally supportive of the army being used to protect the people's right to vote in the face of violent intimidation.

Left out of the article above was the reasons why he was asking for military protection.

RE: "The rights and freedoms of the people are guaranteed under the constitution" said Suthep

He was calling for his friends, well known in the Military to protect his right to interfere with the rights of the vast majority of the citizens of Thailand to vote (their right and freedoms) guarantee under the constitution!

What a poor excuse of a human being, and his friends in the military back his stupidity!

Cheers

And you think the cowardly fugitive hiding out in Dubai who is the root cause of all the violence since 2010 is a good person ? Get real ! He and his cronies and family need to leave politics and let better people who have the country's best interests instead of their own take over.

Do you work for the same company as Eric?

It can be assumed that Suthep and his dreaming brigades will do the same on the 2nd Feb. the result will be a nullified election, with a postponement of the election. Again the caretaker government will stay ( or better has to stay). It's time to call the party off and sit together and find compromises where both sides are not losing face.

No its time to send Suthep and his thugs back south. If the army should protect anything it is the basic right of each Thai man and woman to cast their vote.

you are so misguided, which news are you reading? reuters etc?

Strange that Suthep and indeed the Army have not said anything about poor Thai citizens assaulted and blocked from being able to vote.

Will the army also protect all voters who go to the polls next Sunday from the whistle blowing mobs of Suthep ?

The only way the army can stop violence is to stay out of this, tell the police its ok to use necessary force to arrest all the criminals in the whistle blowing mob who have broken the law and are criminals, and once they are all cleared away and arrested then there will be peace.

The army cannot be asked to protect those who have committed criminal offenses under the Thai Constitution.

All in my opinion.

Old Man River, on 27 Jan 2014 - 09:53, said:
pipkins, on 27 Jan 2014 - 09:42, said:

Dont know if Prayuth responds to this Clown. But Obama looks like he wasn't taken in by Sutheps crap.

Looks like the mob will have to head back to the Embassy as they didn't get the message last time

http://m.state.gov/md220630.htm

The United States is deeply troubled by efforts to block polls and otherwise prevent voting in Thailand, and by the most recent acts of political violence. While we do not take sides in the political dispute and strongly support freedom of expression and the right to peaceful protest, preventing citizens from voting violates their universal rights and is inconsistent with democratic values.

We reiterate our call for all sides to refrain from violence, exercise restraint, and commit to sincere dialogue to resolve political differences peacefully and democratically.

Anyone, who knows anything about the US (my country), knows the US will always support democracy, no matter what the situation.

And if they can't find a democracy there, they will make one...................wink.png

tongue.png

• Like 1

I wonder how can a terrorist himself ask for protection from military? ? ?

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Protesting using one's basic rights to do so when a gov't doesn't follow the law and is extremely corrupt to the core is not terrorism. Burning, looting, bombs, molotovs, a city under seige IS. I see you weren't here in 2010. You need some history books and some time spent on youtube. Get to work boy!

The violence we see is from red shirts time and again; the instigators and ones who provoke with violence time and again. cctv, video footage, and a nasty reputation precede their well earned reputation.

Hopefully after a few weeks in thailand, you'll recognize this very clear pattern.

If ever there was a boy that needed to do his homework and sharpen his thinking before running his mouth it would be the boy you see in the mirror.

Your deflecting skills are lacking, Pee Wee (the 'I know you are, but what am I?") Ok Pee Wee, you're a Thai history and cultural virgin.

Does the thai army swear to defend the constitution?

I am not sure, and excuse me if I am wrong, but I think they swear something like King, Religion and Country.

Swearing to defend the constitution might be a bit confusing in Thailand (check how many constitutions Thailand had already + all the changes) and when the government openly says that they don't accept the constitutional courts ruling what should they do? Another coup?

We had this in another topic not long ago, where it appeared that the general view was that the army (read military) swears allegiance only to the king. That I would question.

IMHO, any government who does not have control over their armed forces, does not have control over their country, regardless of political viewpoint.

It's anarchy in Thailand.Mr. Suthep is now already responsible and accountable for 10 deaths and more than 500 injured people. He should be arrested. That is what would happen with rebels in any country all over the world. He refuses to talk, negotiate, look for solutions. He only frustrates the democratic process. This guy does not deserve any respect, as he has not respect for the life of any fellow Thai. This is sickening. I've seen the pictures that soldiers and/or policemen watch smiling while the democratic process is obstructed. Pure ANARCHY!

As the police through their inaction protect those who use guns against unarmed civilians but fail to protect the very Thai citizens who are the object of those attacks, the system has now completely broken down for all the world to see. There is clearly nothing now to stop these attacks. The police are utterly disinclined to do so. And that is the unmistakable impression of the people on the streets. The police's allegiance to Thaksin has been known for years, of course, but that allegiance is now being measured in lives lost. Not only is Suthep's life clearly in danger, but every other Thai citizen on the streets as well. The people on the streets now know that there is no protection for them. They are being left open to vigilante attacks. Thankfully, the army is not of that mind, and it seems that - more sooner than later - they will come up to the plate - not for a coup, but to protect unarmed citizens from vicious armed attacks. Where is the outrage from this administration ? Where is the outrage from Thaksin's cousin ? Does Tarit have one sentence for what happened yesterday in his list of threats ? Does anybody ? Shame engulfs this administration.

In your typically rambling manner you completely overlook the right of protection for those people wishing to exercise their democratic right to vote.

Why not address that issue?

• Like 1

It's anarchy in Thailand.Mr. Suthep is now already responsible and accountable for 10 deaths and more than 500 injured people. He should be arrested. That is what would happen with rebels in any country all over the world. He refuses to talk, negotiate, look for solutions. He only frustrates the democratic process. This guy does not deserve any respect, as he has not respect for the life of any fellow Thai. This is sickening. I've seen the pictures that soldiers and/or policemen watch smiling while the democratic process is obstructed. Pure ANARCHY!

If you can blame Suthep for all the deaths, why not take the high road and blame the Arms Manufacturers or try the Buddist way, and their past Karma as being the prime reason. Or you could blame Thaksin and his Past Life that got the 10 killed. Up To You. Try some Gavescon for that sickening,frustrating feelings you have. Pure Anarchy,you must live somewhere like Singapore or Switzeland.

True but the unfortunate thing is that any thing less than what Suthep is demandcing is to leave things as they are.

Sure maybe the election will be put off and the Dems enter and win it but unless the checks and balances are put into the government it will solve nothing just prolong the corruption for years.

People will forget how bad the PTP were just like they have forgotten how bad the red shirts were. Then it will be the same same next election one man and his money buying the election and the men who win it.

Thailand needs to change now to prevent the continuance of a way of governing that comes close to allowing a dictatorship to be set up in the name of democracy just as Hitler did.

Btw Hitler was not elected he was appointed. I understand what you are saying but would it not be fair to both sides if the Anti Government Protesters would clearly say what they want except taken the shins out of the Governement. That is not a program. What they want to do with the millions of Thais in the North which may be will vote back a Shin in power? Reduce voting rights? Nothing is clear and transparent and as long as their is no transparency than the future will be the same as past, with other people on the top. Vote buying like you said is not really the issue if you even read the comments of the Democratic Party spokesman. It is the long time that all governments had neglected the rural areas. Without addressing their problems no party will win and until now I did not see any program from the democrats or the Suthep Gang which is doing that.

Have you been paying attention. Suthep wants to set up a commission that will make things clear and transparent. You know one where the government can not buy rice at above market prices and then sell them at prices they can not reveal to us. One that will set up 350 baht billion water management programs and make proper studies on them not put them out for bid with no environmental impact studies done on them. Surprise surprise a foreign contractor with a dubious past wins.

These and other things that the government has been doing for the past 14 years will not be allowed. The constitution needs some rewriting to avoid these things. Also to avoid the vote buying and lack of security on the votes between the time they are cast and the time they are counted. When all this is done hold an election. Probably put it out to a referendum with plenty of opportunity for people who don't understand the changes to have them explained to them. Suthep is estimating it will take a year to a year and a half to do this. He wants all sectors of society represented on it.

You have been listening to too many red shirts and PTP who are claiming all Suthep wants to do is be a dictator. You have not listened to what he and his supporters want. You are probably new to this whole thing and do not realize that Suthep came along after this had been going on for a while. There were several groups of grass roots people with no political affiliations protesting about the attempt to make Thaksin an honest man and all the crimes he was charged with be OK and the corruption in the present government. It was only after they came together that Suthep joined forces with them. Even later the democrats joined forces.

People talk about what they need but this is the only attempt to do these things. From where I sit it looks like a great plan. Far better than continuing on the way the country is going. National debt increasing corruption increasing personal debt increasing. But I doubt it will happen. To many people unaware of what the protectors are calling for and to many dishonest red shirts and PTP trying to say Suthep is trying to be a dictator and stop having elections. They just want to carry on the way things are going.

• Like 1

There is not just drama and passion on the streets,its spilling on to T.V. as well. Whats up with you people?Have you all got Thai passports or something? A little humour wouldn't come amiss.

Many years ago i witnessed a demonstration in the town of Fuerstenfeldbruck in Germany. The towns people were annoyed that the Neo-Nazis had booked a hall in their town for a meeting,and that on the day of a town beer festival !

The riot police with shields and batons confronted Neo-Nazis armed with empty beer bottles and stones,the towns people were shouting insults at the Neo-Nazis and this was all being filmed by various television stations. Amidst all this chaos one young man kept his cool,he stood before some cameras holding a large self made poster. "Lost Budgerigar, offer 25 DM for its save return,tel...... That made my day as dirty Harry would say.

What a moron Suthep is.his goons are sitting in the streets for 2 weeks blocking roads.his henchmen are attacking folk who try to vote and he demands protection for them!!! Talk about a crazy place Thailand is !!jeeez

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

True but the unfortunate thing is that any thing less than what Suthep is demandcing is to leave things as they are.

Sure maybe the election will be put off and the Dems enter and win it but unless the checks and balances are put into the government it will solve nothing just prolong the corruption for years.

People will forget how bad the PTP were just like they have forgotten how bad the red shirts were. Then it will be the same same next election one man and his money buying the election and the men who win it.

Thailand needs to change now to prevent the continuance of a way of governing that comes close to allowing a dictatorship to be set up in the name of democracy just as Hitler did.

Btw Hitler was not elected he was appointed. I understand what you are saying but would it not be fair to both sides if the Anti Government Protesters would clearly say what they want except taken the shins out of the Governement. That is not a program. What they want to do with the millions of Thais in the North which may be will vote back a Shin in power? Reduce voting rights? Nothing is clear and transparent and as long as their is no transparency than the future will be the same as past, with other people on the top. Vote buying like you said is not really the issue if you even read the comments of the Democratic Party spokesman. It is the long time that all governments had neglected the rural areas. Without addressing their problems no party will win and until now I did not see any program from the democrats or the Suthep Gang which is doing that.

Have you been paying attention. Suthep wants to set up a commission that will make things clear and transparent.

None of which is relevant unless he has a mandate to do so. Does he have one? No.

And if you think Suthep - given his own dark and corrupt past - is simply doing all this because he believes in goodness and light, I have a massive bridge for sale over the Chao Phraya.

And no, I'm not a 'red', as neither are most of us who are appalled at the naivete of those who think this about improving Thailand. It's about improving Suthep and his backers.

• Like 1

Suthep: The army should protect us while we exercise our constitutional right of peaceful demonstration to use physical force in order to prevent thousands of people from exercising their constitutional right to vote.

From the Organic Act on election of members of the house of representatives and installation of senators:

Section 76 No person shall, without legally having the power thereto, commit any act

to prevent a voter from casting vote or to obstruct or delay a voter from going to the polling

place, entering the place for casting a vote or reaching such place within the polling time.

Section 152 Any person who violates Section 71 paragraph two, Section 72, Section

74, Section 76 or Section 77 shall be liable to imprisonment for a term of one to five years or

to a fine of twenty thousand to one hundred thousand Baht, or to both, and the court shall

order the disfranchisement for a period of five years.

Organic Act on election of members of the house of representatives and installation of senators.pdf

• Like 2

Suthep: The army should protect us while we exercise our constitutional right of peaceful demonstration to use physical force in order to prevent thousands of people from exercising their constitutional right to vote.

From the Organic Act on election of members of the house of representatives and installation of senators:

Section 76 No person shall, without legally having the power thereto, commit any act

to prevent a voter from casting vote or to obstruct or delay a voter from going to the polling

place, entering the place for casting a vote or reaching such place within the polling time.

Section 152 Any person who violates Section 71 paragraph two, Section 72, Section

74, Section 76 or Section 77 shall be liable to imprisonment for a term of one to five years or

to a fine of twenty thousand to one hundred thousand Baht, or to both, and the court shall

order the disfranchisement for a period of five years.

Yes but but in 2010 the reds.........

Let's face it, these laws are ignored by Suthep, and those who back him. Just look at the way the EC has performed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG