Thai ruling party opposes delay to troubled election

webfact

When a state of emergency was last imposed in 2010 during pro-Thaksin protests, the government then led by Abhisit cracked down with armoured vehicles and soldiers firing live rounds. More than 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 injured.

AFP has forgotten to add that the 2010 protests led by the red shirts were not peaceful as they are the 2014 protests.

Buildings were burned down, people were killed and the whole country was in shambles.

Adhisit and the army had to impose some law and order.

Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for his/her political and civil believes.

"Buildings were burned down, people were killed..."

But were there any buildings scorched prior to the army attacking the protesters, creating live fire zones etc?

That didn't justify the burning down of buildings. And the protesters had the chance to leave peacefully had they chosen to do so. In fact it was Thaksin himself who ordered the protests to continue rather than accept what was a deal to call elections six months later.

Get back on topic and the present day, this blame culture on vilifying people in the present based on the past is IRRELEVENT to the present.

The mob protesting are displaying violence and abusing peoples rights to vote, time to clear them away and use whatever force becomes necessary. The rule of law must be upheld and if that means by force now then so be it. There is not one other nation this would have been allowed to happen to this level.

Enough is enough the protesters stepped way over the line by using violence and intimidation to blockade people legal and human right to vote... clear them out they are now nothing more than terrorists and can claim no moral high ground any longer. Minimum force as is needed but force nevertheless as they will not go voluntarily and some form order must be maintained to stop the place sliding into total anarchy.

So it is IRRELEVANT because you say so? Cut the crap. Of course, it is RELEVANT. Terrorists responsible for the carnage in 2010 occupy the position of power instead of being behind the bars. And how are you going to conduct a professional security operation with Chalerm in charge? The very same man who said he was going to cut his head off if his buddy Thaksin was not back by the end of last year. In any normal country people like Chalerm would be either behind the bars or placed in a mental institution. And let me remind you once again, the whole mess started because of the amnesty bill. Luckily you have no say on the matter so the bloodshed will be avoided. Get a grip.

Edited by Mackie
  • Like 2

Ive wrestled with the quote about terrible thai drivers above and how stupid people shouldnt vote until they know whats good for them.

And im going to cut the dude some slack. I was all frothing at the mouth, but its clear its just a poor analogy. Im not even sure if hes a native english speaker so maybe the nuance of what hes trying to say got lost a little.

But yes, stupid people should vote. And if you really think theyre stupid, offer them pie in the sky! offer them 10000000Baht to every family in the North East. Make it a business start up loan with no interest for a couple of years (then ramp it up and steal their house and fill it with yellow supporters). That should work easy enough! then you have a mandate to divvy up the country and recreate the boundaries and electoral procedures for endless governance by the democrats! If stupid people vote, it should be like stealing candy from a baby!

The small spanner in this might be that maybe, just possibly maybe, people actually support PTP for reasons outside of corrupt election practices. And so long as the democrats (and their supporters) keep calling them stupid, theyll keep laughing every time they head to the polling stations knowing full well that its another four years of government for their party, and another four years of opposition for the democrats.

Edited by inutil

HOT PRESS - KARAOKE DEAL

At a recent private meeting in a Macau karaoke bar PDCM PDC Dog PAD Yellow Bra mouthpiece Suthip and North Korean Democrat Kim Jung-un agreed to a future program in principal for the provision of 'North Korean Democratic Training' for the benefit of all Thai People.

HOT PRESS - KARAOKE DEAL

At a recent private meeting in a Macau karaoke bar PDCM PDC Dog PAD Yellow Bra mouthpiece Suthip and North Korean Democrat Kim Jung-un agreed to a future program in principal for the provision of 'North Korean Democratic Training' for the benefit of all Thai People.

Especially for those in the North & North-East.

When a state of emergency was last imposed in 2010 during pro-Thaksin protests, the government then led by Abhisit cracked down with armoured vehicles and soldiers firing live rounds. More than 90 people were killed and nearly 1,900 injured.

AFP has forgotten to add that the 2010 protests led by the red shirts were not peaceful as they are the 2014 protests.

Buildings were burned down, people were killed and the whole country was in shambles.

Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for his/her political and civil believes.

"Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for their political and civil believes"

Costas, my dear. Are you on LSD??

The democratic and constitutional right is for every citizen to have their say at the ballot-box, without being bullied by thugs, who think otherwise!!coffee1.gif

I thought the word democracy came from Greek? Sleeping through classes??

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts of little understanding but an heroic belief in the elite/amaarts right to bully people into not voting in a democratic election

Ive wrestled with the quote about terrible thai drivers above and how stupid people shouldnt vote until they know whats good for them.

And im going to cut the dude some slack. I was all frothing at the mouth, but its clear its just a poor analogy. Im not even sure if hes a native english speaker so maybe the nuance of what hes trying to say got lost a little.

But yes, stupid people should vote. And if you really think theyre stupid, offer them pie in the sky! offer them 10000000Baht to every family in the North East. Make it a business start up loan with no interest for a couple of years (then ramp it up and steal their house and fill it with yellow supporters). That should work easy enough! then you have a mandate to divvy up the country and recreate the boundaries and electoral procedures for endless governance by the democrats! If stupid people vote, it should be like stealing candy from a baby!

The small spanner in this might be that maybe, just possibly maybe, people actually support PTP for reasons outside of corrupt election practices. And so long as the democrats (and their supporters) keep calling them stupid, theyll keep laughing every time they head to the polling stations knowing full well that its another four years of government for their party, and another four years of opposition for the democrats.

Four years? You think so?

okay. Two. Then we'll have a coup. Then 2 then an uprising from the reds. Then an election, then 2, then another declaration of red corruption and the shut down of bkk, then another coup, then two, then another red shirt protest and siege on bangkok, then 2 and maybe some airports, then 2... then 2.... then another 2... then 2...

• Like 1

The buildings were set on fire after the 'crackdown' had started. The total number of deaths was 92 but a good few dozen of those happened before 'the 'crackdown' and about 20 of them were soldiers killed by the violent 'thugs on drugs rabble' ( as the anti anti government mob on here like to say ) hence the need to use the army to stop the rioters from doing any more damage..

"Today the protests follow the Democratic right of every citizen to peacefully protest for their political and civil believes"

Costas, my dear. Are you on LSD??

The democratic and constitutional right is for every citizen to have their say at the ballot-box, without being bullied by thugs, who think otherwise!!coffee1.gif

I thought the word democracy came from Greek? Sleeping through classes??

How long is it going to take to get through that thick skull of yours that THAILAND DOESN'T HAVE BLOODY DEMOCRACY !!!??? There was an attempt made to have it here but it was badly implemented band over the last decade it has failed and mutated into Thaksinocracy.

I think YS will agree to a 3 month delay. Some in her party don't agree

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She cannot.

The Thai Constitution does not allow for any delay to an election unless there is a National Disaster (like war) past the time limit.

A postponement can occur within the time frames (eg they could delay from 2nd to 5th of Feb) but it cannot go past the time limit (in this case Feb 6th) as that would be a breach of the Constitution.

The Constitution Court clarified that the election can be postponed, but only in certain circumstances as stated in the Constitution. They failed to give any guidance on whether the current situation warrants a postponement. (Guess why ???)

Therefore it would be illegal and break the Constitution for there to be any delay of the election past Feb 6th.

The CC had the chance to offer guidance which could have led to a postponement, however they declined to give guidance saying only it could be delayed under certain circumstances like a National Emergency, and did not give any more information.

So the election has to go ahead else on Feb 7th I am quite sure the PDRC and Democrat Party would be filing charges in the CC against Yingluck for not holding an election within the maximum time allowed from dissolution as stated in the Constitution.

All in my opinion of course.

It can be delayed very easily. They just don't want to because the fugitive wants his amnesty, they want the crazy loan to pay the farmers and make themselves even richer, and they want to cry 'diplomatic immunity' when the NACC passes judgement on the myriad cases against them. I hope none of these are allowed to happen as all are very bad for the future of this country...

"Buildings were burned down, people were killed..."

But were there any buildings scorched prior to the army attacking the protesters, creating live fire zones etc?

That didn't justify the burning down of buildings. And the protesters had the chance to leave peacefully had they chosen to do so. In fact it was Thaksin himself who ordered the protests to continue rather than accept what was a deal to call elections six months later.

Get back on topic and the present day, this blame culture on vilifying people in the present based on the past is IRRELEVENT to the present.

The mob protesting are displaying violence and abusing peoples rights to vote, time to clear them away and use whatever force becomes necessary. The rule of law must be upheld and if that means by force now then so be it. There is not one other nation this would have been allowed to happen to this level.

Enough is enough the protesters stepped way over the line by using violence and intimidation to blockade people legal and human right to vote... clear them out they are now nothing more than terrorists and can claim no moral high ground any longer. Minimum force as is needed but force nevertheless as they will not go voluntarily and some form order must be maintained to stop the place sliding into total anarchy.

Actually your continual lame attempts to defend your dearly beloved criminals is the IRRELEVENT thing here...

okay. Two. Then we'll have a coup. Then 2 then an uprising from the reds. Then an election, then 2, then another declaration of red corruption and the shut down of bkk, then another coup, then two, then another red shirt protest and siege on bangkok, then 2 and maybe some airports, then 2... then 2.... then another 2... then 2...

Can we fit in a couple of Cambodian invasions in there somewhere and maybe an economic one from Myanmar when they pass Thailand in a decade or so at this rate whilst this lot keep fighting over the trough ?

So much for Thailand being an Asian tiger, just a paper one, more like a Hyena fighting over a corpse.

History is littered with countries rise and fall when they turn in the wrong direction, up until recently things wernt global, since it has been Thailand has shown it is really not upto the task of managing itself in any responsible way, not with the Shins and not with the alternative... all rather sad but hardly surprising.....

PS tingtong please try to get that i have no love for either of these feuding children but i also dont believe the propagandist bs that spews out of most thai media here, ive lived here too long to swallow it. If the thais do that just proves my point they are beyond capable of critical thinking and reasonable deductions... you want to suck it up thats your affair and i pity you too.

Edited by englishoak

She cannot.

The Thai Constitution does not allow for any delay to an election unless there is a National Disaster (like war) past the time limit.

A postponement can occur within the time frames (eg they could delay from 2nd to 5th of Feb) but it cannot go past the time limit (in this case Feb 6th) as that would be a breach of the Constitution.

The Constitution Court clarified that the election can be postponed, but only in certain circumstances as stated in the Constitution. They failed to give any guidance on whether the current situation warrants a postponement. (Guess why ???)

Therefore it would be illegal and break the Constitution for there to be any delay of the election past Feb 6th.

The CC had the chance to offer guidance which could have led to a postponement, however they declined to give guidance saying only it could be delayed under certain circumstances like a National Emergency, and did not give any more information.

So the election has to go ahead else on Feb 7th I am quite sure the PDRC and Democrat Party would be filing charges in the CC against Yingluck for not holding an election within the maximum time allowed from dissolution as stated in the Constitution.

Yingluck stated she was willing to postpone the election, if the demonstrations stopped and the protester went home and if the Democrats agreed to participate in the rescheduled elections. They did not accept her offer, the protesters said they did not want the election postponed they want it cancelled.

Why postpone the election if nothing will change to allow the people of Thailand to "vote for who they want" to lead them, Suthep knows he could not win an election, that is why he wants an appointed people's counsel !

The majority of Thai's demand the right to vote, and it is in PTP best interest as well as the interest of the Thai democracy to do as the Thai constitution dictates and go on with the February 2, election for the good of the country.

Cheers

She cannot.

It can be delayed very easily. They just don't want to because the fugitive wants his amnesty, they want the crazy loan to pay the farmers and make themselves even richer, and they want to cry 'diplomatic immunity' when the NACC passes judgement on the myriad cases against them. I hope none of these are allowed to happen as all are very bad for the future of this country...

You forget Yingluck is the PM, not her brother she is, (I will state for the 100th time) If she broke the law, she should have been charged and impeached if found guilty..What your Dear Leader Suthep demands, will lead to more conflict then has ever visited this great country

I believe in the concept of Democracy if the people vote for the Democrats, I would be very disappointed and but I would accept their decision and live under that government until the next election and hope the people vote them out of office!

The election must go on !

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

Wasn't the anti government protest leader shot whilst leading a blockade of a polling station, preventing people from exercising their right to vote?

It doesn't justify his murder, but it significantly changes the context of the article.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Doesn't justify murder, but .................does it mitigate it? To what extent? Misdemeanor status? More, or less?

Does that democratic rigjt inclide using force to prevent people voting?

why does the law say we must wear seat belts

why does the law forbid us to drive while drinking

the answer is easy

some people do not have the brains to make the correct choice, and their decisions can kill them or other innocents

So the protestors are demanding time to educate the Thai People before they make a mistake that can cost the country dearly

In you world everyone should be allowed to drive even when drunk, this is their right and personal decision

very very bad analogy.

Considering that Thai's are the worst drivers around, and we see that weatlh and brains is no guarantee that anyone can drive.

I tell you what, if some snotty pooyai told me that I needed time to be educated, I would tell him to buggar off, before I taught him a lesson

Thankyou you just made my point

Does that democratic rigjt inclide using force to prevent people voting?

why does the law say we must wear seat belts

why does the law forbid us to drive while drinking

the answer is easy

some people do not have the brains to make the correct choice, and their decisions can kill them or other innocents

So the protestors are demanding time to educate the Thai People before they make a mistake that can cost the country dearly

In you world everyone should be allowed to drive even when drunk, this is their right and personal decision

Astonishing racial arrogance!

You know better than the Thai electorate, therefore they should not be allowed rhe vote

Astonishing! .

You like to translate my posting to suit yourself I see

No where did I say Farlang are better than Thai's

after reading you post I would say many thais are more intelligent than you

"You know better than the Thai electorate"

sorry to blow you out of the water, but I am not protesting, those that are, are Thai

Again Again Again

Do you never read other Posts

Every one wants an election, even the protestors

They just want it to be after the 180 days that allows Tasking to get his GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARD

But I guess that does not suit you, stir up the Thais must be your ambition

She cannot.

Yingluck stated she was willing to postpone the election, if the demonstrations stopped and the protester went home and if the Democrats agreed to participate in the rescheduled elections. They did not accept her offer, the protesters said they did not want the election postponed they want it cancelled.

Why postpone the election if nothing will change to allow the people of Thailand to "vote for who they want" to lead them, Suthep knows he could not win an election, that is why he wants an appointed people's counsel !

The majority of Thai's demand the right to vote, and it is in PTP best interest as well as the interest of the Thai democracy to do as the Thai constitution dictates and go on with the February 2, election for the good of the country.

Cheers

If Yingluck put a full stop to trying to get her brother a Get Out Of Jail Free Card

and postponed the election till after the 180 day to prove she is telling the truth

80% of the protestors would go home

This is not about Suthep, you just want that to be what you want

this is about The Thai People protesting

As far as what Yingluk promised

The Thai people no longer believe her lies any more

She cannot.

Cheers

If Yingluck put a full stop to trying to get her brother a Get Out Of Jail Free Card

and postponed the election till after the 180 day to prove she is telling the truth

80% of the protestors would go home

This is not about Suthep, you just want that to be what you want

As far as what Yingluk promised

The Thai people no longer believe her lies any more

not true - to find out what 'The Thai People' want have an election!!!

it's about 10,000 thugs bullying the rest of the country and in any other country they would have been put down by FORCE for attempting a coup and holding the country to ransom - they are lucky they are in a weak and indecisive country

Wasn't the anti government protest leader shot whilst leading a blockade of a polling station, preventing people from exercising their right to vote?

It doesn't justify his murder, but it significantly changes the context of the article.

Doesn't justify murder, but .................does it mitigate it? To what extent? Misdemeanor status? More, or less?

If you had read my post you would have understood that I said it didn't justify murder. New subject: the act in which he was engaged when he was murdered changes the context of the article in the original post. I said nothing at all about mitigation or misdemeanours.

Please don't accuse me of saying things I did not say.

Edited by JAG

If you had read my post you would have understood that I said it didn't justify murder. New subject: the act in which he was engaged when he was murdered changes the context of the article in the original post. I said nothing at all about mitigation or misdemeanours.

Please don't accuse me of saying things I did not say.

There were no accusations of saying anything. I am asking how the context mitigates murder.

BTW do you expect the murderer will have his voting rights restored after he is convicted?