Suvarnabhumi launches investigation after fertilizer bag ignites on conveyor belt [video]

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The shit nearly hit the fan on that one then ... was it bound for one of the protest sites I wonder? wink.png

Why would protesters send it to themselves......They just cannot leave the airport alone can they...it is just such a juicy target to ratchet up the mayhem they need so badly....And in some way one cannot blame them....They got away with messing around at the airport last time......It worked last time and now....Today they got photo's and media attention...

Well, I was being somewhat sarcastic when I mentioned "protests" ... are you suggesting it was something to do with the anti-Govt protestors themselves? To what purpose?

If indeed it was going to Cambodia, seeing as they import pretty much everything, why would it be unusual?

Import one bag!... I assume coffee1.gif you are joking

The shit nearly hit the fan on that one then ... was it bound for one of the protest sites I wonder? wink.png

Why would protesters send it to themselves......They just cannot leave the airport alone can they...it is just such a juicy target to ratchet up the mayhem they need so badly....And in some way one cannot blame them....They got away with messing around at the airport last time......It worked last time and now....Today they got photo's and media attention...

Well, I was being somewhat sarcastic when I mentioned "protests" ... are you suggesting it was something to do with the anti-Govt protestors themselves? To what purpose?

If indeed it was going to Cambodia, seeing as they import pretty much everything, why would it be unusual?

If you had of bothered to read some of the Media articles posted above, you would have read that it was a sample for an exhibition.

To many <deleted> don't bother to read anything before posting a post....

• Like 2

The luggage caught fire while it was about to load into Flight PF 931 at Suvarnabhumi airport to Cambodia.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/luggage-catches-fire-airports-conveyor-belt/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-01-28

The IATA airline code PF is for Primera Air Scandinavia. Does this airline really operate flights from Suvarnabhumi to Phnom Penh?

PG that's bangkok airways ?

Great now all security is going to be on high alert

Time to go to airport early

As for the heat theory how how is it in the airport men were wearing jackets ?

What sort of demonstration in Cambodia a plane on fire?

• Like 1

Good gosh, now wonder Apple sold so many MacIntosh computers. Nobody knows how to ready any more, they just look at pictures.

And you could perhaps complete your own education by looking up the word "sarcasm" on your Windows phone.

It was going on a plane to Cambodia, so unless it was an export import job nothing to do with protest

Sarcasm dear boy. Has everyone lost their sense of humor on here all of a sudden?

It's unuusual because you don't fly fertilizer, you truck it in. There are anti-gov protests in Cambodia too (against their own government).

Is it normal to carry this shit on Planes ?

Absolutely no way! It's a prohibited item, and Phosphorous bombs are used to start fires which are very difficult to put out, apart from buckets of sand! Water is the worst thing.

How did this item get through Airport Security?

That us a very serious allegation you are making there, do you have even the smallest hint of even a scrap of proof to back up your biased ranting ? No ? Thought not. Please stop spreading YOUR personal fertilizer all over this forum. Thank you.

Which airline should we avoiding now(apart from Orient Thai)?

Third paragraph of the OP is a mine of information.....Bangkok Airways.

PG also make quality english tea

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Flight PG 931 from Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Schduled departure time: 08:05

Actual departure time: 08:17

post-21260-0-10176700-1390908992_thumb.g

Nice to see that the fire incident cause only a minimal delay.

I wonder if the passenger who checked in that piece of luggage was taking that flight just the same. I haven't seen anything about it in the news reports so far.

PG--Bangkok Airways.

You wouldn't have thought so, as it is a Boutique Airline, good but over priced tickets. it is spoken about it being an elite airline. Cannot carry a bottle of 120 perfume but can have a bag of shit/to convert into BOOMwhistling.gif

Edited by ginjag

Many disturbing aspects of this situation.

First, if the passenger was an expert in dealing with this fertilizer - he should have certainly been aware that it was a hazardous material and should not be transported in checked luggage.

Second, that the X-ray machine did not pick-up this item in a checked international bag -

Edited by KED

PG--Bangkok Airways.

You wouldn't have thought so, as it is a Boutique Airline, good but over priced tickets. it is spoken about it being an elite airline. Cannot carry a bottle of 120 perfume but can have a bag of shit/to convert into BOOMwhistling.gif

It is not the airline staff but airport security that checks the volume of hand-carried containers of liquids and creams.

On it's it's own fertilisers are just that, fertiliser.

Some can be mixed & used for other purposes, that's when they become "illegal"

However in the CAA/FAA "world of aviation" fertilisers are considered "poisons" and are therefore a banned item.

Hand or hold luggage..

This should be picked up during X-ray screening & the bag pulled for checking.

It doesn't say where the bag actually was in the system, on it's way to hold baggage screening then they can be forgiven

on it's way to the aircraft "post screening" then questions should be asked!!

Flight PG 931 from Bangkok to Phnom Penh

Schduled departure time: 08:05

Actual departure time: 08:17

attachicon.gifPG 931.gif

Nice to see that the fire incident cause only a minimal delay.

I wonder if the passenger who checked in that piece of luggage was taking that flight just the same. I haven't seen anything about it in the news reports so far.

Post #20 will help you out with that.

PG--Bangkok Airways.

It is not the airline staff but airport security that checks the volume of hand-carried containers of liquids and creams.

Just a comparison not saying who's job is who's job, Look at it this way --it is what is going on the plane.

Good god I have done as many flights as I've had cups of coffee, from 1959 to this day, and you are pointing out to me who doe's what.

We have enough school teachers on forum without another. Thanks for the super useless info.thumbsup.gif

First, if the passenger was an expert in dealing with this fertilizer - he should have certainly been aware that it was a hazardous material and should not be transported in checked luggage.

Second, that the X-ray machine did not pick-up this item in a checked international bag -

Some years ago, check-in luggage was x-rayed at the entrance to the check-in area, ie prior to checking the bags in. This is no longer the case, at least is was not so on my last check-in at BKK in February last year, and presumably the luggage now gets x-rayed after check-in, somewhere out of site of the passengers. There is nothing in the news reports to indicate whether this particular bag spontaneously ignited before or after passing through the x-ray machine.

The passenger who checked in that bag is described in one news report as agricultural instructor, in another as the owner of Pongkan Alliance Co Ltd, a supplement food dealer.

Luggage catches fire on airport’s conveyor belt

1-28-2014-2-17-44-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A luggage of a Thai passenger on a Bangkok Airways’ flight to Cambodia caught fire while it was on a baggage conveyor belt to load to the plane before departure.

The luggage belongs to Mr Pongkan Kosithammanat, owner of Pongkan Alliance Co Ltd a supplement food dealer.

The luggage caught fire while it was about to load into Flight PF 931 at Suvarnabhumi airport to Cambodia.

It was checked in by Mr Pongkarn at the airline’s counter at 6.15 a.m. and he boarded the plane at8.35 a.m,

The fire was put out immediately by the airport staff working at the conveyor belt.

Caretaker Transport Minister Chadchat Sittipunt said he received report from airport authorities that the fire was caused by phosphate content inside the luggage.

He said it was fortunate that the fire happened on the ground and not yet loaded to the plane.

It would be very dangerous if the fire broke out while the plane was airborne, he said.

He said it was believed a chemical reaction caused by either heat or friction ignited the fire.

Mr Pongkarn claimed to the police later that the fertilizer he kept inside the luggage was intended for an exhibition in Cambodia.

Airport official said later the fire was caused by a sample of phosphate fertilizer in the luggage.

Suvarnabhumi airport officials have lodged a complaint with the police to impose charge on Mr Pongkarn.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/luggage-catches-fire-airports-conveyor-belt/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-01-28

Ha Ha Ha 1 "the fire was put out immediately by staff working at the conveyor belt"..................AFTER the staff had run away, one man returned with an extinguisher. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifrolleyes.gif

He must have known that the fertilizer sample was prohibited but decided to put it in anyway,

He was also going to be on the same flight so if it had caught fire in the air he would have been one of those who would have probably been killed.

He needs to be done to the full extent of the law for his stupidity.

It's not that disturbing really - it happened in the check in area which is prior to screening in nearly all international airports.

You could place anything in a bag in that area and no-one would be any the wiser. But it would get picked up later.

It is disturbing that someone thought this was a good thing to carry on a plane though - they should be charged.

• Like 1

Post #20 will help you out with that.

I still can't see any information in that post as to whether Mr Pongkarn boarded, or was allowed to board, that flight to Phnom Penh.

Suvarnabhumi airport officials have lodged a complaint with the police to impose charge on Mr Pongkarn.

It does not say he was detained or arrested or otherwise prevented from taking the flight.