How old can embassy proof of income be at Thai immagration

Tomorrow, Jan. 29, 2014 the the US Embassy will be holding a consular outreach in Phuket and I am planning on going for a proof of income letter. I will be turning 50 early in March and I want to convert my tourist visa to a retirment extention in mid-March 2014. Will the letter be too old by then? How old can it be? The next consular outreach in Phuket is April 30, 2014 and by then my tourist visa will be expired.

Also, can anyone tell me what other documents I should provide Phuket Immigration with and/or tell me what other hoops I may have to jump through to convert a tourist visa to get a retirement extention.

Thanks in advance.

The US embassy lets you swear an affidavit and you just bring your own statement. Their website has more info.

Lying is of course a federal offense and as no proof is needed, immigration sometimes asks for supporting evidence of your income, such as a bank statement.

• Like 1

Yes, I used the template and filled it out before printing it also. Its nice and neat for immigration as they use the same one you print. It gets notarized and impressed with a seal. They also confirmed that the letter is good for six months.

There was one of the immigration volunteers at the outreach today. She told me that as of two days ago they require all retirement applicants to have a Thai bank account even if you are doing it based on income. She also said they want proof of the money coming in and said a bank statement would be fine.

It seems kind of odd having to have a Thai bank account in advance since it can be difficult to get one without a non-immigrant visa or work permit.

Edited by Pakaty

Yes, I used the template and filled it out before printing it also. Its nice and neat for immigration as they use the same one you print. It gets notarized and impressed with a seal. They also confirmed that the letter is good for six months.

There was one of the immigration volunteers at the outreach today. She told me that as of two days ago they require all retirement applicants to have a Thai bank account even if you are doing it based on income. She also said they want proof of the money coming in and said a bank statement would be fine.

It seems kind of odd having to have a Thai bank account in advance since it can be difficult to get one without a non-immigrant visa or work permit.

They should not ask for it when you do a change of visa status.

There have been reports of Phuket immigration wanting back-up proof for income affidavits, A Thai bank account showing some transfers into the country would be the best.

You can open a Bangkok bank account and have transfers made to your account via their New York branch at domestic transfer rates. You can even arrange for social security payments to be direct deposited into your account.

I'll open a Thai account but as of now I don't expect to be using it much. The immigration volunteer said my American Bank account statement would be fine as long as it shows money coming in.

I knew about Bangkok Bank's New York Branch but I thought you have to have an account at that branch as well to transfer to a local branch. Am I mistaken there?

As far as Social Security, I'm just turning 50. It will be awhile before I qualify for that, if the government isn't broke by then, ha ha.

I knew about Bangkok Bank's New York Branch but I thought you have to have an account at that branch as well to transfer to a local branch. Am I mistaken there?

You only need an account here. Info here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

You only need an account here. Info here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

And if Bangkok Bank's New York branch are like their London branch they only do commercial (and not personal) accounts in any event.