10,000 police officers mobilized for Sunday election

webfact

It's great that the army has decided to do 'something' instead of waiting for a call for help from EC who will be more than happy to close the voting booth at the first opportunity.

I think the army is sending a clear message to Suthep. Do not mess around this time! If you try to disrupt and provoke a fight from the soldiers, you will have face the full force of the the army. Plus the police.

What is the source of this assertion.

To the best of my knowledge Suthep has the "ultimate keep out of jail card" .

Freinds so hi and hi-so you cannot even mention.He's the sandboy doing the spade work for the lighter brighter folks,what is called by the liberators of Irak a snigger,can you imagine if you or I were to occupy immigration,block main shopping malls of Moscow Beijing or Berlin, suggest kidnapping head of US government etc.

• Like 1

B P is reporting statements right now from the military under "Army: we will protect the people" Specifically stating the Army will protect the public from anti-government and anti-election protestor violence....Working with CMPO...Will be deployed to provide security...Army is supporting CMPO in 2 ways...

Laugh that one off Suthep lovers...

There must be no more incidents like last Sunday: people have the right to vote and the police must ensure that right is upheld. I gather that people prevented from voting last weekend or this weekend will have another chance to vote on 23rd Feb (that's what may wife understands from the Thai media).

By-elections will then be held in the 8 provinces where candidates were prevented from registering.

Then parliament can convene.

One then hopes that discussion of reform will take place in parliament to cut down on the rampant corruption that has taken place in Thailand over the past 100 years at least.

The judiciary need to be reformed first so that they cant continue to topple elected governments - and the newly constituted judiciary need to bring Mr. Suthep to account for his many crimes. including murder and treason.

A fully elected senate is next, followed by a review of the undemocratic 2007 constitution (ripping it up and returning to the 1999 constitution which at the time was agreed to by all stakeholders would be a good idea).

That should keep parliament busy for a term and then there can be another election and the Democratic party should be encouraged to participate - having first agreed to accept the peoples decision.

Happy Days for all except the Ruling Elite who will be swept away for ever and power will truly rest with the people

• Like 1

200,000 policemen to keep security on election day

BANGKOK: -- An estimated half of the 400,000 strong police force will be dispatched to maintain law and order on the election day this Sunday, according to a senior police officer.

Pol Lt-General Amnart Anatngam, assistant national police chief who heads the police centre to maintain peace during the election, said that more than 200,000 policemen would be deployed, and more than 50,000 of them commissioned officers. Those are in addition to 1,450 rapid deployment units on standby at police stations, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-01-29

"I'll see your 10,000, and raise you another 190,000 !" rolleyes.gif

This is excellent news, for donut vendors, one suspects. laugh.png

There is no sign of election where I live, a few posters but no loudspeaker vans and no sign of any action where the local polling station would be. The election will be null and void so might as well accept it and look for a new date.

Edited by nong38

They will need 200k out there and suspect the 10k are for the likely problem areas. The border police is a good move imo they are less involved or polarised than their city dwelling tea money counterparts.

The army has said they will have people out as well but to do exactly what I dont know.

There must be no more incidents like last Sunday: people have the right to vote and the police must ensure that right is upheld. I gather that people prevented from voting last weekend or this weekend will have another chance to vote on 23rd Feb (that's what may wife understands from the Thai media).

By-elections will then be held in the 8 provinces where candidates were prevented from registering.

Then parliament can convene.

One then hopes that discussion of reform will take place in parliament to cut down on the rampant corruption that has taken place in Thailand over the past 100 years at least.

The judiciary need to be reformed first so that they cant continue to topple elected governments - and the newly constituted judiciary need to bring Mr. Suthep to account for his many crimes. including murder and treason.

A fully elected senate is next, followed by a review of the undemocratic 2007 constitution (ripping it up and returning to the 1999 constitution which at the time was agreed to by all stakeholders would be a good idea).

That should keep parliament busy for a term and then there can be another election and the Democratic party should be encouraged to participate - having first agreed to accept the peoples decision.

Happy Days for all except the Ruling Elite who will be swept away for ever and power will truly rest with the people

So the fox is expected to impose and adhere to the rule "nobody eats our hens, even us"...

There is no sign of election where I live, a few posters but no loudspeaker vans and no sign of any action where the local polling station would be. The election will be null and void so might as well accept it and look for a new date.

We went into town yesterday. 30 posters passed in all. 2 were still intact.

What I am hearing is that this time, it's not an empty threat. Depending on rank etc, the police are being equipped with riot gear as we speak, from batons and shields up to live rounds.

Furthermore, it's not just Sunday where it will all come to a head. The crackdown, particularly on the protest sites is going to come sooner than that, which I think is strange. Surely the best time to go in and close the protest sites is when the protestors are at the polling stations?

That's only 2 cops for each polling station in the country. Sounds normal. However, assigning 10,000 police to Bkk's 50 polling stations (200 for each) will leave the rest of the country short. It will probably mean a heyday for common criminals while police are distracted.

That's only 2 cops for each polling station in the country. Sounds normal. However, assigning 10,000 police to Bkk's 50 polling stations (200 for each) will leave the rest of the country short. It will probably mean a heyday for common criminals while police are distracted.

common criminals ? but i thought the BIB are the............ I'm confused now.

Now it is :

5,000 police officers tasked with safeguarding polling stations in BKK

BANGKOK, 30 January 2014 (NNT) - The Center for Managing of Peace and Order (CMPO) will deploy 5,000 police officers at all polling stations in the capital and request the army to send officers to provide security in southern border provinces on the election day.

CMPO Director Chalerm Yubamrung said he would talk with national police chief Pol.Gen. Adul Saengsingkaew about sending forces to take ballot papers back after a group of people surrounded the Hat Yai Grand Postal Building to prevent the postal service from distributing ballot papers to southern constituencies. The center would also ask the secretary-general of the National Security Council to help maintaining peace and order in the three southern border provinces during the national election, Mr Chalerm said.

In Bangkok, 5,000 police officers will be deployed to facilitate voters’ journey to a polling station and prevent interceptions of ballot paper shipment.

Regarding the anti-government protesters’s walk to campaign the election on 2 February, Mr Chalerm said the protesters could parade in a peaceful manner and discouraged them from closing down polling stations since they would face legal actions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-30

But not to worry the reds will come to the rescue :

Thida calls red shirts to come out to protect polling stations

BANGKOK: -- Thida Thavornseth, chairperson of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), Thursday made her appeal to the red shirts nationwide, calling them to help ensure the voting would not be interrupted.

She made the appeal after the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) threatened to besiege all 50 district offices in Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-30

A lot more protestors than you sheeple want to think there are. Instead of trying to belittle the protest movement constantly, why don't you tell us how great your beloved PT have been for the country over the last 2.5 years, tell us why they deserve to stay in power...? I really want to know why ?

We want the Thai people to vote for whomever they want, tingtong.