Sell Car = Greater Happiness?

puukao

Yet another thread about Thai driving, with a slight variation. People convincing themselves that they don't need a car. Good for you. Will absolutely save you money. You can also save money by not having A/C, eating plain rice every meal, no TV, no internet, no cable, etc., etc.

I could not live without a car. My quality of life, freedom, etc, would go straight down the toilet. I drive every single day. Every single day. Rarely a problem getting to and from. Zero stress most of the time. What are you people on about?

It's not so much about saving money. It's about reallocating resources. When you consider the huge costs of car ownership over a span of years, that money could have been used for other things:

* taking many small trips to other countries or visiting your home country every year or two

* buying top-notch medical insurance and medical care, and having a solid "emergency fund" available

* living in a roomier, more beautiful condo (maybe even with a jacuzzi and part-time cook)

* eating at finer restaurants

* early retirement or not having to work as much

These things will enhance your quality of life, not diminish it. But I agree, for some people, it's not an option.

If you have all of those things and still own a car - and you're happy - then you're living the dream. Enjoy!

Good points, certainly. But many of us can still have these things and own a car. I agree that if one was on a tight budget, then they would have to decide on what to do without. There's many things I would do without before I would become car-less.

I do agree with folks like the OP who's lifestyle does not require having a car. If that being the case, you can certainly eliminate a lot of headaches that come with owning a car. In places like Bangkok, or even NYC, it's almost a disadvantage to own a car. But I've become so accustomed (or dependent) on a car that all these things that comes with owning a car (e.g., insurance, registration, gas, maintenance, traffic, parking, etc.) are just normal. Like having to eat and sleep.

Lastly, I do realize that the traffic in Chiang Mai keeps getting worse and worse. That's the price we pay for living in a place that everyone else wants to live in!

• Like 1

Having lived almost all my life in London, but travelling by car a lot on business, I learned early on to drive as though all other vehicles on the road were being driving by idiots.

When I arrived here and bought a car, I was amazed to find I became a 'driver' again, rather than the cash-cow motorist I'd been in the UK. For my last 12 years in London I lived 8kms from my place of business, a trip which took between 45 minutes and 1.5 hours twice a day, traffic dependent. Nowadays, I live 18km from town and the trip takes at worst 35 minutes or so - and there aren't any traffic lights! I enjoy driving again, even during heavy traffic, and wouldn't be without a car - nor would my five dogs when a vet visit is due.

The need for a car is part of one's chosen lifestyle, admittedly, but I'd hate to see CM turned into a mini-modern, smaller US town or even a mini-BKK with no older properties or winding streets and overhead mass transit vehicles ruining its quaint cityscape. Trams would be a good idea, but that's about all. CM is 700-plus years old, and is in Thailand, and if I hadn't wanted to live a totally 21st-century life I'd have stayed in the UK. I don't even mind the pavements here, such as they are, they're all part of the difference and diversity.

The global trend of turning everywhere into copies of first-world countries is, to me, disturbing, and usually results in losing more than is gained. Modernistas here should just be grateful that we've now more malls, trendy condo blocks and chain coffee and fast-food shops than the average first world town!

• Like 1