Fortuner 2014 2.5 AT & 2.5 MT

Amir

Hi All,

I am trying to find some infos and reviews of the Fortuner 2.5 liter whether in auto or in manual. I can't see any in the street but only 3 liter. Since they upgraded the engines to VNT technology I guess that 2.5 liter engine in diesel would be enough?

Anyone has experience with a New Fortuner 2.5 Liter Diesel?

Cheers and thanks for any info.

The 2.5L Fortuner is a rare animal indeed. The only reason I know that there is even such an animal is because my nephew has one and it's AT. The only reason he bought it is because the dealership gave him such a good deal (because they wanted to get rid of it!).

As for power, that has to be your personal determination because everyone has different tastes and preferences. As for myself, personally, nothing under a (chipped) 3.0L engine satisfies me. The Fortuner with a 3.0L, especially with 4x4, is sweet and handles all-around road conditions pretty well. It has sufficient passing power and handles the steepest of mountain roads (under load) with ease.

The 2.5L, is not as powerful (or popular) as the 3.0L, and thus, a rarity on the road.

The 2.5L Fortuner is a rare animal indeed. The only reason I know that there is even such an animal is because my nephew has one and it's AT. The only reason he bought it is because the dealership gave him such a good deal (because they wanted to get rid of it!).

As for power, that has to be your personal determination because everyone has different tastes and preferences. As for myself, personally, nothing under a (chipped) 3.0L engine satisfies me. The Fortuner with a 3.0L, especially with 4x4, is sweet and handles all-around road conditions pretty well. It has sufficient passing power and handles the steepest of mountain roads (under load) with ease.

The 2.5L, is not as powerful (or popular) as the 3.0L, and thus, a rarity on the road.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for your input!

I think you'll find that it only come's in manual it was their cheapest range starting at just over 1 Mil: bt I did drive one once when they lent it to me for a day. Thank Buddha it was for only a day slow you had better believe it, also went through fuel big time due to it being underpowered so to go at any speed you had to rev it all the time in lower gear's.

I have a 3lt Fortuner and even that seemed underpowered, not now though as have had it sorted now produces a little under 250bhp as against the 160 something for an unconverted one. Now we are talking fly's past everything.

Advice if you want to crawl about and never overtake anything go for it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input!

I think you'll find that it only come's in manual it was their cheapest range starting at just over 1 Mil: bt I did drive one once when they lent it to me for a day. Thank Buddha it was for only a day, slow, you had better believe it, also went through fuel big time due to it being underpowered so to go at any speed you had to rev it all the time in lower gear's.

I have a 3lt Fortuner and even that seemed underpowered, not now though as have had it sorted now produces a little under 250bhp as against the 160 something for an unconverted one. Now we are talking fly's past everything.

That's what I'm talking about! facepalm.gif

So, what all did you do to get your 3.0L up to (250 hp) speed? I bet its performance is right-on! thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your input!

I think you'll find that it only come's in manual it was their cheapest range starting at just over 1 Mil: bt I did drive one once when they lent it to me for a day. Thank Buddha it was for only a day slow you had better believe it, also went through fuel big time due to it being underpowered so to go at any speed you had to rev it all the time in lower gear's.

Unfortunately I have not too much choice as just found out that "due to company rules" I am only entitled to a 2.5 L engine. So now the choice will be between the Auto and the manual. Even though i like Manual gear much more than Auto, I will choose the auto due to the extra options that are absolutely not existing in the manual version.

What surprises me is that you guys say that the fortuner is underpowered even with the upgraded VNT engine bringing 144 HP. I currently have the 2.5 Triton 4 WD with 140 HP and it weights 1950 kg. The 2014 Fortuner weight surprisingly less (1850kg) and develops 144 HP. The triton is not a super powerful truck but I am definitely not disappointed with its power and don't feel it underpowered. I you believe that the power will be very similar than the 2.5 L Fortuner... Than I will be happy with it.

Feel free to give me your inputs guys.

PS:I would be interested however to know how you boosted your engine to get more power.

Cheers

Thanks for your input!

I think you'll find that it only come's in manual it was their cheapest range starting at just over 1 Mil: bt I did drive one once when they lent it to me for a day. Thank Buddha it was for only a day, slow, you had better believe it, also went through fuel big time due to it being underpowered so to go at any speed you had to rev it all the time in lower gear's.

So, what all did you do to get your 3.0L up to (250 hp) speed? I bet its performance is right-on! thumbsup.gif

I have the Sportivo version some 4.5 year's old now. Got the job done in BKK (Not just a chip) cost around 50thou Bt three years ago. Being and early one only has the normal 4 speed auto box that is really a 6 speed one as by selecting 2nd or 3rd it change's into a gear between 2 and 3rd same in 2 gear.
N/B I don't ever use the 2nd set up to overtake just the 3rd it fly's as I said before when it rev's to high it change's back into 3 full time then just plonk it into drive and your still pulling past 200km not been any faster as most of the road's I travel are not good enough not to mention the idiot's that abound. But to get past traffic it's a Buddha sent.

Unfortunately I have not too much choice as just found out that "due to company rules" I am only entitled to a 2.5 L engine. So now the choice will be between the Auto and the manual. Even though i like Manual gear much more than Auto, I will choose the auto due to the extra options that are absolutely not existing in the manual version.

What surprises me is that you guys say that the fortuner is underpowered even with the upgraded VNT engine bringing 144 HP. I currently have the 2.5 Triton 4 WD with 140 HP and it weights 1950 kg. The 2014 Fortuner weight surprisingly less (1850kg) and develops 144 HP. The triton is not a super powerful truck but I am definitely not disappointed with its power and don't feel it underpowered. I you believe that the power will be very similar than the 2.5 L Fortuner... Than I will be happy with it.

PS:I would be interested however to know how you boosted your engine to get more power.

Cheers

With you coming to the table already happy with the performance of your 2.5L Triton 4WD with its 140 HP, you may very well be comfortable with a 2.5L Fortuner. A simple case of, 'Different strokes for different folks'.

Adding a diesel chip alone will only realize you comparatively minimal performance gain in this engine as there isn't much inherent power to be tapped.

I have the Sportivo version some 4.5 year's old now. Got the job done in BKK (Not just a chip) cost around 50thou Bt three years ago. Being and early one only has the normal 4 speed auto box that is really a 6 speed one as by selecting 2nd or 3rd it change's into a gear between 2 and 3rd same in 2 gear.
N/B I don't ever use the 2nd set up to overtake just the 3rd it fly's as I said before when it rev's to high it change's back into 3 full time then just plonk it into drive and your still pulling past 200km not been any faster as most of the road's I travel are not good enough not to mention the idiot's that abound. But to get past traffic it's a Buddha sent.

A Sportivo! I should have known. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

If you want more power you will have to go with the 3lt to start with.
The other option is a Pajero 2.5 that produces some ware in the region of 170bhp not unlike the 3lt Fortuner. Lot's of peep's swear by them. I don't like the look of the wheel set up huge gap between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch, + they tend to lean on corners due to there light suspension, you will get peep's that say I'm talking out of my bum on the leaning bit but if you travel behind one on hilly bendy road's you would see what I mean. Horse's for courses up to you I think you had better check up on the 2.5 Fortuner at one time they only made it in Manual. I could be wrong on that point. N/B If you load and 2.5 producing less that 150hp it'll be a quick as a snail. Try putting 5 peep's and luggage in one and it'll stop. Well not quite but you'll get my drift.
Add on.
They do do a 2.7 petrol and that is also slow, Also drink's fuel. Edited by fredob43

This version is often spotted at the bottom of my Mountain, smashed to shit. They handle like a Tesco Trolley over 110. i know i had a Sptivo one. But it did impress the wannabees for a while.,,,Kids ,w00t.gif.... i should have bought them a 4Door Auto Vigo,just as good IMO. And it would have left me enough Beer Tokens to buy the Mia Noi a Suzi Swift and a Tyre Pressure Gauge.

• Like 1

Cheers

The other option is a Pajero 2.5 that produces some ware in the region of 170bhp not unlike the 3lt Fortuner. Lot's of peep's swear by them. I don't like the look of the wheel set up huge gap between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch, + they tend to lean on corners due to there light suspension, you will get peep's that say I'm talking out of my bum on the leaning bit but if you travel behind one on hilly bendy road's you would see what I mean. Horse's for courses up to you I think you had better check up on the 2.5 Fortuner at one time they only made it in Manual. I could be wrong on that point. N/B If you load and 2.5 producing less that 150hp it'll be a quick as a snail. Try putting 5 peep's and luggage in one and it'll stop. Well not quite but you'll get my drift.

Wheel clearance on a Vigo 4x4 is for a reason, my Vigo 4x4 does not lean in truck mode. In rally mode it probably will............smile.png

Cheers

Wheel clearance on a Vigo 4x4 is for a reason, my Vigo 4x4 does not lean in truck mode. In rally mode it probably will............smile.png

Ignored AOP post as usual talking out of his butt. I was referring to the gap between the top of the wheel's and the wheel arches on a Pajero, I don't like the look of it but it's there for a reason as I have said on bendy hillycorner's the wheel's need it other wise they would have no ware to go.
Vigo is different kettle of fish to a Fortuner. Have had both, both good in their own way's one's a work horse the other an MPV. Neither handle's like a sport's car not designed to. But with a bit of extra grunt on strait road's they both can be lot's of fun.

Mine is 6 to 8 weeks old and a 2.5 AT V Diesel, I actually find it slower than the  2009/2010, 2.5 Manual Vigo (non VN Turbo), I just got rid of.

Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with it, It does 12.6 KM to the Litre and is a very comfortable drive.

I really didn't see (and still don't) see the need for 4X4 and a 3.0L engine although the 2.5 (At least the AT version) can seem a bit sluggish at times.  Still cruises comfortably at 160KPH apparently whistling.gif

Edited by Satcommlee
  • Like 1

Mine is 6 to 8 weeks old and a 2.5 AT V Diesel, I actually find it slower than the  2009/2010, 2.5 Manual Vigo (non VN Turbo), I just got rid of.

Don't get me wrong I am more than happy with it, It does 12.6 KM to the Litre and is a very comfortable drive.

I really didn't see (and still don't) see the need for 4X4 and a 3.0L engine although the 2.5 (At least the AT version) can seem a bit sluggish at times.  Still cruises comfortably at 160KPH apparently whistling.gif

If you are happy with your 2.5 well done you I used to get slightly better kmpl until I had it sorted now only return's average 10kmpl Just out of curiosity is it a manual as at one time that was the only option available.

How one can enjoy a dated modified truck these days is beyond me, there is the Captivo, Trailblazer, all purpose built not just an overpriced blinged Vigo. I just dont like em,thats that. If they suit you so be it.

Please try and come up with something original as you childish inept post's just annoy everyone. Tip try and get some form of a life.
  • Like 1

I'm afraid after wasting money on a load of crap,you couldn't drive on dipped lights,steering that tram-lined, gps that wouldnt work until changed after 2 months, plus niggly bits ive forgotten from 7Years ago im entitled to My View. Just as You are. UN FORTUNA  TELY I can find much wrong with Vigo ?Blazer et all, i speak as i find, i dont defend something because i cant afford to change it, im too old.w00t.gif

I'm afraid after wasting money on a load of crap,you couldn't drive on dipped lights,steering that tram-lined, gps that wouldnt work until changed after 2 months, plus niggly bits ive forgotten from 7Years ago im entitled to My View. Just as You are. UN FORTUNA  TELY I can find much wrong with Vigo ?Blazer et all, i speak as i find, i dont defend something because i cant afford to change it, im too old.w00t.gif

Think you bought a ''basket case'' or your lights needed adjusting and the tracking sorted.............smile.png

If you are happy with your 2.5 well done you I used to get slightly better kmpl until I had it sorted now only return's average 10kmpl Just out of curiosity is it a manual as at one time that was the only option available.

No it is automatic, 12.6 KMPL shows on the trip computer but I have put 10'000KM on it already only in just under 2 months, I do a lot of highway driving and very little round town.

I believe the Fortuner 2.5 Auto only comes in 2 WD, 4WD needs the 3ltr.

You are right, at least when I was shopping for it, no 4WD 2.5 option

No it is automatic, 12.6 KMPL shows on the trip computer but I have put 10'000KM on it already only in just under 2 months, I do a lot of highway driving and very little round town.

You are right, at least when I was shopping for it, no 4WD 2.5 option

So they have updated it when it first came out only in manual at least you now have an option.
As regard's the fuel I never trust the electric thingy I did several run's with a full tank and refilled after, the best I ever got was 15 kpl but I did have to drive very carefully. Since I have had it sorted the clock thingy say's I'm getting about 12 but using the taco + how much Diesel I put in it always work's out at near as dam it 10, a hell of a lot less if I give it a lot of right foot. On a 500km run recently all I got was 7.5
Thanks for the info. Edited by fredob43

Have you ever tried to get 7 peep's in a Captiva (Note spelling) 'you can only just get two full size people on the back seat' and then you try and compare it with a Fortuner + you say that they Fortuner's are the same as a Vigo.
It's nothing like a Vigo, for your information one's a pick up and one an MPV if you hadn't noticed, it also doesn't have leaf spring's it has coil, not to mention all the other suspension bit's that are not the same, it's also 1.5' shorter and a lot lower, how you can compare them in the same light is anyone guess. Maybe it's because it has the same engine. I would like to ask where do you get your info from, do you just pluck it out of thin air??? Cant drive on dipped light's ??? Steering that tram lined??? Regard's the sat/nav all the peep's had to do was touch the reset bit and he would have been ok.
7 year's ago A, thing's have change a lot since then if you hadn't noticed.
You cant come up with anything intelligent that only happened yesterday!!! allegedly, maybe better you don't post at all, well at least until the brain start's up again.

As one to our poster's has on his post's.

If you are and idiot better to keep quiet than open your mouth (or post in your case) and prove the fact.

went on their website already but just wanted to have inputs from people who actually drove the car.

thanks to all by the way. got plenty of different opinons. pretty cool.

I don't understand why OP doesn't go to Toyota web site and extract info same as attached. 

It is clear that 2.5 L model is designed for city driving only, hence no 4WD. Unless you plan to go to rural areas of Thailand and drive on mountains with dirt roads, you won't need 3.0 liter + 4WD.

144 Hp for 1850 kg seems a bit less, but considering you won't drive over 120-130 km/h in here (speedcams) you won't need it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

They do do a 2.7 petrol and that is also slow

What absolute rubbish. Just shows you've never had one. I have one for 7 years and it'd kick ass over any 3 Litre turbo. Sh1t off a shovel at standing starts. Had mine coverted to LPG and I get over 1Km for every 2 Baht of LPG. Basically 350 Km per 650 Baht of LPG. If you convert, Toyota still honour your engine warranty. People may say, wrongly, that LPG doesn't have the same power as petrol. On auto change over, when the LPG runs out, there is no feeling/change in performance. All a doom forecasters myth along with all the other myths regarding LPG conversions.

• Like 1

They do do a 2.7 petrol and that is also slow

What absolute rubbish. Just shows you've never had one. I have one for 7 years and it'd kick ass over any 3 Litre turbo. Sh1t off a shovel at standing starts. Had mine coverted to LPG and I get over 1Km for every 2 Baht of LPG. Basically 350 Km per 650 Baht of LPG. If you convert, Toyota still honour your engine warranty. People may say, wrongly, that LPG doesn't have the same power as petrol. On auto change over, when the LPG runs out, there is no feeling/change in performance. All a doom forecasters myth along with all the other myths regarding LPG conversions.

Don't believe you. Look at the torque and horse power numbers between petrol and diesel 7 tears back.......coffee1.gif  Must add the diesel gives max torque FROM 1400rpm up.

Don't know about fiqures only the feel of the 2.7 vigo I drove and to me it was much faster off the mark, I guess the reason there are not a lot about is petrol consumption, if they sold it with LPG fitted I think it would sell better.

Don't know about fiqures only the feel of the 2.7 vigo I drove and to me it was much faster off the mark, I guess the reason there are not a lot about is petrol consumption, if they sold it with LPG fitted I think it would sell better.

Perhaps it has a lower ratio final drive, I don't know without a search......smile.png