Can you recognise written sarcasm?

simon43

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you have to denote sarcasm there is absolutely no point in using it.

Sadly literacy levels on tv are quite low - even taking into account people who are non-native speakers.

then of course there are the curmudgeons who are literal to a fault and seeking offense in all things.

TV - misery loves company.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

I'm a non-native English speaker.

I have to admit that I some times have difficulties with recognizing British sarcasm. I also admit that rhyming slang is way beyond me.

However I take offense at being called a brain-dead moron because of it.

Yermanee

• Like 2

However, I find your stereotyping of Americans not being familiar with sarcasm obnoxious and ill informed.

Sigh, I was being sarcastic.......

I think sarcasm is strong in Europe, maybe stronger in east than in west Europe.

Less in USA and even less in Asia.

But of course with a huge margin of difference depending on area, society, person. Some West Germans don't have it at all and 100 km to the East it very strong.....

I'm a non-native English speaker.

I have to admit that I some times have difficulties with recognizing British sarcasm. I also admit that rhyming slang is way beyond me.

However I take offense at being called a brain-dead moron because of it.

Yermanee

My English isn't good....but the British sarcasm is just a bit different flavor of the same thing in East Austria.....It is like a apple and pear....not the same but almost....

I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

Perhaps it's more a matter of people not liking your sarcasm, so they choose to ignore it and answer in a straightforward way, or as another post said, it's just not presented well enough to be recognized as sarcasm.

It is so overused by some people that I think we just lose patience for it and ignore it.

• Like 1

However, I find your stereotyping of Americans not being familiar with sarcasm obnoxious and ill informed.

Sigh, I was being sarcastic.......

Then do what I do, put a metatag to make it clear for those who don't get it. Eg. <yes, I'm being sarcastic> biggrin.png

Darn it Simon!

As one of those not so bright USA fellows, I must complain!

I just spent the better part of an hour looking for your damn sarcasm symbol on my keyboard and can't find it anywhere!

Do I need a British made keyboard to use the symbol??

I am very upset with you!

post-147745-0-62940000-1391067761_thumb.

• Like 1

Less sarcasm and trolling, might make this website a lot better.

I wonder how many times HooHaa has been banned from this website in his 20 wise years of living here.

You old folk come from an era of low education and your surprised its starting to show now? whistling.gif

I gotta admit I'm stumped on this one.

1st post, "Or as a woman once said on a BBC documentary about her "British" accent"

2nd post, "Pleeese!! Call it a Cockney accent, but please do not call it a British accent. I speak with a British accent, as does HM Queen Elizabeth,as did Lord Mountbatten... That is a British accent - everything else is a regional English (and often unintelligable) accent smile.png"

I think post #two means the guy is proud of his British accent and is belittling a cockney accent.

Does anyone find post number two sarcastic? If so how do you know?

1st post, "Or as a woman once said on a BBC documentary about her "British" accent"

2nd post, "Pleeese!! Call it a Cockney accent, but please do not call it a British accent. I speak with a British accent, as does HM Queen Elizabeth,as did Lord Mountbatten... That is a British accent - everything else is a regional English (and often unintelligable) accent smile.png"

I think post #two means the guy is proud of his British accent and is belittling a cockney accent.

Wrong, there is no British accent. ..........The norm for UK hi-so's is an Oxford English accent...................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

My kids say I am the most sarcastic person they know. I think they mean that as an insult but I wear it as a badge of honour.

But if you have to tell people when you are being sarcastic what is the point, you might as well be a Thai comedy show with drums and swanee whistles.

Better to suffer the slings and arrows than give in to pandering to those who don't get it. You cannot please everyone. Anyone with more than one post on this forum will know that.

attachicon.gifsarcasm.jpg

I gave it up in public because no one understands it anyway.....

Wrong, there is no British accent. ..........The norm for UK hi-so's is an Oxford English accent...................coffee1.gif

I get that but did the poster?

Was the person who wrote, "Pleeese!! Call it a Cockney accent, but please do not call it a British accent. I speak with a British accent, as does HM Queen Elizabeth,as did Lord Mountbatten... That is a British accent - everything else is a regional English (and often unintelligable) accent smile.png"

Was the person being sarcastic or did he just not know? And if he was being sarcastic how would I know?