Age limit of 45 to study TESOL course?

lovesomtam

Hi,

I am considering doing a TESOL course in Thailand and when googling 'best tesol course in Thailand ' the top hit is a place which says the age limits for people wishing to study the courses are 18-45.

I just turned 46!

Does this mean I cannot study for a tesol cert. ?

Is this common, or just the policy of this particular school?

Any advice appreciated.

Information on alternative schools that are widely recognized also appreciated.

Kind regards.

Edited by lovesomtam

^ thank you for taking the time to write a long an informative post.

A response from my inquiry:

*****, good morning?

Thank you for the interest in our TEFL courses. 46 isn't too old, our best teachers are all in their 40's and 50's but we do need to publish some guidelines.

I hope you understand and maybe we might meet one day.

Yours sincerely,

No school will refuse you at 56, monnee.

You really don't want to teach here unless you have family or a clear path to a professional position. The pay is horrible, the conditions unpleasant by account, the TCT governing board is an absolute mess. WPs, even visas are not always forthcomming and then there are the agencies.

Do you have a BA (in Education)? If not, you are done before you start.

Thailand, highest requirements - lowest pay - - - in the world

Chaos and utter confusion, abdolute in ability to communicate with foreign teaching community and to set standards and mechanism to meet those standards.

Thanks simon. Thought it was a bit strange. I have written to them so will let you know what they say.

Many schools and also governments restrict the age of foreign teachers.

With English First, the upper limit for them accepting qualified teachers seems to be 55 in most countries, and while I've been told they're flexible in this, their governments may not be.

The Indonesian govt also has an upper limit of 55. That's their retiring age for public servants.

My BA was in History and my first day on the CELTA course was also my 61st birthday. Mind you, it's a very demanding course and I was totally knackered at the end of it. While my younger fellow students went off drinking and dancing to celebrate I slept!

• Like 2

I heard the Chichester college is good, but they ll pass everyone don't they?

The TEFL schools cannot just pass everybody, if they did, the students who should have failed would soon be found out, and that would not do the schools reputation any good.

It is said that everybody graduates, I heard that a lot of times when I was doing the TEFL course. What actually happens is if you are not up to it then the school will not let you graduate. But the school I went to, let you repeat the course at no extra charge.

There is also about a 20% fall out, those who don't finish the course, either because they don't fancy it, or have been told they will not graduate, or as I said, can repeat the course at no extra charge.

You really don't want to teach here unless you have family or a clear path to a professional position. The pay is horrible, the conditions unpleasant by account, the TCT governing board is an absolute mess. WPs, even visas are not always forthcomming and then there are the agencies.

Chaos and utter confusion, abdolute in ability to communicate with foreign teaching community and to set standards and mechanism to meet those standards.

Yeah I agree that no school will refuse you whatever age you have. Schools offering those courses are good businesses. So if they are strict in age, it is tantamount to also limit their earnings

Somtam

I got told the same thing.

Itis more for their protection as most people that take these courses hae the mistaken belief that once they are finished a job will be quaranteed.

Simon and i have the same age issue lol

You should know however that a lot of schools are looking for the same thing. A young teacher so that they are easier for the school to controland supposedly easier to teach the students.

School I was at tried that and i ended up having to supervise and try to teach him and teach all my classes.

Take the course do what you have to do and be polite and keen and you will get a job no problem.

As Zeichen says, CELTA or Trinity TESOL are the best TEFL courses to take if you're serious about a career in TEFL. Neither has any age limit.

Trinity includes observed younger learner classes. CELTA only teachers you to teach adults. Most work in Thailand is with young learners.

Thanks simon. Thought it was a bit strange. I have written to them so will let you know what they say.

Many schools and also governments restrict the age of foreign teachers.

With English First, the upper limit for them accepting qualified teachers seems to be 55 in most countries, and while I've been told they're flexible in this, their governments may not be.

The Indonesian govt also has an upper limit of 55. That's their retiring age for public servants.

i havent heard if thais have this.

i have taught tefl , toefl, tesol, and this year i will be 45.

keep asking this more

well...rock on

As Zeichen says, CELTA or Trinity TESOL are the best TEFL courses to take if you're serious about a career in TEFL. Neither has any age limit.

Trinity includes observed younger learner classes. CELTA only teachers you to teach adults. Most work in Thailand is with young learners.

True, but there's plenty of work teaching teenagers, adults, business and exam prep (IELTS etc) in Thailand and CELTA still gives a good grounding in TEFL. If you only want to teach kids, I would pick a more suitable course, but for general TEFL it's the best.

Absolute horsesh*t.

Why do you need family or path to pro position?

The pay is what you make it. Normal is 30k baht per month.

Many people can live on half that and have a decent life. Unpleasant conditions? Things are different, but by no means intolerable.

Nobody is demanding a B Educationdegree.

The TCT asks certain things of you which are doable and I wouldn't say difficult to overcome. My WPs and Visas were absolutely straight forward and the schools have bent over backwards to do them for me. Don't let one person's horrid experience cloud the whole teaching thing here. Yes, it's hard and can be frustrating, but also incredibly rewarding.

Edited by duanebigsby
  • Like 2

"...abdolute in ability to communicate..." errr, exactly.

I maybe wrong, but I think the mandatory retirement age in Thailand is 60. I know many Thai teachers who were forced to retire when they hit their 60th birthday.

You are correct as per civil servant and government positions such as government schools & universities. Private may not have such policy.

I maybe wrong, but I think the mandatory retirement age in Thailand is 60. I know many Thai teachers who were forced to retire when they hit their 60th birthday.

You are correct as per civil servant and government positions such as government schools & universities. Private may not have such policy.

but foreigners can't be civil servants or work directly for the Thai government so this restriction doesn't apply to them. Foreigners in government schools aren't recognized as government employees. They work indirectly for the government at government schools/unis so therefore don't receive the same benefits and aren't covered by the same rules

• Like 1

Go for it! I am 57 and got mine and to hell with any listings of 'rules' about age.The schools here do not look at ones age but rather at the person and what they think that the person can bring to the classroom. This is as it should be. Now this is not to say that every school will do this, but it really is a matter of how you present yourself.There are many TESL (etc) courses out there. Each says that they are the best or offer some sort of 'placement service'. Close your eyes and pick scientifically with the tip of your finger on the screen. For the best chances of fulfilling the needs of many of the schools I would suggest taking the 100 or 100 + hour course and then 'specializing' by taking a Young Learners course or Business English course (just as examples). Always a good idea to have a particular area of 'study'. But all of these courses, even the ones that require 'in class training' are easy enough to complete and only require you to give a dam and do the work. Mine, though it gave me 4 months to do it, I was done in 2. I even went with the option of paying the extra for a tutor at the other end. Sort of nice when you have a question and we became rather friendly. He was a good contact to have and we still talk from time to time. My 'school' was here in LOS and was reputable (I checked). So do check them all out and go with your gut. But do not think that it will get you a job. That depends upon you.

• Like 1