Impossible to be 'Just Friends' with Thai women?

fish fingers

One of my very best friends is a Thai lady and we have been very close for 27 years. There has never been one moment between us that was not purely platonic. She has never asked for or taken any money from me. In fact, she is always offering to lend it to me but I never take it also.

She often makes me Thai food treats or takes me to dinner and I give her business advice or translate something to English for her. We have even been on holidays together and we just enjoy each others company. I truly love her like a sister.

I have other female Thai friends but Saraphee is special.

do you sleep together when you go on holidays,no hidden meaning just wondering,is she a elderly lady your friend

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Thai females that were just friends so I don't know if I'm unique but it didn't really seem to be that big of a problem.

On another note...I was at an office party with my girlfriend and at the end of the night a colleague of mine offered to give another girl a ride home because they lived close. As soon as they left my girlfriend said "they're going to boom-boom". I just looked at her strangely and said they both work for our company and it's not unusual for someone to offer a ride home if they live close to one another. I knew them both and they were in separate relationships so there was nothing suspicious going on; if there was they probably would have left separately and met somewhere else rather than leave together in front of everyone at the party.

What surprised me was that she just didn't think it was conceivable that a man could give a woman a ride home without F&&king her. Anyway...I'm not with that particular female anymore because her attitude was more of a reflection of her own behavior and mind set than that of normal adults that can actually control their libido.

Edited by TimTang

One of my very best friends is a Thai lady and we have been very close for 27 years. There has never been one moment between us that was not purely platonic. She has never asked for or taken any money from me. In fact, she is always offering to lend it to me but I never take it also.

She often makes me Thai food treats or takes me to dinner and I give her business advice or translate something to English for her. We have even been on holidays together and we just enjoy each others company. I truly love her like a sister.

I have other female Thai friends but Saraphee is special.

do you sleep together when you go on holidays,no hidden meaning just wondering,is she a elderly lady your friend

If we travel overseas we share a room but not a bed. If we travel here in Thailand we always have separate rooms. As I said, we have been friends for 27 years but I did a re-calculation and it is actually 29 years. So, we are both getting on in years having met when we were in our thirties. She has her own business and a son who calls me Uncle.

absolutely possible to have thai female friends. it's perfectly normal, the same as i have female friends back home.

in particular i've know three thai women for over 10 years. we're mates, we help each other out, we chat, we gossip! we're friends.

if you are unable to find female friends here i would take a look at yourself first.

• Like 1

Straight men and straight women will never be just friends. Cardinal rule.

Cardinal Rule? Are you are a catholic? What does the Pope think? He seems more lenient, ask him perhaps he will approve. I used to live with 5 friends who were Thai girls, I don't care what the Cardinal thinks.

Thai girls won't be alone with a guy unless happy to do the bed thing.

In Thailand friends go out in groups, not one male, one female.

I don't know where you come up with this stuff. One of my best friends is a Thai girl (woman) from South Thailand and when she visits BKK we go out together alone. We have been friends 5+ years and talk regularly. She has never had a romantic interest in me and I have never been interested in her in that way. She has a long term BF and I'm married. I have another female Thai friend I met at my martial arts class 4 years ago. We have remained friends since and go out to eat and chill together sometimes. She is now friends with my wife also.

most of my thai friends are female.

it is possible.

there is always flirtation, and i have slept with a number of them all of whom remain good freinds after the fact.

Anyone one who spouts truisms like "Thai girls won't be alone with a guy unless happy to do the bed thing." is either spouting nonsense or trapped in 1982 or earlier.

Another facebook victim. "Most of my Thai friends are female"

People usually don't have many real friends in their whole lifetime, but you've got a weird view of friendship.If you've got three good friends, you can call yourself lucky.

Please explain, how you make your friends. I'm just trying to understand your post better.I just don't get it.

Or are you trapped in a male body and some girls are trying to dress you up?-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I don't know where you come up with this stuff. One of my best friends is a Thai girl (woman) from South Thailand and when she visits BKK we go out together alone. We have been friends 5+ years and talk regularly. She has never had a romantic interest in me and I have never been interested in her in that way. She has a long term BF and I'm married. I have another female Thai friend I met at my martial arts class 4 years ago. We have remained friends since and go out to eat and chill together sometimes. She is now friends with my wife also.

A sort of true, that "ordinary Thai" woman are trying to avoid to be alone in a room with only one man.You wrote that your friend never had a "romantic" interest in you....and so on.

When you go out with your best Thai friend, you'll sit in a cab or hang out in clubs where you won't be alone.

I've had a rough time at my school, as my American female colleague always came with me to have a coffee in our free time in my house on campus. That went on for a while until one teacher approached me just to let me know that this would be against Thai culture.

I really disagreed with their point of view and continued doing so. Finally they got the message that we haven't had a sexual relationship. But that's what they think when a man and a woman are staying in a room/house alone. It's a different culture.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Its possible but not very healthy when you're in a relationship with a thai girl.

Thai girls usually do not do well with the "female friends" concept.

Even the most self-confident ones don't like unwanted attention on their bf's. Who does?

But then again it all depends on how you hold yourself in front of other women. If you can appear friendly yet platonic to other girls in front of your gf then you might have her trust. Advances will be made and girls have a special radar detector for that so learn to maneuver the hazards.

I would actually be more concerned if my gf had no jealousy whatsoever as it often indicates a lack of emotional commitment or that they're straying.

Navigate at your own peril and good luck with the balancing act.

Edited by smileydude
  • Like 2

A sort of true, that "ordinary Thai" woman are trying to avoid to be alone in a room with only one man.You wrote that your friend never had a "romantic" interest in you....and so on.

When you go out with your best Thai friend, you'll sit in a cab or hang out in clubs where you won't be alone.

I've had a rough time at my school, as my American female colleague always came with me to have a coffee in our free time in my house on campus. That went on for a while until one teacher approached me just to let me know that this would be against Thai culture.

I really disagreed with their point of view and continued doing so. Finally they got the message that we haven't had a sexual relationship. But that's what they think when a man and a woman are staying in a room/house alone. It's a different culture.-wai2.gif

That is strange. Just because you hung-out together it's immediately assume that you MUST be having sex. What's that all about?

I went to Koa Samet with the same girlfriend I mentioned earlier with her brother. When ever I was alone with her brother he would suddenly wonder off even if I was talking to him or whatever. It really started to bother me because he seemed like a nice kid, we always got along and suddenly he wouldn't even acknowledge my existence unless she was around. I finally asked her "what with your brother?" She finally explained to me that if anyone saw us together alone they would immediately think that I was a pedophile and he was my young boy partner.

I just thought GREAT! so I can't even socialize with my girlfriend's brother because EVERYONE else would assume that we were sexually engaged. Has the world come to this?

That is strange. Just because you hung-out together it's immediately assume that you MUST be having sex. What's that all about?

I went to Koa Samet with the same girlfriend I mentioned earlier with her brother. When ever I was alone with her brother he would suddenly wonder off even if I was talking to him or whatever. It really started to bother me because he seemed like a nice kid, we always got along and suddenly he wouldn't even acknowledge my existence unless she was around. I finally asked her "what with your brother?" She finally explained to me that if anyone saw us together alone they would immediately think that I was a pedophile and he was my young boy partner.

I just thought GREAT! so I can't even socialize with my girlfriend's brother because EVERYONE else would assume that we were sexually engaged. Has the world come to this?

It's indeed strange. As others have already pointed out, male Thais are raised to think they're allowed to do all they want with a girl if she follows him to his room/house/ apartment.

I know of two girls who got raped, but didn't go to the cops, nor did they mention that to their relatives. It's similar to the procedure(s) in Europe, when a women has to come up with details why and how that happened.(Intoxicated, teasing him... him, etc.......)

So if the guy would say that she followed him, jut because she wanted to have sex with him, the chances would be pretty slim to go through the instance of reporting it at the cops.

The guy would only have pay some good money and in the end the girl was the one who had "molested" the guy.Cops would change the report in favor of the person paying more money.

So, please guys, be careful out there, that you won't get raped by a stunning girl....It's strange, but true.-coffee1.gif

Its possible but not very healthy when you're in a relationship with a thai girl.

Thai girls usually do not do well with the "female friends" concept.

Even the most self-confident ones don't like unwanted attention on their bf's. Who does?

But then again it all depends on how you hold yourself in front of other women. If you can appear friendly yet platonic to other girls in front of your gf then you might have her trust. Advances will be made and girls have a special radar detector for that so learn to maneuver the hazards.

I would actually be more concerned if my gf had no jealousy whatsoever as it often indicates a lack of emotional commitment or that they're straying.

Navigate at your own peril and good luck with the balancing act.

Actually that's pretty accurate. I think Thai girls tend to be more suspicious that you may have an alternative agenda if you befriend another female. They simply cannot see that you may be totally platonic in your friendship.

• Like 1

"It's indeed strange. As others have already pointed out, male Thais are raised to think they're allowed to do all they want with a girl if she follows him to his room/house/ apartment.

I know of two girls who got raped, but didn't go to the cops, nor did they mention that to their relatives. It's similar to the procedure(s) in Europe, when a women has to come up with details why and how that happened.(Intoxicated, teasing him... him, etc.......)

So if the guy would say that she followed him, jut because she wanted to have sex with him, the chances would be pretty slim to go through the instance of reporting it at the cops.

The guy would only have pay some good money and in the end the girl was the one who had "molested" the guy.Cops would change the report in favor of the person paying more money.

So, please guys, be careful out there, that you won't get raped by a stunning girl....It's strange, but true.-coffee1.gif"

Quote above.

If I was ever raped by a beautiful Thai woman I think I would just learn to live with the PAIN. Of coarse I'd probably relive the experience in my mind for years. Unfortunately that has never happened to me so I'll just have to imagine.

Edited by TimTang

Ah, yes, understand. Wife said forget it to having any Thai female friends. Our having traveled to Faranglands, she understands and accepts that I have and continue to have Farang female friends. No problem....but forget having Thai female friends! Somehow, I do not find insulting the idea that I am just a man and Thai females might find me attractive!

Exactly. Male-female friendships are normal in Thailand, but always as part of a social group, and the "just friends" would not go out one on one. (For that matter, Thais like hanging out in large groups, and don't often go one on one even with same sex friends).

most of my thai friends are female.

it is possible.

there is always flirtation, and i have slept with a number of them all of whom remain good freinds after the fact.

Anyone one who spouts truisms like "Thai girls won't be alone with a guy unless happy to do the bed thing." is either spouting nonsense or trapped in 1982 or earlier.

I have a lot more Thai female friends here than I did Scottish female friends. I think it depends where you meet them.

I have never slept with any of them as I am married.

This is totally false. My girlfriend has introduced me to many gals (albeit 40 ish). I am surrounded by these gals. They are the working class of Thailand (nurses, small business owners, hotel owners/managers). We are invited almost weekly to parties and events. Never have seen the likes of this in my own Country...nor for the 30 odd years I spent in the Philippines. We are always treated as honored guests and I talk to them on the phone daily, whenever they call my gal.

You just got in with the wrong people....sorry to say

Might be good for some here to read this: http://www.thailandguru.com/thai-girlfriend-relationships.html

No. No No. The worst thing you can do is pickup a book from some self-proclaimed expert on Thai Civilization. You definitely will find yourself disadvantaged.....afraid of relationships, stepping on shoes, being a cultural idiot , ect.

The worst part is ... the writer gets rich, and you get dumber. Most of these experts never even left their hotel/favorite western restaurant...or (God Forbid)...Pattaya.

I refuse to be a sucker. The Thai people are more like us than not.

Women friends?? Why humanize the enemy?? Why would men want to be friends with women?? I can proudly say that Have zero female friends. Women have a very specific purpose in my life.

Women are dreamwreckers. I keep them at a distance. I am surprised that men still protect women even after all the crap that women do to screw up a man's life. I guess some men neverlearn.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Friendzone alert, my god no-one here got game? It works with all females and you don't gotta bang 'em to enjoy it. Flirt, charm, entice, tease, seduce. Enjoy women for what they are, emotional beings who want stimulation and fun. Ye gods you can be friends AND enjoy the banter/sexual tension, live a little.

The beta males here hear it daily: "Let's just be friends!"

And, being trained in equality and respect to women, they subserviently comply.

Real men have real male friends and don't care to be "just friends" to women.