Civil Court finds Supodh guilty of being 'unusually rich'

webfact

Bad day for the reds. This guy was supposed to be exonerated and compensated by the Thaksin amnesty bill for the inconvenience he suffered by those pesky law enforcement officers and nosy journalists. My heart bleeds for him!

I often wonder why people post explicit lies. Is it intended to mislead? Is it because they are ignorant?

And I also wonder why people are so quick to hit the like button, even when it is obvious the statement is incorrect.

This has nothing to do with the Reds.

The man started his civil service career in 1977. There was no Thaksin in 1977.

Who appointed him to his last major position?

Here's a hint, who was the PM when the man was the SRT Director? The name starts with an A.

Do you feel ignorant now?

Just who is ignorant? Do I remember correctly that the PTP only a couple of months ago tried to ram through a bill that would exonerate ANY POLITICIAN that was found to be corrupt, or committed any other crime at all for that matter? The PTP run by a criminal in exile abroad tried to legalize and legitimize corrupt activities, as well as attempting to allow the corrupt elite to seek compensation and remuneration for having been charged over their theiving. You may have missed this legalize corruption bill, rumor has it that it was rammed through at 4.30am or some secretive ungodly time.

I ask again, who is feeling ignorant?

• Like 1

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a lot of idiots on here trying to make this into a political party bash, it has nothing to do with politics.

He was a civil servant not a politician and had worked his way up through the ranks of the ministry, no doubt learning all the best corrupt tricks on the way.

His wealth would have been extorted from contractors and others who had to pay to get work from the ministry, on roads and other projects.

Remember the quoted 30 to 40 and sometimes 50% kickbacks that we are told need to be paid to get Govt work.

Where do you think that would go ? Yea shared out with a fair lump going to the minister.

That's why I suspected it wasn't his money he had at home but the corruption money that hadn't at that time been divided up.

Think about it, the percentage is paid to one person behind a desk, is that person going to keep it all ? no way it would be spread around with the biggest lump going up, and someone has to do the spreading, Right ?

No doubt his boss in the ministry would be even worse and if you went through the whole ministry from top to bottom they would all be in on it.

• Like 2

Its only that unique brand of Thainess. Money tallks, criminals walk!

Unique?

Have you been away from your desk during the recent world-wide economic and financial meltdown and the decades of rampant incompetence & corruption that set the stage for it? The only punishment meted out to the "criminals" who orchestrated that has been a temporary dip in their ludicrous salaries and bonuses.

If you really think corruption, greed and the use of influence to avoid prosecution is unique to Thailand, that's one heck of a bubble you're living in.

Another Thaksin man found guilty.

This is exactly why Bangkok should be shutdown.

To remove Thaksin.

No Thaksin, no corruption.

Sorry, but a little naive. Corruption lies at every level of Government and corruption in Thailand actually fell to its lowest in decades whilst Thaksin was in power and rose again AFTER the coup once the Democrats came into power. Just look at Suthep's less than clean track record on wikipeadia (and that's just a few of his scandals) - and these all so 'intelligent' southerners (as opposed to the apparently simple northerners) want to give HIM absolute power.

Defending himself, Supodh presented six relatives who claimed that some of the assets frozen by the NACC belonged to them. Supodh also claimed that he had already owned most of the assets before he took the position of permanent secretary for the Transport Ministry. The six relatives are Narumol Saplom, Sutthiwan Saplom, Chalee Chaimongkol, Anek Jongsathien, Suebpong Prapyai, and Sutthawan Prapyai.

...and klauskunkel...

Bad day for the reds. This guy was supposed to be exonerated and compensated by the Thaksin amnesty bill for the inconvenience he suffered by those pesky law enforcement officers and nosy journalists. My heart bleeds for him!

I often wonder why people post explicit lies. Is it intended to mislead? Is it because they are ignorant?

And I also wonder why people are so quick to hit the like button, even when it is obvious the statement is incorrect.

This has nothing to do with the Reds.

The man started his civil service career in 1977. There was no Thaksin in 1977.

Who appointed him to his last major position?

Here's a hint, who was the PM when the man was the SRT Director? The name starts with an A.

Do you feel ignorant now?

Just who is ignorant? Do I remember correctly that the PTP only a couple of months ago tried to ram through a bill that would exonerate ANY POLITICIAN that was found to be corrupt, or committed any other crime at all for that matter? The PTP run by a criminal in exile abroad tried to legalize and legitimize corrupt activities, as well as attempting to allow the corrupt elite to seek compensation and remuneration for having been charged over their theiving. You may have missed this legalize corruption bill, rumor has it that it was rammed through at 4.30am or some secretive ungodly time.

I ask again, who is feeling ignorant?

The point is he's a civil servant NOT a politician. Nothing to do with the 'reds'.

To remove Thaksin.

Sorry, but a little naive. Corruption lies at every level of Government and corruption in Thailand actually fell to its lowest in decades whilst Thaksin was in power and rose again AFTER the coup once the Democrats came into power. Just look at Suthep's less than clean track record on wikipeadia (and that's just a few of his scandals) - and these all so 'intelligent' southerners (as opposed to the apparently simple northerners) want to give HIM absolute power.

The "perception" of corruption fell, not actual corruption.

Narumol Saplom, Sutthiwan Saplom, Chalee Chaimongkol, Anek Jongsathien, Suebpong Prapyai, and Sutthawan Prapyai would like to express their thanks to k.Tarit for making their false testimony legal (if only temporarily).

You lost your soul.

Send from my Mobile

Supoth (/Supodh/Supoj) started in the ministry in 1977. Anyone that thinks he started being corrupt when he was appointed Permanent Secretary really doesn't understand how corruption works here. All ministry permanent secretaries (and other heads of civil service departments ie police) and deputies are corrupt in some way. That's the only way they got there. And that is regardless of who was in power when they were appointed.

• Like 2

Supoth (/Supodh/Supoj) started in the ministry in 1977. Anyone that thinks he started being corrupt when he was appointed Permanent Secretary really doesn't understand how corruption works here. All ministry permanent secretaries (and other heads of civil service departments ie police) and deputies are corrupt in some way. That's the only way they got there. And that is regardless of who was in power when they were appointed.

Not just civil service departments either. There have been a large number of deals myself and others have had to walk away from over the years.

Some might say it's become cultural here, but the foreign anti-corruption legislation passed by the us, uk, germany, australia and others has made it too legally dangerous when you work internationally.

And that's a good thing.

Incidentally after this revelation in 2011, the japanese foreign investment loan was suspended for the bts extension from moe chit. The transport ministry had to borrow the money at a much higher rate from local banks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Does it really matter.. he was caught and hopefully many more follow. I would not loose an nights of sleep.. actually i would go out and celebrate if ALL Thai corrupt politicians are caught. That is why we need stronger laws and a body that really goes after them. Not only after their political enemy of the time. I dislike Suthep but his idea of no statue of limitations on corruption is a great idea.

It is opposed by YL as it would mean her brother is toast as all those cases he has against him wont go away. That is corruption thinking about your family before the country. Not to mention the rice scam where it now shows that a close trustee of Taksin was the one that could do the G2G deals and then pocketed money for the PTP and Taksin (see the movies about how it is done in an other topic) As YL chaired this program she should go to jail and be banned from politics. If they can get Suthep on some shady deals please do so any other politician please. But it seems the reds really want to excuse corruption with an everyone does it so don't go after Yinluck its politically motivated.

To counter corruption it would be nice if there was an institute filled with the current opposition that could investigate the current government. Then the current government of the day would stay in line. Now here in Thailand the moment there is a new government they take over all the good positions to make sure nobody will prosecute them. By having an organisation of their opponents that would not happen.

The only way for Thailand to go forward is to combat corruption, because if being in politics is less profitable crooks will stay out.

• Like 1

I have come to reallly appreciate judicial system in Thailand - unlike any other in a democratic country. The court finds that it is "irregular" for Spuodh to have so much wealth and, thus, guilty of being "unusually rich." But it has no evidence or probable cause that his wealth was from any criminal activity. Maybe he is lucky at gambling. On the other hand the Court rejects any offered testimony from witnesses presented by Supodh because "their testimonies did not carry enough weight without strong evidence." If the prosecution doesn't produce any evidence, why does the defense have to produce any evidence? This sounds like a "guilty until proven innocent." Clearly not a judicial concept in a democratic society.

I have come to reallly appreciate judicial system in Thailand - unlike any other in a democratic country. The court finds that it is "irregular" for Spuodh to have so much wealth and, thus, guilty of being "unusually rich." But it has no evidence or probable cause that his wealth was from any criminal activity. Maybe he is lucky at gambling. On the other hand the Court rejects any offered testimony from witnesses presented by Supodh because "their testimonies did not carry enough weight without strong evidence." If the prosecution doesn't produce any evidence, why does the defense have to produce any evidence? This sounds like a "guilty until proven innocent." Clearly not a judicial concept in a democratic society.

Its called reverse burdon of proof. It happens in the Netherlands too in (some) tax fraud cases. Not that strange a thing. I think if you would look on you would discover that this is used in other countries too. Especially in financial cases where someone gets loads of unexplained money.

Does it really matter which government placed him in this position, they are all as bad as each other. Good news is that he has been found guilty and maybe this sets a precedence to go after others. The level of corruption in this country is killing it.

It does matter!

This is one of many cases PT has been exposing, and taking all manner of political flak for exposing too. Why do you think they scuppered the bonds for the rice scheme? Why do you think they block the high speed train project?

It's petty revenge for exposing these crooks!

PT didn't expose anything in this case, it was the other thieves who did it.

Besides that I'm all ears to hear about all those other cases of corruption PTP has exposed.

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. This is just one step of a 100,000 step journey.

Both sides are corrupt. Nobody should get caught up in who's side he was on. The laws are there

they just need to be enforced. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Does it really matter.. he was caught and hopefully many more follow. I would not loose an nights of sleep.. actually i would go out and celebrate if ALL Thai corrupt politicians are caught. That is why we need stronger laws and a body that really goes after them. Not only after their political enemy of the time. I dislike Suthep but his idea of no statue of limitations on corruption is a great idea.

It is opposed by YL as it would mean her brother is toast as all those cases he has against him wont go away. That is corruption thinking about your family before the country. Not to mention the rice scam where it now shows that a close trustee of Taksin was the one that could do the G2G deals and then pocketed money for the PTP and Taksin (see the movies about how it is done in an other topic) As YL chaired this program she should go to jail and be banned from politics. If they can get Suthep on some shady deals please do so any other politician please. But it seems the reds really want to excuse corruption with an everyone does it so don't go after Yinluck its politically motivated.

To counter corruption it would be nice if there was an institute filled with the current opposition that could investigate the current government. Then the current government of the day would stay in line. Now here in Thailand the moment there is a new government they take over all the good positions to make sure nobody will prosecute them. By having an organisation of their opponents that would not happen.

The only way for Thailand to go forward is to combat corruption, because if being in politics is less profitable crooks will stay out.

Ya, nail

1. Bribes payers. The figure of 40-50% does not drop from the. sky. These payers know each other and the intense competition drove up the paying. Countries that top BPI are those developed countries and those who preach anti-corruption.

2. Those who threatens other to receive bribes. They will pay you as what they called 'transactions money'. If you don't take it, your business, or position or job or your members of family will be miserable.

3. Those who ask bribe money. They also called it transactions mony. Some called it barter and some call it convenient money and most politicians called it 'paving the way'

4. Those who are tempted to ask and/or receive bribes due to circumstances of their lives.

They are many avenues for people to complain but corruption cases are hard to expose because:

1. It involved powerful people, underground and powerful business. They have the capacity to sue you and/or threaten your lives.

2. Evidence is hard to gather.

3. It gone public almost immediately it was discovered.

4. Individual/group are afraid of being used as a political tool.

Send from my Mobile

To remove Thaksin.

Another squeaky clean Pheu Thai member.

He got his job as permanent secretary for transport in 2009 under Abhisit - tho it was rumoured to be PJT who secured him the position. He was caught in Nov 2011. So what makes you think he was a 'Pheu Thai' member?

look at the muppet who wrongly assumed he was hired by thaksin.

bigbamboo, on 31 Jan 2014 - 17:34, said:

Why pick on him?

They didn't pick on him.

He was in the unfortunate position of having his house burgled and forgetting to put away the 18 million baht that the thieves got before he went out.

Seemed to be no sympathy from the BiB. Tea money must have been in the 18 million stolen.....................rolleyes.gif

bigbamboo, on 31 Jan 2014 - 17:34, said:

Why pick on him?

They didn't pick on him.

He was in the unfortunate position of having his house burgled and forgetting to put away the 18 million baht that the thieves got before he went out.

Seemed to be no sympathy from the BiB. Tea money must have been in the 18 million stolen.....................rolleyes.gif

One of the rumours at the time was that so much had collected and not been distributed by him because as soon as he saw who was likely to win the election, he stopped paying upwards. Just in case the new minister wanted a slice.

All rumour, but it's an explanation why the thieves knew to target his house. And why so little was recovered.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this the same guy who's house was burgled a few years back and 20 million baht stolen from under the mattress?

Yes. It will be interesting to see if he appeals and the whole matter & judgement quietly disappears. Of course another modus operandi is to transfer his funds (mysteriously unfrozen) & move overseas the until the Statute of Limitations kicks in