Jimmy Page

whitethai

I say go and ask him Whitethai. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. He's a big rock star and well used to being approached by strangers. Lets' face it, it's fans like us that bought his records and went to his concerts & made him the multimillionnaire he is today (unless he's blown it all on drugs, booze and groupies). He's staying at the Marriott. I bet you'll find him down by the pool posing in his speedos. Ask him to join you in a jam of Stairway to Heaven; that's his favourite. Good luck.

• Like 2

My point is:

credit where credit is due,

acknowledgment where acknowledgment is due,

royalties where royalties are due.

An example would be Led's track 'Black mountain side' credited to Page. He stole the complete arrangement from Bert Jansch's 'Black water side' and pocketed all the royalties and gave no acknowledgment to Bert, a contemporary of his.

We all have influences but ripoffs are ripoffs.

Quite a few great musicians holiday or live here, some visit the Blues Factory and jam for free. The last time I went there I met Len Tuckey, Suzie Quatro's lead guitar player and ex-husband. Len was originally with the Nashville Teens, who had a hit with the classic "Tobacco Road" (1964) which was a top 10 UK hit and a top 20 hit in the United States. Lam Morrison (King of Guitar) who plays there, I think, plays Stairway to Heaven better then Jimmy Page.

• Like 1

Jimmy Page?

A stealer of songs.

I suppose that one could make that claim against virtually every white rock and roller to come out of the sixties. Many, if not most took old blues standards and made them their own, not to steal but because of their love for the blues. That, in turn, turned on many white kids, like me to the blues. And that music got us buying those blues records, which turned the lives and careers around of many of those great bluesmen who were playing in relative obscurity for peanuts.

And I can still remember the first time I listened to Led Zepplin's first album. Without the blues there would be no Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Allman Brothers - the list goes on and on. The evolution of music. Absolutely amazing stuff - all.

So yes, I must politely disagree with your premise.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My point is:

credit where credit is due,

acknowledgment where acknowledgment is due,

royalties where royalties are due.

An example would be Led's track 'Black mountain side' credited to Page. He stole the complete arrangement from Bert Jansch's 'Black water side' and pocketed all the royalties and gave no acknowledgment to Bert, a contemporary of his.

We all have influences but ripoffs are ripoffs.

In that the song originated as an old folk song that, like Page, Jansch crafted with his own arrangement, I am not so sure I agree with you on the stealing of royalties, in this instance at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mountain_Side

Bert Jansch was a great acoustic guitar player and many players have benefited from his influence, including me. One who acknowledged that influence was Neil Young. Bert, who wasn't in the best of circumstances was invited by Neil to open for him at a few North American gigs early last year, as a way of giving Bert some belated wider recognition, and a bit of cash. Neil never copied any of Bert's songs but felt the need to credit him with influence in his formative years.

Page failed to acknowledge Bert on 'Black Mountain Side' from whom he had copied the arrangement of the song completely. The only thing that Page did was alter the title, and then had the cheek to call it his own.

As I said, influences are one thing, ripoffs are something else.

I agree with you that it was less than classy for Zepplin to not even acknowledge the roots and the source of the song. That also short changed the listeners, and this, at that time, 20 year old kid who was reading the album liner notes from this new band while being absolutely knocked out by what I was hearing. I logically thought the song began and ended with Page.

Not that it means a whit, but I do wonder if that was a management/marketing decision as opposed to one that Mr. Page made on his own.

Thanks for enlightening me on the source of that great song.

Led's recently did a Celebration Concert with the late John Henry Bonham's son

and I can tell you for 70 year olds the music was note perfect and just as complex as it ever was

Of course the youth was missing but the music still had it.

Jason the drummer did an exceptional job in keeping up with these seasoned muso's

• Like 1

Quite a few great musicians holiday or live here, some visit the Blues Factory and jam for free. The last time I went there I met Len Tuckey, Suzie Quatro's lead guitar player and ex-husband. Len was originally with the Nashville Teens, who had a hit with the classic "Tobacco Road" (1964) which was a top 10 UK hit and a top 20 hit in the United States. Lam Morrison (King of Guitar) who plays there, I think, plays Stairway to Heaven better then Jimmy Page.

Very nice guy is Lenny.

Played many a game of pool with him. Unassuming guy who speaks well of everyone in the business..a gentleman

• Like 1

.... but all the same he is just another bloke on holiday and deserves having his privacy respected.

Some would say that by choosing to become a celebrity you waive your right to much in the way of privacy when you are out and about in public. This is probably why most big celebrities spend their free time in places that are significantly more secluded and up-market than the Pattaya Marriot.

I'm sure Thailand is frequented by loads of famous people all the time.

Who really gives a rats ass? Go and buy yourself a copy of The Sun <deleted>, lol.

Any real topics today? Yellows, Olympics, trucks with massive speakers driving through the soi constantly blasting out Isaan techno and promoting some corrupt politician.....

Jimmy Page does not live here, he is/was only here for a few weeks holiday, Spent more time in Pattaya this trip as he stayed away from Bangkok due to the protests there. A gentleman and great to speak with. Some of his new work will be coming out in March this year. Go Jimmy. thumbsup.gif

I know one or two guys who can bang out a good version of the Zep classic and a few more who think they can!

Always reminds of that line...... "I could play Stairway To Heaven by the time I was seventeen, Jimmy Page didn't even write it until he was twenty five." smile.png

Once I went to the Blues Factory and it was great as always - Lam at his best and others. Suddenly one of the musicians asked Ian to join them. A gray haired man sipping beer almost next to me stood up and joined the band. Only when he started to sing, I realised this was Ian Gillan. Blues Factory is indeed a great place for all fans of rock and blues.

A number of libellous posts and quoted replies removed.

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

I see no reason to keep this topic open now it seems Mr Page has returned home

//CLOSED//

• Like 2