Thai opposition under fire for election boycott

webfact

The premise of this article is based on much that is haphazard and inconsistent. The Democratic party is not a monolithic organization, nor do all think alike. The decision to boycott was indeed a unilateral decision, but the decision to vote or not vote is an individual choice. It was not a mistake for the Democrats to boycott this election. In fact it could be argued it was the boycott which set in motion the dilemma the Yingluck administration now finds itself in. There are many that believe - as clearly the writer of this article does - that the Democratic party resists the election because it knows it will lose. Doubtless, many in the party feel that way. But many - including Abhisit, and his statements have been quite consistent with this - does not. He has never advocated for a reform that puts his party - or himself, for that matter - in the driver's seat. He's enough of a pragmatist to realize that will not happen - now or in the foreseeable future. The realities of the electoral map are clear, and no amount of redistribution will change that. The focus has always been on Thaksin. Indeed, many Democrats would likely be far more at peace with a Pheu Thai administration that was absent of Thaksin's influence. Thaksin's influence is what is killing reform, as he has a path which is clearly intended towards the consolidation of his power. So that's the argument that's been lost in the mix. But it hasn't on the men and women on the streets. They are not talking about Abhisit - or Suthep, for that matter. They are talking about Thaksin, and their belief that the system should be free of him. Peace will be achieved in this country by two key sacrifices coming from both parties. If Pheu Thai can truly let go of Thaksin, and the Democratic party can accept the realities of the electoral map, we will have a road map for peace. But to get there is through reform. A reform that does does include amnesties for Thaksin, or consolidates his grip on power.

"In fact it could be argued it was the boycott which set in motion the dilemma the Yingluck administration now finds itself in."

It could be argued that way, but you would be wrong.

That might have been the case if abhisits government hadn't passed the ammendment in 2011 on the organic act for the election of officials. Now the 20% of the vote needed is only relevant to the first two tries at a constituency election. When it comes to the third re run, the candidate with the most votes wins.

So abhisits decision to boycott the election completely makes no tactical sense. If he were so politically savvy he would vote No and try and convince all of his democrat supporters to vote No also. This way they may succeed in getting more No votes than than a real candidate (well in certain constituencies maybe).

Of course, that would , according to the political mastermind himself, legitimise an illegitimate election. Seeing as the Election has been Royally decreed I suggest that he would be on thin ground with that kind of statement in Thailand.

Accept it, abhisit has been outmaneuvered at this stage with the Election going ahead despite his and sutheps and the EC's antics. It is pure hubris driving him now (or he is expecting salvation from the usual quarters).

• Like 1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 possibilities:

a ) Either Abhisit caved in to the pressure from the Leader,

b ) or it's a diversion and he's going to go in disguise ...

c ) or, he's been tipped off that the somebody will take care of "things" afterwards, such that he will not lose his MP eligibility

or...which is the most likely...

d) that this election is already illegal, because there will not be enough MP's to make a quorum and spreading the vote over 20 more bi-elections will be deemed unconstitutional

e) or he is tired of the bullsh*t and just wants to have a nice life, somewhere away from all this insanity

I think it is "d" wai2.gif

If I were in Abhisit's shoes, I'd choose ( e ) .... retire from crazy politics, less stress on the family (poor wife & kids), and take cushy jobs on a few Boards of friendly corporations.

He's probably thinking "I'm a Celebrity, GMooH ......"

If I were Thaksin I would do the same.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

The premise of this article is based on much that is haphazard and inconsistent. The Democratic party is not a monolithic organization, nor do all think alike. The decision to boycott was indeed a unilateral decision, but the decision to vote or not vote is an individual choice. It was not a mistake for the Democrats to boycott this election. In fact it could be argued it was the boycott which set in motion the dilemma the Yingluck administration now finds itself in. There are many that believe - as clearly the writer of this article does - that the Democratic party resists the election because it knows it will lose. Doubtless, many in the party feel that way. But many - including Abhisit, and his statements have been quite consistent with this - does not. He has never advocated for a reform that puts his party - or himself, for that matter - in the driver's seat. He's enough of a pragmatist to realize that will not happen - now or in the foreseeable future. The realities of the electoral map are clear, and no amount of redistribution will change that. The focus has always been on Thaksin. Indeed, many Democrats would likely be far more at peace with a Pheu Thai administration that was absent of Thaksin's influence. Thaksin's influence is what is killing reform, as he has a path which is clearly intended towards the consolidation of his power. So that's the argument that's been lost in the mix. But it hasn't on the men and women on the streets. They are not talking about Abhisit - or Suthep, for that matter. They are talking about Thaksin, and their belief that the system should be free of him. Peace will be achieved in this country by two key sacrifices coming from both parties. If Pheu Thai can truly let go of Thaksin, and the Democratic party can accept the realities of the electoral map, we will have a road map for peace. But to get there is through reform. A reform that does does include amnesties for Thaksin, or consolidates his grip on power.

"In fact it could be argued it was the boycott which set in motion the dilemma the Yingluck administration now finds itself in."

It could be argued that way, but you would be wrong.

That might have been the case if abhisits government hadn't passed the ammendment in 2011 on the organic act for the election of officials. Now the 20% of the vote needed is only relevant to the first two tries at a constituency election. When it comes to the third re run, the candidate with the most votes wins.

So abhisits decision to boycott the election completely makes no tactical sense. If he were so politically savvy he would vote No and try and convince all of his democrat supporters to vote No also. This way they may succeed in getting more No votes than than a real candidate (well in certain constituencies maybe).

Of course, that would , according to the political mastermind himself, legitimise an illegitimate election. Seeing as the Election has been Royally decreed I suggest that he would be on thin ground with that kind of statement in Thailand.

Accept it, abhisit has been outmaneuvered at this stage with the Election going ahead despite his and sutheps and the EC's antics. It is pure hubris driving him now (or he is expecting salvation from the usual quarters).

I suspect Abhisit is quite content with this road map, the election will be nullified on the basis of a hundred reasons, Taksin now has to pay out to his voters for a victory that will be hollow and will have achieved nothing. So, the post election manoeuvrings will be key. If the Shins can be taken down quickly then the reconfiguration of Thai politics would follow and some sort of governance put in place. As Taksin is not likely to go quietly its just as likely to drag on for months.

• Like 2

That confuses me as that means he can not run for political office again for 5 years. Also applies to the other democrats which makes this virtually a one party system.

There is a senate poll coming, if he vote there he is back in the game. I dont think it is a 5 year thing for not voting.

• Like 1

That confuses me as that means he can not run for political office again for 5 years. Also applies to the other democrats which makes this virtually a one party system.

No, it doesn't mean. The election will almost certainly be declared null and void. Deservedly so. I can see why Democrats don't want to participate. They simply do not want to give any legitimacy to the current government in charge. They want Yingluck's government to take the full responsibility for rice-scheme scam, tablets scam etc...etc....

Sorry you confuse me. You write "They want Yingluck's government to take the full responsibility for rice-scheme scam, tablets scam". I thought it's all about her brother running the show here as a shadow PM. Does your statement mean the rice scheme story is more powerful than the previous allegations?

Just political bla bla.

AFP again!

We all know the "AFP" is financially supported by Thaksin!

Interesting statement that you can't prove. But also interesting because it shows an attitude in today's time: "when something happen that I don't understand, can't explain or disagree - it must be the devil (Thaksin, Suthep, Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pinochet, Mubarak, Bashar Assad, Sadam Hussein etc etc ....)".

Pretty short and simple minded that is hardly suitable for a dialogue to end this drama.

• Like 1

There is a senate poll coming, if he vote there he is back in the game. I dont think it is a 5 year thing for not voting.

I hope the court recognise that. It allows them to rule the vote valid without disenfranchising the southern democrats.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stronger chart thai pattani and other parties, but the democrats subtle support of blocking voting threatens to remove the voice of southern provinces - and everyone's voice should be heard.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, it doesn't mean. The election will almost certainly be declared null and void. Deservedly so. I can see why Democrats don't want to participate. They simply do not want to give any legitimacy to the current government in charge. They want Yingluck's government to take the full responsibility for rice-scheme scam, tablets scam etc...etc....

Sorry you confuse me. You write "They want Yingluck's government to take the full responsibility for rice-scheme scam, tablets scam". I thought it's all about her brother running the show here as a shadow PM. Does your statement mean the rice scheme story is more powerful than the previous allegations?

Just political bla bla.

WELL. as the schemes mentioned were all the idea of the PM...sorry Thaksin it kinda makes sense..as Yinglucks government is Thaksins government..

• Like 1

I hope the court recognise that. It allows them to rule the vote valid without disenfranchising the southern democrats.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stronger chart thai pattani and other parties, but the democrats subtle support of blocking voting threatens to remove the voice of southern provinces - and everyone's voice should be heard.

Who's the owner of Chart thai pattani?

AFP again!

Interesting statement that you can't prove. But also interesting because it shows an attitude in today's time: "when something happen that I don't understand, can't explain or disagree - it must be the devil (Thaksin, Suthep, Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pinochet, Mubarak, Bashar Assad, Sadam Hussein etc etc ....)".

Pretty short and simple minded that is hardly suitable for a dialogue to end this drama.

Don't forget the "devil" which is the worst of them all - F a r a n g s . . . . ;-)

I don't understand why the Dems don't use the election to show the level of support for political reform and put an end to this once and for all. At the last election they were only outvoted by a ratio of 4:3 and since then their stock has risen whilst PTs has fallen.

Unless Sooty knows something we don't.

He knows that the judges of the constitutional court were appointed by an only 50% elected senate.

When you already have 50% it's not hard to find one or two more to do your bidding.

I fully expect even though voting proceeds normally in 66 out of 78 provinces - the court will deny the will of the majority in favour of their masters.

For the CC to deny the will of the majority would be a step too far. The majority will not accept it.

• Like 2

I am not a great fan of boycotts, you need to be in the action ,not on the outside looking in, the democrats do a disservice to the good People of Thailand, they need to be there now to show the way ,not parade out and about, wringing there hands and protesting about unfairness, it is also unfair to boycott and not democratic, your followers must be very disappointed, I know I am Abhisit.bah.gif

• Like 2

The dye is cast, The powers that be must understand the politics of old is gone,The people will not stand by and let the courts, not respect the will of the VAST majority of Thai voters!

Dream on!

I'm sure you meant the die is cast. In response to that, hold your horses.

Cheers!

"For the country, the elections could not solve the problems and conflicts that we are facing," Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva told AFP.

Maybe Abhisit should retire from politics if he doesn't even know that elections are not a magic wand for solving problems.

Elections are held or a new leader to be chosen, who may then solve problems through reforms and other means. If you don't like what that leader does, you can vote against him in the next election and if the majority of other people do that as well, the leader will be gone.

That is Democracy. Again, Mr. Abhisit ...it's not a magic wand that resolves problems and conflicts.

I don't understand why the Dems don't use the election to show the level of support for political reform and put an end to this once and for all. At the last election they were only outvoted by a ratio of 4:3 and since then their stock has risen whilst PTs has fallen.

Unless Sooty knows something we don't.

He knows that the judges of the constitutional court were appointed by an only 50% elected senate.

When you already have 50% it's not hard to find one or two more to do your bidding.

I fully expect even though voting proceeds normally in 66 out of 78 provinces - the court will deny the will of the majority in favour of their masters.

For the CC to deny the will of the majority would be a step too far. The majority will not accept it.

This is obviously assuming that the non elected senate members are all Democrat supporters... Are they?

And there we go again, Danny the Rook(y) comes up with that old and nevertheless useless lore about the Dem's not winning any elections since God created the world...

Can somebody please, please tell him, that - except for two out of the last 20 elections - no party ever won the absolute majority? There have always been coalition governments in Thailand, that is the rule.

He should pay back his salary for writing such crap!

Winning an election in a multi party democracy doesn't mean a party gained a majority of seats, it just means the winner gained the most seats. The higher the number of parties, the less likely it becomes that one party gains a majority.

3 possibilities:

a ) Either Abhisit caved in to the pressure from the Leader,

b ) or it's a diversion and he's going to go in disguise ...

c ) or, he's been tipped off that the somebody will take care of "things" afterwards, such that he will not lose his MP eligibility

or...which is the most likely...

d) that this election is already illegal, because there will not be enough MP's to make a quorum and spreading the vote over 20 more bi-elections will be deemed unconstitutional

e) or he is tired of the bullsh*t and just wants to have a nice life, somewhere away from all this insanity

I think it is "d" wai2.gif

I think he's scared to get a traitor treatment ... fair enough ...

AFP again!

When did Thaksin start financially supporting France?

Are you aware that the AFP is a French government chartered public corporation? I have to question the sanity of someone who makes crazy claims.

• Like 2

ozzy.. are you sure about this statement? Which parties are you talking about?

"which is that Thaksin-affiliated parties have rendered coalitions largely unnecessary."

There have been a few other, old parties, that Taksin bought up soon after the January (?) 2001 election, with some being obvious from the beginning, like the New Aspiration (?) of Chavalit Yongchaiyuth. A couple of other small scale parties joined after the election. For obvious reasons each party is eager to joing the government, because then they get access to the big money the government can spend. But except for Chavalit and his buddies the other parties did not announce beforehand, that they would join TRT.

All those former parties eventually were merged into the TRT and seized to exist as independent parties. At best they were allowed to be a faction within "the party".

although I would rather see all the Shinawatra's burn, not in Hell, but in Bangkok, I really think the Dem's should have gone to this election.

now they had a chance to steal away the farmers votes from this repulsive family, and by giving some assistance to others in the rural areas, the might with the help of some middle parties, won these elections..

And there we go again, Danny the Rook(y) comes up with that old and nevertheless useless lore about the Dem's not winning any elections since God created the world...

Can somebody please, please tell him, that - except for two out of the last 20 elections - no party ever won the absolute majority? There have always been coalition governments in Thailand, that is the rule.

Uhh, did you read this part?

"The party is turning away from democracy," said Pavin Chachavalpongpun, associate professor at the Centre for Southeast Asian Studies at Japan's Kyoto University.The Democrats are "trying to find a short cut" to power, he added, noting that on the several occasions in the past two decades when they did take office it was with the support of the military.

Mis-spelled? There is Banharn Silpa-archa's Chart Thai Pattana party. There even used to be a mighty Chart Thai Party, from which the Chart Pattana Party split off. You see, there are many ways to spell "This is MY party".

I read somewhere, that 53 parties applied this time, but most you will never have heard off before.

ozzy.. are you sure about this statement? Which parties are you talking about?

"which is that Thaksin-affiliated parties have rendered coalitions largely unnecessary."

There have been a few other, old parties, that Taksin bought up soon after the January (?) 2001 election, with some being obvious from the beginning, like the New Aspiration (?) of Chavalit Yongchaiyuth. A couple of other small scale parties joined after the election. For obvious reasons each party is eager to joing the government, because then they get access to the big money the government can spend. But except for Chavalit and his buddies the other parties did not announce beforehand, that they would join TRT.

All those former parties eventually were merged into the TRT and seized to exist as independent parties. At best they were allowed to be a faction within "the party".

The 2010 election in the UK saw the vote split between the Conservative, Labour and LibDem parties. Neither had an overall majority. The LibDems met with both the Conservative and Labour party leaders and chose to side with the Conservatives to for a coalition government.

Coalition government is not unusual in European countries and coming from Muich I'm sure you know that.

Edited by NCFC

Uhh, did you read this part?

"The party is turning away from democracy," said Pavin Chachavalpongpun, associate professor at the Centre for Southeast Asian Studies at Japan's Kyoto University.The Democrats are "trying to find a short cut" to power, he added, noting that on the several occasions in the past two decades when they did take office it was with the support of the military.

Ah, prof. Pawin again, from Kyoto, who is quoted quite often in AFP news.

The Dems are doing, what all others are doing as well, trying to find a short-cut to power.

The military used to be one of the main adversaries of the Dems, until some 15 to 20 years ago, most of them supporting the Chart Thai Party then.

Mis-spelled? There is Banharn Silpa-archa's Chart Thai Pattana party. There even used to be a mighty Chart Thai Party, from which the Chart Pattana Party split off. You see, there are many ways to spell "This is MY party".

I read somewhere, that 53 parties applied this time, but most you will never have heard off before.

And I wonder just how NEW they are!

I remember after the last election Phua Thai members were talking about registering a few new parties .. just in case!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app