Thailand in international headlines

Lite Beer

At least some of these papers were able to be correct with both parties armed and attacking each other. Makes a change that the world is getting a more correct picture than the distortion on here that it is only one lot who are violent in Bangkok this time.

Unfortunately, the lingering perception will be negative.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the international media must really think Suthip is a complete lunatic by now. Last Wednesday he is telling them he supports the elections and will not block or deter anyone from voting, now his thugs are in battles with voters to prevent them voting by any means even if that means death.

well............maybe they dont - maybe they have a balanced correct view. Maybe they see the reason behind the protest and not just the red village green propaganda!! - I see YOU havent got to that stage yet and are still one sided and not open to the TRUTH TODAY!!

How any times to I have to say this, I think Thaksin and his band of merry men are just as equally scum and tarred with exactly the same brush. People still have a right to vote and some scumbag shouldn't take that right away from them as they may not vote for Yingluks crew anyway.

And people also have a right to protest.

An opportunity to truly get to the heart of the conflict here will likely allude international attention, as it yet again seeks to fit a historically complex narrative into a thirty-second soundbite that ill serves its topic.

The op refers to website news.

I think their readers can take more than 30 seconds to understand such a 'historically complex narrative'. rolleyes.gif

Have you ever worked as a press secretary for North Korea?

Edited by rijb

Roadman, on 02 Feb 2014 - 06:21, said:Roadman, on 02 Feb 2014 - 06:21, said:

At least some of these papers were able to be correct with both parties armed and attacking each other. Makes a change that the world is getting a more correct picture than the distortion on here that it is only one lot who are violent in Bangkok this time.

Agree. Now all they have to do is sort out which was defensive and which aggression.

One man's freedom fighter, another man's terrorist. Blah, blah, blah.

True pictures for the outside world are extremely rare, in any situation like this....................sad.png

Edited by chrisinth

Jonathan Head of the BBC had better be more cautious in his comments on the Thai judicial system. His comment this morning that the Thai courts have been notoriously hostile to the government with added inuendo that they are planning a sort of judicial coup are verging on contempt of court and appear to support the Pheua Thai and red shirt position that they don't recognise the authority of the Constitutional Court. He was lucky that the lese majeste case against him a few years ago was dropped. Perhaps he should learn from that. He might not be so lucky next time if he continues to push his luck. Even being an old boy of the same public school as Anand Panyarachun might not help him.

Time for the BBC to replace him with someone with less baggage or just cease its Southeast Asia coverage. It is now such poor quality and so biased that it won't be missed. Pension off Red Jono and screen more programmes about the arts instead please. The programme about DH Lawrence was great.

Aaah. Freedom of speech. Outstanding.

If you don't like his opinion, don't listen to it. B

Jonathan Head of the BBC had better be more cautious in his comments on the Thai judicial system. His comment this morning that the Thai courts have been notoriously hostile to the government with added inuendo that they are planning a sort of judicial coup are verging on contempt of court and appear to support the Pheua Thai and red shirt position that they don't recognise the authority of the Constitutional Court. He was lucky that the lese majeste case against him a few years ago was dropped. Perhaps he should learn from that. He might not be so lucky next time if he continues to push his luck. Even being an old boy of the same public school as Anand Panyarachun might not help him.

Time for the BBC to replace him with someone with less baggage or just cease its Southeast Asia coverage. It is now such poor quality and so biased that it won't be missed. Pension off Red Jono and screen more programmes about the arts instead please. The programme about DH Lawrence was great.

Aaah. Freedom of speech. Outstanding.

If you don't like his opinion, don't listen to it. B

No. I pay to have the BBC come into my living room and I am entitled to receive a quality product, not that biased red shirt crap from him. I am not interested in his opinion. I want the news. If I want a reporter's opinion I can read an opinion piece. If he can't stop himself from inserting his own disgusting opinions into the news, why doesn't he go home and become a dirtbag politician himself.

• Like 1

Please don't tell me that some Thais could be happy at making worldwide headlines over a situation like this.

Yes, Thais are happy with this. They get larked out to see themselves in photos or news especially international news. They have little sense as to positive or negative.

For example, all the Hitler shenanigans .... Thais really seemed like proud children over that fiasco, despite it demonstrating a certain level of cultivated ignorance.

• Like 1

Well the international media must really think Suthip is a complete lunatic by now. Last Wednesday he is telling them he supports the elections and will not block or deter anyone from voting, now his thugs are in battles with voters to prevent them voting by any means even if that means death.

well............maybe they dont - maybe they have a balanced correct view. Maybe they see the reason behind the protest and not just the red village green propaganda!! - I see YOU havent got to that stage yet and are still one sided and not open to the TRUTH TODAY!!

How any times to I have to say this, I think Thaksin and his band of merry men are just as equally scum and tarred with exactly the same brush. People still have a right to vote and some scumbag shouldn't take that right away from them as they may not vote for Yingluks crew anyway.

And people also have a right to protest.

Yes they do and without obstructing the rights of others.

Maybe the plethora of news is the result of managing editors ringing up their stringers in Bangkok's FCCT. Maybe they were inquiring if their correspondents could find the time to write a piece on Thailand and interrupt their drinking at the club.

And what would be the point? There isn't much need for any more biased, shallow, fact-free/opinionated and generally sh*tty reporting. The local rags have got that well covered. And if it is hard-hitting, insightful, analytical, and truthful reporting you want... well... I doubt you will get many reporters jumping at the generous offer to go to jail.

Today there are many blind fools who are demanding their right to vote

But what are they voting for ?

How can you vote for democracy. When their is only 1 party to vote for

Todays vote is for democracy or dictatorship

If today you vote in a government that has no opposition only one party in power it is a dictatorship not democracy

The protestors have learnt

you can good some Thais all of the time

But you can no fool all Thais all of the time

Let me get this straight. So the blind fools, as you call them, are at fault because there is only one party to chose from? Wasn't there a major party (Dems for instance) who in their infinite wisdom decided not to field any candidates?. If there is a blind person out there, I think it might be you.

• Like 1

The west judges the current situation on the assumption that a stable, just, democracy exists. This is not the case. Thus the foreign press incorrect reports the situation, and paints the anti government protestors as the bad guys. The reality is these protestors are middle class, educated and largely non violent people who are fed up with a corrupt and dictorial government.

These "middle class, educated" elites are fed up with not being in charge anymore. Seems most of the people don't care for their style of government, but with the aid of the army and judiciary they somehow think they can get back in power.... again. So much for democracy among the elites.

well, this behaviour is called THAI DEMOCRACY or "bring Thainess to the world"

The PM. + an other, Knew full well it was too soon and therefore knew this would happen, Chaos was called for and she fell for her brothers wishes I would imagine.

This is a smoke screen to cover up the rice scam/irregularities --and a way out of getting a vote in her favour before her government get before the judge.

All emphasis has been put on the vote, blasting out the people have that right. Yes they have but not at a tactical time that suits you and PTP.

I am sure the trick is to throw the ball at the opposition saying it's their fault for disrupting the peoples right---B/S. I saw through this cunning trick as soon as she dissolved parliament.

She is playing a game at the Thai peoples expense, throwing two sides together, then coming out with the same rhetoric, "please people not fight be calm"

Hate this style, smells.

• Like 1

The BBC just showed a lovely report where, the police were actively stopping voters approaching the protesters to stop confrontation.

When the voters did approach the, the stick wielding protesters (all young men) threw stones and generally acted like yobs.

Why are the police stopping people from approaching the polling stations? Sometimes thailand is all ass backwards.

The west judges the current situation on the assumption that a stable, just, democracy exists. This is not the case. Thus the foreign press incorrect reports the situation, and paints the anti government protestors as the bad guys. The reality is these protestors are middle class, educated and largely non violent people who are fed up with a corrupt and dictorial government.

Perhaps the Suthep group's pawns real interests lie with less of their tax dollars going to poor Isaan & more to filthy rich BKK. You don't believe they really care for the poor farmers, do you?

How stable & just is the Thai democracy? 25, 50, 75%? Compared to where, North Korea, Singapore or the USA?

At least Siam has democracy. What does China & Vietnam have?

Is suspending democracy the best or only way to improve it? Does Suthep really want to do that, or is he extremely devious, a compulsive liar & unbelievably corrupt?

Edited by oldthaihand99
  • Like 1

Perhaps the Suthep group's pawns real interests lie with less of their tax dollars going to poor Isaan & more to filthy rich BKK. You don't believe they really care for the poor farmers, do you?

How stable & just is the Thai democracy? 25, 50, 75%? Compared to where, North Korea, Singapore or the USA?

At least Siam has democracy. What does China & Vietnam have?

Is suspending democracy the best or only way to improve it? Does Suthep really want to do that, or is he extremely devious, a compulsive liar & unbelievably corrupt?

I don't believe the Democrat leadership cares any more about the poor than PTP do. As for their tax dollars going to Isaan or BKK according to an interview Mr T gave to Forbes Magazine for the Filthy Rich himself one billion of them have already gone to Dubai.

As the saying goes, it's the rich what gets the pleasure..........

Please don't tell me that some Thais could be happy at making worldwide headlines over a situation like this.

Yes, Thais are happy with this. They get larked out to see themselves in photos or news especially international news. They have little sense as to positive or negative.

The girl picking her nose on the front page of the BKK post must have been thrilled.

I sincerely hope that Nick Nostitz did not mistake the protesters for red shirts just because it was Chinese New Year and everyone was wearing red!

If it's not him then the BBC video editors need a good talking to.

One of the best articles I've seen so far is this surprisingly cogent piece from Reuters : Insight: How Thaksin's meddling sparked a new Thai crisis for PM sister

Edited by Trembly

Thank you ,Doggy. The Dear Leader will look at you request to become Minister for Culture in the new Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Council.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Thaksin's Red shirt armed with sticks.

Suthep's Yellow armed with hand guns, rifles, Israel made machine gun bought by the Thai army.

Want to see photos of any of these? Glad to provide.

Hh

Good observation. Can anyone surmise how the Yellow's get all this money to buy an arsenal or funding besides from the Army? Does anyone suspect as I do that those foreign investors living here don't want a power shift so they might lose their control? I think the Thai conflict has more to do with foreigners who covertly support the Yellows in an attempt to protect their formerly unchallenged "privileged" lifestyle which has been obtained through sheer exploitation of cheap labor of all sordid varieties, than any political motivation for equality or a valid Democratic society. I don't think Thai politics are really in the hands of Thai people when it really boils down to it I think a lot of the conflict is being funded from outsiders who don't want a power shift from the resort areas in the South and Central areas to the North and for any real improvement in the working or living conditions for poorer Thai people unless they control who gets what and how much and as long as people remain under their collective thumbs. That's what I see from the investors living here in Phuket, I doubt it's different anywhere else in Thailand where the investors don't want to lose their hegemony. I suspect there's a lot of secret funding going on for the Yellows, in addition to terror and violent tactics, which otherwise might be called Terrorism.

Edited by me313
  • Like 1

Thaksin's Red shirt armed with sticks.

Suthep's Yellow armed with hand guns, rifles, Israel made machine gun bought by the Thai army.

Want to see photos of any of these? Glad to provide.

Hh

Good observation. Can anyone surmise how the Yellow's get all this money to buy an arsenal or funding besides from the Army? Does anyone suspect as I do that those foreign investors living here don't want a power shift so they might lose their control? I think the Thai conflict has more to do with foreigners who covertly support the Yellows in an attempt to protect their formerly unchallenged "privileged" lifestyle which has been obtained through sheer exploitation of cheap labor of all sordid varieties, than any political motivation for equality or a valid Democratic society. I don't think Thai politics are really in the hands of Thai people when it really boils down to it I think a lot of the conflict is being funded from outsiders who don't want a power shift from the resort areas in the South and Central areas to the North and for any real improvement in the working or living conditions for poorer Thai people unless they control who gets what and how much and as long as people remain under their collective thumbs. That's what I see from the investors living here in Phuket, I doubt it's different anywhere else in Thailand where the investors don't want to lose their hegemony. I suspect there's a lot of secret funding going on for the Yellows, in addition to terror and violent tactics, which otherwise might be called Terrorism.

Its not the foreign investors its the domestic Amart who think its their country to do with as they please like it has always been.

Today there are many blind fools who are demanding their right to vote

But what are they voting for ?

How can you vote for democracy. When their is only 1 party to vote for

Todays vote is for democracy or dictatorship

If today you vote in a government that has no opposition only one party in power it is a dictatorship not democracy

The protestors have learnt

you can good some Thais all of the time

But you can no fool all Thais all of the time

so you think all Thais who voted today are "blind fools" - insulting my extended Thai family who went out to vote this morning. What gives you the idea that there is only one party to vote for?

What do you think gives anybody the right to change their duty and right to vote?

A vast majority of Thais all over Thailand want to select THEIR government through elections - as the constitution stipulates and no self styled "General Secretary" southern gangster can take this right away from them.

Are you one of those who is in favor of democracy only if everything works out your way?

If Suthep thinks he is speaking for the "Thai people" and wants to see how popular he is outside his families-mafia controlled territory why does he not start his own political party?

I am sure it would be a great success and if it's true what he tells people about how popular he and his reforms are he would win in a landslide!

If the Democrats decided to boycott the elections and their members follow them blindly - that's their problem. Not contesting? Fine.

It is the Thai peoples decision who will be in government - if they fail to live up to their expectations they will be voted out in 4 years - it is a slow process but the only one that works! anything else would throw this country into chaos.

In the meantime we can send Suthep to North Korea to study "peoples councils"- and await his report about how "absolute power corrupts" and "a 100 ways how to ruin a country" -

His stupid talk about reforms - which he has never outlined in detail and do neither include the police, civil servants, land reforms which would upset the rich and his own family, the armed forces, controversial laws condemned internationally, human rights - one would think he had time enough talking other nonsense all day on stage - the whole exercise is just a smoke screen to grab power again through the backdoor!

• Like 2

Are you threatening a journalist? You use these ominous phrases: "had better be more cautious", "continues to push his luck". By the way, he was not "lucky" the lese majeste case was dropped. This case, from what I have read, was purely intimidation.

If you have a specific complaint about JH's language I suggest that you make a precise transcript and then take it down to your local police station. They will make a careful record of your complaint, and then as soon as you have left I guess will laugh themselves sick over your idiotic nonsense.

It should be said that Jonathan Head is one of the most admired and courageous journalists in SE Asia. His reports are scrupulously balanced, while being refreshingly frank.

You contemptiously refer to this excellent journalist as "Red Jono". In that case I think we should refer to you as "Toady Dogmatix" as you are evidently sucking up to the most regressive elements on this forum and in Thailand as a whole. Your post is thoroughly unpleasant and nothing less than agressive intimidation.

Edited by tilac2
  • Like 1