Govt calls on Election Commission to hold new polls within one week

Lite Beer

Govt calls on Election Commission to hold new polls within one week
By English News

1391337217843-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 2 – The Election Commission (EC) should hold new elections in unsuccessful constituencies in seven days to enable voters to exercise their rights, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Pongthep Thepkanchana said today.

Out of 94,454 polling stations in 375 constituencies, he said election proceeded smoothly in 84,325 stations, representing 89.28 per cent.

He said 310 constituencies operated without any problem, 26 constituencies were partially open for voting and 39 constituencies could not be opened.

In Bangkok’s 33 constituencies which cover 6,671 polling stations, elections were organised without disruptions in 20 constituencies and partial elections were held in 13 constituencies, or 92.59 per cent of the total constituencies, he said.

“The government hopes that people who could not cast their ballots today will be able to exercise their rights in seven days,” said Mr Pongthep.

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said the EC could not announce nationwide voting results until it receives results from three portions - advance election, overseas election and general election.

Advance elections on Jan 26 were called off due to disruptions by protesters and the EC has set Feb 23 for another round of advance elections.

Mr Supachai said the EC will have to discuss about organising elections in 28 constituencies in the South where election registrations have not been completed so far.

The EC chairman expressed appreciation to voters and related election officials for organising the elections with patience. ‎

Meanwhile, the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) announced that rallies to pressure the caretaker prime minister and government to resign would continue despite today’s elections.

PDRC spokesman Akanat Promphan said an announcement of victory by Chalerm Yubamrung, director of the Centre for Maintaining of Peace and Order (CMPO), would aggravate protesters’ sentiment and lead to escalating violence.

He said police have never arrested any culprit in attacks against PDRC protesters who were killed and injured in several grave incidents.

Mr Akanat claimed gunmen with green armbands who were spotted opening fire in yesterday’s clash at Lak Si intersection were not PDRC security guards.

All PDRC guards must carry credentials, not only green armbands, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-02

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people have spoken. Jail Suthep and his lackeys now!

..............what for?.....................................standing up to a criminal? You can always go back home!! You dont have a say by the way!!

But you do?

• Like 2

Looks like Suthep and his lackeys failed to stop democracy!

And what democracy was that

Its too difficult to explain. Get your mom to tell you when your 15.

Maybe the 6 million man picnic that brought bangkok to it's knees should be extended. lol

Suthep is doomed now. Police have all the evidence and warrents and they'll strike as the mob falls in size. They have the facebook group pics now of the guards with the guns. The PDRC are that blatant.

Power to the people and well done to everybody who voted. I was in klong toey with my wife today and not a whistle to be seen. all that area was free to vote, and many did. The fascist had a few phyric victories. I mean, they had promised to block the whole thing and even with the EC conniving and an armed gang, they could only affect 10% of the Country!

Great day out Suthep. After unleashing the armed gang yesterday, I feel we'll be seeing much less of you in years to come. The backers. They are outed as well, and once the mob is gone, they will have to switch sides or perish.

Well done to the Government, The election was peaceful apart from Dem/PDRC side who want dictatorship anyway.

Why don't EC, give all the votes in the South to Suthep to cast as he wishes for all time. One man, one vote and he can just tell them where they go. Then the muppets in the south get an instant awakening to the fact that Suthep rules them. Educate... You think so? Give hard fought voting rights to Suthep... smile.png up to you

...............Now ..............cancel the result..............NEXT!!!

Looks like Suthep and his lackeys failed to stop democracy!

Democracy???? You can only vote for the government or Chuvit at this election....Welcome in the democracy East Germany style.

As you well know there are multiple parties registered for this election. There is even an option for a "No" vote so stop spreading misinformation

and who told them to wear the green armbands, eh ...?........were they Martians? Venusian..? Wookies? Or were they even Thai... so they could easily be disavowed as PDRC? .if I'm someone who wants to retain anonymity...as well as carry a gun in order to provoke violence....I'd try to blend in... not fly a kite!...and really of course they weren't your guys... your guys are as pure as the driven snow.. we all know that.. frost I guess I should say..( it doesn't snow even on Doi Suthep) ...I fear the tit-for-tat game will now begin in earnest...I won! No I won! No... you ONE.. we are 6 million! I won! ..

Edited by DirtFarmer

Does that 3.8 billion baht cover all of the secondary elections or will there be additional cost? We have to hold these elections so that we

can respect peoples vote. At this rate the poor rice farmer is due to be screwed yet again.

It comes from different budget allocations. How is the rice farmer being screwed by election costs?