Govt calls on Election Commission to hold new polls within one week

Lite Beer

representing 89.28 per cent.

Last time i looked 89.28% wasn't 95%, so tough luck to PTP.

“The government hopes that people who could not cast their ballots today will be able to exercise their rights in seven days,” said Mr Pongthep.

Well, he can hope, but within 7 days is not the same day, so the election is unconstitutional and PTP lose again.

Yingluck is going to jail for corruption in the rice scam, whoops, 3 strikes you're out!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a joke. A sick joke, but a joke. You call that successful elections? The will be annulled within a month and everyone knows it, except for a few wishful thinkers. rolleyes.gif

On what basis will they be annulled ?

In the majority of the country things went very very well.

In a small minority of the country the PDRC (with Democrat Party support - Abhisit and others have all been blowing whistles and on stage) have in effect obstructed an election. THEY HAVE IN EFFECT OBSTRUCTED IT, lets be clear on that.

The Constitution of Thailand does not say nullify elections when a small amount is disrupted. It does say jail terms of 1 to 5 years for people who obstruct elections. The Constitution of Thailand says by-elections have to be run now until all 100% of the seats are filled, and at 95% filling after by-elections a new parliament can be formed.

Academics are already saying there is basically no grounds for nullifying the elections. Be sure that many people all over the world are studying the Thai Constitution and will be looking for any dodgy court verdict. You can expect a worldwide outcry and perhaps investigations on an International level if something dodgy happens in terms of court verdicts.

The Democrats and the PDRC laid all their hopes on a coup, that failed. They then wanted the election to be postponed to breach the Constitution if not held by Feb 6th, that failed. They then wanted everyone not to vote and to block the majority of polling stations. That failed.

Their last chance now is an annulment, but there is basically no grounds for an annulment. Its pretty much game over now for the PDRC and Democrat Party, they will likely resort back to trying to get a coup.

We might see lots of Cambodians now entering Thailand.

I would suggest anyone now at a protest site has to be very very worried of a "false flag" attack to kill lots of them in order to justify a coup. If they had any sense they would go home, and many are.......... probably be just a bunch of rubber and palm oil farmers left when something big happens, cannon fodder.

All of that is of course just my opinion of things, lets hope they take defeat in a sensible way and just toddle off out of the way for 4 years and come back ready to contest the next election in 2018.

'....they will likely resort back to trying to get a coup"

Yup!

Just as soon as they can get their 'user-friendly courts" and their so-called 'Independent agency" ducks in line"..........They switched to this plan earlier when it appeared the street stuff wasn't going to work.....

A plan amongst co-operative political entities, organized for that purpose after their 2006 coup caper.

You can begin to understand why they fought 'tooth-and-nail', to prevent diminishment of these entities, and to characterize them as normative, during the past Parliamentary session...They knew they would need these tools later.

• Like 1

Look like today's charade to legitimize a corrupt government has ended in a stale mate.

The EC tried to warn the caretaker PM that it was a wast of time and money holding this election today, unfortunately they spoke to the monkey and not the organ grinder. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

If they cancel the result there will be hell to pay, .. the country has voted and those that havnt will.The courts cannot keep nullifying things over and over people just wont accept it.

If the country has chosen then so be it, a few thousand rabid people dosnt make an opposition, go back and come up with real policies and party to oppose or go crawl under a rock smile.png

I think whatever the outcome there will be trouble because people here are bad losers and it seems whatever happens the support for the "Reds" seems overwhelming at the ballot box, this is not a good thing because there is not a powerful opposition and without that there is not a viable democracy.

Yinglook won the last election easily then she signed up a lot of minor parties which ensured the control of Parliament, a good scheme but not good for Thailand which partly why this problem as arisen.

The recent administration has hardly covered instelf in glory and the failure to to deal with rice pledging situation is only the last in line of failures. It is not in there interests to stop the scheme as its their voters who benefit although this year/last year they do seem to have got the rewards, the Govt needs to address this question, wher has the money gone?

According to "The Forbes Rich List" a gentleman in Dubai has suddenly become very rich, he informed the FRL in October 2013 that the Thai authorities returned nearly $1billion to him, I did noy know that and I wonder how many Thais know that? Whe did that happen and how did the Govt circumvent the law ?

The recent adminstration was not perfect ) which is?) but they have made a lot of mistakes and taken the electorate for a ride.

Now then what of Suthep and his chums? Do they have a point? Yes they do but are they going about it the right way? Do you think if they got into power things would be better?

I do not have a vote, like you so what happens in front of us is both baffling and amazing, I came here for a simple easy life. I think thats what most Thais would like as well but with all this turmoil its not good for anyone, stability, respect for law and order would be a great start, not to mention people talking to each other and trying to resolve the situation rationally, perhaps then the country can move forward and learn from all this brinkmanship and not losing face etc etc and my friends if it takes more than politics can offer at the moment then so be it, some heads need banging together.

• Like 1

Out of 94,454 polling stations in 375 constituencies, he said election proceeded smoothly in 84,325 stations, representing 89.28 per cent.

Looks like Mr. Sutheps 'total shutdown' has failed dismally - largely because he forgot that Thailand consists of more than central Bangkok and Surat Thani. Time he was put oput to grass.

Sadly, of course, this is not the end, because the hopelessly biased judiciary will now be wheeled into play and will throw out the elected government, thus starting the whole merry-go-round again. Violent Red democ in BKK in 3 years time?

the electorate speaks loud and clear, bye bye Suthep dont let the door hit you on the way out.

suthep and his yellow bullies 0, will of the people 1

How do you know what they voted for??? It might be 99% voted No... Now that would be loud and clear biggrin.png

Very valid point. I think a lot are waiting to hear the ratio of "yes" compared to NO votes as that would be the clearest indication of what the electorate wants.

I rather suspect that any information about turnout and voting ratios will be kept under very close wraps whilst the various agencies and key players ponder how they are to arrive at the"correct" result. There is a long way to go before any lady, irrespective of girth, sings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looks like Suthep and his lackeys failed to stop democracy!

Democracy???? You can only vote for the government or Chuvit at this election....Welcome in the democracy East Germany style.

Quite true, h90. But the fault lies entirely with your chums in the Dem Party for being such gutless , spineless cowards. Too scared to face up to PTP in an election. What exactly do you think a political party is for? Sitting round drinking tea and gossiping, or engaging with the electorate and winning elections?

• Like 1

the electorate speaks loud and clear, bye bye Suthep dont let the door hit you on the way out.

suthep and his yellow bullies 0, will of the people 1

How do you know what they voted for??? It might be 99% voted No... Now that would be loud and clear biggrin.png

Very valid point. I think a lot are waiting to hear the ratio of "yes" compared to NO votes as that would be the clearest indication of what the electorate wants.

I rather suspect that any information about turnout and voting ratios will be kept under very close wraps whilst the various agencies and key players ponder how they are to arrive at the"correct" result. There is a long way to go before any lady, irrespective of girth, sings.

I'm not so sure about that.

On past form Chalerm will announce he knows all the results and who voted for who before his first snifter tomorrow morning. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

And what democracy was that

Its too difficult to explain. Get your mom to tell you when your 15.

Maybe the 6 million man picnic that brought bangkok to it's knees should be extended. lol

Suthep is doomed now. Police have all the evidence and warrents and they'll strike as the mob falls in size. They have the facebook group pics now of the guards with the guns. The PDRC are that blatant.

Power to the people and well done to everybody who voted. I was in klong toey with my wife today and not a whistle to be seen. all that area was free to vote, and many did. The fascist had a few phyric victories. I mean, they had promised to block the whole thing and even with the EC conniving and an armed gang, they could only affect 10% of the Country!

Great day out Suthep. After unleashing the armed gang yesterday, I feel we'll be seeing much less of you in years to come. The backers. They are outed as well, and once the mob is gone, they will have to switch sides or perish.

Well done to the Government, The election was peaceful apart from Dem/PDRC side who want dictatorship anyway.

Why don't EC, give all the votes in the South to Suthep to cast as he wishes for all time. One man, one vote and he can just tell them where they go. Then the muppets in the south get an instant awakening to the fact that Suthep rules them. Educate... You think so? Give hard fought voting rights to Suthep... smile.png up to you

Maybe you are right but just maybe you are dead wrong. Since you seem to think democracy is only about freedom to vote makes you and every other thai thinking this way either completely ignorant or completely brainwashed.

Voting for someone you choose to like is all good but that is not democracy. Voting for someone who will work FOR ALL THE people to make this country a better place for everyone is democracy. This country seems to forget this last part about democracy. It is also something the current leader has been severely lacking in doing.

Im sure if the democratic party poured millions of baht into the north they would have thw majority vote the same way Thaksin and YL did. But that only means they are buying votes and followers. Not working to make all of thailand a better stronger country.

Before you start quoting democracy you should google the word. Then compare it to all your previous government leaders have done. I am sure robbing, extorting, bribing, coercing, cheating, etc... are not ways to improve this country yet it is in the news every week here about almost all people in the higher gov positions. AND YOU BACK THEM.... One of these days you will look back at who you support and say "What was i thinking"

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your right, it is post ballot box actions that molds a govt’s sincerity to democracy. All that elections do is give them a chance to show it. Elections are a gateway to prove to the people during your term that you respect all the principles of democracy. PTP have made it abundantly clear that they do not respect the democratic process.

Again this is where education comes in. The farmers are not exposed to all the principles of democracy the PTP abuse. They don't really care either as long as they get 40% above market value for rice.

What makes me wonder though is that the expats can see the PTP and the damage they cause yet still support them. The principles they abuse yet still defend them, but then as all deniers do, they turn it around and blame the opposition. Look no further than the holocaust deniers. Their love for the Nazi party was so huge. The emotion and energy they invested in supporting them was so big they are not going to look at the truth. They will look past facts and truth and make up a denial that demonizes the opposition. In this case it was a jewish conspiracy.This is no different. "It was not the Nazi's fault, blame the jews" In Thailand it is "It is not the PTP's fault, blame the DEMS or PDRC or The world bank, or the IMF or the EC or UNHCR or Human Rights Watch" Get the picture?

The supporters need our help and our pity. Once they are free from the shackles of the regime's strong propaganda messages they will start to see. When they understand that democracy starts post ballot box and it is not where it ceases then they will wake up. They will then understand they are the fuel of this regime.

I will finish on this point. Is it right (democratic) for an MP that was voted in by his electorate to be the voice of those people in that electorate to vote for an amnesty that the majority of the people in that electorate didn't want, but the MP voted for it on the orders of a convicted criminal who's sister is the PM? Will any replies be, BUT BUT the DEMS did this or the DEMS did that or that never happened. Is it right for the Nazi's to kill 9 million jews? Will the replies be BUT BUT the jews did this or the Jews did that or that never happened. Makes people look foolish when they defend the PTP.

I pity them. I would hate to run into one in a dark alley out of fear for my life, but I pity them.

Excuse me. I make no secret of the fact that I tend towards ( a not uncritical) support of Pheu Thai and its previous incarnations. I am resolute in my support of elections as the cornerstone of a democratic government.

To suggest that puts me, in any way, in the same category as a holocaust denier,supporting the murder of European Jewry, is ridiculous, and grossly offensive. You should withdraw that suggestion.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

No, it will mean the majority of officials who did do their job today, will be used to carry out the work of those who failed today.

And those who failed today due to whatever reason, will be investigated to see if there was any bias and deliberate sabotage of an election.............and if so then therefore should they be convicted for what they done. The innocent will be fine, anyone found guilty of deliberately sabotaging a polling station, well, they will have committed a criminal offense.

In my opinion only of course.

I think there are some rules that say officials have to be from the district. So they can't bring in other officials from other districts.

I don't know, why all of you fellow foreigners get so excited about this "failed" election? Most Thai people just don't care anymore. Others are down partying to great music in Bangkok and eating good free food.

There are a few fanatics of course, but you get those everywhere.

This is so funny...a Thai woman came into the bar tonight and told us about the Pro-Yingluck stage in Chiang Dao, last night. She said, there were only about three people there. Most people didn't even know about it. (We didn't and none of our friends, all who have businesses less than two blocks away from it, on main street, knew about it, either)

By contrast, Bangkok people are flooding the streets every night, listening to popular singers like Pong Phat, Eet and others.

As a foreigner, if you haven't been here, for very long, you need to understand that Thai people value sanuk (fun), more than anything in life. For example, if are an employer, you better make sure, the job is in a fun environment, because they will not stay for high pay, if the place is no fun. Suthep knows how to get to the people...good, free food and lots of fun entertainment.

Nobody really trusts or likes politicians anymore, just like anywhere else in the world. They want to have fun and eat together.

You guys are taking this whole thing way to seriously. wai2.gif

The things the "people" will do to keep in power......tnx again T pffffffffffffffffff What a f#$%^&*() kind of person you are!

Before I was on neither side but the last few years made me into a Yellow!

People that get elected get to stay in power in most civilized countries. It's called Democracy. You win, you rule.

If people don't like you when the term is up, they can vote for someone else.

What people, who were never elected, and who lost every election for over 20 years do to grab power however, is much worse.

Out of 94,454 polling stations in 375 constituencies, he said election proceeded smoothly in 84,325 stations, representing 89.28 per cent.

Looks like Mr. Sutheps 'total shutdown' has failed dismally - largely because he forgot that Thailand consists of more than central Bangkok and Surat Thani. Time he was put oput to grass.

Maybe he meant "total shutdown" of braincells of his supporters.

Edited by ShannonT

Sadly, of course, this is not the end, because the hopelessly biased judiciary will now be wheeled into play and will throw out the elected government, thus starting the whole merry-go-round again. Violent Red democ in BKK in 3 years time?

It hasn't failed yet. The election results can't be declared. Government can't be formed until enough seats can be filled. It will be 2-3 months at least before parliament can be convened to elect a PM and form a government.

I for one admire Suthep, even though we all know he is not squiky clean, has had the gonads to pursue this. If we had someone like him in the US to unite us against the government, hell, I would pack up and move back in a heartbeat.

If you had someone like Suthep in the United States, he and his followers would already be in a coffin for terrorism.

Can you imagine storming the White House and Capitol? Attacking the US Army and DC Police? Blocking major streets in Washington causing a traffic chaos? Threatening to arrest Obama and his Cabinet? Walking around the city with their own armed militia?

I can smell the coffins from here and so can you.

• Like 1

It hasn't failed yet. The election results can't be declared. Government can't be formed until enough seats can be filled. It will be 2-3 months at least before parliament can be convened to elect a PM and form a government.

The Thai Constitution states, that the Elections have to be held in one day (not counting advance polls of course). You cannot have an "advance poll", after the main election, so this election is in fact invalid and will be annulled, which it should be in any Country. You also have to have a quorum, in order to form a Government and they don't. wai2.gif

• Like 1

The people have spoken. Jail Suthep and his lackeys now!

..............what for?.....................................standing up to a criminal? You can always go back home!! You dont have a say by the way!!

The Thai people have gone out in their millions to vote today. They've gone not knowing how much harassment, intimidation and violence they would face. They have broken down gates locked by the anti-democrat supporters

The message that you and your Suthep thugs need to understand is that ordinary Thai people will not have their basic human rights trampled over. They have spoken

I had a friend take his wife to vote in Bangkok today. No protesters, but the polling place was empty. Nobody was voting.

As reported by the Post a few days ago, a majority of the people in Bangkok favored a delay in the polls. Democracy isn't just about voting. There's a lot more to it.

• Like 1

The greatest laugh of the whole lot is Sutheps/rent a crowd insistance to carrying out reforms before the election took place, Over the last 3 months of rubbish that i have listened to I have never heard 1 proposed reform from suthep/democrat party/rent a crowd?

Please somebody enlighten me and i don't want to hear about corruption, the rice debacle or getting rid of Taksin and his family for good. or is this pie in sky nonsense just to start a civil war or coup? Beacuse from what i can see its the oppositions only route to power because they haven't a hope of using democratic means to get into power in the next 50 years!

Edited by RobthaiIre
  • Like 2

Couldn't help yourself eh?

These 'elections' were hardly legitimate as they only had one main party with opposition parties boycotting it. The Thaksin regime (known as the Yingluck Government) carried out a campaign of terror aimed at their opponents using the same methods they used during the 2010 red occupation. The method, off course, was cause mayhem, shoot, kill, bomb and then blame the opposition - Thaksin is excellent at this type of manipulation. So these so-called elections could not be any further from "the democracy process" and reminded one of the elections in Iraq (where you could only vote for Saddam) and other such states. Thaksin will do anything to hold onto power. Meanwhile, out in the East, the people stayed at home. When pro-red supporters here talk about 'millions' of voters, it seems from the reports that at the end of the day there was little disruption to the process, but a massive stay at home or spoiled votes. What's fun here is right now the red Thaksinites are calling this a victory, but once they see how few people actually voted for them, they'll blame the PDRC - thus contradicting today's claim that PDRC had little influence. Interesting stuff and it ain't finished yet.

• Like 1

The Thai people have gone out in their millions to vote today. They've gone not knowing how much harassment, intimidation and violence they would face. They have broken down gates locked by the anti-democrat supporters

The message that you and your Suthep thugs need to understand is that ordinary Thai people will not have their basic human rights trampled over. They have spoken

I had a friend take his wife to vote in Bangkok today. No protesters, but the polling place was empty. Nobody was voting.

As reported by the Post a few days ago, a majority of the people in Bangkok favored a delay in the polls. Democracy isn't just about voting. There's a lot more to it.

It's possible the polling station didn't have any ballots.

The people have spoken. Jail Suthep and his lackeys now!

..............what for?.....................................standing up to a criminal? You can always go back home!! You dont have a say by the way!!

But my wife and family do ;) how's the corruption in Greece going by the way? Need another bailout, or are you heading back to Australia soon?

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1