Why AreExpats So Stuck Up

kingstonkid

I guess money cannot buy her happiness. I hope she is not stuck up like the people OP was talking about.

You are assuming the OP is correct, when in fact, it may be the OP himself who's a bit...shall we say, "off."

No I wasn't. I experienced it. You cannot denial that there are farangs that have the stuck up attitude especially when they have the so call hi-so Thai girlfriend. The same with Thai girls. They think they have it made since they got the farang husband.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with "alph michaels". It appears a lot of teachers can cast judgement BC or think one is here to use the country girl..basicly BC of what u look like or act.. The funny thing is anyone can get a masters degree considering financial backing and persistence. In saying , I don't talk to many people foreign or Thai..I'm happy with my slowly

developing circle that I can trust.. I would tell

people ..if someone wears a Tie and can speak fast and talks a lot about their job and accomplishments. Find someone that listens and asks about yours. I have not met many nice teachers here or get smiles. But I don't carry a briefcase and although I do smile and say hello. I could careless about meeting them.

and with their

You sound like my old fella, and his favourite quote.....a higher education is not a measure of intelligence

A quote usually espoused by someone with no education at all.

Well my old fella ended up with a masters degree in engineering but he did start out on the tools and studied of a night, and the last company he worked for he was mentoring recent graduate engineers and his in processional opinion the graduate engineers coming through the system these days are not worth a sh#t.

But by your post one can assume you have not acquired either of two attributes mentioned

I agree with "alph michaels". It appears a lot of teachers can cast judgement BC or think one is here to use the country girl..basicly BC of what u look like or act.. The funny thing is anyone can get a masters degree considering financial backing and persistence. In saying , I don't talk to many people foreign or Thai..I'm happy with my slowly

developing circle that I can trust.. I would tell

people ..if someone wears a Tie and can speak fast and talks a lot about their job and accomplishments. Find someone that listens and asks about yours. I have not met many nice teachers here or get smiles. But I don't carry a briefcase and although I do smile and say hello. I could careless about meeting them.

and with their

Perhaps the NETs might earn better money - or at least more money - in your country, where they are clearly sadly needed.

SC

I'm saying helicopter pilots - which I do consider quite specialized and well-qualified as are all the examples given - are paid more than say truck drivers due to the higher risk of their work.

Let's try for desk jobs that only require decent intelligence and a liberal arts BA from a middle-ranking uni - or these days even a top-100 uni, say five years low-to-middle general management experience. Not commission-based.

How much are chopper pilots paid then ? Sure the truck drivers in Iraq believe their job is higher risk than an average chopper pilot

Helicopter pilots make over $150,000 a year if they can also fly the privet jet.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My aunt's husband is the Captain Pilot for Air-Asia airlines in Thailand. They just bought a condo in Bangkok worth 12 million bht, not to mention the two Mercedes they already own. Yet every time I see my aunt she looks miserable.....

Hopefully he wont be replaced by the 1500 or so all malaysian fresh pilot graduates of the school owned by airasia. supposedly all the non-malaysian pilots are getting canned although required to provide in-flight training to their replacements, whom I've heard aren't doing all that well.

Street cowboy

Using a phone can limit English capabilities in my case. Thanks for reiterating the fact that one can be judged in many ways. I do have a lot of education in speech and English language. Should I text better for u in order to meet your standards of native English? Makes me wonder if u are one of the negative expats being considered.

Yup! very good point indeed. Well she's been married ten years, and has two kids with him. Maybe her heart tells her she wants out but can do nothing about it. I suspect he's highly unlikely to stay faithful, surely he has other woman on the side....... Love can't buy happiness, only stability and social security.

I think you may have something there. Every time I've been in love I ended up poor.smile.png

well if this is the case.. Sorry to say but you were in love for the wrong reasons :(

Yup! very good point indeed. Well she's been married ten years, and has two kids with him. Maybe her heart tells her she wants out but can do nothing about it. I suspect he's highly unlikely to stay faithful, surely he has other woman on the side....... Love can't buy happiness, only stability and social security.

I think you may have something there. Every time I've been in love I ended up poor.smile.png

well if this is the case.. Sorry to say but you were in love for the wrong reasons sad.png

No wrong reasons just wrong people Kirsty.smile.png

Even in Melbourne people still acknowledge other people and smile or say hello if they enter common space.

Thais usually do too.

I noticed in Austria and Germany that when someone came into a returant he would go round each table tap it twice and say "Gruss Gott" (maybe Naam can correct my German"

It is mainly here foreigners do not want to acknowledge each other.

A nod and a smile has always worked for me.

But obviously not to everybody, only the ones that initiate the want to make contact, Thais & Farangs.................wink.png

I would appear to be a bigger idiot than I am now if I nodded to everyone, definite basket case in the making..................rolleyes.gif

well if this is the case.. Sorry to say but you were in love for the wrong reasons sad.png

When I met her she was poor. Her husband beat and abused her and her daughter. He got arrested and put in prison. I gave her a job and she finished her education and we fell in love. I took care of her and her child and she stole my heart, money and whatever else was not nailed down. Maybe you could tell me about my wrong reasons?

When I met her she was poor. Her husband beat and abused her and her daughter. He got arrested and put in prison. I gave her a job and she finished her education and we fell in love. I took care of her and her child and she stole my heart, money and whatever else was not nailed down. Maybe you could tell me about my wrong reasons?

I'm not calling you a liar, but your story sounds very cliché. If what you're says IS true, I feel sympathetic.You gave her work, helped with her Education, loved and cared for her dearly...... But she still left you. Poor fella :(

Edited by kirstymelb101

I often nod or give a small wave when passing fellow falangs in big C or walking down the street

Do you ever get a response? I saw a falang in a big C where they are rarely seen, it was near closing time so few about. I don't normally say anything but this time said hello. He not only ignored me but changed walking direction to get out of line of sight, called after him good evening again but no flicker of response. won't bother next time, what is wrong with these people?

I'm not calling you a liar, but your story sounds very cliché. If what you're says IS true, I feel sympathetic.You gave her work, helped with her Education, loved and cared for her dearly...... But she still left you. Poor fella sad.png

A lot of guys have sad stories. I picked a geographical cure and moved to Thailand. I have a new wife, house and big screen HD TV and I'm not sad anymore. I don't want to sound too trite but the HD TV here is really awesome. Wife is at work and me and the dog watch HD TV.

• Like 2

in the west airline pilots are paid peanuts.

Farang000999, Fairly wide net you're casting there.

It would depend on what type of aircraft your piloting, would be a more accurate way to put it. For example, a Captain of a Boeing 747 or ugly A380 ies gets paid a lot more than the captain of a regional Fokker with 50 seats or so. Also the pay varies depending on which airline you are working for. Perhaps you were referring to the poor young pilot trying to build hours in a crop duster?

Some Captains and check captains flying for the various 'western' airlines around the place are on very attractive packages...... But then again I guess it all depends what you call peanuts, doesn't it?

As for the topic of being stuck up, I'm not stuck up, but I'm not real friendly either. If when I'm out and about strangers approach me, I normally go straight into self preservation mode, it's just the way it is. I'm just a suspicious old bugger. If I were passing the same dude (or dudette) day in, day out, exchanging a nod or hello wouldn't bother me, but on the other hand I couldn't give a ratsarse if we didn't.

The OP has been given good sound advice to join clubs etc if he wants to make friends, as opposed to psycho advice by those who chase people down the soi, repeating, hello hello etc. <deleted> is wrong with some of you people? Are you really here in LOS as an expat or were you expelled by your own country for being freaks?

You know everyone's different, that's what makes the world go around, <deleted> I'm so glad I'm not like some of you, correction, most of you, but as for me, I'm just fine ;)

• Like 1

I live in a large city in the South where most of the falangs are teachers. I have not noted a discernable difference between stuck-up falang teachers and stuck-up anybodies--falang or local. Additionally, I am quite surprised at the number of TV posters who seem to think a casual hello is "weird." I speak or nod my head to anyone, falang or local, who is in my presence and is looking my way. If you do not reciprocate my greeting, I may think you are stuck-up.

If I felt a teacher is stuck-up and it bothered me, I would ask in which school they teach. If they did not respond or ask why I asked, I would simply say I would not want my children to be taught by a stuck-up arse like you.

If those teachers who consider themselves "special" aka "stuck up" you'd imagine those feeling would arise from being accepted to teach in a society having a high education standard such as japan, korea, singapore, etc, certainly not thailand (exceptions noted) In addition, a true high education should impart self esteem humility and not vanity or pretentiousness. Thai society is primarily based on image rather than substance. Perhaps it attracts those with similar traits from abroad or at least retains such people as it seems the attrition rate for bonafide teachers is high.

• Like 2

A lot of guys have sad stories. I picked a geographical cure and moved to Thailand. I have a new wife, house and big screen HD TV and I'm not sad anymore. I don't want to sound too trite but the HD TV here is really awesome. Wife is at work and me and the dog watch HD TV.

You watch Thai tv all day with the dog?

I'm not calling you a liar, but your story sounds very cliché. If what you're says IS true, I feel sympathetic.You gave her work, helped with her Education, loved and cared for her dearly...... But she still left you. Poor fella sad.png

Snap

51" Samsung, using it now to post on TV.

Wife upstairs with baby.

You watch Thai tv all day with the dog?

Thai dog. Actually the dog is trilingual and we get channels in many different languages (The dog likes Cesar Milan). But sometimes I just stare at the HD and wonder at the quality of Samsung. When I first came here Thailand only had B&W TV. What a change!

academics are like that the world over ... they cannot afford to let you (or anyone else) too close as you find out that they know very little ...

I disagree and wonder the source of your statements. I taught at the graduate level in university for over 20 years, very few of my colleagues were condescending or "stuck-up." The majority of those who were; however, fall into your latter category, not that they know very little, but that they do not know very much. Many of my friends here in Thailand do not even know of my academic credentials, but they show me respect, because I show the same to them. Of course, I am an opinionated SOB, but if you don't have the convictions of your beliefs, you're not much of a man.

Certainly there are plenty of stuck up degree snobs in Thailand. That precious piece of paper isn't necessarily going to prove anything about a persons ability to do a job either. Especially if it's in an unrelated subject! I have two BA degrees but my GPA was poor in one of them (marketing). However as long as you turn up and show some kind of progression you'll get through with a grade.