Why AreExpats So Stuck Up

kingstonkid

I lived in Spain for 20 years before moving to Thailand and it was " The Same " there! I dont drink and therefore have absolutely no interest in going to a bar ( or being involved in that scene) But i am NOT shy and i talk to " The world and there wife " out in the street.I have always thought it to be the most " natural " place to meet people ( a bar is the most " unnatural " place to meet people for me ) But yes some " expats" can be rude the world over.Luckily for me i came to Thailand to " get away from farang " not spend my days talking to them!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After living several years abroad, I actually agree with you. I think the problem is that many of the expats feel superior, when they come to SEA. They can suddenly afford and do things, they would never be able to do at home. Their lifestyle changes and so does their personality. The funny thing, is that e.g. Teachers, who are actually very low income and e.g. many low-income embassy staff (who are the worst), also tend to become "Stuck up".

Personally, I gave up the normal expat life style long ago. But when I sometimes do meet other expats, I often also get "the look", although I actually make more money than most of them. The difference however is, that I do not attend the social expat arrangements, I stick to having Thai-friends and I do not live in a fancy house and do not have a maid or even a car to show off. I do not live in an expat community either, because it would make me mad.

So if I was you, then I would stick to Thai-people. With Expats it is also a continuous getting to know new people, because many are only here for a short period of time anyway.

Why dfo you feel the need to point out that you "actually make more money than most of them?"

Because the fact is that I actually do make more money than they do, but still often meet a "stuck up" mindset and run into constant conversations of who makes the most money, when it comes to Expats. That is also why I stay away from them and "laugh to myself", when I am met with a "he is nothing look"...

So if you earned less than they did, their attitude would be OK?

Perhaps you should remind them how much you earn, as you have done us, so that they could treat you with the appropriate respect, as we do, sir

SC

After living several years abroad, I actually agree with you. I think the problem is that many of the expats feel superior, when they come to SEA. They can suddenly afford and do things, they would never be able to do at home. Their lifestyle changes and so does their personality. The funny thing, is that e.g. Teachers, who are actually very low income and e.g. many low-income embassy staff (who are the worst), also tend to become "Stuck up".

Personally, I gave up the normal expat life style long ago. But when I sometimes do meet other expats, I often also get "the look", although I actually make more money than most of them. The difference however is, that I do not attend the social expat arrangements, I stick to having Thai-friends and I do not live in a fancy house and do not have a maid or even a car to show off. I do not live in an expat community either, because it would make me mad.

So if I was you, then I would stick to Thai-people. With Expats it is also a continuous getting to know new people, because many are only here for a short period of time anyway.

Why dfo you feel the need to point out that you "actually make more money than most of them?"

and referring to himself as "Khun" gives a hint at where he thinks he is in the pecking order...but suppose not as bad as a farang referring to themselves as "Ajarn"

and referring to himself as "Khun" gives a hint at where he thinks he is in the pecking order...but suppose not as bad as a farang referring to themselves as "Ajarn"

Nothing wrong with inventing titles for yourself, Captain.

It sets you in fine company, with the likes of great statesmen such as Kim Jong Il and Idi Amin

SC