EC told to hold fresh elections within 30 days

webfact

EC told to hold fresh elections within 30 days

1101-4024-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission was urged to stage fresh elections within 30 days in constituencies where election could not be held on Sunday so that the 500-seat House of Representatives must be at least 95 percent filled up, Mr Kanin Boonsuwan, a member of the Pheu Thai party’s election committee, said Sunday.

He said that the House would not be able to convene by March 3 if the House has less than 475 MPs and, therefore, it will not be possible to pick the new prime minister.

However, the EC will have six months since February 2 to stage new elections until all the 500 House seats are filled up with MPs, said Mr Kanin, adding that party list MPs cannot be named unless elections can be staged in every constituency.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit urged the EC to stage fresh elections in nine southern provinces where there were no elections Sunday within seven days.

He identified Phuket, Phang-nga, Krabi and Ranong as the most problemation provinces of all nine southern provinces.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ec-told-hold-fresh-elections-within-30-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-03

Told or urged, there's a big difference.

Elections in 7 days, 30 days or 6 months ? Just another walk in the park for Thailand but wait there's so many decisions to be made so get the buck ready for passing and tell the Constitutional Court judges not to plan any vacations until they retire.

Told or requested? You beat me to the punch.

The E.C. will now consider 'mulling' or 'pondering', and in the fullness-of-time and at-the-appropriate-juncture and with all-due-care-and-consideration, they may 'assert' that they're in dire need of a study-trip to see how these problems are handled elsewhere, and are Montenegro or Nicaragua nice at this time of the year ? Consider taking a vote on which ? rolleyes.gif

Cue a Crackdown, on the Hub of prevarication, or perhaps not, it all bears thinking about ! laugh.png

• Like 1

Told or urged, there's a big difference.

Elections in 7 days, 30 days or 6 months ? Just another walk in the park for Thailand but wait there's so many decisions to be made so get the buck ready for passing and tell the Constitutional Court judges not to plan any vacations until they retire.

Told or requested? You beat me to the punch.

I'm about to rain on both our parades as my dear old mum had a favourite saying that " great minds think alike and fools seldom differ ! "

Ouch.

• Like 1

The Suthepistas have won. Most of them can go home, leaving a symbolic stage from which to pontificate to the media.

The Constitution clock is now ticking.

Too late for the alarm bells to start ringing for the PTP. The 30 days is the time period in which the House must elect a PM - as there is no House in session, this power passes to the National Assembly, which is obviously then formed of just the Senate. The Suthepistas can wait this out without breaking sweat.

I haven't looked at the history of the Thai Constitution; which sections were changed and when. However, it should be crystal clear that all roads lead to the Senate. Democracy is only allowed to function with the agreement of the senators. Independent agencies exist to keep people "in dependence".

Thailand looks very similar to the Republic of Venice.

• Like 2

Well the only thing I can say right now is let's wait and see what stupid suthep does next. I know he cant wait to get more blood spilled in the streets.

He has closed down two protest stages because he is sick of his supporters getting their blood spilled on the streets by pro-government people.

He is sick. I agree on that. But not that he is sick of violence erupting. His boomerang effect of pissing on democracy, disrupt the nomal life in a metropole and shout rhetorics which to the point have agression/call for violence in it. Watch the BBC series about the uprising of the Nazi's. Our Mr. Suthep has similar speeching habits as A.H. during the end of -30's.

• Like 1

Well the only thing I can say right now is let's wait and see what stupid suthep does next. I know he cant wait to get more blood spilled in the streets.

He has closed down two protest stages because he is sick of his supporters getting their blood spilled on the streets by pro-government people.

He is sick. I agree on that. But not that he is sick of violence erupting. His boomerang effect of pissing on democracy, disrupt the nomal life in a metropole and shout rhetorics which to the point have agression/call for violence in it. Watch the BBC series about the uprising of the Nazi's. Our Mr. Suthep has similar speeching habits as A.H. during the end of -30's.

..............................Better than listening to your square head god!!

I am sure I could find a hundred videos of Thai protest leaders from the last 10 years from both sides and show comparisons to Hitler's speeches.

These comparisons to 1930's & 40's leaders is getting a bit boring.

• Like 1

In my experience, to urge some civil servant to do something , by a timeclock not of their choosing may involve a little more than what you desire, want, need, or in some cases, what you are willing to pay.

It appears all sides want to get their loaded dice in the game, but they are being countered/monitored so they can only get in one dice at a time. The only question being, which one of the undesirables will make an agreement to make sure its not the oppositions second loaded dice that get into play.

He said that the House would not be able to convene by March 3 if the House has less than 475 MPs and, therefore, it will not be possible to pick the new prime minister.

Does he mean March, or does he mean May, and why is that significant?

Does he mean March, or does he mean May, and why is that significant?

3rd March is 30 days after the general election, during which time the House of Reps should have selected a new PM and the National Assembly should have sat for their first session. Hence the panic by the PTP to get the 95% of members needed for the House to even open.

It isn't gonna happen, is it?

The Suthepistas have won. Most of them can go home, leaving a symbolic stage from which to pontificate to the media.

Too late for the alarm bells to start ringing for the PTP. The 30 days is the time period in which the House must elect a PM - as there is no House in session, this power passes to the National Assembly, which is obviously then formed of just the Senate. The Suthepistas can wait this out without breaking sweat.

I haven't looked at the history of the Thai Constitution; which sections were changed and when. However, it should be crystal clear that all roads lead to the Senate. Democracy is only allowed to function with the agreement of the senators. Independent agencies exist to keep people "in dependence".

I fail to see how you can declare any one has won? And even if it is as you say, it is no more than just winning a battle.ermm.gif

No one is going to win the war until everyone agrees to listen to and meet the needs of the rural Thais who again are clearly shown to represent the majority in this country and no matter what size and shape any " reforms " take, in the end you can't disguise these facts no matter how hard you try.

From what I can see a " People's Council " would simply try ignore the views of rural Thailand and would certainly not give them the number of seats at the " People's Council " table they would deserve.

What kind of democracy is that?rolleyes.gif

I don't know about Thailand looking like Venice but unless and until people can come to grips that the opposition simply don't have the numbers compared to the rural vote, Rome will continue to burn while The Suthepistas “ fiddle.

Edited by Asiantravel

Yes, the clocks are ticking. Different groups have their own timescales. This is going to be a knotty problem to untangle, but untangled it must be in such a way as the wish of the majority of those who voted is respected. If it is not, there will be constitutional reform in Thailand, but not necessarily keping the present structure of government and certainly not an "appointed council" - or at least one that has control over the government and institutions of the whole country.

More like theres not enough protesters still interested to cover 3 locations.

• Like 1

Try again. They're still in 4 locations.

Impressive, how many are guards and old ladies now?

Edited by Thailand

As usual the super lame 'Compare Suteb to one or another hated figure from history in the hopes that it will make people not like him' scheme rears its ugly head. And Taksin is just like Polpot, now go and troll somewhere else please...

• Like 1

With less than 100 of the most brainwashed followers left at each location, Suthep better regroup in only one location indeed :)

Maybe a two stars resort somewhere in the south would be suitable :)

Sent from my iPhone...

With less than 100 of the most brainwashed followers left at each location, Suthep better regroup in only one location indeed smile.png

Maybe a two stars resort somewhere in the south would be suitable smile.png

Sent from my iPhone...

You obviously weren't at Asoke yesterday and last night. I assume the other locations had just as many people as Asoke.

I fail to see how you can declare any one has won? And even if it is as you say, it is no more than just winning a battle.ermm.gif

No one is going to win the war until everyone agrees to listen to and meet the needs of the rural Thais who again are clearly shown to represent the majority in this country and no matter what size and shape any " reforms " take, in the end you can't disguise these facts no matter how hard you try.

From what I can see a " People's Council " would simply try ignore the views of rural Thailand and would certainly not give them the number of seats at the " People's Council " table they would deserve.

What kind of democracy is that?rolleyes.gif

I don't know about Thailand looking like Venice but unless and until people can come to grips that the opposition simply don't have the numbers compared to the rural vote, Rome will continue to burn while The Suthepistas “ fiddle.

Yes, it is only a battle, but it strikes me as more akin to "checkmate in 5 moves" - yes, one could carry on till the bitter end, but...

The Suthepistas have shown that they can stop the House from achieving 95% of bums on seats, and I don't see why they can't just repeat this for every future by-election, especially since the EC has refused to count the proportional votes until all of them are in.

There might be a stalemate in there, somewhere, if the PTP can argue that as only a 50% quorum is needed for the House to vote and if, with the other parties, they can actually fill over 50% of seats, that the 95% condition be temporarily suspended with an Emergency Decree as it would make no difference to the function of the House. We know what the CC will think of that, but at least the argument should be made public.

Otherwise the future looks grim for a lame duck government for whom it may even be a relief to be eventually ousted by an appointed new interim government.