Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman dies aged 46

webfact

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman dies

NEW YORK: -- Oscar-winning American actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has died at his home in New York at the age of 46.

His body was found after a friend called emergency services. Police say he apparently died of a drug overdose.

Many fellow actors have been paying tribute to him.

Hoffmann made his name in the 1990s in films including Boogie Nights and the Big Lebowski, before winning the best actor Oscar for his 2005 portrayal of writer Truman Capote.

'Tragic and sudden'
Throughout his career Hoffman featured in independent films as well as Hollywood blockbusters such as Mission Impossible III.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-26009575

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-02-03

------------------

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman dead of suspected drug overdose
By Tashauna Thompson

NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) -- American actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, whose performance in the 2005 film "Capote" earned him an Oscar, was found dead Sunday in his New York City apartment, officials said, with initial indications pointing to a drug overdose as the likely cause of death.

The body was discovered at around 11:30 a.m. local time on Sunday when two of Hoffman's friends went to his penthouse apartment on Bethune Street in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan. One of the friends was identified as screenwriter David Katz, who called 911.

Upon arrival, officers found the 46-year-old actor lying unconscious and unresponsive on the bathroom floor with a needle in his arm, according to a New York City Police (NYPD) spokesperson. He said emergency medical services (EMS) also responded and pronounced Hoffman dead on arrival.

Investigators said that, at a glance, the cause of death appears to be a drug overdose, but the Medical Examiner's Office is yet to determine the cause and manner of death. "There have been reports in the media that he has had issues with drugs in the past," said NYPD spokesman Lieutenant John Grimple.

Hoffman's family said they were "devastated" by the sudden death of the actor, who was known as simply Phil to those close to him.

"We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone," the family said in a statement. "This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."

Hoffman, in a June 2006 interview, told CBS News that a turning point in his life was at the age of 22 when he sought help for substance abuse. "It was all that stuff, yeah. It was anything I could get my hands on. I liked it all," a laughing Hoffman said when asked whether he was using drugs, alcohol, or both.

Reacting to Hoffman's sudden death, people from across the world, including many celebrities, expressed their sadness and shock. "[i'm] saddened by Philip Seymour Hoffman's tragic and untimely passing. Today New York mourns the loss of one of stage and screen's greats," said New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Hoffman won an Academy Award for best actor for his role in the 2005 film "Capote," in which he portrayed author Truman Capote. He also received three Academy Award nominations for best supporting actor, most recently for the 2012 film "The Master," and previously for the 2008 film "Doubt" and the 2007 film "Charlie Wilson's War."

Among his most recent work, Hoffman landed a reprising role in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1," which is currently in post-production and set to premiere in November. He was also to star in the new Showtime series "Happyish," in which Hoffman's character was to examine people's pursuit of happiness.

"Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of our generation's finest and most brilliant actors. He was also a gifted comedic talent," Showtime said in a statement. "It was a great privilege and pleasure to work with him and we are all absolutely devastated by this sudden loss. Our thoughts go out to his family at this very difficult time."
Hoffman is survived by longtime partner Mimi O'Donnell and their three children.

(Copyright 2014 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

tvn.png
-- 2014-02-03

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greatest actors of this generation

This is a message to all - actors and you

Don't assume your firends and relatives are OK

They need your time, your help and love

RIP

Philip

Capote, Big lebowski due on DVD Player today

A very good actor but all this "greatest actor of his generation" is simply boilerplate bullshit the press & easily impressionable fanboys trot out when tragedy strikes early in the game (shades of Ledger & Phoenix et al.) He gambled with his lifestyle & lost but then again why not? Dead in your 40s @ the top of your game is not a bad way to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Lex Talionis
  • Like 2

A very good actor but all this "greatest actor of his generation" is simply boilerplate bullshit the press & easily impressionable fanboys trot out when tragedy strikes early in the game (shades of Ledger & Phoenix et al.) He gambled with his lifestyle & lost but then again why not? Dead in your 40s @ the top of your game is not a bad way to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It said he was ONE of the greatest actors of his generation, and that was most definitely true!!!

• Like 2

A true genius in front of the camera! A normal person off it. Why do members have to comment on Drug Addiction, it has been an accepted illness by the WHO for at least 40 years now. It is a life threatening illness which will kill if not treated.

I'm sorry Seymour that no one was there for you... sad.png

Funny how all these deaths of stars are drug overdose or suicide. I wonder whether he was speaking out about something he shouldn’t, that is usually the cause of death!

He was a great actor, I will miss him too. Condolences to his family.