Farmers close Bangkok-South road to demand payment for rice

Lite Beer

Don't the farmers realise that the govt cannot pay them now, in part because of the protests going on in Bkk, in part because they do not have the authority as they are only a caretaker govt inter alia?

Which part of my post is a lie?

The bold text...

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All silent on the pro-red expat front.....hmmm, interesting.

The caretaker govt is not allowed by law to pay the farmers from the govt coffers. What's so interesting about that? What is more interesting is that the PDRC is ACTIVELY preventing the farmers from being paid by threatening those who might be willing to ease the farmers' plight.

OH I thought it was because the banks were worried about the legality of the previous loan auction the caretaker Government held last week? The banks felt the risks were to great financially and politically!

• Like 1

OK, I read 'most' of the Bangkok Post article. Even if I were to agree that the rice pledging program is a mess, it is a form of income redistribution that is not all that uncommon - especially in many EU countries. It would also be interesting to see figures on the distribution of wealth in Thai society.

I would like to see the same type of in-depth reporting on military spending - the blimp and bomb detectors come readily to mind. I've also heard that the Thai Army has the highest ratio of General per enlisted men in the world. There's corruption under almost any rock you want to turn in this country.

The current government was also roundly criticized for raising the 'national' minimum wage to 300 baht a day! There was also a raise for civil servants who had a university degree to 15,000 baht a month. Think about it. Do these wages reflect someone who has enough income for an extravagant lifestyle?

I thought the graph in Bangkok Post was interesting because it compared the debt to the value of an equivalent number of Mercedes automobiles. I wonder how many Mercedes, legal or otherwise, are in Bangkok? Lastly, the best way to evaluate a governments debt is to compare it, as a percentage of GDP. Did I miss that in the Bangkok Post article?

While many want to skewer the current government for the rice pledging program, weren't the Democrats equally vocal on providing a similar type of subsidy to rubber farmers in the South? Only they wanted to give it to the owners of the land - not necessarily the farmer growing the rubber.

If the rice pledging program is a failure, then how do you provide a sufficient income to the agricultural sector so that farmers have the hope of some day having a middle class existence? As it stands now, the children of farmers are leaving home for the factories in Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Ranong and the other government subsidized Industrial Estates. Other countries have struggled with this question [look at Japan and their rice subsidies] and it largely depends on the government's priority to protect sustainable agricultural and independence from imports.

Edited by pookiki

Don't the farmers realise that the govt cannot pay them now, in part because of the protests going on in Bkk, in part because they do not have the authority as they are only a caretaker govt inter alia? Protesting or not, they are not going to get their money any sooner. The best is for them to hope that the current political situation is resolved quickly, a legal govt installed so that the country can resume normal workings.

Khun S, you do realise that the longer this standoff occurs, the longer it will take for your supporters to be paid? Or are you willing to sacrifice them as well?

Yes If I was you I would go talk with those rice farmers and tell them what you think! the cheek of them to show their gratitude to PTP for the rice scheme in this way!

Edited by ggold

Don't the farmers realise that the govt cannot pay them now, in part because of the protests going on in Bkk, in part because they do not have the authority as they are only a caretaker govt inter alia?

The bold text...

Based on your moniker, I presume that English is not your first language. I will therefore excuse your miscomprehension of "in part".

Is it not a fact that the protests have stopped certain ministries from being able to exercise their duties and responsibilities?

Is it not a fact that the protests are causing delays in the announcement of the election results?

In fact, is it not a fact that the protests are the main cause for YL to dissolve parliament, thus making them only the caretaker govt now?

Next time, before calling someone a liar, make sure that you have the facts that you need to make even a prima facie case.

Don't the farmers realise that the govt cannot pay them now, in part because of the protests going on in Bkk, in part because they do not have the authority as they are only a caretaker govt inter alia? Protesting or not, they are not going to get their money any sooner. The best is for them to hope that the current political situation is resolved quickly, a legal govt installed so that the country can resume normal workings.

Khun S, you do realise that the longer this standoff occurs, the longer it will take for your supporters to be paid? Or are you willing to sacrifice them as well?

Failing to pay the farmers is the solely the fault of the government -nobody else. Suthep and his gang were demonstrating long before the election was called, and it was government incompetence that was responsible for no rice money being available.

Sure the farmers realise there is no money available, but like the Suthep demonstrators, they are hoping to get Yingluk to resign, which may make way for dialogue on the country's problems before any new election. That or a coup, which would provide breathing space to allow for a better and fairer Thailand.

I don't disagree that it's the fault of the govt, in the first instance. But I also happen to read daily that they are running around trying to raise the money TO PAY the farmers. I also happened to read that Khun S is actively trying to prevent the govt from achieving this goal.

Are you more interested in finger pointing than looking for a workable solution?

Are you more interested in finger pointing than looking for a workable solution?

If the rice scheme had been workable there might have been a solution, But from the start the scam was doomed to fail. As it has! Maybe you should ask why the PTP could not pay the rice farmers since October?

• Like 1

The caretaker govt is not allowed by law to pay the farmers from the govt coffers. What's so interesting about that? What is more interesting is that the PDRC is ACTIVELY preventing the farmers from being paid by threatening those who might be willing to ease the farmers' plight.

OH I thought it was because the banks were worried about the legality of the previous loan auction the caretaker Government held last week? The banks felt the risks were to great financially and politically!

Yes, that is why the first round of the bond auction was unsuccessful.

But do you disagree that Khun S threatened the banks against lending any money to the govt to pay the farmers? The report is on TV - go search for it.

Failing to pay the farmers is the solely the fault of the government -nobody else. Suthep and his gang were demonstrating long before the election was called, and it was government incompetence that was responsible for no rice money being available.

Sure the farmers realise there is no money available, but like the Suthep demonstrators, they are hoping to get Yingluk to resign, which may make way for dialogue on the country's problems before any new election. That or a coup, which would provide breathing space to allow for a better and fairer Thailand.

I don't disagree that it's the fault of the govt, in the first instance. But I also happen to read daily that they are running around trying to raise the money TO PAY the farmers. I also happened to read that Khun S is actively trying to prevent the govt from achieving this goal.

If the rice scheme had been workable there might have been a solution, But from the start the scam was doomed to fail. As it has! Maybe you should ask why the PTP could not pay the rice farmers since October?

Nice try...not.

So you are saying that there is no solution? In the whole of my career, I have always looked for the solution rather than crying about the problem. And I have always managed to find "a" solution.

now i want you to try and remember this brains....prdc do not need to stop it its illegal as there is no government...it was due in october wasnt it..but you already know that dont you,...your lies dont do your credibility any good..the ec also didnt stop them but warned them...now i want you tomorrow to go to every bank and ask them why they are dragging their feet over lending yingy the money...can you guess why..theres a lollypop in it for the nearest correct answer...wai2.gif

• Like 2

My guess is, if they want to see their money, it's best to get the rice back.

Knowing Thai's, once you give them money, they never give it back,

but not so sure about staple goods?

I must of overlooked the info concerning where is the money from the rice that has sold?

I've seen that some payments have been made, but certainly this admin wasn't naive enough

to hold onto the rice, knowing the farmers need to be compensated, were they?

There's most likely speculation about the money,

but I don't see more noise being made about anyone tracking the money.

Just hope the banks continue to hold their resistance to loan any money,

towards this massive scandal of great proportions.

I don't think they can give the rice back. There would be a raft of complaints about receiving rice of lesser or degraded quality and if they did there'd still be a massive glut to deal with that is going to depress prices horribly.

Only way out is to pay up and sell the ridiculous stockpile for whatever they can get. Even that will be a pain as other governments may domain about dumping.

With a scandal of these proportions it speaks volumes that no heads have rolled in Phuea Thai.

For the sake of the party but far more importantly the country Kittirat must be the first to go. It was his responsibilty to ensure the thieves left enough in the pot to pay the farmers and his constant lying to the international markets, foreign governments and even his own people is just not acceptable.

My guess is, if they want to see their money, it's best to get the rice back.

Knowing Thai's, once you give them money, they never give it back,

but not so sure about staple goods?

I must of overlooked the info concerning where is the money from the rice that has sold?

I've seen that some payments have been made, but certainly this admin wasn't naive enough

to hold onto the rice, knowing the farmers need to be compensated, were they?

There's most likely speculation about the money,

but I don't see more noise being made about anyone tracking the money.

Just hope the banks continue to hold their resistance to loan any money,

towards this massive scandal of great proportions.

I don't think they can give the rice back. There would be a raft of complaints about receiving rice of lesser or degraded quality and if they did there'd still be a massive glut to deal with that is going to depress prices horribly.

Only way out is to pay up and sell the ridiculous stockpile for whatever they can get. Even that will be a pain as other governments may domain about dumping.

With a scandal of these proportions it speaks volumes that no heads have rolled in Phuea Thai.

We were promised a head would roll! unfortunately Chalerm never went through with the offer!

We've had how many months of this and still we have the continual drum being beaten by those brainwashed by local radio or their wives or both in the North and East.

The farmers will put an end to the charade.... And many of them are from the North and East. They are hurting, they've had enough and the Shin are about to be deserted.

• Like 1

now i want you to try and remember this brains....prdc do not need to stop it its illegal as there is no government...it was due in october wasnt it..but you already know that dont you,...your lies dont do your credibility any good..the ec also didnt stop them but warned them...now i want you tomorrow to go to every bank and ask them why they are dragging their feet over lending yingy the money...can you guess why..theres a lollypop in it for the nearest correct answer...wai2.gif

Sigh... is everything that you disagree with a lie?

You said that the PDRC (not prdc) do not need to stop it as it is illegal. Why then does your dear leader feel the need to threaten the banks?

well hes not my leader im not thai..my earlier post explains why if you wish to re-read from the beginning.wai2.gif if you know the solution why not give yingers a bell and tell her how you would sort her mess out..you might get a thank you 3 times off her.

• Like 1

But do you disagree that Khun S threatened the banks against lending any money to the govt to pay the farmers? The report is on TV - go search for it.

I think it is something that the banks have already decided, that is not to loan the government the money, Even the bank unions have been very loud in their criticism of the government trying to get BAAC to pay out money form it's own reserves! What Suthep has said is just propaganda for his followers.

The government got themselves into this mess, I am sure if they could walk into a bank and take the money they would! Legally they can't borrow any money that any future government may have to take responsibility for.

The rice scheme should be scrapped, the farmers told the truth and when/if a new government is in power they will have to support the farmers till they can get back on their feet.

But that would mean the end of PTP and that is something that must be lingering in the back of PTP minds! Just when do they pack their bags and run off to Dubai?

Nice try...not.

So you are saying that there is no solution? In the whole of my career, I have always looked for the solution rather than crying about the problem. And I have always managed to find "a" solution.

read my post number 84

I think it is something that the banks have already decided, that is not to loan the government the money, Even the bank unions have been very loud in their criticism of the government trying to get BAAC to pay out money form it's own reserves! What Suthep has said is just propaganda for his followers.

The government got themselves into this mess, I am sure if they could walk into a bank and take the money they would! Legally they can't borrow any money that any future government may have to take responsibility for.

The rice scheme should be scrapped, the farmers told the truth and when/if a new government is in power they will have to support the farmers till they can get back on their feet.

But that would mean the end of PTP and that is something that must be lingering in the back of PTP minds! Just when do they pack their bags and run off to Dubai?

Thanks for the constructive reply.

Yes, if I were the bank's CEO, I would also think long and hard about lending any money to a caretaker govt, especially in light of the current situation.

Govt got themselves into this mess - agreed

Rice scheme should be scrapped - agreed

End of PTP - maybe, maybe not

BUT, a solution has to be found. And Suthep (propaganda or not) is becoming part of the problem. Instead of the incessant attacks on YL, maybe he should maybe focus some thought towards solving one of many huge problems facing the country - how and when to pay the rice farmers - rather than blatantly be seen to blocking a solution.

Yes, if I were the bank's CEO, I would also think long and hard about lending any money to a caretaker govt, especially in light of the current situation.

BUT, a solution has to be found. And Suthep (propaganda or not) is becoming part of the problem. Instead of the incessant attacks on YL, maybe he should maybe focus some thought towards solving one of many huge problems facing the country - how and when to pay the rice farmers - rather than blatantly be seen to blocking a solution.

Can't you accept that the government have lied about the rice scheme, they have not sold any rice on a government 2 government basis as they have claimed! they paid too much for the rice, they could sell it but not at a price that recovers what they paid. It is quit possible that the old stocks are now beginning to rot, so it may be that they can't even sell that at a give away price!

So how can anyone lend them money thinking it will be paid back! that is where the 2 trillion infrastructure plan came in, to cover the loses from the rice scam!

To find a solution you have to admit the problem first, before a solution can be applied or all you do is continue the lie! In other words you don't throw good money at a bad money trying to save something not worth the paper it was printed on!

If her ladyship had not acted in such haste in calling an election. her administration would have realised they needed to provide for the farmers, by whatever means were possible, which they were prevented from doing once the Royal decree had been issued.

Seems like there was a serious lack of coordination within the government. A cabinet resolution to approve an emergency increase to the budget before Yingluck dissolved parliament would have fixed this. There also seems to have been a lack of communication between the Finance and Commerce Ministries. Finance was under the illusion that Commerce was going to transfer significant cash flows from the large two government to government rice sales to China in time to pay some of what they owed to farmers. Commerce was coy about disclosing that the sales had never taken place.

Before the dissolution of parliament Finance had a debt auction blow up in its face where it raised only about half of a cB50bn auction. So Kittirat already knew there was a shortfall, even if the Commerce Ministry had delivered. Basically a complete b*uggers' muddle.

So you could say that an effort to save face by a small group of people has blown up in the faces of the whole corrupt bunch leading to huge loss of face for all. WICKED ! Face is one of the biggest problems these people need to try and overcome to become a properly functioning democracy in the future. People must be held accountable for all their actions...

You actually think they are real rice farmers ??

Rice farmers know full well, the quicker the new government is sorted out the quicker they get paid. Which is why in all the major "RICE GROWING" areas of Thailand the election went well.

Now, in the Palm Oil and Rubber farmer area's of Thailand the election was held up.

Kind of suggest they are farmers blocking roads, but not rice farmers....................... cheesy.gif

All in my opinion of course................

And your opinion is completely wrong as seems to be usual for you....

After 11 years of Thaksin control the young and educated people from Thailand are demanding a change. They refuse to accept that the dictator in Dubai should continue to ruin the country.

The rice farmers always sell their souls to the devil no matter who he is. This time their love for themselves came back to bite them in the arse badly. Now do you see Thaksin sending money to pay them back. the BOT rightly recommended selling rice at a loss to pay the farmers. Do you see the greedy evil people in the government trying to do this. They don't even know where the rice is let alone how much they have. Bloody amazing.

• Like 1

Had the PTP been transparent and honest with the figures regarding the sales of the pledged rice from day one, then it is possible we/they would not be in this position at this moment.

From the start the Finance and Commerce Ministers were telling lies, white lies and fat fibs regarding the sales value of rice they had supposedly sold and to whom. What we have now is what is known by some people as the 6 Pees. PPPPPP

- Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. If the money from rice sales actually existed, the PTP would have been able to pay the farmers. Even if they had paid them a percentage of what they were owed to tide them over. What we now have is a near bankrupt caretaker government desperately trying to keep their heads above water financially.

Thaitanic hit the riceberg and now the crew is scrambling to stay alive even with life vests (the election)

Meanwhile there is a lack of rescue vessels on the horizon. People were saying this months ago and the predictions have come true.

Suthep and his bands of "fascist thugs" ph34r.png have actually been merely disruptive as they watched the ship of state speeding towards disaster. PTP were at the controls.

Thaitanic hit the riceberg - superb metaphore sir, very poetic ! Like the 'poetic justice' that is coming to the PT crooks in due course....

Can't you accept that the government have lied about the rice scheme, they have not sold any rice on a government 2 government basis as they have claimed! they paid too much for the rice, they could sell it but not at a price that recovers what they paid. It is quit possible that the old stocks are now beginning to rot, so it may be that they can't even sell that at a give away price!

So how can anyone lend them money thinking it will be paid back! that is where the 2 trillion infrastructure plan came in, to cover the loses from the rice scam!

To find a solution you have to admit the problem first, before a solution can be applied or all you do is continue the lie! In other words you don't throw good money at a bad money trying to save something not worth the paper it was printed on!

We are getting away from the original topic but I am honour bound to respond to valid points.

Has the govt lied about the G2G sales? I do not know, but then, neither do you for a fact. At this point in time, no one can prove this conclusively.

They paid too much for the rice - yes, they made some very poor financial and fiscal decisions, overestimating their influence over the world market. Some very clever people (including Warren Buffett, Bill Gates and Richard Branson) have also made some bad business decisions.

Lending money, being paid back - we are not talking about individual, person to person loans here. Most countries operate a trade deficit. Loans are not paid back in the lifetimes of the respective presidents / prime ministers. Think of it like a revolving loan without a maturity period. Also, loans, regardless of purpose, are used to pay whatever is needed to be paid. Do you think that your road tax only goes to pay for road maintenance?

A solution has to be found. There is no escaping that. Everything else is just beating about the bush.

facepalm.gif Now the fun begins...clap2.gif.......whistling.gif ........wai2.gif

Dear god...how many times have I read this in past weeks.....only no fun has begun...no games either and no raging battles.....nor has anyone kicked anything off of anything yet.

Except Chuvit...he kicked someones head in...good on him.

Well this is the point, there is no money in the government coffers because it has wasted so much on the rice scam and the crooks and cronies working for the fugitive in Dubai gave at least 30 billion of it to him ( that has been admitted ) and stole the rest for themselves...The PDRC is doing nothing to prevent payments, the constitution that the government keeps trying to hide behind ( despite previously trying to ignore for the amnesty bullshit bill etc ) says that they can not seek alternative payments whilst caretakers as it will affect whoever is the next government. As soon as there is a government one way or the other they can look for loans to pay the farmers. Again the point is this shouldn't be necessary in the first place if PT had proper fiscal discipline instead of pissing money away on populist policies to make the farmers vote for them and participating in rampant corruption...

Can you reply to any post objectively without mentioning corruption, Dubai etc? It just makes you sound like a raving lunatic, not unlike many of the speakers on stage that I have to endure nightly.

Southern farmers take advantage of the PT rice scheme but vote for the Dems.

Southern farmers follow Suthep to overthrow the elected government.

Then southern farmers realise that because the government gave in to the protesters and called for snap elections... they can't get their money.

Now Southern farmers block their own roads to get their money...

Somebody should advise them to vote PT in the future... Much less trouble for sure :lol:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After 11 years of Thaksin control the young and educated people from Thailand are demanding a change. They refuse to accept that the dictator in Dubai should continue to ruin the country.

The rice farmers always sell their souls to the devil no matter who he is. This time their love for themselves came back to bite them in the arse badly. Now do you see Thaksin sending money to pay them back. the BOT rightly recommended selling rice at a loss to pay the farmers. Do you see the greedy evil people in the government trying to do this. They don't even know where the rice is let alone how much they have. Bloody amazing.

Thaksin is not smart in playing commodities as he imagined he was. He was only successful in businesses where he had paid massive bribes to ensure their was no fair competition. The first rule of this type of speculation is to cut losses as soon as your original strategy is proved wrong before the losses mount. But they are caught like rabbits in the headlights still pretending that their position will be saved by some miracle. In the world of futures you can at least roll over your losing position at a cost but these people are playing on margin with perishable deliverables. Some of the position will end up worthless but that's Ok for them because margin is provided unwittingly by subsistence level farmers.

If there's a god in heaven, these people will surely burn in hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand