Farmers close Bangkok-South road to demand payment for rice

Lite Beer

I encountered this roadblock on the way to Kaeng Krachan on Sunday. A message to these farmers. You get the government you deserve. You've sold your vote for a few hundred Baht to corrupt politicians for decades and now your chickens have come home to roost. They've stolen your rice AND your money. What in Earth did you think would happen?

Som Nam Na!

This does, unfortunately, seem to be the reality. They allowed a bunch of crooks led by a convicted fugitive to run the country, for a gift of a few hundred Baht. Now the crooks are laughing daily all the way to the bank while the farmers go hungry.

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rice farmer protest closes Phuket highway to Bangkok
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_201423163136664_zqitQZnIASSvt
Farmers have closed the highway linking Bangkok with Phuket and the rest of the South to protest the lack of payments made under the rice-pledging scheme. Photo: The Nation

PHUKET: -- The main highway linking Bangkok to Phuket and the rest of Southern Thailand has been closed by rice farmers protesting the government’s failure to pay for rice produced and delivered under the controversial rice-pledging scheme.

The blockade is in effect on Petchkasem Road in Ratchaburi, about 100km west of Bangkok.

State news agency MCOT reported that the farmers staging the blockade are from the provinces Ratcha Buri, Kanchanaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Songkram and Suphan Buri.

The blockade affects all traffic travelling between the capital and Hua Hin, Samui and Phuket, as well as the rest of Southern Thailand.

Farmers at the protest site, estimated at more than 1,000, said they would keep the highway closed until they received payment from the government.

While battling the ongoing street protests in Bangkok, Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra is also under investigation by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) for her role in the government’s rice-pledging scheme.

Under the scheme, the government pledged to pay rice farmers double the market rate per tonne of rice with the plan of stockpiling the rice and selling it at a premium later on.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Rice-farmer-protest-closes-Phuket-highway-to-Bangkok-24497.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-03

Don't the farmers realise that the govt cannot pay them now, in part because of the protests going on in Bkk, in part because they do not have the authority as they are only a caretaker govt inter alia? Protesting or not, they are not going to get their money any sooner. The best is for them to hope that the current political situation is resolved quickly, a legal govt installed so that the country can resume normal workings.

Khun S, you do realise that the longer this standoff occurs, the longer it will take for your supporters to be paid? Or are you willing to sacrifice them as well?

Stupid people!! All the money [and man power] that was wasted on the protests could have paid the rice debt many times over................but, no, because protests are much more fun!!

More relevantly the money wasted on the election would have paid the farmers.

Wasted...YES...because the caretaker government have been told daily that they will be unable to form an administration with less that 95% of party seats allocated. But her ladyship and big brother dont care!. They are not waiting for cash to care for their families like tens of thousands are! SHAME SHAME SHAME!

• Like 2

I think Thaksin is smiling quite openly these days - the rice fiasco is his baby and is all part of his major plan to get even. In other words if he can't come home then he will cripple the country and bring it to its knees. Not doing too bad a job of it I'd say.

If Thaksin didn't love Thailand so much some people might think that maybe he was still secretly working for Hun Sen...... coffee1.gif

Don't the farmers realise that the govt cannot pay them now, in part because of the protests going on in Bkk, in part because they do not have the authority as they are only a caretaker govt inter alia? Protesting or not, they are not going to get their money any sooner. The best is for them to hope that the current political situation is resolved quickly, a legal govt installed so that the country can resume normal workings.

Khun S, you do realise that the longer this standoff occurs, the longer it will take for your supporters to be paid? Or are you willing to sacrifice them as well?

Failing to pay the farmers is the solely the fault of the government -nobody else. Suthep and his gang were demonstrating long before the election was called, and it was government incompetence that was responsible for no rice money being available.

Sure the farmers realise there is no money available, but like the Suthep demonstrators, they are hoping to get Yingluk to resign, which may make way for dialogue on the country's problems before any new election. That or a coup, which would provide breathing space to allow for a better and fairer Thailand.

• Like 2

Suthep and all the protesters in Bangkok could go home today. The farmers and the Anti-Corruption Commission will accomplish the "de-thaksinization" process that the protesters started with the Amnesty Bill.

Google "A rotten harvest" on Bangkok Post for the latest analysis of the situation.

(If I understand it correctly, it's not allowed to post links to BP)

Can they go home, if this road is blocked?

Do you actually think the protesters all come from down south ? Did it ever occur to you that they come from Bangkok and even places north of Bangkok ?

You actually think they are real rice farmers ??

Rice farmers know full well, the quicker the new government is sorted out the quicker they get paid. Which is why in all the major "RICE GROWING" areas of Thailand the election went well.

Now, in the Palm Oil and Rubber farmer area's of Thailand the election was held up.

Kind of suggest they are farmers blocking roads, but not rice farmers....................... cheesy.gif

All in my opinion of course................

Suthep and all the protesters in Bangkok could go home today. The farmers and the Anti-Corruption Commission will accomplish the "de-thaksinization" process that the protesters started with the Amnesty Bill.

Google "A rotten harvest" on Bangkok Post for the latest analysis of the situation.

From the above, they have spend $22 billion on rice. That could be the worlds most expensive experiment, moving the Large Hadron Collider to second place.

With a budget of 7.5 billion euros (approx. $9bn or £6.19bn as of Jun 2010), the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is one of the most expensive scientific instruments[90] ever built.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

It's not that exceptional; In 2010, the EU spent €57 billion on agricultural development, of which €39 billion was spent on direct subsidies.

A lot of that is also frauded away ending up in the wrong pockets same as in Thailand.

I am sure the longer the protests go on the bigger the rice $ figure will be from the Bangkok Post totally biased writers................

It started at 200 billion baht, now the protests are going wrong, everyone is leaving and the election is proceeding its now 800 billion baht.

If the Constitution Court does not annul the elections I am sure it will move to be 8 Trillion Baht, and if YL is still PM in 6 weeks then probably headlines of 8000 Trillion Baht will not be far away.

LOL cheesy.gif

All in my opinion of course.

From the above, they have spend $22 billion on rice. That could be the worlds most expensive experiment, moving the Large Hadron Collider to second place.

With a budget of 7.5 billion euros (approx. $9bn or £6.19bn as of Jun 2010), the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is one of the most expensive scientific instruments[90] ever built.

It's not that exceptional; In 2010, the EU spent €57 billion on agricultural development, of which €39 billion was spent on direct subsidies.

A lot of that is also frauded away ending up in the wrong pockets same as in Thailand.

Yes, around the world direct subsidies to farming run into the many billions of dollars, its all very normal.

I think the whistle blowers want a direct subsidy for all Bangkokians to cosmetic surgery, skin whitening lotions and spa's - perhaps this will be the PDRC main platform for an election win ? cheesy.gif

In my opinion only.

• Like 1

Failing to pay the farmers is the solely the fault of the government -nobody else. Suthep and his gang were demonstrating long before the election was called, and it was government incompetence that was responsible for no rice money being available.

Sure the farmers realise there is no money available, but like the Suthep demonstrators, they are hoping to get Yingluk to resign, which may make way for dialogue on the country's problems before any new election. That or a coup, which would provide breathing space to allow for a better and fairer Thailand.

I don't disagree that it's the fault of the govt, in the first instance. But I also happen to read daily that they are running around trying to raise the money TO PAY the farmers. I also happened to read that Khun S is actively trying to prevent the govt from achieving this goal.

Are you more interested in finger pointing than looking for a workable solution?

The faster Yingluck goes, the faster farmers been paid.

Because Suthep promise to pay farmers with money to be seize from Yingluck.

... and if that fails he is such a nice guy that he'll pay them directly from the cash donations he's been collecting on his marches over the past few weeks,... must be into the billions already!

Not really as the budget for having the sites was 5-6 million a day, for free food, water and even a cup of coffee is there...

Welcome to the short term country, unfortunately for Thai people and I am married to one who is fantastic there whole outlook is fast buck today

We once exported up to 4 containers a month from here, now nothing , in Vietnam they look at big picture and try to grow business

I love it here, and will die here , but even govt short sighted charging for business visas

Rice farmers looked short term, tourism will start to drop with Myanmar emerging

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Can they go home, if this road is blocked?

They are building an angry birds style sling-shot.

• Like 1

This doesn't seem good for tourism in Hua Hin, Chumpon, Khao Tao, Khao Phagnan and all other resorts that rely on tourists coming South on that road. Was planning to go to Hua Hin myself this week-end.

The roadblock is at the intersection Rama II (highway 35) and Phet Kaseem (highway 4) it will take You roughly 20 minutes extra time to get around it, I just did yesterday... It's just a roadblock, it will take You through Wang Manao...

If You drive by yourself, then just after Samut Songkhram just pass the river Mae Klong - there is a shortcut to Cha Am Beach at the small PTT gas station on Your left hand side (72 km stone) - it is in fact a shortcut 86 km to Cha Am, but honestly also a very curvy road and slow, but it will get You passed the roadblock...

• Like 1

Can I eat it?

It seems buyers are asking the same question about the government's rice.

And how many times larger is the GDP of the EU compared to Thailand? Approximately 50 times - sort of puts the figures in perspective, what.

• Like 1

If the government stops all subsides there financial problems will be fixed. Inflation might (will) go through the roof but the rice farmers will be paid

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

It's interesting to see that when Thai don't get what ever they want,

they just block anyone from getting around.

Does anyone know if shipping trucks are permitted to pass?

Ask the French farmers. They've been doing it for years.

• Like 1

They (northerners) are not protesting because the UDD are intimidation them and not letting them practice that principle of democracy.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1EazVNamczTUE9PQ%3D%3D&sectionid=TURVd01BPT0%3D

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

yes, it's true. Not everywhere, but most of the villages people get/got intimidated. When they were here in Bangkok the reds set up "hong muet" (dark rooms) to beat and torture their own, according to an organizer who managed 5000 from a province for Bangkok. They were afraid to get interrupted by their own people.

This can eventually be verified, but nobody is really interested.

Edited by wealth

The protestors I have seen in Bangkok don't look like ultr...s to me. They look like fairly ordinary Bangkok and Southern Thais. Unlike the PAD demonstrators of 2006 and 2008 they are not invoking HMK by carrying around large portraits of him. The vast majority of red shirts are also loyal to the King and virtually all will certainly have portraits of him in their homes. "Ultrar...t" is a ridiculous term coined by bone-headed foreign reporters who probably harbour republican and Thaksinite sentiments. They also call them "yellow shirts" although there are hardly any yellow shirts to be seen.

But what reporter would let the truth get in the way of a good story.

unlike in the past, street protests are somehow more sophisticated, beyond wearing any colours, portraits, so everybody looks the same, like "fairly ordinary" thai. It's not about loyalty or disloyalty to anybody, but about their policies, methods they use to achieve those goals and backers they have at high places.

the "ultras" is used widely by different journalists, including afp and nation alike, about sonthi and now about suthep.

Edited by londonthai

Don't posters like Gweiloman realise, that they are posting nonsense at best, bloody lies at worst? The farmers are waiting since about five (5) months for their money, the parliament dissolution was about 2 months ago. So by plain mathematics, that translates into 3 month BEFORE the protest/dissolutions the government wasn't paying up.

And if the government hasn't gotten the financial means to hang on for the time until the next government is up and running, then they should not have dissolved parliament in the first place. I guess the PTP folks are second to none, when it comes to corruption but last, when it comes to understand the way how a parliament works. Too bad, that comes back, haunting them...

Which part of my post is a lie?

The faster Yingluck goes, the faster farmers been paid.

Because Suthep promise to pay farmers with money to be seize from Yingluck.

Suthep or no their is zero money to be had just look back at the other claims made by the almighty mr S besides any personal fortunes have been stashed away weeks ago