Farmers close Bangkok-South road to demand payment for rice

Lite Beer

BREAKING

Farmers close Bangkok-South road to demand payment for rice
By Digital Content

13914096958699-640x390x2.jpg

Major roads from/to Hua Hin, Samui, Phuket and the whole of Southern Thailand affected

RATCHBURI, Feb 3 – The road linking Bangkok and Thailand’s South was completely blockaded in Wang Manao sub-district today in a strengthened protest by disgruntled farmers who demanded the government’s payment for the rice they have sold.

The farmers from six southwestern provinces of Ratchburi, Kanchanaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchburi, Nakhon Pathom and Samut Songkram wanted the government to pay for the rice they have delivered under the Yingluck Shinawatra government’s rice pledging scheme.

Rama II Road was closed on both sides at kms 83-84 in Wang Manao sub-district of Pak Tho district, disrupting traffic between Bangkok and 14 southern provinces.

Farmers said the road would remain blocked until they received payment from the government.

More farmers and supporters of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee have joined the rally which was kicked off Saturday. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-03

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is, if they want to see their money, it's best to get the rice back.

Knowing Thai's, once you give them money, they never give it back,

but not so sure about staple goods?

I must of overlooked the info concerning where is the money from the rice that has sold?

I've seen that some payments have been made, but certainly this admin wasn't naive enough

to hold onto the rice, knowing the farmers need to be compensated, were they?

There's most likely speculation about the money,

but I don't see more noise being made about anyone tracking the money.

Just hope the banks continue to hold their resistance to loan any money,

towards this massive scandal of great proportions.

Edited by sbk

Suthep and all the protesters in Bangkok could go home today. The farmers and the Anti-Corruption Commission will accomplish the "de-thaksinization" process that the protesters started with the Amnesty Bill.

Google "A rotten harvest" on Bangkok Post for the latest analysis of the situation.

(If I understand it correctly, it's not allowed to post links to BP)

Can they go home, if this road is blocked?
  • Like 1

Suthep and all the protesters in Bangkok could go home today. The farmers and the Anti-Corruption Commission will accomplish the "de-thaksinization" process that the protesters started with the Amnesty Bill.

Google "A rotten harvest" on Bangkok Post for the latest analysis of the situation.

Thanks for the post, with regards to A Rotten Harvest info.

Just read the article,

and I have to say,

it was indeed an eye opener.

What a complete mess up with this admin.

I was total relieved the tablet scheme failed,

that was a disaster waiting to happen,

as the parents became responsible for the tablet,

and due to the poor quality of the build,

it was a guarantee the parents would be buying at least one a year,

to replace the original junk they got for free.

In the end the parents would each be buying two tablets for each child,

since the free version was said to have to last for two years.

But in reality it was more like the tablets would last six month,

at best; before burning up or getting broken from the abuse the kids put them through.

• Like 1

The faster Yingluck goes, the faster farmers been paid.

Because Suthep promise to pay farmers with money to be seize from Yingluck.

... and if that fails he is such a nice guy that he'll pay them directly from the cash donations he's been collecting on his marches over the past few weeks,... must be into the billions already!

From the above, they have spend $22 billion on rice. That could be the worlds most expensive experiment, moving the Large Hadron Collider to second place.

With a budget of 7.5 billion euros (approx. $9bn or £6.19bn as of Jun 2010), the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is one of the most expensive scientific instruments[90] ever built.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

Can I eat it?

All silent on the pro-red expat front.....hmmm, interesting.

The caretaker govt is not allowed by law to pay the farmers from the govt coffers. What's so interesting about that? What is more interesting is that the PDRC is ACTIVELY preventing the farmers from being paid by threatening those who might be willing to ease the farmers' plight.

• Like 1

From the above, they have spend $22 billion on rice. That could be the worlds most expensive experiment, moving the Large Hadron Collider to second place.

With a budget of 7.5 billion euros (approx. $9bn or £6.19bn as of Jun 2010), the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is one of the most expensive scientific instruments[90] ever built.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider)

If this is the amount of money on the rice pledging ,,,,woow it is a lot of money to Amy country how are they doing it and keep going , these numbers would even affect G7 countries

How how how