Container crushes minivan, kills driver in front of Future Park Rangsit

webfact

ACCIDENT
Container crushes minivan, kills driver

30225935-01_big.jpg
Photo : Panor Chompusri

BANGKOK: -- A container that worked its way loose from a truck fell from the tollway onto a public minivan running on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Rangsit district on Monday, killing the driver and entirely crushing the vehicle.

The accident took place in front of Future Park Rangsit department store at about 2.30pm. Police said it was fortunate that the minivan operating between Ayutthaya and the department store had no passengers at the time of the accident.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-03

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably never locked down in the first place, look at the curve in the overpass, how fast was the idiot driver going for a container to tip from the truck in the first place. People wonder why there are so many deaths on the roads in Thailand, idiot drivers that have no idea about the road rules or speed limits is a start, they are all cowboys in the trucks and buses.

Oh they have an idea alright when you get ones license, total disregard for life and not having to face responsibility for ones actions is the problem. If this happened in Australia, at least 5 years in goal and the owner operators at least 7 years in goal with a massive fine as well. PTP would do well implementing such measures. Again no rule of law or truth in sentencing lays the problem. No one has to account for ones actions... Dear dear so simple yet so hard...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's not hard to make those container trailers flip....I saw it happen about a year ago over here on the Outer Ring/#9 road in western Bangkok with one of those two container/two trailer rigs when the truck driver quickly changed lanes (quickly went from a middle lane to a left lane)....the rear trailer began flipping first and took the lead container trailer with it....both container trailers ended up laying on their sides. Fortunately no one was injured, but only because no vehicles were in the left most lane where the trailers flipped and ended up on their side. Just stupid driving.

Most likely the Container was not locked down to the corners of the trailer, normally the drivers job depending on where he picked it up from.

RIP the van driver but if you ask most Thai's, their reaction will be 'It was his time'. No thoughts about blaming anyone or expecting 'justice'.

• Like 1

It's not hard to make those container trailers flip....I saw it happen about a year ago over here on the Outer Ring/#9 road in western Bangkok with one of those two container/two trailer rigs when the truck driver quickly changed lanes (quickly went from a middle lane to a left lane)....the rear trailer began flipping first and took the lead container trailer with it....both container trailers ended up laying on their sides. Fortunately no one was injured, but only because no vehicles were in the left most lane where the trailers flipped and ended up on their side. Just stupid driving.

Yes, I've seen the same, but in this instance the container is not on the trailer, meaning it was not secured, four large bolts don't work themselves loose simultaneously.

I've seen that too, quite a few times.

RIP to the van driver, I expect it would have been mercifully quick though.

This stuff really only happens in Thailand. Sometimes this place is just so surreal.

This "stuff" really happens everywhere, globally, take your pick:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=news+reports+of+containers+crushing+cars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=hXnvUu7HIMWQigfg_4CYBw

• Like 1

Why doesn't this surprise me? For a long time now I've always thought about the possibility of a container coming loose from a trailer here in Thailand. Sometimes you don't even have anything holding the containers in place from my observations, the containers are simply placed on top of the trailer with no bolts as supports to prevent motion...a sudden maneuver and the container will come off.

This has got to be the unluckiest accident ever...the van driver had absolutely no idea what was coming, nor did he do anything wrong other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and yet, while the possibility of such an accident seems so remote, even the most unlikely scenario crops up more often than you would expect on Thai roads.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

This is horrible. Sounds unbelievable. I've never heard of something like this happening.

Twice now in the last 6 months JimJim...

Second incident this WEEK!!!.....around Lam Chabang....van with 22 kids on way to school....very lucky, no one killed!

Incredibly bad luck...RIP to the van driver...that had to be one very messy clean up, feel bad for the guys who had to do that...sheesh.

The containers should be secured in the corners to the chassis, think it is pretty standard setup worldwide.

Incredibly bad luck...RIP to the van driver...that had to be one very messy clean up, feel bad for the guys who had to do that...sheesh.

The containers should be secured in the corners to the chassis, think it is pretty standard setup worldwide.

Guess GAS that Thailand ain't worldwide. Third highest death and accident ratio in the world. High time the government paid police a decent wage so they wouldn't have to or accept bribes for their lively hood. Have to pay for own uniform, side arm, and bike.. What a joke.

Apart from the box not being fastened down..we've all seen the way Thai truck drivers just HAVE to swing their vehicles out to pass the vehicle in front..creating a kind of whiplash effect on the trailer being towed..they slew the vehicle to the right (always without warning), to get over to the next lane, then immediately correct the action with an equally harsh motion..then they wonder why 10 seconds later they're viewing the scenery from a sideways angle.. clap2.gif

I agree GAS, condolences to the innocent van driver.

As to the accident if the container was travelling on an approved trailer chassis with standard corner locking mechanisms post-9891-0-08448300-1391428410_thumb.jp used internationally on trucks, trains and ships, then it is doubtful the container would have shifted.

The photo angle suggests he was not on the actual " Uttaraphimuk Elevated Tollway" but on one of the elevated

ramps leading to or from PathumThani west or east. Perhaps he was taking the curve too fast and the container shifted with fatal results. The potential for more deaths in that very busy area is incredible. IMHO.

• Like 1

Guess GAS that Thailand ain't worldwide. Third highest death and accident ratio in the world. High time the government paid police a decent wage so they wouldn't have to or accept bribes for their lively hood. Have to pay for own uniform, side arm, and bike.. What a joke.

Knowing how things are with so many Thai people, you give them triple money a month it would go in the bank, and things would be the same--they run a franchise like 7-11. how can they give up the perks. most do not know how to police properly-look after the citizens, no way

I drive these containers in the US - not hard to flip them off the chassis if you don't lock it down. They are basically just sitting on top of the chassis, only touching in the four corners. They fall off and kill people occasionally in the US too. I recommend steering clear of these types of trucks altogether... there's plenty of careless drivers in any country.

We've got tons of imported drivers in the US now too, and they have imported some slack safety standards for themselves to say the least...

That isn't bad luck, its criminal negligence.

• Like 1

I live along a main road that is the connection between the container storage park and the Laem Chabang deep sea port, so I see hundreds of trucks with loaded containers pass daily. They drive at a speed that I have a hard time to keep up with my truck.

I still have to see the first that has been secured on the trailer.