Risky or not?

On my last entry into Thailand, under "ADMITTED UNTIL" the immigration officer accidently wrote the date of 7th February 2018 ! Wonder how valid that is ?

It is not valid and you would be on overstay, despite being it their mistake you should now better.

Maybe this is a good time for people who are not retired to work a little harder in their own country now to avoid this situation which so many Brits seem to have here in LOS. No more $$$ and some crappy pension. Saving more when you are in your 30's and 40's and setting up some financial investments for your future are extremely important. Don't just rely on a meager pension. This plan seems to fail all the time.

• Like 1

I believe Thailand Long Stay provides also a similar service without the need of the capital. And they are owned (or sponsored) by TAT.

Not only people without the money use those services, but also those who don't want to go through the procedure of transferring the money and have it sit in the account for 3 months.

You have to have the money or income proof yourself.

In order to apply for a TLM membership package, a person must meet the following requirements

- Being 50 year old or older

- Have a Thai bank account with a minimum deposit of 800,000 Baht at least 2 months in the first year and 3 months for the second year

- Or a pension letter or an evidence of other sources of income that proves a monthly income of more than 65,000 baht per month. These documents need to be certified by the embassy.

- 2 original bank guarantee letters (in Thai) stating the amount of money in your bank account

Their website is on this forum so it has been checked out?

The answer is no.

They are not a sponsor of the forum. Just a Google ad that comes up.

Well, maybe so. But go to their website, and look at their map. They are located between The Blackbush Bar and The Pussycat Club. How can you get more legit than that?

• Like 1

A basic question: I know that if you use the income method the money has to come from overseas. If you use the 800k in the bank method, Iis there any reference in the law that states that there has to be proof that the money in the account has come from overseas, or only that it has been properly seasoned. If so please provide a link to the requirement. I keep reading that it is illegal to borrow money to put in your account to satisfy the requirement but can't find any reference that says that it is..

The only time proof of it coming from outside the country is to do a conversion from a tourist visa or exempt entry to a non immigrant visa entry based upon retirement.

They started the seasoning requirement to prevent or at least make it a lot more costly for somebody to borrow the money.

The reports for the extension mentioned by the OP were that they were taken to a bank and opened an account and somehow the bank book showed money being in the bank long enough.and a letter stating money was in the bank.. Then the agent took the passport and etc. to immigration and got the extension done.

Perhaps not exactly illegal but very close to it and at the least very questionable.

Let's make no bones about it, it is corruption. The same as the fastrack entry at Poipet into Cambodia, same as Chong Chom charging 1,300 Baht for a visa run. Welcome to Thailand smile.png

We don't have to condone it - but we do need to be aware of it.

It is OK for people to sneer at these visa arrangements (that may cost as little as 12,000 Baht) but at the end of the day an entry stamp is an entry stamp and cannot be "illegal" even if it was stamped as part of a non-legitimate process.

Sorry you are wrong. An entry stamp is not an entry stamp! There are people out there that make fake stamps. If caught with a fake stamp you can have some problems. You need to be careful not to use someone that might stamp your passport themselves. There was a big crackdown on this back 12-13 years ago. Dont think there are that many people making fake stamps anymore, but sure there are still some.

If you are an OAP, all you need is a letter from the DWP to show you are receiving the state pension, you will get a retirement extension. Mate from UK has just cone so through the Thai embassy London.

That would be a multiple entry visa not an extension of stay.

You have to make border runs every 90 days with it.

If you are an OAP, all you need is a letter from the DWP to show you are receiving the state pension, you will get a retirement extension. Mate from UK has just cone so through the Thai embassy London.

That would be a multiple entry visa not an extension of stay.

You have to make border runs every 90 days with it.

.... and (I think) only available from the UK so no use to the OP.

A friend did the same12 months ago just by showing 28,000 Baht p.m. equivalent from state pension. He is now full time in the UK - rather like the OP - and is paying 12,000 Baht for a retirement extension.

should really be unecessary to use agencies for visas. The system is in place, for example in the USA. A few minutes at the Thai Consulate/phone call/Website...should get you in tune. My Government refuses to utilize agencies to do a service that should be free to a citizen (of course the visa has fees...I am only talking about fees over and above). For example, you would still need to get all the paperwork, get your passport, make photos, gathering original documents...etc. etc. What is the agency actually doing? Possibly just assembling everything with a paperclip and bringing it to the consulate for you.

A basic question: I know that if you use the income method the money has to come from overseas. If you use the 800k in the bank method, Iis there any reference in the law that states that there has to be proof that the money in the account has come from overseas, or only that it has been properly seasoned. If so please provide a link to the requirement. I keep reading that it is illegal to borrow money to put in your account to satisfy the requirement but can't find any reference that says that it is..

The only time proof of it coming from outside the country is to do a conversion from a tourist visa or exempt entry to a non immigrant visa entry based upon retirement.

They started the seasoning requirement to prevent or at least make it a lot more costly for somebody to borrow the money.

The reports for the extension mentioned by the OP were that they were taken to a bank and opened an account and somehow the bank book showed money being in the bank long enough.and a letter stating money was in the bank.. Then the agent took the passport and etc. to immigration and got the extension done.

Perhaps not exactly illegal but very close to it and at the least very questionable.

Let's make no bones about it, it is corruption. The same as the fastrack entry at Poipet into Cambodia, same as Chong Chom charging 1,300 Baht for a visa run. Welcome to Thailand smile.png

We don't have to condone it - but we do need to be aware of it.

It is OK for people to sneer at these visa arrangements (that may cost as little as 12,000 Baht) but at the end of the day an entry stamp is an entry stamp and cannot be "illegal" even if it was stamped as part of a non-legitimate process.

Sorry you are wrong. An entry stamp is not an entry stamp! There are people out there that make fake stamps. If caught with a fake stamp you can have some problems. You need to be careful not to use someone that might stamp your passport themselves. There was a big crackdown on this back 12-13 years ago. Dont think there are that many people making fake stamps anymore, but sure there are still some.

OK smile.png ... I should have said "Any immigration stamp is an immigration stamp...".... I have absolutely no doubt that these are 'legitimate' immigration officer stamps

PS - I quick clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif for the Mods here. This is a borderline subject and allowing to run will enable people to realise what does happen in Thailand - both on a 100% legitimate basis and also on the 'black/grey market'

Knew of one case where an individual claimed to have special powers and connections with top level diplomats, whereby you could obtain special favors and stamps in your passport. This guy was nothing but a drunk, who had a wife that had a clerical position in an office adjacent to a consulate hq. He convinced a group of expats to hand over their passports, which he placed in a paper bag on the passenger seat with his windows rolled down. No receipts....but everyone paid. Next morning he walked in the coffee shop with a hangover and a worried expression. All the passports were stolen out of his car. Not his fault. lol.

No sir. you are responsible.

On my last entry into Thailand, under "ADMITTED UNTIL" the immigration officer accidently wrote the date of 7th February 2018 ! Wonder how valid that is ?

i had same happen to me but the mistake was for 12 months. on leaving bkk i was asked for my other passport with 12month visa,which of course i didm"t have as i only have one passport. to get to the crux of the matter many phone calls by officials and 45 minutes later i was told i had 12 months visa

Their website is on this forum so it has been checked out?

The answer is no.

They are not a sponsor of the forum. Just a Google ad that comes up.

Well, maybe so. But go to their website, and look at their map. They are located between The Blackbush Bar and The Pussycat Club. How can you get more legit than that?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not valid and you would be on overstay, despite being it their mistake you should now better.

Of course I will sort it out with immigration now that I have seen it. Just thought it was amusing

As if by magic

should really be unecessary to use agencies for visas. The system is in place, for example in the USA. A few minutes at the Thai Consulate/phone call/Website...should get you in tune. My Government refuses to utilize agencies to do a service that should be free to a citizen (of course the visa has fees...I am only talking about fees over and above). For example, you would still need to get all the paperwork, get your passport, make photos, gathering original documents...etc. etc. What is the agency actually doing? Possibly just assembling everything with a paperclip and bringing it to the consulate for you.

You have totally missed the point.

This is about an expat with limited income, and no savings, asking about visa services to obtainan extension.

• Artisi, on 05 Feb 2014 - 12:21, said:snapback.png

moe666, on 05 Feb 2014 - 09:40, said:snapback.png

It would appear we have a troll as no response to the many relies. I wonder what enjoyment people get from trolling.

Maybe old age caught up with him - so problem solved

He could be sleeping.... 05.30 am in the UK....

I am not a ''troll'' nor asleep, and lived a very happy quiet life for 16 years in Thailand, and new to TV but sad with some of the stupid replies

+1. And the joke is that they're allowed to happily reproduce......

• Artisi, on 05 Feb 2014 - 12:21, said:snapback.png

moe666, on 05 Feb 2014 - 09:40, said:snapback.png

It would appear we have a troll as no response to the many relies. I wonder what enjoyment people get from trolling.

Maybe old age caught up with him - so problem solved

He could be sleeping.... 05.30 am in the UK....

I am not a ''troll'' nor asleep, and lived a very happy quiet life for 16 years in Thailand, and new to TV but sad with some of the stupid replies

The retirement visa extensions are available in Pattaya, Bangkok and Udon, that i know of..I've got friends in Pattaya who've been doing it for 5 years. 12000 Baht and through and Immigration officer. In one case, the immigration officer OWNED the shop we went through. False accounts were available from a bank [First letter "K"]. Always seems to be the same bank, even here in Udon. The extension is available here for 14000 that I know of.. Won't say any more about here...Might have to use it one day if the A$ does one of it's all too often collapses in the near future.whistling.gif