Thai farmers to block all main roads across country tomorrow

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TV posters are amongst the best there are for useful advice so can I request that information on roadblocks in every area be shared tomorrow ?

Perhaps the mods might consider a dedicated site if considered worthwhile should the blocks be widespread and extensive.

I have the relatively short trip Udon Thani - Khon Kaen to make but there must be others with longer ones planned especially if heading to Bkk to catch / meet a flight etc.

In 2010 I had the unpleasant experience of being stopped in several unofficial roadblocks and can only hope the farmers do not adopt the same attitude of the Lao Khao fueled idiots operating then.

I have a trip Udon -Nong Khai tomorrow, but the most frightening trip will be Saturday when I am driving from Udon-Jomptien.

Good thinking bat man---what info I have will gladly pass on.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

In cases like this I hate to say it but I will do it anyway: "I told you so". blink.png

And now farmers have to lend money at ridiculous rates from sharks that have government ties (otherwise they could never be in that business). The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Who is the elite now? The people in Government or the people that want them out?? whistling.gif

It is the PTP party responsibility to meet with the farmers and together try to solve the non-payment problem that that party 'must take responsibility" for, up to the point they became a caretaker government, this will allow the farmers to participate and give them a inside look at who has been behind their "non-payment" over the last two months.

PTP legislated the problem, now it is to their benefit to help solve it, Immediately!

Cheers

If this had of been a private company that had bought all this

rice off the farmers THEN not paid them,I am sure the police

would have been involved by now.

regards Worgeordie

If this had been a private company, it would never have been started. Let's see... I have a business idea here: I'll borrow money to buy a commodity 50% above market price. Then, I'll keep the commodity in stock and start selling at or below market price to pay down the loans. Can't fail, can it?

In cases like this I hate to say it but I will do it anyway: "I told you so". blink.png

And now farmers have to lend money at ridiculous rates from sharks that have government ties (otherwise they could never be in that business). The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Who is the elite now? The people in Government or the people that want them out?? whistling.gif

I don't think the rice farmers have any money to lend. ;)

This morning B,P Mr. Rawee a farmer protest leader stated they would take their protest to Bangkok, but clearly stated "However he stressed that the farmers would separate their demonstrations from any other political protest being carried out in Bangkok."

Cheers

TV posters are amongst the best there are for useful advice so can I request that information on roadblocks in every area be shared tomorrow ?

Perhaps the mods might consider a dedicated site if considered worthwhile should the blocks be widespread and extensive.

I have the relatively short trip Udon Thani - Khon Kaen to make but there must be others with longer ones planned especially if heading to Bkk to catch / meet a flight etc.

In 2010 I had the unpleasant experience of being stopped in several unofficial roadblocks and can only hope the farmers do not adopt the same attitude of the Lao Khao fueled idiots operating then.

I have a trip Udon -Nong Khai tomorrow, but the most frightening trip will be Saturday when I am driving from Udon-Jomptien.

It's good to read in another post that the farmers south of Bkk are using some PR to keep the general public onside.

For your Jomtien run one of the times I was stopped was on H'way 304 before the descent towards Kabin Buri but it was the early hours. For those manning the block it was just a game but it was hard to judge what they might do as they were well under the influence.

• Like 1

They could always eat there own rice. Oh wait, no they can't. The government has already taken it.

Perhaps they could get it back from the Government then. Except the government has already sold much of it at a loss, with most of that money being siphoned off already. And the rest is sitting already half rotten in warehouses where it is only fit for for weevils.

Poor Farmers.

Yes,

The way it was in the "Old Days," WE all took care of each other... Community, village, and people... Certainly not the way it is now...

My, my, my, how Thailand has changed over the years.... Back then we took care of the seed for the next years crop, we stored a part of the crop for the next year, in our rice houses... Ohh how I miss those days.......

wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif For this is when, Thailand was Thailand......

kilosierra.....

First of all the Farmers should not have joined the rice scheme the government offered. Now the Caretaker Government does not have the money to pay the Farmers.

Why doesn't Thuckson Chinawatra pay the farmers since healmost rove this Government into Bankruptcy.

If their are not enough Members of Parliament elected in this election the government cannot be seated and Thailand will still have a Caretaker Government who actually are prevented from passing any laws.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

On Sunday most of the farmers go vote the Pheu Thai Party & Yinluck back into power....and now on Thursday they go block all major roads in protest against the Yinluck govt. What happened? Did the farmers all sober up since Sunday. I know, I know, they just want to get paid...quite understandable...but why vote for the same people who haven't been paying you and just filling your pockets with vote-buying IOUs?

Pib, not splitting straws here, but where is the evidence that "most of the farmers go vote the Pheu Thai Party & Yinluck back into power."? For a start, they're not back in power and the entire election is in great doubt, and there has been no mention anywhere of whether or not the farmers voted for them. Personally speaking, I doubt that anywhere near the same numbers would have voted for PT this time as in 2011, even despite the threats and coercion that apparently was common in the villages.

Although the election results are still a work in process and may end up being thrown out most indications and news reports to date indicate the PTP will end up with a larger majority in Parliament than before even though the voter turn out was less. And once again, the PTP support is still strong among the farmers especially in the North, Northeast, and Central portions of the country. Heck, I have in-laws who are farmers and they bitch more than ever about the current govt; however, but, they still support it out of the other side of their mouths because they feel the PTP will provide the best populist benefits/deals in comparison to the other parties. It boils down to money and benefits...and the PTP is still a clear winner in these areas although it's costing the country dearly and don't seem sustainable.

On Sunday most of the farmers go vote the Pheu Thai Party & Yinluck back into power....and now on Thursday they go block all major roads in protest against the Yinluck govt. What happened? Did the farmers all sober up since Sunday. I know, I know, they just want to get paid...quite understandable...but why vote for the same people who haven't been paying you and just filling your pockets with vote-buying IOUs?

How do you know the farmers voted PTP? Did you get some sort of early poll statistic release? They might also be not so confident in the PTP any more and could have taken the "No-Vote" or even not voted for PTP.

I feel very sad for these poor farmers that we ALL rely on throughout the world and enough is enough.

Whay ever happened to the money that was seized from Thaksin (billions of baht"? Maybe they can pay the farmers that way?

Yesterday there was a newss article how Yingluk was rich and Suthep was poor. Maybe she should pay them?

RULE # 1..........NEVER screw the farmers !!!!!!!!

I drive from Vientiane - Nong Khai - Udon - Khon Kaen on Saturday. Will update if I have any issues.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

Gonna be a lot of foot-in-mouth for some posters on here who claim PTP was doing so good and the anti-gov't sentiment such a small segment of the population.

Lots of folks of all walks of life here fed up, and ready to restart without the feudalism. Get the block on the road, and shut down this proxy government! Taxpayers local and foreign tired of supporting graft, nepotism and shopping sprees.

I suggest you to read some publication about political system in the pre-Thaksin era. Feudalism now. Feudalism before.

Not much changes in sight, if Suthep will be the winner. Farmers are now in trouble, and I feel totally sorry for them, but I would love to see what would happen with Suthep in charge (or his mysterious council).

I still dream of a REAL independent council, technocrat government, which can include members of BOTH parties (let say the less influential? Not Chalerm, Yingluck, Abhisit, Suthep?) cutting the huge influence of Elite on the country keyposts, and really caring for the poors class. EC and Courts must be independent, but be under a supervising system, in the way if they get partial they can be voted out...

But I feel every day more I am only a dreamer.

Edited by newcomer71
  • Like 2

Hmmm, with this secondary anti-governemt group also becoming a huge, critical issue, one would think the Amazing Thaksin would make it go away with his vast financial resources. Ironic that this potential death-knell to the gov't is not so much political, as being from the poor farmers and of a financial/business nature!

Thaksin help people with his own money? you are having a laugh

A few months ago a town was under water and his donation was 2000 lunch box meals

Not known for his generosity ....

At least Yingluck is richer since she took office. Phew.

She better enjoy it now before her judgement day comes. Gonna be a rough one. Maybe she can be forgiven for not being blessed with sufficient brain cells, or at least be reincarnated as a Paris Hilton or Britney Spears.

Edited by gemini81

"Now, please count our certificates from the scheme as equivalent to land title deeds so that we can get loans to cover our daily expenses and invest in farming materials for the next crop season."

I would think twice about investing in something that no one wants...

You think nobody wants rice?

Well, Vietnamese rice is certainly in demand . Thai rice, at the price that Thai farmers have become accustomed /led to expect, not so much eh ?

I drive from Vientiane - Nong Khai - Udon - Khon Kaen on Saturday. Will update if I have any issues.

If there is a snag tomorrow--Udon -- Nong Khai---I will inform you mate.

• Like 1

"Now, please count our certificates from the scheme as equivalent to land title deeds so that we can get loans to cover our daily expenses and invest in farming materials for the next crop season."

I would think twice about investing in something that no one wants...

You think nobody wants rice?

Maybe you can help the government out and let them know who wants all their rice.

As of now even China does not want the Thai rice anymore.…

Rice farmers know very well who is behind the mess. It is Suthep and the democrats. Were they block the funding of the rice scheme together with the EC who is firmly on stage with the PDRC the funding of rubber farmers may continue. The subsidy per rai that rubber farmers receive far outstrips that of rice farmers.

• Like 1

Rice farmers know very well who is behind the mess. It is Suthep and the democrats. Were they block the funding of the rice scheme together with the EC who is firmly on stage with the PDRC the funding of rubber farmers may continue. The subsidy per rai that rubber farmers receive far outstrips that of rice farmers.

If you borrow money to buy a commodity above the market price, it's only a question of time before you go bust. That is exactly what has happened with the rice scam. Even if they manage to sell all the rice, they won't be able to pay the farmers, not to speak about the 570 billion baht they have borrowed to finance the scam.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you fell victim to the Lao Khao idiots manning the roadblocks in 2010, but on Monday I drove the long and very slow coastal detour from Cha-am to Samut Songkran around the Wang Manao block on Rama 2, and the farmers who were directing traffic throughout the whole detour couldn't have been more polite and humble. Many were apologising for the inconvenience and asking that we understand why they needed to do it.

This is a different deal altogether than 2010, and I can't imagine anyone with a decent head on their shoulders not having sympathy for the farmers. It's been an industrial-scale ripoff of people who can afford it least, and I must say I'm surprised (or not) that the Dems/Suthep haven't jumped in and found some money to provide the farmers relief and score points in the process. Nah, probably a bit too logical for the Dems wink.png.

Anybody blocking up main roads is wrong, they are not punishing the government, they are punishing ordinary people, who may need to get to their work, which could be in a hospital, and people going to the airport. They are also putting peoples lives at risk stopping emergency vehicles.

I believe the farmers are being hard done by, but they are wrong wrong wrong, to punish innocent people.

• Like 1