No end in sight to chaos in Thailand as situation continues to deteriorate

webfact

Apathy rather than the imminent threat of violence perse but why even risk it or your family with no one in opposition no need to go out enmasse and make any statement and take any chances, may as well just stay at home no earnest campaigning also no big show its usual human behaviour.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apathy rather than the imminent threat of violence perse but why even risk it or your family with no one in opposition no need to go out enmasse and make any statement and take any chances, may as well just stay at home no earnest campaigning also no big show its usual human behaviour.

I once asked a red shirt if he knew the difference between ignorance and apathy. He said "I don't know and I don't care."

We know why there was no "earnest campaigning", don't we. What could PTP say about the rice scam, "It's stuffed, you're stuffed, we don't give a stuff!"?

I once asked a red shirt if he knew the difference between ignorance and apathy. He said "I don't know and I don't care."

We know why there was no "earnest campaigning", don't we. What could PTP say about the rice scam, "It's stuffed, you're stuffed, we don't give a stuff!"?

An uneducated democrat can be brought up to speed in contrast to a fascist militant on the march.

An uneducated democrat can be brought up to speed in contrast to a fascist militant on the march.

How about millions? Seems they are learning now, pity it had to be the hard way.
Edited by JRSoul

And they don't count so whats changed ? not a lot id say

Start with more than half the voters staying away, add the spoiled votes, add the no votes, add the other parties votes, and what's left is far from a convincing mandate. In a country with compulsory voting is an election where less than half voted valid? Is a government that received 25% of the votes valid?

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 1

How about millions? Seems they are learning now, pity it had to be the hard way.

President Kennedy and I originated from the same state, 30 minutes drive away. You need to be clear his statement is proscriptive and corrective, not a flimsy and thinly disguised excuse to disenfranchise segments of the electorate, as too many fahalng here seek to do. JFK's commitment to civil rights is one instance of proof of his positive attitude towards disenfranchised voters, which was to be inclusive and supportive, not exclusive and contemptuous.

Your ambiguous statement accompanying the quote is amusing. laugh.png

President Kennedy and I originated from the same state, 30 minutes drive away. You need to be clear his statement is proscriptive and corrective, not a flimsy and thinly disguised excuse to disenfranchise segments of the electorate, as too many fahalng here seek to do. JFK's commitment to civil rights is one instance of proof of his positive attitude towards disenfranchised voters, which was to be inclusive and supportive, not exclusive and contemptuous.

The statement seemed very clear without the spin, thank you. I would see voters educated rather than disenfrachised, a shame that hasn't been the policy of the group in power here for most of the last decade. OTOH Ican understand that would be counter-productive as far as getting re-elected is concerned, Thaksin's policies in that regard seem to be keep them poor, uneducated and indebted.

Edited by JRSoul

The statement seemed very clear without the spin, thank you. I would see voters educated rather than disenfrachised, a shame that hasn't been the policy of the group in power here for most of the last decade. OTOH Ican understand that would be counter-productive as far as getting re-elected is concerned, Thaksin's policies in that regard seem to be keep them poor, uneducated and indebted.

I wouldn't argue about Thaksin's policies except to say the Abhisit-Suthep axis would set Thailand back 50 years, if not more. I'd hope you might be able to see something valid in the point I make.

I wouldn't argue about Thaksin's policies except to say the Abhisit-Suthep axis would set Thailand back 50 years, if not more. I'd hope you might be able to see something valid in the point I make.

They don't need to set it back 50 years, it's still there.

• Like 1

Fantastic post at last someone outlines what will happen should the so called Peoples Council ever takes place.

Add to this the fact that the people have given up there right to vote.

The Yingluck administration is being squeezed out from many different angles at once. The election failed to deliver them a quorum, and there is no credible path to achieving one. They are frozen on delegating funds, establishing contracts with other countries, attracting investment, announcing any policies, nor the ability to continue existing ones. Even the power of the emergency decree will likely be challenged in court. The actions we see the Yingluck administration now take on a daily basis is all they can do. All they can do is talk. They can express outrage and " try " give orders to the EC, they can " try " to establish a PR narrative of blame, they can " try " to arrange auctions to salvage the rice scheme, and they can " try " to continue to administer an avalanche of threats on those that oppose the administration. They are also reduced to the ultimate humiliation of trying to seek whatever power can be granted them through the very oversight institutions that they have held such open disregard for in the past. But much more than that, they can't open government offices, they can't stifle the protest on the streets, and the inexorable march of the courts continues. They have been backed into a corner. The Prime Minister has long ceased to occupy her office at Government House. She is being jostled secretly from location to location, ascending and descending stairwells. She arranges interviews with international media outlets, where she is confronted by another kind of discomfort - caught between the probing, disconcerting reality of the questions posed to her - and her efforts to show a skeptical press that she is capable of handling any of it.

Okay Tom Clancy, but the sum of all fears to many fahlang and to the vast majority of Thais, who are politically center middle, is the consequence domestically and internationally of an unelected, appointed "People's Council" directly connected to Ultraman Suthep and its fascist agenda coming into force, because Thailand will become a pariah state with sanctions imposed on it. If you and your fellow insurrectionists are worked up now about the sticky issue of rice, wait until the extreme right wingers take over in the former LOS because Thais will have rice coming out of their ears and rubber will bounce back in their embargoed faces.

The US government publically and many other governments privately are in a sense being friends by admonishing Thailand against coups, but everyone can be assured that sanctions will follow the imposition of an unelected council, and that an unelected council will be under the close scrutiny of the international community for any (fully expected) human rights violations, against the Thai people especially but also to include those fahlang who aren't busy blowing whistles and brandishing them at TVF.

,-

Further, the RS will not accept an unelected council per se, and certainly will not accept an unelected council that is installed as the direct result of any insurrection as is continuing to occur. An unelected council will never hold another election unless the council and the uncompromising elites it represents can rig the system to deny one person, one vote, or otherwise dilute and marginalize the votes of targeted other citizens of the Kingdom to the elite's satisfaction. It's long past time a great deal of convincing evidence to the contrary is presented by those who advocate the council.

As I pointed out in a prior post at another thread, the PM is busy in the extreme dealing with international and other national leaders and to corporate investors such as those from Japan cited in the OP. And not only Japan. Indeed, does Asean want a fascist Thailand as the regional grouping closes in on launching its own EC next year? Yes, Asean will make do as it needs to, but what will be the standing in the new EC of a former LOS commanded by a dictatorship of the right wing of Thailand? Perhaps you are comfortable with right wingers lording over a country that once was a fledging democracy, but I any many others Thai or otherwise are decidedly not.

Those who are on the right, or are their apologists, need to present convincing evidence - which means of great quality and quantity of it - that a "People's Council" is not prepared fully and unequivocally to screw the people.

"No end in sight to chaos in Thailand as situation continues to deteriorate"

...................................and even if the situation is not deteriorating we're going to keep on publishing absurd articles like this in the hope that we'll be right one day.

• Like 1

President Kennedy was referring to the racists of the US South who had for a hundred years institutionalized blacks out of their voting rights, systematically, systemically, violently. So when I think of ignorance here in the present circumstance of Thailand, I think of fascists, Thai and fahlang alike.

Those who are on the right, or are their apologists, need to present convincing evidence - which means of great quality and quantity of it - that a "People's Council" is not prepared fully and unequivocally to screw the people.

'On the right' is the last thing I would describe myself as. Historically it has usually been the right-wing that have opposed reforms and progress that improve the conditions and well being of 'normal' people. Perhaps you should reconsider your political classification if you consider a political party that gives the less wealthy crumbs while shovelling billions into it's own pockets to be in any way 'leftist'.

With regard to the PDRC, perhaps you should look further than the controlled media of Thailand and go straight to the source (tip Facebook PDRC)

Press Statement by PDRC Spokesperson Akanat Promphan: 6 Feb. 2014

PDRC enters reform phase: Launches “Robin Hood Rallies” to fundraise for farmers’ fight; Inaugurates Reform Roundtables this Saturday

Robin Hood Rallies

(6 Feb. 2014) PDRC spokesperson Akanat Promphan announced that the PDRC is launching a succession of “Robin Hood” rallies to directly fundraise for the farmers’ fight to get paid by Yingluck Shinawatra’s caretaker government.

“The first Robin Hood rally will commence tomorrow at the center of Thailand’s business and financial district - Silom,” revealed Akanat. “Similar to the mythical yeoman - except for the robbing of course - we will be soliciting donations for the farmers and handing them all proceeds so they can continue their quest for compensation from Yingluck’s government as they see fit. The route details will be announced by Kamnan Suthep this evening.”

Akanat emphasized that the PDRC was neither interfering in the farmers’ movement nor raising funds in connection with the rice pledging scheme. “That would be an impossible feat given the massive amount of money that Yingluck and her government owes farmers. We are simply raising funds so farmers have the freedom to pursue their rice payment,” Akanat declared.

Reform Roundtables

The PDRC is also jumpstarting its “Restart Thailand” phase this Saturday by officially inaugurating the first in its series of “Reform Roundtables.”

“The series is called ‘uniting for reform’ (in Thai, “สานพลังสู่ปฏิรูป”) and is a roundtable forum to solicit input on reform guidelines from the public and professional groupings,” explained Akanat. “Spearheaded by the Thai Development Forum, the first roundtable this Saturday will focus on those working in medicine.”

Spokesperson Akanat will be the principal roundtable coordinator. The reform series will be held at the Bangkok Art & Culture Centre (BACC) and will likely be a daily event.

What I see is support for a pack of inept criminals who are robbing this country while keeping themselves in power by offering bribe policies to a large segment of the population unable to see past their personal benefit. "Ask not......"

They certainly lack education, but the criminals have no intention of changing that. In fact they use propagandists to spread misinformation knowing that the uneducated will be unable to see through their lies, disparage the courts when any judgement goes against them, and continue to break electoral and other laws with threats of violence by their supporters if they are checked.

There are insufficient check and balance agencies to halt their criminal activities, and those that do exist are being starved of funding. You claim that Suthep would set back Thailand 50 years, well I think that might be better than the way things are now.

I WILL support any attempt at improvement. I CANNOT accept the word of a known perjurer who made a huge promotion of STOP corruption while carrying out one of the biggest scams this country has ever seen.

• Like 1