Wearing Gloves

macknife

A friend of mine was doing about 60kph in Bangkok the other day. A boy racer accidentally shunted him from behind causing him and his Fino to slide down the road. A bit of road rash on his thigh and ankle, but the worst was to his hand.

post-80215-0-78169900-1391614268_thumb.j

He said he kept hold of the handle bars as it slid, all the way until it stopped. I suspect this made it worse for his hand. Is it wise to keep hold of the bike in a slide?

Oh, and always wear gloves!!!

Even cheap 300B gloves could have prevented this nasty skin burn. It happened to my hand once(a smaller area than this) and I can tell you, it was a long time healing and not fun at all.

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scary stuff, hope he can heal quick and then not brag about it.

Human reactions in a crash are unpredicable. You can be trained and and still do wrong. Just brace and pray.

Unpredictable,yes but one of the first instincts we do is to put our hands out to shield ourselves so the hands are usually the first to make contact with the road. That's why I always wear gloves, even on a small bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Scary stuff, hope he can heal quick and then not brag about it.

Human reactions in a crash are unpredicable. You can be trained and and still do wrong. Just brace and pray.

Unpredictable,yes but one of the first instincts we do is to put our hands out to shield ourselves so the hands are usually the first to make contact with the road. That's why I always wear gloves, even on a small bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Absolutely, it is instinctive to put your hands down to break any fall, I should wear gloves as my hands are starting to look old as a result of sun damage.

Going out this morning to buy a pair.

• Like 1

I've had dozens of off's over the years and always worn gloves, so never had hand damage. Your friend was unlucky, that's for sure. Hanging on to the bike in a slide isn't generally recommended either, but in those split seconds it's difficult to make decisions as such.

I recently hit a kerb on my scooter trying to squeeze between the small gap between a speed bump and the gutter. Was only going 10klm/h but went over the front. Wasn't wearing gloves but no hand damage at all - I involuntarily "elected" to land on my face. The helmet probably saved me but I was still unconscious for 10 minutes.

My hansum man status is somewhat reduced but when the scabs come off I'm hoping to regain my former hansumness. whistling.gif

A "face brake" haven't heard of that one before, surely not that efficient....GWS..

• Like 1

I've had dozens of off's over the years and always worn gloves, so never had hand damage. Your friend was unlucky, that's for sure. Hanging on to the bike in a slide isn't generally recommended either, but in those split seconds it's difficult to make decisions as such.

I recently hit a kerb on my scooter trying to squeeze between the small gap between a speed bump and the gutter. Was only going 10klm/h but went over the front. Wasn't wearing gloves but no hand damage at all - I involuntarily "elected" to land on my face. The helmet probably saved me but I was still unconscious for 10 minutes.

My hansum man status is somewhat reduced but when the scabs come off I'm hoping to regain my former hansumness. whistling.gif

A "face brake" haven't heard of that one before, surely not that efficient....GWS..

Well, it works on the same theory of friction....but agreed the efficiency leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll be investing in a full-face helmet as soon as I'm able to show my face in public again. It's always worried me having a pea-pod, and the lesson is well and truly learned.

• Like 1

wearing a 300 thb gloves will not make any difference in an accident.

you need strong therefore expensive leather gloves with palm sliders, finger protectors etc.

first thing i look while buying gloves are palm sliders.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your pal

Have to confess I do not gear up on the scooter

Helmet,long pants,light jacket

I know....I know rolleyes.gif

Hate to admit it but same here (on the scooter that is). On my V and N1k, I am ATGATT.

I know ATGATT is very good advice and I would preach this to everyone, even if I don't observe it myself (do like I say, not as I do, haha). It is just that like with everything in life, it's a matter of cost / benefit analysis. We all undertake certain risks in everything we do but it must be a calculated risk. I also ride a lot differently on my scoot as compared to my other bikes, in terms of speed, following distance, lean angles, splitting lanes etc.

• Like 1

i wear my half leather gloves and bucket helmet while riding my wave 125 but rarely go more than 60 kph as i drive to 7/11, talat kao and pak soi only - 1 km - and to the petrol station 2 km sometime.

if more than 3 km, i ride my cbr500r with full gear.

While commuting and sometimes touring, i would like to confess, i wear my half leather gloves on cbr500r.

• Like 1

That's a big problem with scooters- they don't get much respect, but they can bite really hard.

My worst get-off was when I was riding my Wave- wound debridement is exactly as much fun as you would expect...wink.png

The laws of physics don't care what bike you ride - bicycle to scooter to Ninja to Harley - the road is always hard when you hit it. And the faster you are going, the harder the hit.

David

• Like 1

Yep loads of people think they don't need gloves ,but as others have mentioned it's always the hands that go out first when you hit the deck ,an important pice of riding gear for sure.

LL I've seen pictures of you on the track with fingerless gloves ,hope you have now changed your ways

• Like 1

That's a big problem with scooters- they don't get much respect, but they can bite really hard.

My worst get-off was when I was riding my Wave- wound debridement is exactly as much fun as you would expect...wink.png

had my worst accident also on a 100 cc scooter back home.

and really i was going straight at 40 kph maybe less, no turn no steering movement no mechanical or tire problems nothing and suddenly found myself sliding on the ground like an invisible hand turned the scoot over!

luckily it was cold so wearing simple gloves, a coat and jeans so less road rash but two broken rips and damaged tendons on my arm. it took 3 months to heal.

it is still mystery for me as i checked the road after the accident and no oil marks and road was a good asphalt.

so, that is why dont like scooters. their design is flawed and they are sometime unpredictable.

Edited by ll2

and really i was going straight at 40 kph maybe less, no turn no steering movement no mechanical or tire problems nothing and suddenly found myself sliding on the ground like an invisible hand turned the scoot over!

luckily it was cold so wearing simple gloves, a coat and jeans so less road rash but two broken rips and damaged tendons on my arm. it took 3 months to heal.

it is still mystery for me as i checked the road after the accident and no oil marks and road was a good asphalt.

so, that is why dont like scooters. their design is flawed and they are sometime unpredictable.

Scooter Pee get you every time

Can imagine what you went through. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week.

hahah so true

I have had both & tons of rash when racing.

In those days it was leather pants,boots,gloves etc. but a long sleeve moto jersey ( maybe still? )

Anyway the worst part was always the 1st shower afterwards w00t.gif Aye yayayay hahah

Can imagine what you went through. I'll take a broken bone over road rash any day of the week.

hahah so true

I have had both & tons of rash when racing.

In those days it was leather pants,boots,gloves etc. but a long sleeve moto jersey ( maybe still? )

Anyway the worst part was always the 1st shower afterwards w00t.gif Aye yayayay hahah

the worst part of road rash is trying to get the cloth and thread from the wounds with tweezers! as the cloth and your skin become one due to heat and friction of road rash.

Also, cleaning the road oil and dirt from the wounds is another torture!

If you get a road rash on your palm, it takes a lot of time to heal as it catch microbes all teh time so antibiotics is a must, never skip.

Besides, i strongly recommend Tetanus vaccination after an accident if you do not have one before - once you get one, you are immune to Tetanus for 5 years as Tetanus is bad.

My worst get-off was when I was riding my Wave- wound debridement is exactly as much fun as you would expect...;)

Yeah, it wasn't the most enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

It compares favorably with getting your chest waxed (which I experienced when a friend who opened a spa needed a test-pilot to try out a package aimed at couples- my wife got an herbal scrub, and I got tortured)- it was like getting struck by lightning forty or fifty times in the same spot (the fact the girl forgot to apply a numbing cream first didn't help).;)

Frankly, I can't recommend either one- I learned a lesson about gear with the first, and a lesson about listening to my wife with the second- 'Come on- it will be fun'.:)

Edited by RubberSideDown

It may be a bit unfair to blame the scooter.. I had exactly the same accident as you describe on an RGV250, but I was going a bit faster than 40 kph...., luckily I had no injuries. I was wearing gloves and the palm of the left glove was scuffed so certainly protected my hand.

Testament to the bike though was that once the bent up steering damper was removed I was able to continue with my journey. (In fact I still can't help but think that the steering damper may have actually caused the crash).

It compares favorably with getting your chest waxed (which I experienced when a friend who opened a spa needed a test-pilot to try out a package aimed at couples- my wife got an herbal scrub, and I got tortured)- it was like getting struck by lightning forty or fifty times in the same spot (the fact the girl forgot to apply a numbing cream first didn't help).wink.png

You weren't sporting a sweater were you? laugh.png

• Like 1

Must admit to not always wearing the full gear for every trip ..... but proper bike gloves, short boots and helmet is my minimum. Ventilated jacked and Kevlar jeans only for longer trips - not smart but dam_n it's hot on BKK's Sukhumvit Road under the BTS.

Even on my push-bike I wear decent leather cycling gloves - in a low speed spill my hands will probably hit the road first (or perhaps my face - but I was never a 'hansum man'.)

P.S Just noticed my old avatar photo - I took off my gloves to set up the camera ..... honest!

Edited by Familyonthemove

It compares favorably with getting your chest waxed (which I experienced when a friend who opened a spa needed a test-pilot to try out a package aimed at couples- my wife got an herbal scrub, and I got tortured)- it was like getting struck by lightning forty or fifty times in the same spot (the fact the girl forgot to apply a numbing cream first didn't help).wink.png

You weren't sporting a sweater were you? laugh.png

^

I'm not that hairy, but I screamed and cursed at least as much.;)

That was a hilarious movie, even better was the fact that that scene was real.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

TV is a great accident awareness tool ..

I tricked the missus into wearing gloves by telling her about skin aging, but she refuses to wear them at night.

Thanks for sharing and I hope the OP is on the way to recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app