Former Thai Finance Minister Pridiyathorn calls Yingluck a failed government

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few posts that are a potential defamation problem have been removed from view. This many is highly educated and highly regarded. And a member of the royal family. Please show some respect or a posting holiday will be handed out.

wai2.gif

Edit: apologies to the members with appropriate replies to the removed post.

• Like 2

Nadine to Randall Flagg: "They're asking questions . . . too. It's all slipping through your fingers. And they're whispering, Randy. I can see them, leaving their posts in the dead of night, and your eye can't see them. And when they come here . . . when they get here, your time will end, and I'll be watching. I'll be watching from Hell, with your baby in my arms!"

Edited by zydeco

I find his statements very self serving or "Suthep" serving, it is of the utmost importance that Yingluck remain PM until after the official announced vote is made public.

If she is not wanting to continue as head of state inform her party before the appointment of a vote for the new PM!

Democracy in Thailand needs her, to survive the onslaught of the rich elites plans to take over with a Undemocratic unelected government with the backing of the military.. The only way that can happen (without a coup) if she resigns, and causes a "power vacuum" that can be exploited by the fascist!

Hang tight, Yingluck you have much support in the country!

Peace

I agree with one point you made. Yingluck will never give up her power as she is her brother's only chance at keeping his country. Make no mistake about it. Thaksin will fight tooth and nail to continue his quest to rape Thailand for his own personal gain. He has invested too much to loose now. Thanks to Suthep, the people are slowly seeing Thaksin's evil schemes that are devastating the country. Suthep might have some skeletons in the closet, but Thaksin is way worse. I can't understand how people think that Thaksin is a good leader for Thailand. Time is on the side of the people. Hang in there Suthep!

even if you are right i think many people still think better the devil you know than the devil you don't ermm.gif

How can you or anyone else possibly judge what would happen under Suthep or whether he is bona fide ?

Can someone enlighten my in what party he is or was ?

Then I will understand more

Here is a Wiki on him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridiyathorn_Devakula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pridiyathorn_Devakula#Deputy_Prime_Minister_and_Minister_of_Finance is the most enlightening there (aside from his parentage). He's an old school scoundrel with a decidedly patchy period as appointed FM, dodgy dealings to his name, vast inherited wealth - perfect fodder for Suthep's Council.

Isn't the undue influence of someone like him the sort of thing proper reforms would seek to lessen in a democracy?

What your really saying is that he's too enlightened and therefore a threat to the red cause.

Taksin can come back any time he wants and serve his sentence. it is a massive error on his part that he has not done so already. he would have had a cushy prison cell for a few months then had doctors say he was ill and recommended house arrest for the remainder.

if he had done this he would be now be back in his homeland and free.

unfortunately through his bad decision making, lack of strategic nous and political astuteness and massive ego he continues to fester in dubai

Quite so.

In fact, in terms of his bad decision making that has lead him to where he is today, you can go back one step further, to when he sold his company without paying any tax. That was when the yellow shirt movement starting gaining real momentum. How easy it would have been to cut them off at the knees, by voluntarily offering up the sort of amount most people felt he should have paid. Could have given it to a charity or something. Would have immediately diffused the situation.

• Like 2

Don't kill the messenger. Read his letter.

I did. If he really cared about Thailand he'd be sending it to Suthep. He's the primary enemy Thailand needs to face right now. The rice scam is a massive mess, made worse by what's happening now, but somehow the country will get through it. What it won't get through is the destruction of the democracy to benefit the elite privileged grouping this aristocratic failed finance minister represents. Given his past, should any country really take his advice?

The utter destruction of the financial integrity and ability to do business with the world, which runs on perceptions of veracity and credit worthiness, is more pressing an issue than whether a vote gets delayed to install greater reforms.

Devakula is saying this in no uncertain terms. And he was FM under her brother and walked away from it,

rather than perform idiotic tasks that would harm the country, just because Thaksin wanted them done.

He has, if not sage like qualities, had some level of prescience in this few times he has spoken publicly.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

I find his statements very self serving or "Suthep" serving, it is of the utmost importance that Yingluck remain PM until after the official announced vote is made public.

If she is not wanting to continue as head of state inform her party before the appointment of a vote for the new PM!

Democracy in Thailand needs her, to survive the onslaught of the rich elites plans to take over with a Undemocratic unelected government with the backing of the military.. The only way that can happen (without a coup) if she resigns, and causes a "power vacuum" that can be exploited by the fascist!

Peace

Yes agreed. The country of Dubai.

Average nationwide voter turnout was 47% (this included the north and north east were there was no poll disruption) which was down 30%. Of that only 71% were valid votes. Other others were a "no" vote or invalid. So 33% of all eligible votes counted this does not include the areas that polls were disrupted (if it did it would be under 20%)

So not only did the people up north and north east turn there backs on the poll, but if 2011 election trends are an indication with the PTP garnering 43% of votes then PTP would get 14.9% minority. Lets pretend that PTP's vote doubled to 86% in this election (due to their vote rigging and the ballot paper that they sent out online 3 weeks before the election without the "Sample" watermark on it) then the PTP would have a minority of 29% of the vote.

Those rich elites making yingluck oversee a corrupt rice scheme. Those rich elites that caused inter PTP departmental conflicts. Those rich elites Suthep that is in debt and Abhisit who as 10 times less wealth than yingluck. Those rich elites that forced the PTP not to hold public hearings for the 350 billion water management scheme.

This head in the bucket approach to problems is exactly why the PTP are in trouble. They refuse to admit there is a problem until it is too late and even then they defer blame. Time the PTP learnt from their mistakes, stop deflecting blame and hold themselves accountable.

You make an excellent point above. The elite argument is best served by pointing out the difference between Thaksin/Yingluck wealth and the wealth of the Democratic Party leaders. Very educational.

The man is a highly respected figure within the international financial community and as such his comments will and do carry weight.

No he's not - quite the opposite. He trashed the SET with his mishandling and was removed under grey circumstances.

Just one quote from that wiki:

Pridiyathorn instituted capital controls to attempt to reverse a strengthening of the baht, but reversed the measure after the Thai stock market crashed, destroying US$20 billion of market value in one day. Pridiyathorn later noted that “This was not a mistake. Measures always have side effects. Once we knew the side effects, we quickly fixed it.... Just one day of stocks falling is not considered much damage.”[11] He came under harsh criticism. Bratin Sanyal, head of Asian equity investments at ING in Hong Kong noted, "The one thing worse than an incompetent central bank is an incompetent central bank that flip-flops." Catherine Tan, head of Asia Emerging Markets at Forecast in Singapore, noted, "They are proving themselves to be very unprofessional. Their actions are very irresponsible. They have totally lost credibility... I don't see foreigners returning to Thailand any time in the near future. Markets now have no confidence in the government."[12] The Export-Import Bank of Thailand also criticized the capital controls.

The international financial community have already made their feelings known via publications like WSJ, Forbes and the FT, all of which slaughtered Suthep and the Dems this week.

So compared to the ministers in the PTP (except the minister of transport) he is a genius!

I see you demonize him stating "He trashed the SET with his mishandling and was removed under grey circumstances."

Yet you defend yingluck that trashed the country and will be removed under crystal clear circumstances of corruption.

Go figure! Proof yet again the ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry of the PTP.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

Not really ever considered a politician, but more of an economist, although a Dep. PM three times, twice under Anand Panyarachun. A Wharton grad, and former Central Bank Governor.

He told a group of us last week, if he ever gets back into a government his dream would be to head the investigation on YL's rice program. Obviously, not high on her list.

Given his disastrous past as MOF (as detailed partially upthread - there seems to be much more) you rather hope that never happens.

Actually, when that happened I couldn't believe they made that move. They quickly changed it and it was amazing how those that said foreigners wouldn't come back soon couldn't wait to come back. What Pridiyathorn apparently missed is the same thing missed by those you quote. The SET is a short term traders market. We used to joke that a long term hold was 3 days.

Yes, he made a mistake and yes he realized it and yes he moved as quick as possible to rectify it. Now, compare that to your hero, YL, who was advised by her senior advisor that the rice program was doomed to failure right at the start, has watched it crumble, has so far defaulted on those it meant to help with approx. only 29% of the proceeds of the program actually going to the farmers, if they can get paid, has seen, even China not want to be involved due to the lack of transparency, has the NACC investigating it, and I would opt for Pridiyathorn anytime, but of course that is just me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Not really ever considered a politician, but more of an economist, although a Dep. PM three times, twice under Anand Panyarachun. A Wharton grad, and former Central Bank Governor.

He told a group of us last week, if he ever gets back into a government his dream would be to head the investigation on YL's rice program. Obviously, not high on her list.

Given his disastrous past as MOF (as detailed partially upthread - there seems to be much more) you rather hope that never happens.

Actually, when that happened I couldn't believe they made that move. They quickly changed it and it was amazing how those that said foreigners wouldn't come back soon couldn't wait to come back. What Pridiyathorn apparently missed is the same thing missed by those you quote. The SET is a short term traders market. We used to joke that a long term hold was 3 days.

Yes, he made a mistake and yes he realized it and yes he moved as quick as possible to rectify it. Now, compare that to your hero, YL, who was advised by her senior advisor that the rice program was doomed to failure right at the start, has watched it crumble, has so far defaulted on those it meant to help with approx. only 29% of the proceeds of the program actually going to the farmers, if they can get paid, has seen, even China not want to be involved due to the lack of transparency, has the NACC investigating it, and I would opt for Pridiyathorn anytime, but of course that is just me.

Yingluck is "my hero"? You've taken one and one and come up with five so I'm not sure I'd reply on your financial instincts here either. There are many other reasons why this guy is perhaps less than qualified to offer advice, but google is your friend here.

The man is a highly respected figure within the international financial community and as such his comments will and do carry weight.

No he's not - quite the opposite. He trashed the SET with his mishandling and was removed under grey circumstances.

Pridiyathorn instituted capital controls to attempt to reverse a strengthening of the baht, but reversed the measure after the Thai stock market crashed, destroying US$20 billion of market value in one day. Pridiyathorn later noted that “This was not a mistake. Measures always have side effects. Once we knew the side effects, we quickly fixed it.... Just one day of stocks falling is not considered much damage.”[11] He came under harsh criticism. Bratin Sanyal, head of Asian equity investments at ING in Hong Kong noted, "The one thing worse than an incompetent central bank is an incompetent central bank that flip-flops." Catherine Tan, head of Asia Emerging Markets at Forecast in Singapore, noted, "They are proving themselves to be very unprofessional. Their actions are very irresponsible. They have totally lost credibility... I don't see foreigners returning to Thailand any time in the near future. Markets now have no confidence in the government."[12] The Export-Import Bank of Thailand also criticized the capital controls.

The international financial community have already made their feelings known via publications like WSJ, Forbes and the FT, all of which slaughtered Suthep and the Dems this week.

So compared to the ministers in the PTP (except the minister of transport) he is a genius!

I see you demonize him stating "He trashed the SET with his mishandling and was removed under grey circumstances."

Yet you defend yingluck that trashed the country and will be removed under crystal clear circumstances of corruption.

Go figure! Proof yet again the ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry of the PTP.

Please don't make things up. Firstly I'm not "demonizing him", I'm stating a fact. He was roundly and strongly criticised for doing just that and a whole lot more. You not liking that, doesn't change that. Secondly I'm not defending Yingluck - as you may have noted up thread I said it was a bloody mess. That somebody disagrees with you does not make them Red or "paid by the man in Dubai" or whatever cliche seems to regularly arrive as a response - like: "Proof yet again the ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry of the PTP".

• Like 1

Please don't put words in my mouth - you were the one who decided to include those. I was talking about global financial editorial in the major newspapers that represent that community - and it is uniformly critical of Suthep, the mob and the Dems. Nobody is denying that the rice scheme is a bloody mess and that these bodies are extremely worried.

However, throwing drivel out like "failed state" as this guy has is just provocative nonsense. Thailand is nowhere near a "failed state" under any definition. Somalia is a failed state, South Sudan may be one - Thailand is not.

It actually states "failed government", not "failed state". Big difference, and he is absolutely correct.

• Like 1

Taksin can come back any time he wants and serve his sentence. it is a massive error on his part that he has not done so already. he would have had a cushy prison cell for a few months then had doctors say he was ill and recommended house arrest for the remainder.

if he had done this he would be now be back in his homeland and free.

unfortunately through his bad decision making, lack of strategic nous and political astuteness and massive ego he continues to fester in dubai

Quite so.

In fact, in terms of his bad decision making that has lead him to where he is today, you can go back one step further, to when he sold his company without paying any tax. That was when the yellow shirt movement starting gaining real momentum. How easy it would have been to cut them off at the knees, by voluntarily offering up the sort of amount most people felt he should have paid. Could have given it to a charity or something. Would have immediately diffused the situation.

I believe that you both are underestimating how evil this man is. He could never have caused as much damage from inside the country as he has from outside. Think of it this way, he plans the rice scheme, goes short on rice, makes a bundle. In Thailand,investigations, charges of fraud, in Dubai no problems.

Kikoman you say

I think you are soo wrong. With every day that passes a new scandal appears that YL and her party has caused. I am impatial to both sides however it Is becoming increasingly clear that this gov run by YL and the PTP has done nothing but help only a few (mostly the rich who support her) and the northerners (farmerd included).

To the rest of Thailand. YL and the PTP have done immense damage to the rest of the people. To their faith in their leaders. To the banking association and to the worlds overall view of this country.

Her continued presence as PM will bring Thailand to its knees.

I dont agree with Sutheps ideals and am at a loss how this country will ever recover from the damage caused by thiS administration. But Somethibg needs to be done to fix all the problems created by this gov. AND SOON before its too late

I don't disagree that YL and the PTP has done a lot of damage to the country. The rice pledging scheme was poorly thought out and badly misjudged how the global rice market works. The tablet scheme is really Disneyland stuff.

But if you are impartial like you said, you must also agree that this pro-reform before elections movement has equally done a lot of damage, especially in the eyes of the international community. Preventing registration of candidates, preventing elections by both vocal and physical means, holding a legal govt to hostage etc etc.

Reform by all means. I doubt if there is anyone who would say that Thailand does not need reform. But do it legally, within the confines of the law (some posters will probably try to counter by saying that the protests are legal, the CC says so but I think most reasonable people know differently). Do it in parliament, do it at the ballot box. Don't do it by making the country a laughing stock.

Worse of all, these protests are setting a very dangerous precedent. If Suthep's reform movement achieves it's goals, nothing will stop the pro-PT supporters from doing the same if not worse. If the supposedly educated supports unlawful activities, think how much worse it would get if the less educated decided to take the law into their own hands.

• Like 1

He's right. The situation is beyond dire for this administration and the country. Investment is indeed going through a steady exodus, the financial underpinnings have appeared to collapse, and the inner-workings of the administration that are now being exposed through the NACC's investigation have capsized investor confidence, coupled with the collapse of the rice scheme, coupled with the collapse of the rice industry itself, coupled with the protests on the streets, coupled with the debacle of the election, and last but not least, coupled with the administration being stripped of all power, and frozen in incapacity, and without any credible pathway to shift out of that for now or in the foreseeable future. And then there are the impeachment proceedings and constitutional challenges facing it, including the amnesty bill, the senate bill, the rice scandal, and the emergency decree. For all these reasons, he's right.

The situation is indeed dire for the country, for all the reasons that you have mentioned. But we have arrived to this point not purely because of YL and PTP. Suthep's actions have played a big part as well. So I would say that all are equally to blame.

It takes two to tango after all.

Peace

Of course you do. You're still hoping to get a subsidy.

Yingluck is "my hero"? You've taken one and one and come up with five so I'm not sure I'd reply on your financial instincts here either. There are many other reasons why this guy is perhaps less than qualified to offer advice, but google is your friend here.

The point is that we all make mistakes. Even you and I. Some learn from it and some continue to make the same mistakes, over and over. Pridiyathorn's letter is about YL's failed government. If this doesn't make sense to you, even google won't help.

• Like 1

Please don't make things up. Firstly I'm not "demonizing him", I'm stating a fact. He was roundly and strongly criticised for doing just that and a whole lot more. You not liking that, doesn't change that. Secondly I'm not defending Yingluck - as you may have noted up thread I said it was a bloody mess. That somebody disagrees with you does not make them Red or "paid by the man in Dubai" or whatever cliche seems to regularly arrive as a response - like: "Proof yet again the ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry of the PTP".

Ahhh….proof yet again the ministry of propaganda is the most successful ministry of the PTP!

I honestly do think you must be paid by the man in Dubai.

It seems that the yellow side knows how to pick its champions: Suthep as the upholder of good governance and probity, and Pridiyathorn as the arbiter of sound finances. As the Finance Minister appointed after by 2006 coup by General Surayud Chulanont, his record during his year and a bit in government was very mixed. Economic growth was curtailed as Thaksin’s dual track (exports and domestic consumption) strategy was ended, a substantial budget deficit appeared, private investment fell, and capital controls had a negative impact.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IF20Ae01.html

Of course, the farmers lost their rice subsidy and other populist projects such as the million cows project and the village development scheme were phased out, so I suppose in that respect Prodiyathorn has stayed true to his principles. Probably the usual suspects on TVF yearn for a return to those halcyon days back in 2006-08.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 1

Ah, could this be a pitch for a senior post when the elected government of "good people" is appointed (replacing the one which is in the process of being elected)?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2