Thailand is 4th in liquor drinking per capita: Euromonitor International

webfact

Interesting figures. There is no way I believe Sweden and Finland are so low.... makes me question the figures...... blink.png

I agree with you.

Having lived in Denmark and been to Swden and Finland I saw a lot more alcohol consumption there than I see here.

I am sure the figures are distorted somehow.

Once you live in Thailand for longer than a few weeks, you willthumbsup.gif

Don't need to question time here, thanks. Do you speak Thai yet?

pom men-gnaw.

I also lived in Sweden for 2 years, and frequented Finland. I saw the standard of life-style, and believe you me, the masses are complete pissheads.

Sweden and Finland both beat Thailand hands down for bottle shot drinking... or the Thai equivalent.

Of course they do it to keep warm.. not a cultural problem!

No, sorry i do not speak Thai, thanks for sharing you well travelled

ratcatcher, on 07 Feb 2014 - 11:50, said:

Congratulations to Thai drinkers everywhere. Now with all that potential sake and lao khao available, maybe they can be number one soon.

Chokdee.

With the help of us farangs.....they will reach number one.thumbsup.gif

Most things in Thailand are the fault of foreigners. It's the presence of all those sober Farangs that dragged Thailand down into fourth place.

I wonder how much our favorite super-drunkard, chronic ear infection patient and master at disguise has contributed to the statistic in order to achieve this laudable spot.

Mr C is on 'medication' which does not count.cheesy.gif

Interesting figures. There is no way I believe Sweden and Finland are so low.... makes me question the figures...... blink.png

I agree with you.

Having lived in Denmark and been to Swden and Finland I saw a lot more alcohol consumption there than I see here.

I am sure the figures are distorted somehow.

The Scandinavian countries have ridiculously high alcohol taxes. And the Danish, Swedes and Finns that I see in Thailand are certainly not shy of a few drinks.

A lot of the Scandinavian booze is probably bought through "unofficial channels", which wouldn't show on the statistics.

A lot of Thais upcountry are not exactly buying top quality alcoholic beverages and paying duty on them.........

How would the top 3 fare if they didn't sell alcohol between 2-5pm?

Does anyone know what the point of this is by the way? I can buy alcohol until midnight which means I can be drinking all night, be drunk off my ass, then go into 7-11 to get MORE beer. But if I stop off at the supermarket after work on my way home to get some wine or beer because I am having a few guests over later that night or as a gift because I am going to someone else's place, I can't! To me its just a major pain in the ass and doesn't accomplish anything. I'd love to know the reasoning behind it. Ok, its not the end of the world, but there have been a number of times wheres its been a big inconvenience.

Something else you can blame on Thaksin, If I remember rightly the law came in during his first term in office, along with closing bars and clubs at 1am and petrol stations at 8pm or whenever it is. The bar closing seems to have been relaxed, but the the others just stuck.

farangs werent counted when they did the population count so the alcohol consumption is skewed upwards.

you need to be reasonably affluent to drink lots of alcohol cant see how Philippines fits the bill also has a large muslim one would expect non-drinking population.

just euro propaganda to shift the focus away from the big drinking euros eg french german spanish czech ....

Edited by BAD ANGEL

Stop shutting the pubs for elections and Buddhist

holidays and we could get top spot. No problem.

Personally, I'm dedicating 2014 to making Thailand #3 in the drinking per capita ranks--and will encourage everyone to help

Together, We Can Make A Change...