Winter Olympics - True Visions, UBC does it again

Seeker1953

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea whether the free VPN/proxy solutions described here will work:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/02/how-to-watch-the-winter-olympics-2014-in-thailand/

Just tried Google Chrome with ZEN Mate (addon), location UK and watched some "Highlights" from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/winter-olympics/25885398

Worked well.

Thanks for the tip. Can you expand on the location UK bit. Are you in UK or Thai? Does ZEN cost money? Will it interfere with other settings on the laptop? I just want to access BBC IPlayer free TV in UK. I don't mind paying for an android box.

No idea whether the free VPN/proxy solutions described here will work:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/02/how-to-watch-the-winter-olympics-2014-in-thailand/

Just tried Google Chrome with ZEN Mate (addon), location UK and watched some "Highlights" from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/winter-olympics/25885398

Worked well.

Thanks for the tip. Can you expand on the location UK bit. Are you in UK or Thai? Does ZEN cost money? Will it interfere with other settings on the laptop? I just want to access BBC IPlayer free TV in UK. I don't mind paying for an android box.

It does not interfere with other settings on the laptop, as it works in the Google Chrome Browser only.

So it is NOT usable for non browser based viewers/tools or other browsers (it does not change your global IP settings).

It can easily be switched on/off in Chrome.

ZenMate ist free (until further notice).

https://zenmate.io/home/

I am in Thailand (Khon Kaen).

Just viewing this at 9:59h Thai time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03vl92h/Winter_Olympics_Today_at_the_Games_Sochi_2014_Day_1/

As you know, imternational bandwidth can go down dramaticallty in the afternoon/evening.

So no guarantee that it works 24/7.

In the morning always fine though.

Attachment shows screenshot. Quality is good enough for fullscreen also.

post-99794-0-07159500-1391915133_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Yeah, slipstream is by far the best streaming site. The guy streams every sport as long with TV channels. I recommend downloading an AdBlocker, quite a few annoying ads that you have to close out. Everything is in English.

http://slipstreamtv.co/

Which AdBlocker do you use? Thanks for the tip.

I just use a free one that is an extension in Google Chrome. You can download it from http://adblock-chrome.en.softonic.com/ They also have UK channels with BBC 1, 2, 3

the thai's i knew were not interested in and didnt know how their athletes were doing in the recent SEA games in burma

ask them about liverpool fc though...

true visions - you cant say you weren't warned. people have been complaining about this company for years.

Here;s a link to a Richard borrow thread that gives daily updates on how to watch: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/02/how-to-watch-the-winter-olympics-2014-in-thailand/

I watched some on channel 77 but it is Thai commentary, no English.

Channel 77 on the TrueVisions website shows up as WorkPoint TV, which usually has nothing to do with sports... Unless the TrueVisions' website's channel roster is out of date.

http://www.truevisionstv.com/allchannel.aspx

Nothing about the Olympics listed on TrueVisions online program guide, either under Sports highlights or by searching for the keyword "Olympic.".

http://www.truevisionstv.com/world.aspx?w=4

Here;s a link to a Richard borrow thread that gives daily updates on how to watch: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/02/how-to-watch-the-winter-olympics-2014-in-thailand/

I watched some on channel 77 but it is Thai commentary, no English.

Channel 77 on the TrueVisions website shows up as WorkPoint TV, which usually has nothing to do with sports... Unless the TrueVisions' website's channel roster is out of date.

http://www.truevisionstv.com/allchannel.aspx

Nothing about the Olympics listed on TrueVisions online program guide, either under Sports highlights or by searching for the keyword "Olympic.".

http://www.truevisionstv.com/world.aspx?w=4

I guess they showed the Opening Ceremony as it wasn't sport related.

But the games themselves will only be on True if they're carried on the normal Thai TV channels. Have the Thai skiers competed yet?

A couple thoughts on this from an American perspective:

1. NBC network, which has the broadcast rights in the U.S., is both streaming live events online and posting complete videos of competitions on its website. But to view those videos for longer than 30 minutes, you need to "authenticate" by using the ID and password from a U.S. cable subscriber. So if you have any friends or family back in the U.S. who pay for cable, you potentially can get their regular cable account ID and password from them, and that's your ticket to watch everything online. Although, it does also appear that you'll need to use a VPN or proxy to get a U.S. IP address for streaming purposes.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympics-live-extra-schedule#Replays

2. if you don't want to mess with all that, you can watch NBC's live coverage of the Olympics via a U.S. online television service geared specifically for expats called USTVNow. They have a totally free plan that would provide live streaming access to NBC's feed as well as 5 other regular broadcast networks, as well as paid plans with 28 cable and broadcast channels (including NBC) that run $19 a month just for the regular streaming video, or $29 a month for the same channels with an added cloud DVR feature for recording any streaming shows. You can pay for one month and then cancel anytime. The broadcast feed they stream is based on the Eastern U.S. time zone. No VPN or proxy required for this.

3. If anyone is using an Aereo account from the U.S., that would also provide both live streaming and cloud DVR recording capability for all of NBC's content, as well as various other channels. But you have to have both a billing address and U.S. IP address in one of the various U.S. cities currently served by Aereo.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/668771-aereo-online-broadcast-tv-goes-live-in-houston-miami/

4. As stated before, another good option might be BBC Sports, assuming one had access to a UK proxy or VPN.

Sorry to all you winter Olympians, but Truevisions have done most of us a huge service. Perhaps they have been wise and realized that this disaster that is happening in front of your eyes was not worth paying for. SOCHI a joke, a laugh and even more so a question ? Is the Olympic committee corrupt ? . Holding an event such as this in Russia ?? It's more political than sportsmanship. For lovers enjoy

I'm not a huge sports fan...and even less so for most winter sports...

But today, just watching the women's and pairs figure skating and later the moguls skiing, there's a grace and skill on display that's remarkable and enthralling to watch.

Regardless of where the Games are held, and what reasons led to the selection of the host country.

Nonetheless, it was interesting to see only four of five Olympic rings show up for the Opening Ceremonies, to read the media reports supposedly about surveillance cameras being installed in the bathrooms of hotel rooms hosting the athletes, and even the gripes from the media such as CNN, which apparently booked like 11 rooms months ahead of time and arrived in Sochi to find only ONE completed and ready. Etc etc etc.

http://www.thewrap.com/sochi-winter-olympics-opening-ceremony

Ahh...and I should have mentioned, NBC leaving out of its Opening Ceremonies coverage the performance by the two-woman Russian pop singing group that has a penchant for kissing each other on stage (amid Russia's much publcized crackdown on gays), and NBC also editing out of its coverage big portions of the IOC President's opening speech at the games, including part of his remarks speaking out against discrimination.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/02/08/thomas_bach_nbc_cuts_anti_discrimination_remarks_from_sochi_speech.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Here's another offer that might help with the speed issue. One of the DNS redirect services that's doing a special for the Olympics.

header.png

Here's 25% Discount to watch Winter Games via ibDNS

The Winter Games have always been kind of a big deal since… forever. This year the Sochi Winter Games is one of the biggest international sporting events of the year.

With this occasion we are offering a 25% discount for our ibDNS package, for the duration of the whole event. Also, we are going to fully support stream for the Winter Games via our servers.

How to benefit from the 25% discount?

Use OWG2014 (case sensitive) as promotional code during the order process. The discount code is going to be active until February 24th.

Limited Access? - We have the solution

With ibDNS you can unblock restricted live broadcasts. Just follow these simple tutorials on how to setup ibDNS, then choose a licensed broadcaster preferably from your country. The channels already tested with our DNS service are: NBC, BBC, CBC, NOS and more.

Enjoy history being written at Sochi Winter Games.

price5.png

get_deal_button1.png

payments2_w3.png

FWIW, i've been watching thru several different providers via a True cable connection in BKK, and they've been playing fine.

Sorry to all you winter Olympians, but Truevisions have done most of us a huge service. Perhaps they have been wise and realized that this disaster that is happening in front of your eyes was not worth paying for. SOCHI a joke, a laugh and even more so a question ? Is the Olympic committee corrupt ? . Holding an event such as this in Russia ?? It's more political than sportsmanship. For lovers enjoy

You want to excuse TrueVisions by putting down the Winter Olympics venue? That's a stretch. While growing up, and beyond, I recall fondly watching the successive Winter Olympics on TV. Always enjoyable. Kids in Thailand won't get that, unless they tune in to Youtube later. TrueVisions is Thai run, so you expect incomplete service. If Truevisions had one decision-maker who was cognizent of the wonderment (and internationalism) of the Winter Olympics, that person would have made efforts to get the Winter Olympics shown. But decision-makers aren't going to boost something which they're unfamiliar with.

A few years ago, I met two young women from Oregon, USA. they were best friends and very attractive. One was a world-class slalom skier (she had beaten some of the best in Int'l competition) and the other a speed skater. I half-joked that if they married Thai men, they could get dual citizenship. I then suggested they might try to be on the (then non-existent) Thai Winter Olympic team. They were agreeable - without the marriage twist. I wrote to the highest up person in sports in Thailand (which I could find a contact for) and he expressed some lukewarm interest, but then nothing (Thais are adept at fading out of touch with no notice). Many Olympic teams have taken on 'ringers' from other nationalities, so it's not an oddity, nor illegal nor frowned-upon. If the plan had gone ahead, Thailand might have a couple of medal contenders, and a whole generation of young Thais would become aware of a great world-class venue which they would ordinarily not be aware of. Win-Win for everyone.

You want to excuse TrueVisions by putting down the Winter Olympics venue? That's a stretch. While growing up, and beyond, I recall fondly watching the successive Winter Olympics on TV. Always enjoyable. Kids in Thailand won't get that, unless they tune in to Youtube later. TrueVisions is Thai run, so you expect incomplete service. If Truevisions had one decision-maker who was cognizent of the wonderment (and internationalism) of the Winter Olympics, that person would have made efforts to get the Winter Olympics shown. But decision-makers aren't going to boost something which they're unfamiliar with.

A few years ago, I met two young women from Oregon, USA. they were best friends and very attractive. One was a world-class slalom skier (she had beaten some of the best in Int'l competition) and the other a speed skater. I half-joked that if they married Thai men, they could get dual citizenship. I then suggested they might try to be on the (then non-existent) Thai Winter Olympic team. They were agreeable - without the marriage twist. I wrote to the highest up person in sports in Thailand (which I could find a contact for) and he expressed some lukewarm interest, but then nothing (Thais are adept at fading out of touch with no notice). Many Olympic teams have taken on 'ringers' from other nationalities, so it's not an oddity, nor illegal nor frowned-upon. If the plan had gone ahead, Thailand might have a couple of medal contenders, and a whole generation of young Thais would become aware of a great world-class venue which they would ordinarily not be aware of. Win-Win for everyone.

I disagree. I think it makes absolute commercial sense for Truevisions not to pay out for the Winter Olympic rights. When the Thai competitors start competing it will be shown on normal Thai TV.

Google "wiziwig".

To find a valid channel stream can sometimes take trial and error to find a stream amongst maybe 5-10 streams offered.

Ten ned to carefully navigate thru 2 or 3 pop ups (hint: look for a small X and click that to rid the pop up).

Full screen will elimenate repetative pop ups.

I also us a internet tv site from my home country specializing in providing tv for military and persons living outside the country.

Regular on air tv is free. special cable tv is subscription by paying monthly.

I get my country's regular TV and sports and also the Olympics for free. As long as I hav a good internet speed or the site is not full of viewers

I disagree. I think it makes absolute commercial sense for Truevisions not to pay out for the Winter Olympic rights. When the Thai competitors start competing it will be shown on normal Thai TV.

There are dozens of sporting events shown on Thai TV which don't include Thai competitors. Plus, many TrueVision customers are farang. Just because Thais aren't aware of something doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy it. There were times when hot peppers, corn, coffee, soccer, chocolate, golf, telephones, and ice were unknown in Thailand.

There are dozens of sporting events shown on Thai TV which don't include Thai competitors. Plus, many TrueVision customers are farang. Just because Thais aren't aware of something doesn't mean they wouldn't enjoy it. There were times when hot peppers, corn, coffee, soccer, chocolate, golf, telephones, and ice were unknown in Thailand.

Yes, but True is a profit making business, and if their commercial decision is that paying a huge sum of money for the Winter Olympics is not a good idea, so be it. Their farang viewership is minimal. Anyone wanting to watch can do so on all the other options suggested in this thread.

As I recall two years ago, the regular over the air Thai channels did carry coverage of the summer Olympics in London two years ago. It wasn't great coverage, but at least they showed some programming.

In this case, with it being the WINTER Olympics and there being no winter or snow in Thailand except with rare exception, perhaps they figured all this Winter stuff would be a foreign concept to their subscribers -- just like ASN Sports Network, NBA Network, MLB games, and all of True's other non-local Thai sports offerings...

If I'm someone who was paying them a couple thousand baht a month for one of their fancy cable sports packages, would it be too much to ask to also expect some Winter Olympics coverage???

Winter Olympics? TrueVisions cares for you, they have great, wonderful and extremely exiting sports being telecast for your pleasure instead of the Winter Olympics such as the Badminton and the great snooker championships and if you still feel sports sick, there are many great pre- telecasts sports shows being run again and again and again just in case you missed them every week or less, so don't complaint that you are not being taken care off :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As I recall two years ago, the regular over the air Thai channels did carry coverage of the summer Olympics in London two years ago. It wasn't great coverage, but at least they showed some programming.

In this case, with it being the WINTER Olympics and there being no winter or snow in Thailand except with rare exception, perhaps they figured all this Winter stuff would be a foreign concept to their subscribers -- just like ASN Sports Network, NBA Network, MLB games, and all of True's other non-local Thai sports offerings...

If I'm someone who was paying them a couple thousand baht a month for one of their fancy cable sports packages, would it be too much to ask to also expect some Winter Olympics coverage???

At the risk of repeating myself, when there's something of interest to Thais it will be shown on Thai TV. Olympic TV coverage is rarely sold exclusively to pay to view broadcasters.

Why rant only for Truevisions? Why not GMM, CTH, RS, PSI etc? Yes, I'm pissed off too for not seeing olympics but is it really just Truevisions fault?

"Truevisions does it again" lol...

If you have good internet, here you can watch all sports and not have to pay anything.

http://www.frombar.com/

I guess it's just easy to rant at Truevisions as they are still the primary provider of English language TV. Personally, I think that despite their shortcomings (particularly their stupid loss of the Premier League rights) they do a pretty good job for those of us who don't use the internet much, and we're lucky to have them. They certainly seem better than CTH!