Vegetarian in Thailand

luckysmile

I don't understand why so much people believe to eat vegan is good for their health!!! If you inform yourself a little bit more you find out that it make you sicker:

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088278&representation=PDF

Just do a search on Google and you find so much more:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=vegetarians+more+sick

For me I can say only: I LOVE IT TO EAT MEAT!!! :-)

And you are old enough to know self what you want to eat but: VEGAN EATING ISN'T HEALTHY!!!

Meat-eating and veganism are not the only options..

For those who do not want to eat meat, plenty of middle ground. I'm vegetarian but not vegan, eat eggs and dairy, which along with tofu, legumes etc provide plenty of protein.

People who stop eating meat for a while usually find that the taste and smell become repugnant to them, and there are whole cultures where meat eating is not the norm. For those who choose to eat meat, fine, but no need to be defensive about it or try to claim it's somehow an evolutionary imperative. It is not. For those of use fortunate enough to have access to adequate quantities of a whole range of foods (not true for many people in the world), it's a choice.

• Like 1

I don't understand why so much people believe to eat vegan is good for their health!!! If you inform yourself a little bit more you find out that it make you sicker:

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088278&representation=PDF

Just do a search on Google and you find so much more:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=vegetarians+more+sick

For me I can say only: I LOVE IT TO EAT MEAT!!! :-)

And you are old enough to know self what you want to eat but: VEGAN EATING ISN'T HEALTHY!!!

Health is not just about being vegan or meat eater.

You have vegan who lives on veggie burgers and diet coke, they are not healthy at all.

And you have people who exercise a lot and eat meat and are in better shape.

Being healthy means avoiding food that gives inflammation to your arteries, build up plaque in your vessels, raise your PhiP, IGF1 levels, attack your cells, damage your DNA and release free radicals.

Apparently we will be all vegetarians by 2050, but you will be dead by then, so why should I bother?

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

I am Vegetarian, and have been for over 40 years..

The reason i am Vegetarian, is that , I dont have the right to take some animals life just for my pleasure to eat..

Food is never been a big deal to me, so once i was old enough to realise what was going on, i became Vegetarian...

and have not looked back since, it has kept me in good health, teeth,skin,body etc etc..

I never air my views about it, as life is all about ''Choices'' and this has been my ''Choice''..

Life is for living..

I am not tee total, i do like a few ''Southern Comforts'', so its not all about health etc etc, we all need to let our hair down once in a while..

Living in ''Thailand'' being Vegetarian is good, as there is a massive selection of ''Fruit and Vegetables''.. Fantastic i love it..

anyway, that was my Tuppence worth..

I am Vegetarian, and have been for over 40 years..

The reason i am Vegetarian, is that , I dont have the right to take some animals life just for my pleasure to eat..

Food is never been a big deal to me, so once i was old enough to realise what was going on, i became Vegetarian...

and have not looked back since, it has kept me in good health, teeth,skin,body etc etc..

I never air my views about it, as life is all about ''Choices'' and this has been my ''Choice''..

Life is for living..

I am not tee total, i do like a few ''Southern Comforts'', so its not all about health etc etc, we all need to let our hair down once in a while..

Living in ''Thailand'' being Vegetarian is good, as there is a massive selection of ''Fruit and Vegetables''.. Fantastic i love it..

anyway, that was my Tuppence worth..

Well lucky you, but not all of us can "let our hair down" the way you do.

For me it's lupus / arthritis and Crohn's disease coming back if I consume the wrong food.

Luckily for us they are other ways to let our hair down than having a "few Southern Comforts".

"The thing is there is not enough statistics like on big scale tests, to prove we don't need cooked food or all cooked food are carcinogenic"

Of course not. Who would pay for such a study.

Who reads those studies anyway. Certainly not doctors.

Anecdotal stuff can be pretty convincing though...especially if the result is obvious to the participant/praticioner.

Edited by papa al

"The thing is there is not enough statistics like on big scale tests, to prove we don't need cooked food or all cooked food are carcinogenic"

Of course not. Who would pay for such a study.

Who reads those studies anyway. Certainly not doctors.

Anecdotal stuff can be pretty convincing though...especially if the result is obvious to the participant/praticioner.

You're right doctors read stories of the people that pay their salary, or read all studies but only apply the ones that will sell medicines/won't contradict the market.

But that guy is a doctor and he's reading all the new articles, digest them and makes videos for us about the power of nutrition in our health, it"s a non profit organization. I believe him and watch his vids regularly

During a Q&A video, It was one of the questions asked though 'raw food/cooked food", he just said he believe we need some nutriment transformed by cooked foods, but it was not backed up by surveys as per usual. So for me the question remains open. I must say I got really scared my teeth would fall off, it fell like it anyway.

Edited by Kitsune

cooked food per se is not carcinogenic, but consumption of charcoal broiled/charred meats can increase the risk of cancer as can the consumption of food fried in re-used oils, the latter a very common practice in Thai markets/street stalls.

For legumes in Thailand, go to Indian groceries; all kinds, dirt cheap. Pahurat has tons, also a good one on Sukh soi 16. Thais only eat legumes in desserts.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

cooked food per se is not carcinogenic, but consumption of charcoal broiled/charred meats can increase the risk of cancer as can the consumption of food fried in re-used oils, the latter a very common practice in Thai markets/street stalls.

It's not just charcoal charred meats or re-used oils that are carcinogenic.

PhiPs are a class of carcinogens which are a class of mutagens found in cooked meat poultry fish and cigarets smoke.

The intake of PHiP found in processed, fried, or stir-fried meat was correlated to the DNA mutation they found in women breast tissues.

They not only trigger the initial start of cancer cell, they also promote the growth of the actual tumor.

PhiPs were discovered in ALL breast milk of meat eating women whichever the cooking method (but none in the vegetarian)

Edited by Kitsune

PhiPs are a class of carcinogens which are a class of mutagens found in cooked meat poultry fish and cigarets smoke.

PhIP is a single chemical, not a class. It is formed when certain amino acids found only in meat are heated in the presence of sugar. It is not found in cigarette smoke.

It is undoubtedly mutagenic, and carcinogenic in lab animals. There isn't any evidence (yet) of its being carcinogenic in man.

The intake of PHiP found in processed, fried, or stir-fried meat was correlated to the DNA mutation they found in women breast tissues

Reference? I couldn't find any such study. (There is a similar study in rats - Durling et al. 2005)

PhiPs were discovered in ALL breast milk of meat eating women whichever the cooking method (but none in the vegetarian)

Reference? I couldn't find any such study.

Incidentally, not all cooked meat contains PhIP. It's only if you "cremate" it that PhIP is formed. Medium-done lamb chops, medium burgers, and lightly browned bacon contain none (Nomish et al. 1990).

Edit: fixed quotes

Edited by AyG

• 2 weeks later...

PhIP is a single chemical, not a class. It is formed when certain amino acids found only in meat are heated in the presence of sugar. It is not found in cigarette smoke.

It is undoubtedly mutagenic, and carcinogenic in lab animals. There isn't any evidence (yet) of its being carcinogenic in man.

The intake of PHiP found in processed, fried, or stir-fried meat was correlated to the DNA mutation they found in women breast tissues

Reference? I couldn't find any such study. (There is a similar study in rats - Durling et al. 2005)

Reference? I couldn't find any such study.

Incidentally, not all cooked meat contains PhIP. It's only if you "cremate" it that PhIP is formed. Medium-done lamb chops, medium burgers, and lightly browned bacon contain none (Nomish et al. 1990).

Edit: fixed quotes

Psst :watch the video, the references are there.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, ive been without a phone for the last 4 months so havent been online, thank you for the helpfull comments and other opinions, im now living here in Thailand, 4 weeks in :-)

Just thought id let you know how i went.

After about two weeks being vegetarian i started following a variation of the 80/10/10 raw vegan diet called rawtill4, which as the name suggest is the same but you can eat cooked vegan dishes after 4pm.

I have to say i am absolutely thriving on it, mentally and physically.

Peace

Second that, I have been vegan nearly 4years 'rawtill4/low-fat style' and I feel better than ever. http://nutritionfacts.org/ is a great site for info. Not had a single sick day, stronger, fitter, faster, sharper than anyone I know (IMHO!). All the conflicting science and studies can't argue with the 'real' facts ...that is the real results. There is nothing to lose by everyone giving this lifestyle a go at some point in there lives for a few weeks at least.

Edited by Mr Happynesss
  • Like 1

Any raw vegan way to replace salt please? I heard about coconut amino ??

And also salad dressing with Thai ingredients please.

Which B12 supplement/ algae/nutritional yeast do you recommend?

Thanks