The "To Jomtien" baht bus queue in South Pattaya a cauldron of violence

Jingthing

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how big and macho the foreigner, and how small the Thais (even women), the foreigner is ALWAYS gonna get owned in the end (power in NUMBERS). It was quite a scene. The Thais were really small, the foreigner was really big, but the it was no contest.

Not true. I fought and ran away and lived to fight another day.

As to that bus queue, the last time I was there, I witnessed a simmering argument between a drunken Russian(of a pair) and a Thai at the stop(with suspiciously red eyes). There was grabbing and pushing. I simply got in between and said "No".. and repeated to the Thai "Jai Yen".

Sometimes, you can do something to prevent these situations.

I think you mean "licence" not "licentiousness" -- although I may be wrong.

You should invest in a dictionary.

No sir. I used the word that I did use INTENTIONALLY. Sorry you did not get my play on words. Perhaps over your head. Your suggestion that I was not aware of the standard usage (license) amuses me. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

No matter how big and macho the foreigner, and how small the Thais (even women), the foreigner is ALWAYS gonna get owned in the end (power in NUMBERS). It was quite a scene. The Thais were really small, the foreigner was really big, but the it was no contest.

As to that bus queue, the last time I was there, I witnessed a simmering argument between a drunken Russian(of a pair) and a Thai at the stop(with suspiciously red eyes). There was grabbing and pushing. I simply got in between and said "No".. and repeated to the Thai "Jai Yen".

Good for you, hero! Maybe you're a martial artist or something, You do realize they might be ARMED? I have personally been threatened by one of them with a crude stun gun by a queue guard. Some drivers have baseball bats. Who knows about guns and knives?

Good for you, hero! Maybe you're a martial artist or something, You do realize they might be ARMED? I have personally been threatened by one of them with a crude stun gun by a queue guard. Some drivers have baseball bats. Who knows about guns and knives?

I think the term Drama Queen fits your comments.

Do you think them mad men? You get in there before it escalates, if you can.

It allows the locals to save face.

I think it is HORRIBLE advice to suggest that any foreigner try to fight with or try to break up a fight with a potential mob of THUGGISH Thais! You can hurl your "Queen" insults all you like. I've heard worse. Anyone can read the bloody results in the local news about what happens when foreigners try such games. I can assure you lots of these events NEVER make the news ... the ones that make the news are the tip of the iceberg.

You can push this macho crap that foreigners should risk their lives this way, but I won't let that kind of dangerous advice stand without comment.

BTW, yes. I do think it is is OBVIOUS that at least some of the workers involved in the baht bus trade have out of control RAGE and are likely clinically insane, and I hope you aren't doubting my report of being threatened with a stun gun.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

oh Jingthing what are we going to do with you ? you have way too much time on your hands , you really do have to get a life and let this bahtbus thing go !!!!!

Do you actually think that kind of sniping has any value to anyone?

In other words: kindly do not address me with your suggestions for my PERSONAL business ever again.

"Thank you"

attachicon.gifLily-Allen-Air-Balloon.png

Very very much.

It always amazes me that the people with the most to say have the least tolerance for others opinions.

oh Jingthing what are we going to do with you ? you have way too much time on your hands , you really do have to get a life and let this bahtbus thing go !!!!!

In other words: kindly do not address me with your suggestions for my PERSONAL business ever again.

"Thank you"

Very very much.

It always amazes me that the people with the most to say have the least tolerance for others opinions.

Dude, that wasn't an opinion about the TOPIC. It was pure personal insult and nothing to do with the TOPIC.

I think the term Drama Queen fits your comments.

Do you think them mad men? You get in there before it escalates, if you can.

It allows the locals to save face.

IMHO, "drama queen" does not "fit his comments" and is out of line. If you ask me about the sanity of some of the drivers and herders, I would have to say that some are "out to lunch." The main problem is that they are now immersed in a culture of violence, greed, corruption and xenophobia. I do not care if you are Steven Seagall, if they have a gun or knife or bat, you stand a good chance of ending up on the wrong end of the fight. They do not "fight fair." They fight when they know ten other "sh&t for br$#ns" will come to their aid. Of course, with a gun they do not need anybody to assist them. In addition, in general, the police are going to be on the side of the mafia thugs, not the farangs. It is best to avoid getting into a conflict with them. There have been times when I have wanted to explode on them. It is hard to resist that temptation, but it is good advice to resist that temptation. It is a nice thought to think that talking them into a state of sanity will stop the problem from escalating. In some cases it will; in others, you will find yourself caught up in the insanity.

• Like 1

If the scenario is correct that "a Russian was beaten up by thugs" in Pattaya then maybe at some stage these Russians will realize that the beating up of thousands of innocent gays by Russian thugs in their own rotten stinking 3rd world backward Soviet country is also reprehensible.

Edited by homeseeker

JT, have you thought about buying a dark blue pick up? Getting a cover for the back, and a step-up installed? That way you could drive around and get your own back on these terrible people who are devouring all your Mbs!!!!

Sound ridiculous??? Good, it was meant to, because so does another thread about Baht busses and their behaviour annoying you! Christ, if you can't be happy here, (move?) there's something, quite frankly, WRONG!

This is not a personal attack, because many of your posts / threads are of great value and experience,………………but for God's sake drop the Baht bus issue, and find something else to occupy your time.

JT, have you thought about buying a dark blue pick up? Getting a cover for the back, and a step-up installed? That way you could drive around and get your own back on these terrible people who are devouring all your Mbs!!!!

Sound ridiculous??? Good, it was meant to, because so does another thread about Baht busses and their behaviour annoying you! Christ, if you can't be happy here, (move?) there's something, quite frankly, WRONG!

This is not a personal attack, because many of your posts / threads are of great value and experience,………………but for God's sake drop the Baht bus issue, and find something else to occupy your time.

Have you thought about not engaging in a thread that you have no interest in? I am on a bhat bus each day. I like reading what others think about all of the problems associated with them.

• Like 1

Yeah, for those who don't want to to read another baht bus thread, then bloody just don't read them. Simples. Curiously, as many people in Pattaya DO use the baht buses, some like me as their ONLY form of transportation other than WALKING, there will always be interest in baht bus related topics as long as there are baht buses running in Pattaya.

You live in jomtien and seem to have great problems "commuting" to/from pattaya.

Why don't you just move to pattaya and walk everywhere ? It's also very easy to cycle anywhere in pattaya.

Or if you wanted to stay put in jomtien; you could make it your policy to always get a motorbike taxi back to jomtein.

Really, you refuse to take steps that would end your own problems. You choose to be the victim in your life? I think you have a problem.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

I think you are encouraging me to use transport methods with a high risk of physical injury or death. Objectively much higher than riding baht buses, which though often unpleasant, have a very low fatality rate. I say no thanks. I'm really sick of people preaching to me to not use baht buses. Again, if you aren't interested in baht bus topics, don't read them and certainly don't bother posting to them.

Also, I won't be moving to Pattaya. If I do decide to sell in Jomtien, which wouldn't be easy or practical, I would more likely leave Thailand entirely than move to Pattaya!

Also, whether I personally use the buses or not (I will) is not really the point. The buses are a BIG thing in Pattaya for the general public, and as long as I do ride them, and stuff happens that I observe that is worthy of public discussion, that's about the baht bus riding public and not specifically about me.

Edited by Jingthing

This is not a personal attack, because many of your posts / threads are of great value and experience,but for God's sake drop the Baht bus issue, and find something else to occupy your time.

Have you thought about not engaging in a thread that you have no interest in? I am on a bhat bus each day. I like reading what others think about all of the problems associated with them.

I have plenty of interest in this, and many other threads!

What I don't have an interest in somebody / anybody consistently moaning about the same thing(s) which are completely avoidable!!

• Like 1

I actually want the South Pattaya baht bus queue to be professionally managed in a civilized manner which I know from experience of the world is actually humanly possible. Will it happen here? Of course not. But if Pattaya aspires to world class destination, they might consider some clean up.

I acknowledge there are issues with cultures of many of the people in the queues. Many have no respect for the current system but in fairness, there is no real system, it is mostly CHAOS.

But with proper management (I would suggest physical metal FENCE structures to keep people in line and never letting the front of the line ebb and flow in bizarre and unpredictable ways) it is still not rocket science. These kinds of internationally understood crowd control tactics are something Thai people COULD do if they WANTED to. It's a shame the local baht bus monopoly has no interest whatsoever in these kinds of real solutions.

Edited by Jingthing

So your answer is love it or leave it. How original. facepalm.gif

post-37101-0-62785100-1392205260_thumb.j

The fare will rise someday and then that will be the new fare.

Will the service improve to justify the fare increase?

Personally, I would be happy with a fare increase with an improvement in service.

But I am realistic. I know there is no linkage between a higher price and better service.

Again, if the powers behind Pattaya tourism are serious about improving their image: PAY ATTENTION!

You can't have a world class tourism urban beach resort without REAL metered taxis and with the main form of public transport being run by such a high number of obviously emotionally unstable and sometimes actually VIOLENT operators.

Not to mention how many are totally crazy DRIVERS.

Edited by Jingthing

Some posts making personal attacks have been removed.

In using Thai Visa I agree:

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

• Like 1

Also, please stay away from anywhere where you might have to confront the naughty baht bus!

Sorry. I can't honor that request. Heading out to the streets now. There will be baht buses. I will be boarding (if there is one to be boarded). Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

"Thank you"

Very very much.

it just that almost 100% of your posts are negative to pattaya , if you hate it here so much or find it so hard to get along with Thais why not just pack up and leave dodge and give us all some peace ??

• Like 2

Jingthing, maybe the ruski said something very insulting to the Thai person. I've seen plenty of tourists in Pattaya that have no concept of how to behave in Thai society, and at the same time, I've seen incredible tolerance by Thai people towards them.

Why don't you try getting on a bus which is waiting before the junction/slip road, indicating to turn left, on Pattaya Tai?

I used to stay on Pattaya tai myself. When getting a bus on this road I'd ask them if they were going to Central or Jomtien. It's not rocket science.

Another thing you can do is try to learn a little Thai. Just enough to signify, after your presence in the waiting area is known, that you'd like to board the next bus. If they feel able to communicate with you then might have a different experience. They might help you!

This "Us vs Them" attitude you seem to have can't be helping your perception of the situation.

Edited by RandomSand

Come on guys! Give the Op a break, please.. He posts because he's frustated, mad and <deleted> tired of the situation. Day after day he'll have to deal with this ..and the worst thing is, he knows he can't do anything about it ! So he post on the board to get rid of his anger and to get some feedback..and understaning..we all know that we can't change the situation..but we must have a room on the forum for this kind of feelings..even though it's rather hopeless to look forward for a change,

I go mornings from Patts to Jomtien 2-3 days a week. Never any problems.

Evenings back to Pattaya. Unpleasant.