What's the situation with crossing borders on the sea?

Say you're on a speedboat or yacht and you accidentally stray from Thai waters to Malaysian, or vice versa, or Myanmar/Thailand, what are the likely consequences?

How are you supposed to know where one country ends and another begins? Obviously it's not the same as land borders.

mate, if you dont have some form of GPS on any boat at sea your an idiot as they tell you exactly where you are at all times. In Australia you have to have electronic equipment fitted before you are even allowed to go out for safety reasons and anyone worth their salt wants to know where they are in regard to reefs etc before hitting one. If you go into someone elses territorial waters you are the only one at fault and may be in more sh*t than you really want to be in, make sure you have a gps fitted before you go anywhere, if not for your safety then the safety of anyone with you.

• Like 2

Basically, if you don't touch land, you are OK. You cannot engage in any commercial activities in the foreign waters, but freedom of navigation allows you to enter any water that is not specifically declared to be "off limits".

try telling that to china.............

• Like 1

seajae, on 12 Feb 2014 - 10:27, said:
outstripp11, on 12 Feb 2014 - 10:16, said:

Basically, if you don't touch land, you are OK. You cannot engage in any commercial activities in the foreign waters, but freedom of navigation allows you to enter any water that is not specifically declared to be "off limits".

try telling that to china.............

Perhaps the last part of outstripp11's reply covers your reply. Did you read it?

According to his avatar he has only crossed lakes.

Just as well really

Mind you some lakes are international

Coming from the land of Great Lakes, I crossed into Canada almost daily on a small canoe with a 2 hp motor on the side......7 years old. No problems with customs or anything like that.

It was the Great lakes i was thinking about, did'nt think it would be that easy to get in and out.

Well... yes... for most of the answers to this post, but unless you are transporting something illegal in the country whose territorial waters you are in and are boarded the only time you have to be concerned is if you step foot on land. Straying into waters of another country is fine as long as if you are not there for illegal purposes. Just cruising is not an offense unless in the time of conflict/war. Oh, you might be stopped (if they find you or have the slightest interest in your and what your craft is doing there), but will accept you explanation as long as you have nothing to hide or are carrying anything deemed illegal. So throw that spliff over board!

• Like 1

According to his avatar he has only crossed lakes.

Just as well really

Mind you some lakes are international

Coming from the land of Great Lakes, I crossed into Canada almost daily on a small canoe with a 2 hp motor on the side......7 years old. No problems with customs or anything like that.

It was the Great lakes i was thinking about, did'nt think it would be that easy to get in and out.

Here is a good point of entry...You camp on Wolf Island/ St Lawence. So many small boats....and camping. My dad used to take us there for the summers. Grandparents were French Canadian....Dad is American. Small canoes with motors...many islands and coves...nobody used to care which side you were on. Perhaps now...they may have surveillance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Island_%28Ontario%29

• Like 1

"How are you supposed to know where one country ends and another begins?"

As you sail the seas, just look for that same bright red border line that you also saw on your 49-baht map you bought at Big C.

Edited by Fookhaht

Being a Diver and a Sailor before i retired (Last year) . I vaguely recall these ( Obviously Ancient) things called GPS's, Charts, Outer Markers, Inner Markers, Epirbs, and at a last resort, the Stars. Am i getting so old already that even exploring the oceans has changed ??? Oh and i almost forgot ( old git that i am) We used to have these things called Radios, which we could use to call the local authorities to make sure everything was ok and if they saw us on their RADAR thingies ( and it was a problem) , they would call us ( on our call sign, which these strange RADAR thingies can read) and tell us to point our pointed end in the other direction.

EDIT TO ADD:, If you do accidentally cross international waters then i guarantee that they will know that you are there before you even realise it. Have your passports with you ( always) Most un-intentional intrusions into others waters are easily solved in my experience.

Edited by lucifer666
  • Like 1

As lucifer 666 stated; this is true. You are also required to clear port authorities at your present location

before departing for another destination...wherever that may be. If you fail to clear with the authorities

at your present location, the authorities who control the waters where you're caught may have some

serious questions for you to answer. BTW...if you have any contraband, of any type aboard the vessel,

be prepared to spend a long time in some shithole prison and you can kiss the boat you were on/owned

good---<deleted>---bye...as well as yourself. Just a quick edited add on....mind your P's & Q's in your present

port and ensure all debts are squared away before leaving....they have a nasty habit of being called in at

the strangest locations.

Edited by sunshine51