Angry Pattaya Van Driver

wonder6281

I'm not sure there is a "right" lane at the junction. Three lanes plus turning right on Suk converge into one lane, sometimes two. You just filter in. Is the op sure that they did not make any gesture that could be considered inflammatory as they merged into the traffic?

posted from my Samsung using Tapatalk 2.

A "long" car horn/honk is considered an extremely aggressive gesture in Thailand -basically the "car-finger." And you know how Thais react to that. Don't know if this was involved or not but just a word of warning.

No honking from me .. Just kept my line going around the corner and pushed up enough to prevent him from cutting me off. He had to back off.

Old news now but told as a lesson learnt for others.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

y dare to touch me, but then again, i did have my balls with me and stood my ground

The law of averages says that you'll have them chopped off and handed to you eventually.

Never bring a pair of balls to a gun fight (or a knife fight- or a 12 on 1 beating). Maybe you'll dodge the bullet or the blade next time. Maybe not.

If I were to give any newcomer (especially guys with big balls) advice to live by here in Thailand: You can never win a fight. If you are winning, a dozen others will pile in on you. Fighting is a team activity in Thailand and you did not bring a big enough team.

That may not be 100% true, but you'll spend less time in hospital if you act as if it is.

You can go down as a man or run away like a little girl, in the end it is your choice.

you can go down as a man but possibly end up severely injured or even worse or run away like a little girl but still stay in one piece.

Yep in one piece with no dignity

Again, your choice how you live and go through lifethumbsup.gif

It is irrelevant what country you in, either one is a coward or not. Location and scenarios make no difference at all.

I have been attacked by 15 or so guys back home and was beaten badly, HOWEVER i did take down 3 of them with me and this i can live with proudly.

So you say, so you say laugh.png

You can also run like a little girl, get home and sit at your computer to tell

everyone how you have huge balls and stand your ground and scare all

who dare confront you one time after another cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I must say I believe you. Thousands wouldn't, but I do whistling.gif

Lesson 3

Grow a pair of balls and how to defend yourself or do not try to stand your ground

I know how to defend myself

Then why did you open or leave the window open?

Sitting strapped in a car with the window open, stuck in traffic is the worst possible position.

In hindsight your right but at the time never worried about it.

Lesson 4.

fair enough, the way I see it, with the window closed they would have to take it to another level by smashing the window and draw attention

to the situation, which even in a rage many thai males will re-consider.

I agree self preservation is the no1 goal.

btw, while not quite self preservation, once when riding into pattaya someone cut me off really bad, I mean really bad, had to swerve and brake so my front wheel was not taken out at 60/70kms, and I gave him the bird, the cnt then braked hard and tried to run me off the road a few times, then sped off.

I caught him stuck in traffic on pattaya tai and gave his car a nice kick, he then tried it on again, so I found a nice 2X4 and smashed his side mirror off.

Was approx a 60 yr old farang who was lucky I didn't follow him to his destination and beat the living fck out of him, now if I was a thai lad he might not be walking today.

Point being, there are some low skill, aggressive, very stupid farang on the roads too.

I'd love to see some of the "man up" crew on here cowering when they're getting thrashed from a gang of angry Thais for following their own advice....

Let's see how hard and manly you are then you prats...

never, never get into a physical confrontation in Thailand....None of these hard "Men" ever have.....they'd all run screaming to Tee Rak....

• Like 2

A guy in a red Toyota twice tried to kill me on the Bangna highway. The first time I survived by invoking the name of "Jesus Bloody Christ", and the second by the power of my motorcycle (a 750). I'd finished work late at night and turned left onto the highway (edit: sorry, frontage road) - traffic was about usual for that time. I'm in the left lane and red Toyota blasts straight across from the outside lane and leans on his horn to get me out of the way. He came in at me at such a great speed that braking wasn't an option, so I hit the pavement on the left and somehow managed to squeeze between a power pole and a fence (I can take you to the exact place - I passed it every night after work for 17 years). I'm ashamed to say I lost it, I saw red and wanted only to kill this scumbag because he had all the room in the bloody world to get by me. (As you can guess, I'm still upset by this dogboy, 12 years later.) When I got back on the road, I rode up alongside him and slammed my fist into his window and furiously gave him the finger, then powered ahead. I heard him drop a gear and rev his engine and saw in my mirror that he was coming after me.I can't really explain this as I've been riding bikes for 50 years, but I didn't think of finding a refuge from him (there were plenty of trucks and semis around to duck and weave between, and I had plenty of power). But I started to "play" with him. Honest to god, I teased him with the finger to come after me. I did duck and weave and use the power of the bike, but only to try to force him into having an accident with one of the semis or the concrete barriers. The cvunt really was trying to ram me. But we started to get close to my turn off, and I didn't want to go there - 2 wheels against 4 going around corners? No thanks. Then in the mirror I saw him pull over, so I slowed down, watching him carefully. His windows weren't tinted, so I got a good view - I'm not b/sing, but he slammed his forehead and fists into his steering wheel in an obvious display of rage and frustration, I'd guess. Never seen anything like it. Anyway, p'ssed off quick after that. That's the worst incident I've had in 25 years here, but it taught me (or is that reinforced?) a lesson about Thai males in vehicles.

Edited by WitawatWatawit
  • Like 2

BTW, you don't have a drive cam?

For 2-3k baht you should get a front and rear camera set up, starts automatically with the ignition, you just press a button and it saves the last hour of footage.

Completely necessary in a country like Thailand (unbelievably poor driving) populated by Thais (who are far more likely to lie or run off in the face of an accident, or explode and attack you, like you experienced).

With a cam I would have taken that footage to the police, TAT and media outlets.

"With a cam I would have taken that footage to the police, TAT and media outlets."

What for? Give 'em a laugh?

TIT!!!

I'd love to see some of the "man up" crew on here cowering when they're getting thrashed from a gang of angry Thais for following their own advice....

never, never get into a physical confrontation in Thailand....None of these hard "Men" ever have.....they'd all run screaming to Tee Rak....

It certainly would be interesting to see if these people are actually posting from Thailand. If they're not, their views of driving in Thailand are really irrelevant.

I'm not sure there is a "right" lane at the junction. Three lanes plus turning right on Suk converge into one lane, sometimes two. You just filter in. Is the op sure that they did not make any gesture that could be considered inflammatory as they merged into the traffic?

A "long" car horn/honk is considered an extremely aggressive gesture in Thailand -basically the "car-finger." And you know how Thais react to that. Don't know if this was involved or not but just a word of warning.
No honking from me .. Just kept my line going around the corner and pushed up enough to prevent him from cutting me off. He had to back off.

I hear you...Thais do seem to have trouble grasping the concept of staying in one's lane when turning at major intersections. I make the right turn from Sukie onto Central Road daily. Sukie is stripped for the two right lanes to make thus turn (we'll skip for now that sometimes 3-4 lanes try to make it). I can't count the number of times when I've been on the outer of the two turning lanes turning into the outer/middle lane of Central when the blasted Thai making the turn from the inner (farthest right) lane of Sukie tries to turn into/merge directly into my middle lane instead of their corresponding inner lane of Central! I'm always on the lookout for this and give a friendly short toot if the horn if necessary to keep in their lane. If its clear they have no clue how to make this turm or are coming in string, then I have to give way to my left if clear. It's maddening.

You situation sounds like the one at intersections like the one above where too many lanes of cars try to make the turn...basically merging into the new road. Yeah, in these cases its a combination of chicken and whose car nose has got the edge. That and of course car/vehicle size and value.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I hear you...Thais do seem to have trouble grasping the concept of staying in one's lane when turning at major intersections. I make the right turn from Sukie onto Central Road daily. Sukie is stripped for the two right lanes to make thus turn (we'll skip for now that sometimes 3-4 lanes try to make it). I can't count the number of times when I've been on the outer of the two turning lanes turning into the outer/middle lane of Central when the blasted Thai making the turn from the inner (farthest right) lane of Sukie tries to turn into/merge directly into my middle lane instead of their corresponding inner lane of Central! I'm always on the lookout for this and give a friendly short toot if the horn if necessary to keep in their lane. If its clear they have no clue how to make this turm or are coming in string, then I have to give way to my left if clear. It's maddening.

You situation sounds like the one at intersections like the one above where too many lanes of cars try to make the turn...basically merging into the new road. Yeah, in these cases its a combination of chicken and whose car nose has got the edge. That and of course car/vehicle size and value.

Exactly the same situation, I used to think that marked turning lanes mattered until I moved here, but it's a free for all. Rules are ignored but you see the police setting up checkpoints in the soi's on the east side checking for helmets, licences and rego.

Well I welcome the feedback and report I spent the afternoon in my hammock with a few cold beers, not driving around Pattaya.

Behind every smile is an angry Thai.

WHAT a stupid statement ! !

If you really believe that; why don't you haul your silly little, narrow-minded little ass back to wherever the heck you hailed from ? ? ? ?

WPFflags.gif

[sorry Mod: I can't stand dumb generalizations !]

• Like 2

And what do u think the police would do

Nothing u are the farang

Farangs need to get this police thing out of theur heads

The thais can and do what they like to farangs there is no law here its the wild west

Carry a peppet spray

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have seen it many times

I open the window and shout obcenities at them and motorbikrs inc mbike taxi tossers but u have to watch them they are police employees

Sent from my GT-S5310B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Spend little more time outside and you can see.

Perfect example is insomnia bar, where on regular occurrences foreigners where bashed by the guards because softcocks just stood there, until 1 guy with balls fought back, stabbed one of the guards with guards knife

Since than they have not touched anyone and are extremely careful how they handle people.

There are tonnes more I can "show" you but it would be a waste of time since running away is the going norm for tv members, though it could be the age thing.

Funny enough seen any news lately on younger, fit guys being beaten up? I wonder why.....

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

This morning I learnt a very valuable lesson - Don't upset Thai Male Drivers!

I had to go to Jomtien Immigration and upon turning right in Theppasit from Sukumvit (I was in the right lane), this Van decided he want to get into my lane whilst we were turning into Theppasit therefor cutting me off.

Lesson 1. Do not play chicken with them.

I did actually hold my ground and forced him to back off - Well you'd thought I had just killed one of his relatives!

He chased up behind me blowing his horn, then proceeded to come up the inside lane and forced me to take evasive action where did a complete stop in front of me.

He then got out of his vehicle and at first thought he has a mini baseball bat, but it wasn't. Then I thought as machete, but it was something else, not really sure, but this guy was angry with me.

Lesson 2. Don't wind down your window to an angry approaching Thai.

He started screaming at me. I had no idea what the crazed Thai was going to do, but the prospects of violence was looming large. I pleaded with him to settle, but that definitely wasn't working .. I tried the apology approach; that made him even more disturbed!

He lashed out me with a backhand through the window twice. Both blows only hit my hands.

At this point I am waiting for the 'flat stick' to be the next attack, but he stepped back and gave me a huge verbal, walked to his van and left.

I was stunned by all this to be honest but made me think if I could do something different next time to avoid it.

Only thing is to let them cut you off and shake your head because a confrontation with guys like this are not worth it.

He must have been having a bad morning or late for something, maybe a delivery because he had one of the bluetooth ear pieces on him and I was in the wrong place at the right time.

If I had got out of my car and confronted this fool, then I would have been the one at fault .. No doubt!

As for having my window down, if I had it up I suggest he would have taken to my car with his stick.

Anyway lesson learnt for sure.

Footnote - He hit like a girl and need a weapon to approach me. Coward! I have his number plate and I'm sure Karma will visit him at some stage in the future.

I must be lucky in the forty years I have been coming to Thailand I have never seen road rage of the sort you have described,however in Australia you see it just about everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BTW, you don't have a drive cam?

For 2-3k baht you should get a front and rear camera set up, starts automatically with the ignition, you just press a button and it saves the last hour of footage.

Completely necessary in a country like Thailand (unbelievably poor driving) populated by Thais (who are far more likely to lie or run off in the face of an accident, or explode and attack you, like you experienced).

With a cam I would have taken that footage to the police, TAT and media outlets.

"With a cam I would have taken that footage to the police, TAT and media outlets."

What for? Give 'em a laugh?

TIT!!!

Possibly nothing. Depending on if the media outlets publish it.

If they did, then the police would likely be morally forced to be seen to do something, and the idea of them being the heros and getting 17 of them in to a photo after tracking down and arresting the lunatic might be enough fir them to do so. You know how much they love being the photographed heros.

Funny enough seen any news lately on younger, fit guys being beaten up? I wonder why.....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647026-russian-resort-owner-beaten-up-on-pattayas-walking-street/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680809-two-russian-tourists-abused-by-drunken-thai-teenage-gang/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626725-dutchman-beaten-by-thai-teens-for-no-apparent-reason/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/651819-farang-got-stabbed/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657539-american-man-killed-in-krabi-son-severely-injured/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667051-young-norwegian-assaulted-and-robbed-on-pattaya-beach/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/664226-english-tourist-stabbed-in-the-neck-by-drunken-thai-man-in-south-pattaya/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/673970-farang-guy-got-beaten-up-for-not-paying-tuk-tuk-fare/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/677755-watch-seller-gang-attack-and-injure-russian-tourist-in-pattaya/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683502-italian-tourist-beaten-by-two-thai-teenagers/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691291-maltese-man-beaten-up-by-7-motorbike-taxi-riders/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693891-11-arrested-for-attacking-french-tourist-in-hua-hin/

You do what you want.

I'm posting these for the benefit of people who haven't yet made up their mind whether they want to think with their big balls or their brains. I'm sure some of these guys wish they had chosen differently.

If one tourist reads this thread and goes home with a great story instead of in a box, or paralyzed for life, it's a win- and well worth the effort- as far as I'm concerned.

As for young and fit, enjoy it while it lasts. Though it won't help you much when there's 12 of them.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647026-russian-resort-owner-beaten-up-on-pattayas-walking-street/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680809-two-russian-tourists-abused-by-drunken-thai-teenage-gang/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/626725-dutchman-beaten-by-thai-teens-for-no-apparent-reason/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657539-american-man-killed-in-krabi-son-severely-injured/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/667051-young-norwegian-assaulted-and-robbed-on-pattaya-beach/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/664226-english-tourist-stabbed-in-the-neck-by-drunken-thai-man-in-south-pattaya/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/673970-farang-guy-got-beaten-up-for-not-paying-tuk-tuk-fare/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/677755-watch-seller-gang-attack-and-injure-russian-tourist-in-pattaya/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683502-italian-tourist-beaten-by-two-thai-teenagers/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691291-maltese-man-beaten-up-by-7-motorbike-taxi-riders/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/693891-11-arrested-for-attacking-french-tourist-in-hua-hin/

You do what you want.

I'm posting these for the benefit of people who haven't yet made up their mind whether they want to think with their big balls or their brains. I'm sure some of these guys wish they had chosen differently.

If one tourist goes home with a great story instead of in a box, or paralyzed for life, it's a win- and well worth the effort- as far as I'm concerned.

As for young and fit, enjoy it while it lasts. Though it won't help you much when there's 12 of them.

the whole 13???? huge numberrolleyes.gif

You do what you want.

If one tourist goes home with a great story instead of in a box, or paralyzed for life, it's a win- and well worth the effort- as far as I'm concerned.

There's those balls thinking for you again.

You do what you want.

There's those balls thinking for you again.

No mate, its common sense thinking.

There are hundreds if not thousands assaults per year, 100 times that back in the West, it is part of life and always has been.

I wonder if you would also put your tail between your legs and run away if you wife or child was being harassed by someone.

Thais and most other cowards ONLY attack when they know they can win, if there is a chance of them being hurt, they do not.

Clearly when you sweating in your little panties they will pursue, just like in any other country in the world

What I love is when they decide to go on the sidewalks with there motorbikes coming strait at you and you are expected to move fast. Even better you are avoiding all of the 6 feet deep holes on the sidewalk and are forced into the road and the motorbikes driving in the wrong direction almost force you into the six foot holes.

If Thai police do not start enforcing some form of code of conduct that is equitable then it will begin to effect there economy. You have militants burning a bank employee on her way home, shootings, more and more violent confrontations. Thailand must focus on all forms of safety not just for tourists but for all of its people. If you tie all of the posts together like the baht bus rage, shooting, holes left open for years, electric wires hanging everywhere, taking your life in your hands crossing the road, tourists being robbed etc as a whole Thailand is going very much in the wrong direction which will effect its economy significantly.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Democracy and elections are more important, just ask all the red rag supporters on TV. Thats all they keep whinging about, can't have reform, oh no.

Spend little more time outside and you can see.

Perfect example is insomnia bar, where on regular occurrences foreigners where bashed by the guards because softcocks just stood there, until 1 guy with balls fought back, stabbed one of the guards with guards knife

Since than they have not touched anyone and are extremely careful how they handle people.

There are tonnes more I can "show" you but it would be a waste of time since running away is the going norm for tv members, though it could be the age thing.

I think this is a good explanation of the differing opinions........the older posters have the benefit of wisdom and realise you pick your battles........while you sir are younger and still in the "brains of a rocking horse" phase.

• Like 1