Thai Police remind public of alcohol ban during Makha Bucha

webfact

Police remind public of alcohol ban during Makha Bucha

BANGKOK, 12 February 2014 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police has stressed that the nationwide alcohol ban will be imposed on the upcoming Makha Bucha Day while warning vendors and drunk drivers of serious legal penalties.

Deputy National Police Spokesperson Pol Col Witchayakorn Nichabaworn stated that sales of alcohol would be prohibited across the country this Makha Bucha Day, February 14, in compliance with the announcement of the Office of the Prime Minister. Cooperation has been sought from entertainment venues and retail stores to refrain from selling all kinds of alcoholic beverages on the day; exceptions are applied to hotels, however. The operator of the place where violations are found will be subject to a maximum jail term of 6 months and/or a fine of no more than 10,000 baht.

Sobriety checkpoints will also be set up on main roads in order to clamp down on people driving under the influence. If any drunk driving is found, the police will try to track down the vendor responsible.

As Makha Bucha Day this year will coincide with Valentine’s Day, the police are on guard against sex crimes, especially ones involving children and youth. Security measures are being raised at risk-prone places, such as entertainment venues, hotels and public parks.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-13 footer_n.gif

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should they have to remind people ..... theoretically there will simply be none for sale (tongue in cheek) .... are they in effect telling everyone to stock up today so they can have their drinking binges ... and drunk driving accidents despite the ban ? ..... and despite the holy day when good buddhists supposedly abstain?

Sobriety checkpoints will also be set up on main roads in order to clamp down on people driving under the influence. If any drunk driving is found, the police will try to track down the vendor responsible.

So never mind the drunk driving find the guy who sold it!..... ah the fine for selling it is higher than the fine for drunk driving.......silly me ! alles klaar!

The offence is selling........... not the drinking. There is nothing to prevent you DRINKING on Makha Bucha Day, the law relates to the SELLING of alcohol.

It wasn't all that long ago that pubs in the UK used to close on Good Friday, plus Sundays, especially in the more pious states of Wales and Scotland so my old man has just told me. Indeed apparently in a lot of Welsh towns and villages they still close totally on Sundays, though not by any archaic 'law'.

In Beiruit, they close the main nightlife drag (Rue Gouraud) totally in Ramadan (though more for repairs to the local infrastructure, as opposed to any laws or religious demand surprisingly) which in the current cycle falls right in the highest point of any potential tourist season much to the chagrin of bar owners even though 80% of their local (Muslim) trade wil fall away during Ramadan.

Why should they have to remind people ..... theoretically there will simply be none for sale (tongue in cheek) .... are they in effect telling everyone to stock up today so they can have their drinking binges ... and drunk driving accidents despite the ban ? ..... and despite the holy day when good buddhists supposedly abstain?

The remind them to not forget to stock today....clap2.gif

• Like 1

All this suggestion (order) is indicative of a state that wishes to control its citizens.

Strangely though the Police farce can't seem to be able to actually do the duty they are supposed to do no matter who or what it may concern.

religious-police.jpg

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

The Deputy National Police Spokesperson would do well to warn his own ranks before threatening the public...

Sobriety checkpoints ?.....set up in the actual police stations before the oricfiers go on "duty" perhaps ?

anyway not a big problem if any member of the public is caught just say its ear medicine.....

Edited by Soutpeel

Was in a 5-star hotel last night and the staff were heavily promoting their St V's package inc a bottle of white fizz. When I asked about the alcohol ban they said it was impossible for them to comply on St V Day.

This should be a great little earner for the cops all over the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Was in a 5-star hotel last night and the staff were heavily promoting their St V's package inc a bottle of white fizz. When I asked about the alcohol ban they said it was impossible for them to comply on St V Day.

This should be a great little earner for the cops all over the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hotels are allowed to sell on buddha days.

The dryday box is bought and cooling down. I will stay at home, save some money, and so bring less into the country.

Definitely no sex crimes for me tomorrow......

Victory for the BIB!

I do hope Mr.Chalerm's earache doesn't play up, though.

Edited by eddie61

Total PROHIBITION, all day, every day........why don't we try that? Thailand couldn't make a bigger mess of it than America did!

We could have our very own version of "Idiot Ness & the Touchables."

Wonder just WHO could play the role of Al Capone? might have to import a high profile from the Middle East....ah, and then who do we cast in the role of a "Gangster's Mole"?

Thai TV could have a very popular and long running Drama Series.

Edited by Torrens54

Some are lamenting the fact that they will not be able to open a bottle of wine for their date at Valentines dinner. But it's not all bad. For example:

"Awww, so we can't order a bottle of wine with dinner? Well, that's ok dear...I just happen to have a couple of bottles at my place".

• Like 1

I believe that hotels are exempt from the ban if I am not mistaken. When I have been in a hotel previously on Buddhist holidays, I was served alcohol no problem. It seems like the only stores that will not sell are the big vendors such as Big C, Tesco, 7-11 etc. All the mom and pop stores will sell alcohol to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

• Like 1

Yep! And so select TV members ( a minority..., for events like these, a vocal minority) have something else to gripe about. And so that others might take to a friendly poke.