Foreigners Arrested for Not Carrying Passport

gk10002000

Interesting to note that many here are getting hung up on whether there is a specific law to cover this point, as though the arrest proceedings might be governed by the Marquis of Queensbury Rules and backed by the Constitution or similar. To para-pharse a famous film quote, "we don't need no stinking law".

In 6 years l have never carried my passport and never will. It is too valuable document to risk losing in some bar or travelling on a baht taxi. It maybe the law, but nudity is also against the law. As is driving without a licence, having fake ID's ............ etc etc etc etc

I guess I'm lucky I don't hang out in hooker bars as I've never had this problem lol! I very rarely carry my passport. I do carry it if I am going to do something like change my True or Dtac service or check into a hotel, but normally only carry my Thai driver's license. Prior to that, the police were content to see my international license at traffic stops.

In all likelihood the 4 foreign nationals had no ID on them whatsoever. The police must have checked other foreigners as well. But few if any carry around their passports clubbing at night, so those foreigners probably did have some form of ID, whether driver's license or passport copy or both.

I don't think the 4 w/o passports will be charged w/ any crime as long as they can produce their passports. They surely can. So, not that big of a deal.

Generally speaking, I think this is true, I have always found that someone instigates it for the police to ask you for your passport and visa, unlike many countries which ask for them, and then seize them for exploitation... does Dubai? ring a bell???? many foreigners are offered work, and their passport is demanded, and then confiscated by the employer,,,,, Geez you don't think their is a corrupt labor market in the world????

Seen it happen to many relatives that are Thai in foreign countries... I think they call it, Human trafficking.... Been going on for many years... I have always protected my passport overseas, but never found a problem in Thailand..... An explanation was always, accepted, verified, and no problems.....

Just my observation........ wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

Law or no law they will do what ever they want....

No.

Pay now or wait your chance to go to court ( in monkey house).

You'd have to be charged w/ a crime under the law to go to court. In this case, quote the law and tell us the crime under that law. No? Didn't think so.

Enough w/ the silly farang victimism and spreading of paranoia.

Next troll.

I have been here 19 years and have lived in 3 cities so don't even suggest I not know how the system works. If you live in Thailand you must stay in the house under the sheets to not know how it works here. There are laws but they don't mean sh-t. The BIB will do how they like and other departments operate likewise .... I know from experience ! Just walk down Soi Cowboy or down the side walks in Bkk to see laws not enforced. Drive your car around town at night and see how laws are invented. Get into an accident and see who is at fault ..... They do what they want !

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Police do what they want in every country in the world....in some more evident than others...in some you can find a complaint....that's all.

Well surprise, surprise one of the biggest money making activities in Thailand(if not THE biggest) i.e. prostitution, is illegal. No wonder there appears to be so much confusion in the application and observance of the law generally and I suggest this would also apply to immigration matters such as what is being discussed

I do carry my passport with me in Pattaya.

It's just a place where you're more likely to get into trouble, and being able to present a passport could be just the ticket to be on your way before more questions are asked.

I get that laminated copy they make for 100B right next to the Soi 5 immigration office. Has your visa on one side and passport on the other.

• Like 1

You *are* required to present documentation of your immigrations status on demand, and for 99% of us that is our passport.

"Presenting" doesn't mean "presenting the passport that you must be carrying on you at all times."

This has been discussed ad nauseam here on TV. Look up the many previous threads. Nobody's ever been able to find any law saying that foreigners must carry their passports, specifically, at all times. Nobody's been fined or deported for not doing so. (If you think there is such a law, then quote it.) They must have a passport, yes. So you can be detained until you produce it, if BiB or Immigration so chooses. If you have no passport, the obvious follows. What else is new?

Keep carrying those copies and DL.

I don't know why people spend the time on this kind of thing...

People, let me make it clear for you.... The only rule in Thailand is that they make up the rules as they go along.

It doesn't matter if there is or isn't a law about carrying your passport or anything else. If the nice BIB wants you to show him your passport and you dont have it, you can either pay the nice man a reasonable fine, which he will determine on the spot based on the situation and your negotiation skills, or he will escalate the situation by arresting you (or worse).

This western "I know the law, and i know my rights" way of thinking is totally useless here. It's probably the number one reason why people get into serious police trouble and / or get their asses kicked or killed in this country.

Even if you carried a copy of the Thai Penal code with you to prove your point, the cop wouldn't care and probably wouldn't be able to read and comprehend what it said. And he would lose face, so it would just end up costing you more in the end. So what difference does it make whether there is or isn't a law for this or that?

There is no point in arguing over a $3 fare with an uneducated, financially desperate, possibly dangerous taxi driver... Smile, pay him the 100 baht, and walk away.

Likewise, when the cop demands your passport, you smile, provide him with some reasonable form of ID (and if you are out in a foriegn country without ANY ID, you are a fool), if he insists on a passport, you negotiate a "donation", thank him for his kindness, and walk away. In the worst case, as with Immigration officer, you may still have to produce the passport, but you are not likely to be arrested.

Arrests usually happen when foolish foriegners get confrontational with the police and beligerent about rights they may have "back home" that they think apply in Thailand...

They DON'T. Get over it.

• Like 1

Technically all foreigners are required by law to have an official ID on their person at all times (just like Thai people). This means their passports. Copies of this or that page are not official IDs, though in certain instances may suffice, as may a Thai driving license.

The purpose is to not only identify people, but to see if their visa status is valid. Having photo copies of your picture page is therefore not sufficient. Even with a copy of the visa/entry stamp page it's still insufficient as they could be from another passport.

All that being said, I live in Thailand and do not carry my passport with me and in 15 years have yet to be asked to show it at any time. Just bad luck for these folks.

Standard police are not qualified nor trained to determine your visa status or validity .

I am not sure but I believe I read somewhere, if person does not have passport to produce on the spot, there is a time frame when they must show it.

Under normal situations you probably would be given time to produce. If your in a region or district where the local constabulary are less than scrupulous (which can vary if you live in Bangkok) the Boys-in-Brown will see it as an opportunity to extort some money out of you. If you're a lawyer you might be able to talk your way out of it, but they will usually intimidate you into cashing-out. That's why it's always a good idea to carry as little cash with you when ever possible. If you're packing a wad of 1000 baht notes in your wallet they'll probably turn up the heat to see how many units they can extract. It's totally illegal but then WHAT is legal in Thailand? Even the laws they create are rarely enforced.

Addendum:

Not all Thai police are like that. I've got to know many that were fine upstanding individuals that really took pride in their work and weren't out to rip people off. Most were in the Thonglor police station.

Really....

Fine upstanding individuals.... at Thonglor???

Bullshit.

My house got robbed in the Thonglor district and I had to PAY the Thonglor police to investigate even though I knew, with evidence, beyond a shadow of a doubt, who had broken in. They showed up, contaminated the evidence, refused to interview the guilty party (who was the security guard and logically the FIRST person they should have spoken to), and then they made a show of pointing at windows and places where things were missing, and never even tried to arrest anybody. The guard, who had worked on the property for 10 years, fled the next day. Never to be seen again....

So, these "fine upstanding individuals" only succeeded in costing me an extra few hundred bucks on top of everything the guard stole from me....

I don't think there is a cop in this country that is worth the skidmark in his boxers.

The police are the second largest organized crime syndicate in the country, second only to the politicans.

• Like 1

Passport check. No passport on him, so he got fined. He's lived here for many years, has a Thai DL. No good.

Did he have a copy of his passport w/ current stamps?

(The officer was rather clear that the law states we must carry the original!) We were not fined and were let go after a bit . . . Like craig says, it can and does happen.

And in the end you weren't fined and let go.

You must be able to prove who you are with an accepted ID.

For foreign tourists and foreigners on a visa, any visa, in Thailand that seems to be a passport only.

Nobody said anything about your not having a passport to prove who you are. Of course you must have one and be able to produce it.

OBVIOUSLY you may be detained (often mistakenly called "arrested"--see NomadJoe's stickied post here) until you produce it, if it's demanded by the police. YES you can be sure of avoiding that inconvenience by carrying your passport at all times. You might also be able to avoid that inconvenience by paying a so-called "fine." (Police can try to subject you to a "fine" for most anything, really. I've had phony traffic "fines" a few times.)

Most people will opt for the risk of detention or the "fine," which in one post above amounted to all of B300. I do. I also believe, based on my own experience and many testimonials, that the risk is mitigated to near zero if you have a DL, esp a Thai DL, (WITH YOUR PICTURE) AND copies of your PP & current stamps. OBVIOUSLY that risk still exists, and nobody has ever said it doesn't. But this begs the real question here.

The question is whether the law requires you to carry your passport on your person at all times. After all, you do HAVE it (at home, where you also have most of your clothes) and you CAN produce it in short order--unless you're quite far from home/hotel, in which case it would be wise to carry the original.

On this particular question, there has been and continues to be much disagreement--for good reason, by some very bright members here. Though it can no longer be debated in this thread, given that the law is now crystal clear, you may still read a balanced debate in threads previous to the crystal clarity, notably here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566309-carrying-passport-with-you/.

Now, if I've given any inaccurate information in this post, I would appreciate knowing what it is, as I never have any such intention.

• Like 1

Technically all foreigners are required by law to have an official ID on their person at all times (just like Thai people). This means their passports. Copies of this or that page are not official IDs, though in certain instances may suffice, as may a Thai driving license.

The purpose is to not only identify people, but to see if their visa status is valid. Having photo copies of your picture page is therefore not sufficient. Even with a copy of the visa/entry stamp page it's still insufficient as they could be from another passport.

All that being said, I live in Thailand and do not carry my passport with me and in 15 years have yet to be asked to show it at any time. Just bad luck for these folks.

New UK Passports have the passport number on every page. I carry a copy as a picture in my phone as I would rather be asked to produce my original passport by going home or asking someone to bring it to the Police than risk losing it or having it stolen by keeping it in my bike. Then I would have to travel around 800kms to Bangkok. Police have the right and understandably to check foreigners have valid Visas.

New UK Passports have the passport number on every page. I carry a copy as a picture in my phone as I would rather be asked to produce my original passport by going home or asking someone to bring it to the Police than risk losing it or having it stolen by keeping it in my bike. Then I would have to travel around 800kms to Bangkok. Police have the right and understandably to check foreigners have valid Visas.

Keeping a copy in your phone, hell yeah that will be secure, more chance of your phone being stolen than you being asked to produce your passport! !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many years ago I was drinking in a bar in Bangkok and a semi-drunk high ranking police officer came and sat next to me at my table. He had overheard me talking Thai to a girl - so I couldn't pretend I didn't understand him when he started talking to me. He stayed there and got a free drink from the bar, then bought one, then insisted that I buy him one. By now he was quite drunk and getting very belligerent.

He started yelling, "I don't like farang. I caught an Englishman forking my wife and I shot him." Then he demanded to see my passport - which I was not carrying. At this point he told me he was going to arrest me and pointed to his gun and smiled. I was terrified so I stood up, jumped over the table and ran for my life. I didn't stop until I couldn't take another step. I never saw him again.

• Like 1

Although I believe Thai law requires your passport or a Thai picture ID. I usually provide my home country driver's license, or some other foreign picture ID. Doing so has been sufficient for over forty years in all forms of police stops, hotel check-ins, or in-kingdom land/sea transport reservations.

You *are* required to present documentation of your immigrations status on demand, and for 99% of us that is our passport.

"Presenting" doesn't mean "presenting the passport that you must be carrying on you at all times."

This has been discussed ad nauseam here on TV. Look up the many previous threads. Nobody's ever been able to find any law saying that foreigners must carry their passports, specifically, at all times. Nobody's been fined or deported for not doing so. (If you think there is such a law, then quote it.) They must have a passport, yes. So you can be detained until you produce it, if BiB or Immigration so chooses. If you have no passport, the obvious follows. What else is new?

I have read the laws and several legal opinions on this. There are 2 laws. One that requires every person to carry state issued identification (whether you are Thai or a foreigner). Your Thai DL accomplishes this. If you don't have a Thai DL, then carrying your passport on you does become a legal requirement. (It's called the Thai ID card act.) The other law, an immigration law, states that every alien must prove they have entered the kingdom legally if asked by a competent official. For this usually a copy is sufficient. But they may not be convinced and require you to produce the original. During this time they can detain you. There is no law in Thailand specifically requiring you to carry your passport. Period.

Edit: Just realized Jsixpack provided a link to a post I made a few months ago on this topic where I list references. Here it is again.

Edited by NomadJoe

I have read the laws and several legal opinions on this. There are 2 laws. One that requires every person to carry state issued identification (whether you are Thai or a foreigner). Your Thai DL accomplishes this. If you don't have a Thai DL, then carrying your passport on you does become a legal requirement. (It's called the Thai ID card act.) The other law, an immigration law, states that every alien must prove they have entered the kingdom legally if asked by a competent official. For this usually a copy is sufficient. But they may not be convinced and require you to produce the original. During this time they can detain you. There is no law in Thailand specifically requiring you to carry your passport. Period.

Edit: Just realized Jsixpack provided a link to a post I made a few months ago on this topic where I list references. Here it is again.

Please be more specific with your references. Some are in Thai and hard to translate. One you did reference was this one:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request.

I've yet to see a reference to an official website saying a passport and visa are not required to be either on your person or available within a "reasonable" timeframe.

Well said.

Please be more specific with your references. Some are in Thai and hard to translate. One you did reference was this one:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request.

I've yet to see a reference to an official website saying a passport and visa are not required to be either on your person or available within a "reasonable" timeframe.

That link is for tourists and the advice is correct for tourists when you consider the Thai ID card act which requires all people to carry legal identification in Thailand. It is advice for people that don't have a Thai DL, which covers 99.9% of tourists. So yes, tourists (that don't have a Thai DL) must by law carry thier passports, as that is the only legal ID accepted by the Thai government. Having said that, of course police will generally accept your home license and/or a copy of your passport (including entry stamp) but you are not strictly legal.

I did provide the section of the immigration law as well.

Here are some more references from 2004 but the laws have not changed since then.

"if you are worried about losing your passport you can make a photocopy and carry that instead"

-Pol Lt Col Panudej Sookwong, Superintendent of Phuket Tourist Police

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=775

The Lt. Col. elaborates later the same year:

"You should get the photocopy of the passport made after you come into Thailand. That way we can check everything – name, nationality, date of entry, expiration date of visa and passport, last destination and so on. If you make the copy before you come to Thailand, we cannot check all this information.

If you are worried about losing your passport, you can leave it in the hotel and have the front office manager or another person in authority sign the photocopy and write his name and position on it to verify it is an accurate copy.”

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=775

On that same link, you will see a Maj. from Bangkok stating this:

"Tourists must carry their passports with them at all times. This is an international rule. A passport is like an ID card; if you don’t have it with you, the police may arrest you.

It’s like showing a driving license to the police – if you show them a copy, there is no way for them to tell whether it is genuine or fake."

Note that he is referring specifically to tourists, and even stating that it is like a Thai ID card. This is in reference to the Thai ID card act, not the immigration law.

It's unofficial, but the author of this site has a similar opinion. http://www.thaizer.com/basics/carrying-your-passport-in-thailand/

And another: http://www.stickmanweekly.com/Weekly/weekly172.html

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

You should carry a color copy of your passport, entry stamp, visa page and exit card with you at all time. If you have a Thai driving license it shows that you are a long time resident of Thailand and your passport number is also mentioned there. So that may help. But I never take the chance and carry all the copies with me too.

It's good if you chance a good policeman. How about if the policeman is looking for trouble who doesn't want copies of passport?

If you insist that copies are OK, then let's meet and let's see if your passport copies are enough to show to any policeman.

You should carry a color copy of your passport, entry stamp, visa page and exit card with you at all time. If you have a Thai driving license it shows that you are a long time resident of Thailand and your passport number is also mentioned there. So that may help. But I never take the chance and carry all the copies with me too.

It's good if you chance a good policeman. How about if the policeman is looking for trouble who doesn't want copies of passport?

If you insist that copies are OK, then let's meet and let's see if your passport copies are enough to show to any policeman.

There are two different issues here. One is what the law is, and the other what is recommended tourists or expats do. When dealing with the corrupt police here, the latter is more important, but the prior is also important to know.

There are two different issues here. One is what the law is, and the other what is recommended tourists or expats do. When dealing with the corrupt police here, the latter is more important, but the prior is also important to know.

Yeah! That's why I said that it's good if you chance a good policeman. How about if the corrupt one?

i have never been stopped or asked for any id in 28 years of living here EXCEPT when driving on out of the way on small roads on the Burmese border up north and had to produce my passport (being from Phuket and heading to laos i had it with me)

But i was told that if u cant produce ur passport immediately if asked, that they will give u a certain amount of time to have it produced, so they can verify your on a valid visa

I travel in border areas with Laos and Myanmar all the time (including about 20 trips to Mae Sot in the past year and a bit and a couple of trips north to Tha Song Yang and numerous trips to the Three Pagodas Pass) and have never been asked for a passport, but that's because I'm a white westerner. The Thai authorities are much more interested in Burmese, or Burmese looking people that could be in the country illegally (mainly in the vicinity of the Burmese border). My Sri Lankan friend was asked for his passport at the last checkpoint just before Mae Sot (the soldier only looked at his passport front page) to confirm he wasn't an Indo-Burmese person. This was heading to Mae Sot and then into Myanmar that same day. His Myanmar visa was in order and so was his Thai one, but this was of no interest to the soldier. Since I speak fluent Thai, the soldier asked me to tell my friend to produce his passport.

A few years back I was asked to tell my Vietnamese friend to show his passport - the police never asked for mine, nor did they care. On another occasion, I was picking up some Australian band from the airport in BKK late at night and was stopped at a checkpoint somewhere around Chalong Krung Road. Again the police only asked for the passports of my travelling companions by asking me to tell them. I didn't have my passport with me on that night and I wasn't worried either even if I were asked - I have a way of dealing with the police and if you can speak fluent Thai, are a bit assertive, but otherwise friendly and able to joke with them there's little reason for them to make any further demands. But in my case, I have never even been asked to show my passport in the first place. However, maybe it could just be that I never hang out at some farang bar or other suspicious location, that's just not me - those are exactly the types of places where police may randomly come in and check IDs. Also, I drive nearly everywhere I go so the only time I would ever be stopped (and the only times I have ever been stopped, but as mentioned in all cases, the police were interested in my friends) was when I was driving.

Last month on the way to Laos I was driving and the police at a checkpoint south of Khon Kaen wanted my Vietnamese friend passenger to be urine tested! It was a bit confusing but in the end the police couldn't be bothered and we were soon on our way. As usual, I had to relay the information from the police officer to my friend who later on burst out laughing (well, after we left the checkpoint of course).

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Yeah! That's why I said that it's good if you chance a good policeman. How about if the corrupt one?

In that case, the form of photo ID you will need to present to said officer will not bear your likeness, and a photocopy of it will definitely not suffice. You also won't get it back.

Never been asked for it in 22 years and have no intention of starting to carry it around now. Stopped by Plod twice on Spurious driving incidents and they wanted licence not Passport. I certainly didn't have that either !!

On that same link, you will see a Maj. from Bangkok stating this:

"Tourists must carry their passports with them at all times. This is an international rule. A passport is like an ID card; if you dont have it with you, the police may arrest you.

There is no such "international rule". Only local rules apply and these inevitably vary from country to country.

I'll post this again:

This has been argued many times here on this forum. Here's an interesting post from a member:

http://www.thaivisa....-4#entry5452041

The Thai law is clear as mud. Which is how they like it. Open to interpretation. This link shows the laws translated as best we can:

http://www.thaivisa....92#entry5443292

And here's another listing of the laws:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 59 :The Director General, or the competent official deputized by Director General, shall have the authority to arrest and suppress any person violating this Act. They shall also have the authority to issue a subpoena, warrant of arrest or search, make arrest , search , or detain. They shall also have the authority to conduct inquiry into the offense against the provisions of this Act in the same manner as the inquiry official under the Criminal Procedure Code.

It's true most here have never been asked for their passport. It's also true many have been and have had to pay money or end up at the local police station if they didn't have their passport on them. And as we all know, the BiB like ways to make money. This is an easy one.

The second link above has some good information also. So far, this is the most definitive information I've been able to find. Which for most of us, basically says you need to be able to present your visa (which is in your passport) if asked or be "possibly" fined/cited/arrested. Up to the officer involved. Clear as mud.

I've yet to see a link to 'Thai Law' that states a passport must be carried at all times.

Maybe someone can oblige?

There is no such law, end of!

Whether it's a law, ministerial regulation, or immigration department regulation it's there. Like I said, I don't carry but if I was stopped and the coppers were so inclined, I'm sure I'd have to donate to the New Years party fund.

I once asked my local immigration office, Kanchanaburi, if I was legally required to carry my passport, the reply was no.