Former Thai Rak Thai Mp For Ratchaburi Shot Dead

penzman

Former Thai Rak Thai MP for Ratchaburi shot dead

Phetchaburi - A former Thai Rak Thai Party MP for this central province was shot dead Saturday night.

Kobkul Nopobromdee, former Thai Rak Thai MP for Ratchaburi's Constituency 1, was shot dead at 8:30 pm on the outbound Phetkasem Road in Phetchaburi.

Police said the former MP died at the scene.

Her driver, Chatree, and her aide, Sgt Saichol Kaewsaithong, were injured and rushed to a hospital.

Police said gunmen followed Kobkul in a pick-up truck and pulled up the truck beside Kobkul's pick-up truck which was stopped at a red light at an intersection.

A gunman then fired an M-16 assault rifle at her and the assailants sped their pick-up truck away.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30005092

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRT MP shot dead in her car

A Thai Rak Thai MP for Ratchaburi was shot dead in her car last night. Police suspect her death might be linked to a political conflict. Kobkul Nop-amornbodi, 47, was shot by gunmen who chased her in a pick-up truck as she returned from an ordination ceremony in the province. Her driver was seriously injured.

She served one term, and was re-elected for a second in the April 2 election

-BP

--------------------------------

This is a sad situation for Thailand and may be the start of an escalation of tensions. The pot has put on the high burner for some time ago and until someone does something rational to take it off it will eventually boil over. Name calling and minor scuffles are one thing, armed attacks are completely another

I wonder if it is a case of dead women tell no tales ?

:o

I wonder if it was an opposing political figure?

I wonder if it was a crime syndicate who felt threatened?

I wonder if it was some kind of personal reprisal?

I wonder,-- I wonder.

Strange some people only wonder about one possibility.

I wonder,-- I wonder.

There’s nothing to be wonders, the bottom line is powers and money.

I wonder,-- I wonder.

And I wondered how long it would take, for someone to try to link this sad murder, to the PAD or opposition parties. Knee-jerk reaction too obvious to avoid ? So what on earth would they have had to gain from this death ?

Appropos of which, I wonder whether anyone was ever caught, for the bomb outside Khun Prem's home, prior to the election ? Anybody heard anything ??

A previously unreported policeman riding along and providing protection was also shot and wounded... Thirty-eight spent shells from two M-16's found at the scene...

hmmm.... sounds more and more like a suicide in Thailand... :o

Slain politician was under police guard

Former Thai Rak Thai Party MP Kobkul Nopamornbodi, who was shot dead on Saturday night, had sought police protection because she feared she would be murdered, Ratchaburi's police chief said yesterday.

Maj-General Chai-charn Kittichan said he had warned Kobkul to travel less often, but she continued visiting constituents frequently even though she believed her life was in danger.

"I warned her that if she travelled a lot it would be hard to guard against attacks," Chaicharn said. At Kobkul's request he had assigned a police guard of one or two officers at a time to protect her.

Kobkul was killed in a hail of gunfire when her pick-up stopped at an intersection on Phetkasem Road in Tambon Chedihuk of Ratchaburi's Muang district at 8.30pm on Saturday.

Continued here:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/29/hea...es_30005152.php

She was a TRT MP, won the April election again, she's also Suwat Liptapanlop's cousin, she just oversaw her brother being elected to the Senate. That's politics.

She started building a huge market to directly compete with the well-established one, she owns several construction businesses that lived off government contracts (while being an MP). That's business.

Obviously she stepped on lots of toes in her career, and it backfired.

Business conflicts are often resolved by force here.

She was a TRT MP, won the April election again, she's also Suwat Liptapanlop's cousin, she just oversaw her brother being elected to the Senate. That's politics.

She started building a huge market to directly compete with the well-established one, she owns several construction businesses that lived off government contracts (while being an MP). That's business.

Obviously she stepped on lots of toes in her career, and it backfired.

Business conflicts are often resolved by force here.

Therefore, she has to pay with her lives.

Only theories in Kobkul case

With no significant leads, police yesterday attributed the assassination of Thai Rak Thai (TRT) MP Kobkul Nopamornbodi to either a business deal that went sour or the escalating political rivalries in Ratchaburi.

Kobkul, who had already served a full term in Parliament and won re-election in the scrapped April 2 election, was a prominent business woman involved in construction.

Kobkul’s brother, Kecha Saksomboon, had won one of three Senate seats in Ratchaburi province. Police speculate that the rise of Kobkul and Kecha in the local political arena could have sparked some resentment.

“Both theories are plausible and warrant further detailed investigation,” Region 7 Provincial Police General Chalong Sonjai told reporters yesterday.

Kobkul was in the back seat of her car Saturday night when a pick-up truck stopped at a red light beside her vehicle and opened fire. She died at the scene.

Kobkul was accompanied by her driver, Chart Supranant, and bodyguard, Saichon Kaewsaithong, both of whom remain hospitalized with bullet wounds to their midsections and legs.

Kobkul’s entourage had just attended a Buddhist ordination ceremony and were on their way to a second social engagement when the shooting occurred.

The use of an M-16 semiautomatic rifle and the presence of a second truck to block a possible escape by Kobkul’s car have led police to believe the attack was a professional hit.

Kobkul’s death is the second politically linked killing in the province in less than a month. On May 3, Muang subdistrict Mayor Prayoon Suanpleng was shot dead.

Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said the fact that two attacks have thus far resulted in no arrests could lead to further incidents in the area given Ratchaburi’s reputation as an area that is prone to political rivalry.

Source: ThaiDay 29 May 2006

Therefore, she has to pay with her lives.

They've been killing enviromental activists and monks, what is the value of TRT MP to them?

Someone said the rule of law has strenghtened in Thailand recently. Not by much.

A person's death. however caused, is always a sad thing. She was, I presume,a smart businesswoman who may well, as several people have speculated here, have stepped on the toes of some Poo Yai. Interesting that the two men accompanying her were not killed in the hail of bullets and just how much did they see. Can they I.D. the truck, motorbike, attackers, etc. Are they in protective custody or?

There must be many clues that Thailands illustrious and efficient police force can check out. Now that we have The Great One back in his office, this case should be solved fairly quickly, with confessions and graphic reenactments to come. :o

According to the article, it was a 'professional hit'. If I were investigating I would start with seeing which policemen were off duty that night. :o

Does that include the ones I saw in uniform sitting at a wedding reception?

To borrow ratcatcher's phrase, new "illustrious and efficient police"will be brought in to investigate the death:

Police chief transferred over Kobkul's murder

The chief of Ratchaburi's Muang Police Station and a senior officer have been transferred to another province following the assassination of former Thai Rak Thai MP Kobkul Nopamornbordee late on Saturday.

Station chief Colonel Ekkarat Chotekunchorn and Lt-Colonel Chanachol Phanichkunchorn had been transferred out of Ratchaburi yesterday because of problems with their performance, Police Region 7 announced.

Continued here:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/30/nat...al_30005252.php

Transfer orders for top Ratchaburi cops

In the wake of the assassination of Thai Rak Thai MP Kobkul Nopamornbodi in Ratchaburi last Saturday, two top police officers from Muang district police station were yesterday transferred to posts in other provinces for 180 days.

Pol Col Ekarat Chotkulchorn, Muang district police station superintendent, and Pol Lt-Col Chanachon Panichkunchorn, will receive temporary transfers to posts in Kanchanaburi and Suphan Buri, respectively.

Police say the temporary out-of-town postings are punishment for the failure of the officers to prevent the assassinations of two prominent local figures.

Kobkul's death is the second politically linked killing in the province in less than a month. On May 3, Muang sub-district Mayor Prayoon Suanpleng was also shot dead. :o:D

Kobkul's husband, Manit Nopamornbodi, said he was devastated by the death of his wife. He said that conflicts related to their construction business were unlikely to have been a reason for the killing.

Deputy TRT party leader Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan said Chantaburi MP Pimpa Chanprasong had extra information for investigators. Pimpa has revealed that Kobkul told her 10 days before the dissolution of Parliament on February 24 that she and her family had received several anonymous death threats.

- TD

Edited by sriracha john

Gen. Kovit visited Ratchaburi Province to encourage official on investigating the murder of former TRT Party MP

Royal Thai Police Commissioner-General Kovit Wattana (โกวิท วัฒนะ) has traveled to Ratchaburi (ราชบุรี) Province to encourage officials who are investigating the murder of former Thai Rak Thai Party MP Kobkul Naphomrawadee (กอบกุล นพอมรบดี).

During his visit, he has ordered officials to tighten the monitoring process in the risky areas. He has also instructed them to install closed-circuit television around in those areas.

As for the investigation on the murder of Mrs. Kobkul, the Commissioner-General has followed up on the progress of the case, but he has refused to reveal the details of the matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 May 2006

Arrests imminent in MP's murder

The gunmen who killed Thai Rak Thai MP Kobkul Nopamornbor-dee and the mastermind who ordered her assassination last Saturday in Ratchaburi have been identified and will be soon arrested, police spokesman Pol General Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj said yesterday.

Arrest warrants are expected to be approved for two individuals within the next 72 hours, he said.

Police chief Kovit Watthan said police could not confirm that the gunmen had earlier carried out assassinations in other western provinces under the jurisdiction of Divisional Police Region 7.

More:

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/31/nat...al_30005337.php

Police certain of arresting Kobkul’s killers soon

Police spokesman Pol Lt-Gen Ajiravid Subarnbhesaj said yesterday that the gunmen suspected of killing Thai Rak Thai (TRT) MP Kobkul Nopamornbodi will be arrested in a few days as police have compiled the necessary evidence.

“The investigation team has almost completed the jigsaw puzzle that connects the gunmen to the persons behind them,” said the spokesman.

Pol Lt-Gen Ajiravid added that the investigators, led by Deputy Police Commissioner Pol Maj-Gen Phiewphan Damapong, are gathering evidence to request an arrest warrant, which is expected to be completed within 72 hours.

He added that forensic science has been used extensively in the investigation in order to avoid any errors.

Police Commissioner Pol Gen Kowit Wattana yesterday went to Ratchaburi to meet the investigation team. He urged them to work carefully to ensure that the culprits, and not scapegoats, are arrested. The murder was probably the result of a serious business or political conflict, he said.

Former Democrat MP Boonmak Sirinaowakul said yesterday that he will hold a press conference today to rebut Provincial Police Region Seven Commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Chalong Sonjai’s claim that, in view of the intense political competition in the area, Kobkul’s arch-rival, who was disqualified by the Election Commission, might be connected to her death.

- TD

Killing of Ratchburi MP another lesson for Thai democracy

Despite repeated claims by some Thai political activists that democracy in this country is progressing fast after the implementation of the People’s Constitution in 1997, the murder last week of former Ratchburi MP Korbkul Nop-Amornbordee has proved that we have not yet progressed beyond square one.

Korbkul, a former member of the House of Representatives for Ratchburi, was killed Saturday by bullet shots from automatic rifles fired by several hired gunmen riding in a pick-up.

The incident was horrific because it occurred to a female lawmaker from the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party in the middle of traffic in Ratchburi, only 100 kilometres south of Bangkok. The shooting occurred while Korbkul’s car, which she was riding in with her driver and bodyguard, was stopped at the downtown crossroad waiting at traffic lights.

The gunmen’s car pulled up alongside and opened fire on the ill-fated politician, killing her instantly and wounding the driver and bodyguard.

Police suspect that the motive behind the murder was either political or business related. They said Korbkul, who was a cousin of Deputy Prime Minister Suwat Lipitapallop, may have been in conflict with powerful politicians.

The police said Korbkul’s family business may have affected other businessmen in the area.

Even though political killings happened before during the time of military-controlled dictatorships three decades ago, the killing of a national political figure is rare in today’s climate.

The brutal killing of the Ratchburi MP was a shock to those interested in Thai politics who have the faith in the present freedom-driven Constitution.

It was interesting that such an assassination occurred in the midst of Thailand’s political turmoil.

Korbkul’s murder case should raise few questions concerning Thai politicians in general. Like many lawmakers in the House of Representatives, Korbkul’s political base had been largely drawn from her family’s business background.

There had been many instances in the past that political problems were arose from business conflicts of interest, and such conflicts became the main obstacles to the country’s political and democratic development.

From the killing of former MP Korbkul to the on-going situation of national political turmoil, we can assume that Thai politics and Thai politicians are becomming overwhelmed with the temptation of power and the desire for successful businesses gained through the possession of such political power.

With their present status and positions, caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin and his colleagues in the caretaker government should help rid the political system in Thailand of dirty power and pave a way to get rid of vested business interests from all government power institutions.

- Business Day Editorial

A former Thai Rak Thai Party MP for this central province was shot dead Saturday night.

Politics - Thai style!! Well deserved duai!!

Nice to see a TRT ran into a bullet ...

No sadness here

You are a nice chap!

A former Thai Rak Thai Party MP for this central province was shot dead Saturday night.

No sadness here

You are a nice chap!

always a sad sack to whine when the abusive get theirs

No sadness here

You are a nice chap!

always a sad sack to whine when the abusive get theirs

First you praise the murder of a woman,then you call me a 'sad sack'.A 'sad sack.... :o:D

You have made my day wee fella. :D

Suspect arrested in Kobkul's murder case

A police spokesman said police have arrested a suspect who allegedly took part in the murder of former Thai Rak Thai MP Kobkul Nopamornbodi.

Pol Col Sakchai Tanboon-ek, spokesman of the Provincial Police Bureau 7, said the suspected was being detained and interrogated at the Ratchaburi Muang district police station.

Sakchai said police was seeking more warrants to arrest four more suspects.

Full story from The Nation here.

the "suspects" are now dying off due to ever-popular "suicide"...

One suspect in Kobkul's murder killed by poison

Ratchaburi - A key suspect in the murder of former Thai Rak Thai MP Kobkul Nopamornbodi died of pesticide Wednesday, police said.

It was not clear whether Sangad Pumpeng had committed suicide or had been silenced at the order of the mastermind of Kobkul's murder, said Pol Lt Gen Chalong Somjai, commissioner of the Provincial Police Bureau 7.

Sangad's wife, Thassawan Pumpeng, found her husband with a fuming house at the house of another suspect, Pongpat Naknoo, the manager of Srimuang Market.

Thassawan rushed her husband to a hospital where he died. Doctors said he died of poison.

Continued here:

http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/r...newsid=30005374

Edited by sriracha john