Tax query when renewing work permit

A Phillipine colleague of mine will soon be looking to renew their visa, work permit already renewed. She doesn't earn enough to pay tax but i am assuming she will still need to go to the tax office and get a tax number and confirmation paperwork that she doesn't have to pay tax. Is this correct? Or will immigration be aware she doesn't need to pay tax when they see her school contract and salary details and therefore she doesn't need to go to the tax office prior to visa renewal?

Last year I had to provide a copy of my income tax filing (PND.91) and the receipt confirming payment of tax when renewing my work permit. I'm not sure if it was needed for my extension of stay as well, since my company pays a consultant to handle all the paperwork. However, I am not a teacher and I earned enough to owe tax, so I can say what your colleague would need to provide.

Last year I had to provide a copy of my income tax filing (PND.91) and the receipt confirming payment of tax when renewing my work permit. I'm not sure if it was needed for my extension of stay as well, since my company pays a consultant to handle all the paperwork. However, I am not a teacher and I earned enough to owe tax, so I can say what your colleague would need to provide.

If you are not a teacher then you probably extended under National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2,1 which does require specific evidence of income exceeding certain thresholds depending on your nationality and in particular Income Tax then paid; hence why you needed to supply the PND 91 and your employer's receipted PND 1s amongst the other required papers.

As Ubonjoe has already posted above, teachers are exempted from any specific salary threshold when extending under cases 2.6, 2.7.

That is not to say that an immigration officer would not ask to see the most recent PND 91, it's just that no specific income would need to be proven.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I'm curious and a friend may have a similar problem - he has a contract and earns 14k a month as per the contract, work permit with 12 month extension - he works at a tutoring school - the income is such that over the year no tax is payable - can he still go and get a new non B visa in vientienne in July on the same documents as before ? I ask because last year I worked at a government school last year for 4 months and had to pay 100 baht each month for some kind of stamps, but I never knew exactly what they were for ? Does anyone know ? At the time the salary was about 26k a month

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm curious and a friend may have a similar problem - he has a contract and earns 14k a month as per the contract, work permit with 12 month extension - he works at a tutoring school - the income is such that over the year no tax is payable - can he still go and get a new non B visa in vientienne in July on the same documents as before ? I ask because last year I worked at a government school last year for 4 months and had to pay 100 baht each month for some kind of stamps, but I never knew exactly what they were for ? Does anyone know ? At the time the salary was about 26k a month

Your friend should be able to get another extension of stay without getting a new visa if he is working for the same company. There is no need to get a new visa every year.

Your 26k baht income is high enough you should of been paying taxes unless you have enough allowed deductions. Besides taxes you should also of been paying social security. I don't know what the 100 baht was for.

There is no proof of tax payments listed for getting an extension of stay (it is not a visa) in police order 305/2551 for teaching (2.6 & 2.7).

But it is possible immigration office could ask for it

This is for a teacher. Recently one of our teachers renewed his workpermit and when he went to samutprakan immigration for his extension of stay,they do required tax forms etc. i am a teacher but i have a non o spouse visa supported by income, again i need to supply evidence i pay tax. My colleagues situation is that her salary is such that after deductions she doesn't have to pay tax so i was wondering if she needed a nil return document from the tax office to confirm this which i think she probably does.

There is no proof of tax payments listed for getting an extension of stay (it is not a visa) in police order 305/2551 for teaching (2.6 & 2.7).

This is for a teacher. Recently one of our teachers renewed his workpermit and when he went to samutprakan immigration for his extension of stay,they do required tax forms etc. i am a teacher but i have a non o spouse visa supported by income, again i need to supply evidence i pay tax. My colleagues situation is that her salary is such that after deductions she doesn't have to pay tax so i was wondering if she needed a nil return document from the tax office to confirm this which i think she probably does.

My experience is that everybody who works MUST file Personal Income Tax. Depending on the income, allowances and withheld tax by the employer, you have to pay, don't have to pay or get withheld tax back. In our province both Immigration and Labour want to have a copy of the PND91 form and the tax clearance receipt or refund cheque.

My experience is that everybody who works MUST file Personal Income Tax. Depending on the income, allowances and withheld tax by the employer, you have to pay, don't have to pay or get withheld tax back. In our province both Immigration and Labour want to have a copy of the PND91 form and the tax clearance receipt or refund cheque.

Is that working for a company or for teaching. The rules for work permits and extension of stay are not the same for them.

Yes it seems to vary from province to province! (thailand!! lol) Here you don't need to show any tax paperwork to the labour office but you do for immigration.

Depends on the category of Extension - it seems that as you are married to a Thai, you applied under National Police Order 777/2551 Case 2.18 where 40,000 THB pcm income or 400,000 THB bank deposit needs to be shown.

Your Philippine Colleague's school will probably apply under Case 2.6 or 2.7 for teachers, where an income threshold is not specified; however immigration may still want to see her most recent PND 91 Annual Personal Tax return and School PND 1 Salary Tax Return amongst other papers, not to check income, but to confirm legal employment.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Your friend should be able to get another extension of stay without getting a new visa if he is working for the same company. There is no need to get a new visa every year.

Your 26k baht income is high enough you should of been paying taxes unless you have enough allowed deductions. Besides taxes you should also of been paying social security. I don't know what the 100 baht was for.

Thanks Ubonjoe - I will find out about the 100 baht per month

I am confused by the different comments about the tax forms and immigration - so if you earn on paper 14k a month as an English coach/teacher you must still complete pnd 91 and if a tutoring school pnd 1 - even if no tax is payable .... And get a receipt etc to show 0 baht is payable

Dates taught

I accept social security is different and that I am researching

Thanks Ubonjoe - I will find out about the 100 baht per month

I am confused by the different comments about the tax forms and immigration - so if you earn on paper 14k a month as an English coach/teacher you must still complete pnd 91 and if a tutoring school pnd 1 - even if no tax is payable .... And get a receipt etc to show 0 baht is payable

Dates taught

I accept social security is different and that I am researching

You are working, so yes your employer must make tax returns, whatever your salary and you must fill out and file annual tax returns - again what ever your salary.

Nothing strange about that.