BKK-Khonkaen bus crashes after driver 'dozes off'

webfact

The single decker NCAA busses are mispercieved as being safer that the others. There should be a rule that prohibits older drivers lets say over 50 years from driving at night time. Many night workers in Thiland have poor quality day time sleep as people can't be bothered to keep the noise down and children can be very noisy in particular. People also end up doing other jobs or errands when they should be day sleeping either to help their family or to make extra money. I suspect younger people can handle this better than older ones.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So many drivers falling asleep in Thailand.

How come I never hear of this happening in the UK?

Whiskey???

It's many a decade since I used a long distance bus in Britain and the last time, in 1977, the coach from Glasgow to London had 2 drivers.

NCA have 2 to 3 drivers on their routs. NCA has had the best safety record on buses in Thailand but unfortunately they have had two wreaks in the past few days. Before these wreaks it has been 10 years for them to have an accident.

Not exactly. They had an accident about 4-5 years ago in Buriram. Google it.

Why is there no technology to warn bus and lorry drivers when they are about to fall asleep? This is a major problem all over the world and I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to invent a piece of equipment to monitor a driver's breathing pattern say and wake him/her up before falling asleep! Having owned a minivan company for a few years, I know full well that tiredness is a big problem for professional drivers.

...of course there is a system........but only in Mercedes cars.....!

..........................................................................................................................................employ monkeys,expect bananas....same sh*t another day.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I hope all the injured passengers make it. Of course, the press won't follow up on this anymore vis a vis an investigation of safety regulations and standards. I sure am glad that me or one of my family or friends is pinned in the wreckage of this bus waiting for a group of Thais to work me out.

I think I recall a system which focuses on the drivers eyes and sounds an alarm when he/she starts to doze off. Very Hi-Tec I would think, and if the companies are not willing to fork out for tachometers they certainly won't fork out for this, even if it is available.

Their "Tach-O-graph" not tachometer. Many are digital now days.

post-63954-0-51848200-1392655938_thumb.j

post-63954-0-41288800-1392655898_thumb.j

Need for classification. NCA DOES NOT USE MOCHIT they have their own terminal about 2km away. The article says

"The bus was operated by Nakhonchai Tour Company. A passenger said the bus departed Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Bangkok at 23.00 last night with maximum capacity and was bound for Khonkaen province." NCA does own a tour company which may use Mochit. That company is http://www.nakhonchaitour.com/nct/

Already been clarified, it was a NCA bus. The NCA bus to Khon Kaen leaves it's own terminus and then picks up further passengers from Morchit.

Why is there no technology to warn bus and lorry drivers when they are about to fall asleep? This is a major problem all over the world and I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to invent a piece of equipment to monitor a driver's breathing pattern say and wake him/her up before falling asleep! Having owned a minivan company for a few years, I know full well that tiredness is a big problem for professional drivers.

Face recognition software could probably work out if the drivers eyes have shut for more than a second or 2... attach that to a cattle prod that is inserted into the rectum of the driver when he gets into the vehicle and hey presto!

Need for classification. NCA DOES NOT USE MOCHIT they have their own terminal about 2km away. The article says

"The bus was operated by Nakhonchai Tour Company. A passenger said the bus departed Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Bangkok at 23.00 last night with maximum capacity and was bound for Khonkaen province." NCA does own a tour company which may use Mochit. That company is http://www.nakhonchaitour.com/nct/

Already been clarified, it was a NCA bus. The NCA bus to Khon Kaen leaves it's own terminus and then picks up further passengers from Morchit.

Worrying, I use them quite often. They appear to be one of the more reputable companies as their fleet seems well looked after and they stick to their scheduled wroute, unlike so many others who stop all over the place dropping off customers.

Whiskey???

Don't be ridiculous, it happens all over the world. More regularly in 3rd world countries because of lack of controls. A tachometer in every long distance vehicle should be the norm plus more technology to help drivers, as I mentioned in my previous post.

I didn't for one second think this post was being ridiculous . No it doesn't happen all over the world as you say in your next sentence about happening more in Thailand. The laughable thing about your post rude reply to the poster, was A tachometer. Do you know what a tachometer is? ill help you, it show how much the engine is putting out, how many revs per minute. Oh, that will really help someone who is falling asleep! hey...the needle says im at 6000 RPM, I better wake up, look down at the Tacho and ill be alright, and my passengers will be ok! Before you try and protect your precious posting, people are entitled to say what they think without someone attacking their fellow forum members. Doesn't feel nice does it.

telecom, on 17 Feb 2014 - 15:37, said:

Whiskey???

For a start, I think you need to check the difference in size, of the two countries, that may, well for a thinking person, enlighten you to the difference in distance Thai drivers drive. Having said that, in the great land down under, there is always two drivers, the buses also have a sleeper cab and the driver MUST have a rest, they also MUST have a log book which is frequently checked by the highway police.

Apart from the distance factor, which I agree is considerable, your last point was correct but incomplete.... laws are enforced in the other countries.

If you look at the mitrapaap, one hour driving on that, takes the same amount of energy out of me as driving from London to Gibraltar.

Dogs, cats, kids, houses, u turning cars, buffaloes, and finally nut job drivers.

• Like 1

it is a big problem all over the world. drove back from france once to the north of the uk, with a fellow driver beside me, left his truck in calais.

we were both tired. swapped driving every 30 min. it was xmas eve. even so we were both too tired and i pulled the plug, parked up and we went to bed. missed xmass but we both still breathing and living 25 years later.

"To North of UK" mmmmmmmm sounds like a big country

That is all very well but this is a country that can't keep street lights and security cameras operational.

it is a big problem all over the world. drove back from france once to the north of the uk, with a fellow driver beside me, left his truck in calais.

we were both tired. swapped driving every 30 min. it was xmas eve. even so we were both too tired and i pulled the plug, parked up and we went to bed. missed xmass but we both still breathing and living 25 years later.

"To North of UK" mmmmmmmm sounds like a big country

?? he??

driving from calais to aberdeen cant be done in 1 day in a heavy truck, so yes, if u like, it quite big.

only takes me 7h from issan to bkk in my car.

so now u are enlightend. with pleasure.

If they had the funds for the technology it would serve better for replacing bald tires, broken exhaust systems and better drivers with actual drivers licenses.

Maybe the government needs to subsidize this? After they sort out the rice scheme of course. And tablets.

Whiskey???

Don't be ridiculous, it happens all over the world. More regularly in 3rd world countries because of lack of controls. A tachometer in every long distance vehicle should be the norm plus more technology to help drivers, as I mentioned in my previous post.

There is technology for this in australia ,there are buzzing noises when the speed limit is exceeded and cameras all along the major truck routes to monitor driving times and then there are eye observation instruments that can read the drivers eyes for tiredness....but this is a developing country and australia was the same 50 years ago.

Obviously the latter posters didn't read page 1, regarding safety technology ;)

And it's not only in Mercs, but Volvo etc and many others have employed it for years, the the mentioned particularly in their coaches as standard, and not an optional extra.

Oh My F*@^ing God... I used to use this bus service but stopped from fear of being involved in a crash after some very close calls and decidedly 'hairy' moments. It cost more but I decided to fly to BKK from KK. It has all been said before on TV about Thai drivers and driving so ... 'nuff said.

I agree with some of the other posters this company is probably better than most but it is the DRIVING CULTURE in Thailand that is the problem. I am a trained, advanced skills driving instructor yet I know that even with all my training and skills, I am still at the mercy of some dopey brain dead fool behind the wheel.