Thailand's most popular car.

52midnight

2 Door Toyo Pick up is considered a commercial/farm unit whereby a 4 door is a car..tax and plate wise...one green other white.

our quad bike however has no plates.....

Both 2-door and 4-door pickups are white plated, the first one with green lettering, the latter one with black lettering.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other coutries driving toyota vios and yaris are luxuries but in Thailand it's using for taxis just like UK benz for taxis purpose what to lowering standard for the models and owners.

Bet you haven't seen any Vios or Yaris taxis in Thailand.

In other coutries driving toyota vios and yaris are luxuries but in Thailand it's using for taxis just like UK benz for taxis purpose what to lowering standard for the models and owners.

Bet you haven't seen any Vios or Yaris taxis in Thailand.

InTthe States as well as in Thailand a Yaris is a Yaris...smallest economy car Toyota makes

A Vios is a Corolla, one of the most popular cars in The States and Thailand

There doesn't seem to be a Vios in the US! Only 1.5 Yaris and 1.8 Corolla Altis.

Vios seems to be peculiar to Asia?

Thanks to steveromagnino for a most complete summary answer to my original question.

> the Toyota 2KD-FTV series at the top, followed by the Isuzu 4KJ1 series, then almost a tie on the Toyota 1KD-FTV and Isuzu 4JJ1 in 3rd/4th, with 5th going to the Toyota 1NZ-FE and 6th to the Honda L15A series. The rest are small fry compared to these.

And especially for this - hadn't expected to get so down and technical, but v useful.

Edited by 52midnight

Bit miss-leading when some companies wont do fleet sales to the Taxi Mafia. I would say 1Vios and then 2City, 3Jazz and 4Yaris as leaders, in context to the O.P.s question. Mazda2 would be up there but not been around as long the rest, now they have distanced themselves from Ford, they are the ones to expand sales imo.coffee1.gif .

Bit miss-leading when some companies wont do fleet sales to the Taxi Mafia..

Ace here's a taxi mafia version Altis Limo. I think the only difference i can notice in these is plastic seat covers. I am sure there are more. Maybe factory LPG? I guess there are large taxi companies so maybe there are fleet sales?

1343915189.jpg

In Phuket I have a feeling that 80% of new cars (with red plates) are the new Vios. It's impressive, the car is not even a year old and you can seem them everywhere. Seems like they are selling like hotcakes for some reason. The new City looks quite nice, so maybe it will reverse that tendency.

thai males have a problem with the old "mine is bigger than yours" sydrome so they have to have the biggest available, the fact that many have no idea how to drive them doesnt come into it because they just like to puff out the chest when they pull up where ever they likerolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

You really think this "sydrome??" is a Thai problem more than amongst males in the west?

Mid-Life-Crisis-photo2-300x222.jpg

And do you not feel that your attempt to knock Thai males is childishly petty and suggests you feel inadequate & challenged?

716H4TJEEAL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Edited by Suradit69

I cannot speak with statistics, but experience, after been the proud owner of a Ford Focus 2.0 which was a great driving car and once compared it with my many different BMWs which I drove for over 20 years.However, I found out when I went to sell it almost no Thaii want an American or German car but rather a Japanese car and the one most mentioned to me was any model of Honda, which apparently gets the best resell value. I looked at the Civic before buying my Ford and kind of wished would have bought it, although I did enjoy my Ford Focus a lot. One problem though with the Ford passenger cars I found is you cannot drive them through any depth of water, such as a partially flooded Soi. Mine got flooded out twice with all computer chips fried and needed 2 months of replace work to fix. Apparently, they have an air scoop for the engine cooling system that is close to the ground and shucks up the water into the engine is over 1 foot deep. However, noticed that the Hondas and Toyotas are moving through fairly deep water without problems. So if you get deep road water during the rainy season, better to stay away from the Fords.

• Like 1

Perhaps IMHO can remember when Toyota's were being sold off as a cut price Taxi in a base color by some spivs, when they advertised in the Big English papers here they got caught out, but not before Joe Public saved a packet with just a re spray in their color choice needed. about 16 years ago..

InTthe States as well as in Thailand a Yaris is a Yaris...smallest economy car Toyota makes

A Vios is a Corolla, one of the most popular cars in The States and Thailand

There doesn't seem to be a Vios in the US! Only 1.5 Yaris and 1.8 Corolla Altis.

Vios seems to be peculiar to Asia?

and not in Europe....Not surprising, when you see the crash test results......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH34V4Wk7-s

Thanks to steveromagnino for a most complete summary answer to my original question.

> the Toyota 2KD-FTV series at the top, followed by the Isuzu 4KJ1 series, then almost a tie on the Toyota 1KD-FTV and Isuzu 4JJ1 in 3rd/4th, with 5th going to the Toyota 1NZ-FE and 6th to the Honda L15A series. The rest are small fry compared to these.

And especially for this - hadn't expected to get so down and technical, but v useful.

my pleasure.

A few of the posts in this thread with claims of what people drive/don't drive/use as taxis certainly reinforces that "better to stay silent and have people suspect you are a moron, than post online, and confirm it" :-)

And now let me confirm it for myself 55555555

Regarding 'taxi mafia' I do not know who this refers to, but taxis are mostly either owner driven or part of a taxi company's pool and rented out by day/12 hour shift. All taxis have a minimum standard 1600CC/not more than 11 years (might be 13 years) old 4 door, and since the fees are fixed, there is an incentive to use gas with a 1600CC engine (a few of the Thairung SUVs are part of some dodgy govt subsidised deal done in the past).

The taxi regulations are set to favour Toyota, it is no surprise that, if you doubt this, the private vans have a choice of Toyota....or Toyota pretty much to run those private bus vans - Mingkwan went from Toyota into the PPP/PT government - there is a lot of collusion not maybe directly due to Toyota themselves, but the suppliers of Toyota, plus they are the biggest car brand here by quite a bit so they get what they want (Honda don't do pick ups, Isuzu doesn't really do cars, only Toyota does both properly).

Obviously, owner drivers pick whatever car they want which fits the criteria, but pool operators like Suvaranbhumi Taxi (the green ones) tend to choose a car which has a cheap base model, fleet discount (not much of a discount but often good financing), reliability, cheap replacement parts, robust interior, suitable to fit gas tank, generally manual (more reliable), decent size, reasonable resale at high miles - this almost always means a Toyota. There is nothing stopping someone from using a Honda Civic, a CRV, etc etc as a taxi - however the economics of the tiny margins and need to fit gas plus sizing etc (and fact that seats etc are all so easily available for the Altis) makes the Toyota the 'safe choice' - also because they have their own mechanics (often) it's easier if all the cars use the same spark plugs, exhausts, locks etc etc so you can keep as many cars on the road at all times as possible.

Sometimes you see a few of the owner drivers choosing something else, sometimes Nissan, Mitsu, etc and these are the ones you are more likely to see being autos. I believe Honda do not really offer good fleet discounts compared to Toyota, but this is only based on what Taxi pool operators have told me in the past.

Bear in mind a taxi does over 100,000km per year, so by year 7/8/9 it is often pushing almost 1m kms; Toyotas have a proven reputation for being able to reach this and keep going mechanically; if you were to start driving a less well known brand e.g. Hyundai or Puegeot - price upfront isn't so different but who knows how much it will cost in maintenance to reach 1m kms. Incidentally, this is a good reason not to ride around in older cabs.

As I already pointed out, 10,000cars a year MAX are going into the taxi industry in Bangkok, that ain't the major driving factor for car sales (which are 1m+ vehicles a year).

Edited by steveromagnino

A corrola is an altis in thailand

No it isn't. The Toyota Corolla is the Corolla; the Corolla Altis is a higher specification version of the Corolla.

So A corolla is a Corolla but a Corolla Altis is not a Corolla but instead a high spec Corolla............... allrighty then.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

thai males have a problem with the old "mine is bigger than yours" sydrome so they have to have the biggest available, the fact that many have no idea how to drive them doesnt come into it because they just like to puff out the chest when they pull up where ever they likerolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

And do you not feel that your attempt to knock Thai males is childishly petty and suggests you feel inadequate & challenged?

716H4TJEEAL._SL500_AA300_.gif

HUH, "childishly petty", SURELY thats you "Suradit69". You need to grow some skin and get a life

> Why the interest OP?

Completely off-topic, but since you asked, and very briefly. I'm interested in Thai society as having certain unique characteristics that make it a possible candidate for new social and technological developments. During the past few decades it has successfully completed a nation-wide electrification program, and its leaders probably feel that they can sit back for a while. Unfortunately, unbeknownst both to them and the majority of Westerners, we're about a decade away from a whole new phase of electrical generation and reticulation. For the first I'd simply mention thorium and geothermal, and leave you to connect the dots. For the latter, perhaps this as a starter:

http://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/cole-bin/4423251/Will-Edison-s-Direct-Current-power-grid-idea-catch-on-

The Thais can either sit back and wait for the West to invent, manufacture and commercialize the requisite technology and infrastructure, then allow themselves to be conned into buying it at top rates (the traditional scenario) or get stuck into the job themselves. Adapting existing technology for small-scale power generation is an obvious first step.

'Nuf said.

> pickups win by a massive margin.

Yes, this comes through strongly on the Inet. Govt incentives undoubtedly play a part, as also would the large agrarian population.

> Toyota Vios

Called the Yaris here.

> The Toyota Hilux actually, closely followed by the Isuzu pickup with all it's various names.

I know the Hilux, but have never been able to distinguish most small modern cars - they blend into a beige blur in my mind.

So it's four cylinder engines, then - petrol, I'd guess, with an increasing number of diesels?

>. you want petrol, diesel, electric,

Hmm, electric! Wouldn't have much appeal over there, I wouldn't think, though I could be wrong.

And nobody's mentioned the Thai Rung. "Based on the Toyota Hilux Vigo" according to Wikipedia, so I suppose it's a Toyota engine with Thai bolt-ons.

I got to the "Thai bolt-ons" part and began to cackle gleefully, oh some of the things you see in LOS. Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh.

Edited by pineconehead

> oh some of the things you see in LOS.

This is one of the main reasons for my long affection for the East; that priave, amateur innovation is still possible. Here in Oz, EVERYTHING is owned either by the TNCs or the Govt. You can't step off a country road anywhere without being either on private property or govt land, both with an endless list of "Thou shalt not...". Even putting the regn sticker on your car in the wrong place can lead to a hefty fine. And just to make sure that all local innovation is stamped out, they're shutting down all manufacturing, including the local car industry and food processors.

I've been much heartened to watch the Thais determination to throw out the corrupt Shinawatras. Her brother is CFR and generously backed by numerous Wall Street Crims; but then the USA is a failed police state run and governed by crooks, so any American support is bound to be evil.

No it isn't. The Toyota Corolla is the Corolla; the Corolla Altis is a higher specification version of the Corolla.

So A corolla is a Corolla but a Corolla Altis is not a Corolla but instead a high spec Corolla............... allrighty then.

Absolutely spot-on based on what you posted, but that's not what I said. Good to see that you understand your own post.

My point was that in Thailand Toyota do sell the Corolla, there is no car called the Toyota Altis sold in place of the Corolla as HooHaa posted. The higher specification Corolla is the Corolla Altis. Very simple really.

Absolutely spot-on based on what you posted, but that's not what I said. Good to see that you understand your own post.

My point was that in Thailand Toyota do sell the Corolla, there is no car called the Toyota Altis sold in place of the Corolla as HooHaa posted. The higher specification Corolla is the Corolla Altis. Very simple really.

"Altis" it's not a grade, it's just a series moniker.

i.e. Altis is to Corolla as VIGO is to Hilux.

In Thailand the series moniker is generally used to refer to the model, when such a thing exists...