Raspberry Jam in Chiang Mai

FiftyTwo

Hi Fifty Two, I buy the 1kg packets of Raspberries,but the granulated ones,they are only 65 bht

a Kg, you did not mention Lemons, which you need for the jam to set, couple lemons for 2 kg,

extract the juice and peel the Lemons and put them in pan too.

I have been making jams with the Frozen fruit from Makro for a few years now,Blackberry,Raspberry,

Apricot (been non this year),and even managed to get some fresh Rhubarb, Rhubarb and ginger my

favourite. also if you make a lot like i do you have to sterilize the jars and lids so it keeps long time

regards orgeordie

• Like 2

^^No need for lemons limes^^ (Not with raspberry jam anyway)

You just need to be careful of the cooking time, and check it will set, I dipped a cold spoon in, thick drips = finished.

post-176974-0-63675700-1392800728_thumb.

Made the bread too.

Not so big a saving though, but still half the price of store bread.

Not sure about the sterilizing, rinsed out the jars with boiling water, hoping that will do.

Just surprised how cheap and easy it is making a premium price product.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Hi Fifty Two, I buy the 1kg packets of Raspberries,but the granulated ones,they are only 65 bht

a Kg, you did not mention Lemons, which you need for the jam to set, couple lemons for 2 kg,

extract the juice and peel the Lemons and put them in pan too.

I have been making jams with the Frozen fruit from Makro for a few years now,Blackberry,Raspberry,

Apricot (been non this year),and even managed to get some fresh Rhubarb, Rhubarb and ginger my

favourite. also if you make a lot like i do you have to sterilize the jars and lids so it keeps long time

regards orgeordie

Don't encourage him!

52 is turning into a proper mrs Beaton.

If you want to make scones, yoghurt, bread, cake he....yes HE is your man.

@52 your new venture "cooking on a budget"

Good one mate, no really!

• Like 1

Somehow I think sugar is an additive. Not found in Smuckers Brothers sugar free.

Think of the money you could save and not add sugar to your intake. I can assure you here in Thailand you do not have to go out of your way to get an intake of sugar.

Smuckers sugar free raspberry preserves uses, Splenda sweetener ..... isn't that carcinogenic?

Trade name for sucralose.

Here it is .......

"The consumer advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest, downgraded sucralose from "Safe" to "Caution" in June 2013, citing a new study linking sucralose consumption with leukemia risk in rats."

@HD

While I can understand that someone in your state of health must worry about things like sugar intake, as a sporting person (currently running/hiking about 12 hours a week) I need every source of fat and energy I can eat to keep my weigh up.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Somehow I think sugar is an additive. Not found in Smuckers Brothers sugar free.

Think of the money you could save and not add sugar to your intake. I can assure you here in Thailand you do not have to go out of your way to get an intake of sugar.

Smuckers sugar free raspberry preserves uses, Splenda sweetener ..... isn't that carcinogenic?

Here it is .......

"The consumer advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest, downgraded sucralose from "Safe" to "Caution" in June 2013, citing a new study linking sucralose consumption with leukemia risk in rats."

@HD

While I can understand that someone in your state of health must worry about things like sugar intake, as a sporting person (currently running/hiking about 12 hours a week) I need every source of fat and energy I can eat to keep my weigh up.

one could use raw sugar instead of the processed white sugar.

• Like 1

Here it is .......

@HD

one could use raw sugar instead of the processed white sugar.

I must look up what the difference is between the two. Can't be much if any.

1. TOPs Chotana (?), by the old Novotel just off Chang Puak Road, had several jars of Smuckers Raspberry Jam at lunchtime today !

2. I've never tried it, is it really that good ?

It was the only supplier of Raspberry jam in Thailand, that I found.

That was before I started making my own, won't be buying any more, mine is a lot cheaper and just as good.

Now if only I could find a way to make my own Marmite (English flavour not Kiwi), at reasonable cost, my life in Thailand would be perfect.

I've been making strawberry, raspberry, blueberry freezer jam for years now. So easy to half thaw a bag of Makro berries then add sugar to your taste, then a little gelatin and smash it up and stick it back in the freezer. I use recycled plastic ice cream tubs and in the morning with my homemade toast, I'll give the tub a quick half thaw so that it's soft enough to spread................great taste at 1/4th the cost.

• Like 1

Mmmmm sounds good. Does that work with bacon?

You can buy the same cuts of pork, but unprocessed, in Makro or Big C, for 1/4 the price of good smoked German-style bacon, slice it, salt it well, then rub on a few drops of "Liquid Smoke," wrap it all up and put it in the fridge overnight. Fry it up the next morning for some delicious western-style bacon.

1. TOPs Chotana (?), by the old Novotel just off Chang Puak Road, had several jars of Smuckers Raspberry Jam at lunchtime today !

That was before I started making my own, won't be buying any more, mine is a lot cheaper and just as good.

Now if only I could find a way to make my own Marmite (English flavour not Kiwi), at reasonable cost, my life in Thailand would be perfect.

Well for anyone still buying smuckers, Yok had lots of jars today.

225bt for a big jar and 125 for a small jar.

It appears yok only stock the smuckers brand

i like Hero brand. made in Switzerland where most things are done properly.

Yes they did a great job showing prejudice and racism against a certain lady called Ophrah...bittershoen!

Wonder if Ophrah likes raspberry jam.....to keep on topic

Well for anyone still buying smuckers, Yok had lots of jars today.

225bt for a big jar and 125 for a small jar.

It appears yok only stock the smuckers brand

Tesco-Lotus Kantiam had six different Smuckers jams/marmalades today, also their own raspberry-jam too.

Actually their own-label cheap orange-marmalade @ B53 is pretty good, lots of shreds of peel, in it !

But I do like the OP's idea for homemade, must try that myself !

i like Hero brand. made in Switzerland where most things are done properly.

Yes they did a great job showing prejudice and racism against a certain lady called Ophrah...bittershoen!

Wonder if Ophrah likes raspberry jam.....to keep on topic

???

Ah..i see what you are saying....not the Hero Co. but an incident at a Swiss boutique...missed that news item.

Edited by Oscar2